Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,408 Words
  • 10,116 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

HMS Valiant - 22. Chapter 22

Sorry for the long delay.  It's a busy time, so the slowdown is likely to continue.  Sorry.  :(

November, 1799

HMS Valiant

 

Granger was cold, the kind of cold that came from battling a November storm. He marveled at what a potent cocktail the wind and waves were. First, the frigid water would wash over the ship, permeating most of his clothing, creating a damp casing around his body. Then the wind would come in to deliver the coup de gras, making his wet garments feel as if they were encased in ice.

Granger had been on deck for four hours, despite being soaked by the same wave that had almost carried Lady Elgin away. He had seen nothing of her since he’d taken her back to his cabin, but her terrified maid had scurried back and forth, presumably to find something dry for her to wear. Weston arrived on deck, casting his eyes around, even though the darkness still had them in its grip.

“I believe it is my watch, my lord,” he shouted, while still managing to sound cheerful. Granger gave him a cursory overview of the status of the ship, and then went aft to his cabin.

“My lord, let’s get you out of those wet clothes,” Winkler said, waiting to take care of him. He knew Granger’s routine for storms, and he’d known the watch was about to change, so he had things ready for his freezing captain. He led Granger into his sleeping cabin, and helped him peel off his coat, scarf, and uniform, then gave him a shirt and some trousers, both of which were deliciously warm.

“This is a wonderful treat,” Granger said. “Thank you.”

“I used the stove to warm them, my lord,” he explained. Granger noticed that his cabin was significantly warmer than it would have otherwise been. This stove was turning out to be an incredibly thoughtful gift from Cavendish, but of course Granger was not content to leave it at that. Instead, he tortured himself by imagining that Cavendish had only given it to him to assuage his guilt over fucking Granger’s wife. “Her Ladyship is resting in your gallery, my lord.”

That fortunately pulled Granger’s mind off that tortuous path, and onto an equally unpleasant one. “I shall go check on her.”

“Your bed is ready when you are done, my lord,” Winkler told him, as if to remind him there was something to look forward to when he was done talking to Lady Elgin.

Granger walked out of his sleeping cabin and into the main cabin, and found Lady Elgin sitting in one of his comfortable chairs. She was quite near the stove, which had lost much of its warmth. “I see you have recovered,” Granger noted.

“I nearly drowned,” she said.

“That is true,” Granger said. “It was unwise for you to come up on deck during a storm.”

“And how was I to know that?”

“One would think that some simple common sense would have been enough to dissuade you,” Granger said coldly. “And if that did not, my directive that you express your needs to your husband should have precluded you from coming up on deck.”

“Those rules seemed irrelevant in the face of the incredible discomfort I was facing,” she complained. “Water was pouring through the ceiling, and was sloshing about the floor, making it seem like I was in a wet tomb.”

“Sea travel is often unpleasant when a storm is encountered,” Granger said calmly. “It is not something to be enjoyed; it is something to be endured.”

“Well, I seem to have survived,” she said.

“You were lucky I was able to spot your petticoats in the darkness, otherwise you would have been washed overboard,” Granger said. “I am wondering if you have learned your lesson.”

“Do not patronize me,” she said.

“If you cannot adhere to simple rules, I will have no choice but to have you locked below until we reach Minorca, then I will leave you there,” Granger said.

“You wouldn’t dare!” she said, outraged.

“Winkler, pass the word for Major Treadway,” Granger said. Her eyes bulged. “He is to bring two of his men with him.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Winkler said. Lady Elgin just glared at him, while they waited for Treadway and two of his marines to arrive. It took a bit, since Treadway was not on watch.

“You sent for me, my lord?” Treadway asked. He looked slightly disheveled, which was unusual for him, a sure sign that he’d been asleep. Two marines stood behind him.

“You will take Lady Elgin below and lock her in the cell until I have instructed you otherwise,” Granger said.

“You cannot do this!” she shouted.

“Aye aye, my lord,” Treadway said. “My lady, if you would accompany us, it would make this easier.”

“Such unchivalrous actions are certainly beneath Your Lordship,” she spat at Granger.

“I think my manners have been exemplary, considering the nature of the person I have been dealing with,” Granger noted.

“When we get to Minorca, we will see if the governor agrees with you,” she said nastily. “He will likely relieve you of your command on the spot!”

“Sir Charles Stuart is the governor,” Granger said, something she presumably already knew. “He is the brother of Lord Bute, who is a good friend of my father’s and of mine as well.” Granger was amazed that Walpole had evidently shared none of their conversation with the Elgins, or at least with Lady Elgin. “And even if he were of a mind to remove me from command, he does not have the authority to do that.” Granger nodded to the marines, who grabbed her firmly and carried her below. As if to signify one last bit of annoyance, the cold wind blew into his cabin as she was removed. It was as frigid as she was.

“You’ll need to get some rest, my lord,” Winkler said, clucking about him like a mother hen.

“Lord Elgin will no doubt be looking to speak to me,” Granger said with a wry smile. “You may tell him I will see him at dawn, and you will wake me in time to prepare to meet with him.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Winkler said. He tucked Granger into his cot, and Granger got a very welcome three hours of sleep. Yet it was still agonizing when Winkler nudged him awake.

Granger grudgingly got out of his cot, and allowed Winkler to help him dress, and then he went out onto the quarterdeck. It was much as it had been when he’d left the deck. “No sign of the storm easing, my lord,” Weston yelled.

“Indeed not,” Granger said. Before he could do anything else, Lord Elgin was there, demanding his attention.

“You have locked my wife up as if she were a common criminal!” Granger was willing to bet he would be yelling even if he didn’t have to raise his volume simply to be heard over the wind.

“We can discuss it over breakfast,” Granger all but shouted back. “Perhaps you would prefer to wait in my cabin?”

Elgin nodded in a most ungracious way. Granger led Elgin to his cabin, asked Winkler to prepare breakfast for them, and then returned to deck. The ship heaved and pitched with the large waves, while the wind continued to blow strongly. Granger was pleased to note that it had veered, such that it was coming from the west, so at least it would blow them toward their destination. Dawn broke to show gray skies, slightly darker gray seas, and nothing in sight at all.

Weston was standing there, trying not to shiver from the cold. The poor man had been on deck for five hours now. Granger damned the Elgins yet again, irritated with them and with himself for letting their issues and pettiness distract him from his duties to his ship and his officers. His personal rule, that either he or Weston were on deck during a storm, was going to force Weston to spend another hour in this frigid weather.

Granger noticed Clifton there, as it was technically his watch. He remembered how Clifton had managed Belvidera on their way back to England after the Battle of St. Vincent. That storm had been more violent than this one, and Granger had trusted his ship to Clifton, who was then serving as first lieutenant. He pondered that it was ridiculous not to trust Clifton now, and then his mind rebelled against violating his own rules. But the memory of the Battle of St. Vincent had reminded Granger of Nelson’s maneuver, how he’d broken the rules and swung Captain out of line and ultimately captured the San Josef and San Nicholas. Sometimes rules could be adjusted. Besides, it would do well to show confidence in Clifton, and to demonstrate that to the others.

“Mr. Clifton, you have the watch,” Granger shouted.

Clifton looked mildly surprised. “Aye aye, my lord.”

“I would like to speak with you, Mr. Weston,” Granger said.

“Of course, my lord,” he said. He nodded to Clifton, and followed Granger into the chartroom.

They closed the door firmly, grateful to be out of the wind. Poor Weston was so cold, his teeth were chattering. “I think Mr. Clifton is more than capable of taking his watch.”

“He is an excellent seaman, my lord,” Weston said.

“I am going to have breakfast with Lord Elgin, and then I am going to bed,” Granger announced.

“I think I will go below and try to thaw, my lord,” Weston joked, even as his teeth chattered.

“As am I,” Granger said. He vanished into his cabin, while Weston went back out into the piercing wind to the quarterdeck, and then below to the wardroom.

Granger strode confidently into his cabin and to his table, where Elgin was already seated. Winkler promptly had breakfast served to them, then scurried off to let them talk. “The way you are treating my wife is an insult to me and to my family!” Elgin said.

“I fancy that if I were tasked to take you to Constantinople without your wife, we would have had a most enjoyable voyage, storms notwithstanding,” Granger observed.

“That does not excuse your behavior,” Elgin said.

“My assertion that we would have gotten along without her presence, but with her, we are all of us considerably burdened, would seem to excuse my behavior,” Granger countered. “If it were not for my efforts, she would have been washed overboard in the storm last night.”

“What are you talking about?” Granger explained how she’d come on deck to rant about the conditions, and how she’d been hit by the rogue wave that had washed over Valiant. “Thank you for saving my wife from drowning,” Elgin said grudgingly.

“Once again, she interfered in the middle of a maneuver, only this time, it was not the reputation of our ship that was on the line, it was the very survival of the ship,” Granger said firmly.

“While I am most sorry that happened, I cannot see how that justifies your locking her up as if she was in the Fleet Street Prison,” he said.

“She has consistently challenged my authority to command this ship, an action which borders on treason,” Granger said.

“She was merely unhappy about the conditions aboard,” Elgin said.

“She was not,” Granger said. “She wants to rule my ship as fully as she rules you.”

“That is insulting!”

“It is also true,” Granger noted calmly. “If you do not learn to control your wife, your future will be destroyed, and your mission will be a failure. You can posture with me all that you want, but you know I am right. You are much too talented to let her derail you from your plans.” Granger was of no great opinion regarding Elgin’s skills, but he’d decided a little praise may help in this situation.

“Thank you,” Elgin said grudgingly.

“I am committed to sail as far as Sicily,” Granger said. He knew he had to do that, if only to meet with Nelson for Spencer, and to deliver Keith’s dispatches to him. “I will have your wife released into your custody. I have clearly explained the rules of this vessel. If she violates them again, I will land her in Sicily.”

“Then you will destroy my mission,” Elgin said.

“You will have the option to continue on without her,” Granger said. “If you do not, you may stay with her, or return to England. I daresay that if you return to England, your hope of any future diplomatic posts will be dashed.”

“You are known to give your wife the freedom to manage your affairs,” Elgin said. “How is that different?”

“My wife does not defy the authority of the Crown, nor is she so shrewish that she is unwelcome in polite circles,” Granger said. “Can you say the same thing?”

Elgin stood up in a huff. “Thank you for releasing my wife into my custody. I will urge her to do better.”

“I will not be countermanded on my ship,” Granger said firmly. “If she cannot understand a basic chain of command, then perhaps it is better for us to land her in Sicily.”

“I will attempt to give her clarity on that, at least,” Elgin grumbled.

“You may speak with Major Treadway and pass on my orders to release your wife,” Granger said.

“Thank you,” Elgin said, and then left his cabin.

Granger got up and was about to go back out on the deck, but then stopped himself. He had given Clifton the watch, and if he reappeared so soon after doing so, it would make Clifton think Granger had no confidence in him. So Granger opted to do something completely foreign for him; he opted to take a nap.

Winkler came into the dining cabin, carrying his coat, and that decided it. He would show Winkler he wasn’t entirely predictable. “I think I will go back to bed.”

It was pleasant to see Winkler blink in surprise. “Of course, my lord.”

Granger went into his sleeping cabin and let Winkler tuck him in as if he were a child. It was wonderfully warm; he’d kept the door to this cabin closed, and it had kept the heat in. Granger luxuriated in the bed as he felt the coldness leave his body. There was a knock on his door, and then Winkler stuck his head in.

“My lord, Mr. Weston would like to speak with you,” Winkler said.

“You may let him in,” Granger said, as he sat up to receive him.

Winkler let Weston in, and then promptly closed the door behind him to keep the heat in. “I would apologize for interrupting you, my lord, but feeling this heat, I cannot honestly say I am sorry.”

Granger chuckled with him, but felt sorry for him. Weston couldn’t speak without his teeth chattering. “Is this news you have for me something that will require me to get up?”

“No, my lord, rather it is information I discovered,” Weston said.

“Then pull up that chair and let us talk about this information, while you warm your bones,” Granger said playfully.

“I am most appreciative, my lord,” Weston said. He pulled up a chair and sat down. “How is Lady Elgin, my lord?”

“She is little changed,” Granger said ruefully. “One would have hoped that almost being washed overboard would have adjusted her attitude, but sadly, that does not appear to be the case.”

“That is most unfortunate, my lord,” Weston said. “I was endeavoring to sleep when I heard two members of Lord Elgin’s staff conversing in the wardroom.”

“Which members?” Granger asked.

“His Lordship’s physician, and His Lordship’s private secretary,” Weston replied.

“And what information innocently reached your ears, Mr. Weston?” Granger asked.

“My lord, the two men were discussing Lady Elgin’s father. It was easy enough to discern from their conversation that he is involved with the Guild,” Weston said. “Based on our dealings with Sir Tobias Maidstone on our last voyage, I thought that would be interesting to you.”

“You are correct, Mr. Weston,” Granger said. “That is most interesting. I should not be surprised what with Lady Elgin’s link to the merchant community, but I am most surprised that Lord Elgin is linked to that organization.”

“The men were joking about how Lord Elgin was evidently quite taken aback by the news. If they were speaking the truth, His Lordship was not aware of Her Ladyship’s connection to that organization,” Weston said.

“I am perplexed as to how this would possibly explain Her Ladyship’s behavior,” Granger mused. What was her agenda?

“Their conversation did not shed any light on that, my lord,” Weston said. “I’m sorry.”

“There is nothing for you to be sorry for, Mr. Weston. In fact, I am most grateful to you for relaying that news to me.”

“I had hoped that information was worth disturbing Your Lordship’s rest,” Weston said, with his trademark smile.

“And so it was,” Granger said. “If you learn more, please let me know.”

“Of course, my lord,” Weston said pleasantly.

“Then I will leave you to quest for some food and dry clothes,” Granger said with a smile, dismissing Weston.

Weston left, the cold air blowing into the cabin as he did, but Granger remained there, contemplating this latest revelation. The Guild had caused him considerable discomfort, as they were instrumental in having him shipped around the world last year. They’d succeeded in toppling Bertie from his post as Governor of Amboyna, but had not been able to select his replacement. They had sensed weakness in Granger’s powerful family, and had closed in for the kill. If Lady Elgin was posturing with him at the behest of the Guild, that meant they must feel he was once again vulnerable. Worse than that, it meant that she had considerable power in London, far more than he had been led to believe.

That train of thought inevitably made Granger think of home, and he found himself getting angry with Caroline all over again. Her inability to conduct her affairs with decorum could have exposed the rift in their relationship, and that must have been tempting to the Guild, much as blood was to a shark. But what could possibly be Lady Elgin’s purpose in antagonizing him? And if she was doing this intentionally and not just being a complete shrew, was Lord Elgin involved?

He ruminated on those thoughts, and decided that it was unlikely that the Guild would have learned of his issues with Caroline in time to arrange Lord Elgin’s assignment to Constantinople. That was probably just icing on the cake. But it was entirely likely they’d engineered things such that Elgin was assigned to his ship for passage to Constantinople.

His mind shifted back to their motives, and how that may have influenced Lady Elgin to be such a shrew. It was possible, probable in fact, that such behavior by her was a normal state of affairs. She was most likely a pampered lady, indulged by her father, and she probably expected the rest of society to treat her with the same indulgence her father had shown her. But why would she try to provoke Granger? What would be the benefit to that?

Granger thought about getting up and pacing, but he was enjoying the warmth of his cabin too much to leave. Instead, he lay on his back with his hands underneath his head and his arms spread out. If she pushed him as she had, what would ultimately happen? Granger had repeatedly warned her, and had explained clearly the consequences of her actions. He had told her that she would be thrown off his ship if such behavior continued, and indeed, such behavior had continued. Surely she didn’t want him to leave her stranded in Minorca or Sicily?

Then Granger began to answer his own questions, discounting all of his preconceived notions about her objectives, and stared at the facts in front of him. Granger had assumed she wanted to remain on board, that supporting her husband in Constantinople was her key motivator, but perhaps that was not the case. Perhaps she wanted Granger to force her off the ship. If that happened, she would probably force Elgin to join her. Their conversations when the voyage had first started had shown that she had little regard for Elgin’s mission, and was less than enthusiastic about being in Constantinople. If he forced her to disembark, they would all probably return to England.

And now the reality broke over him, as Granger began to understand her plan. She would force Granger to toss her off Valiant, then she would return to England and spread lies about how rudely he had treated her. The Guild would intervene and back her efforts, and despite her reputation, she may very well succeed in damaging his own standing at Court, and with the government. Lady Elgin’s father was a member of Parliament, and was rumored to be an ally of Henry Dundas. Granger had no great love for Dundas, who had worked to block the abolition of the slave trade, and had so poorly supported Hood at Toulon back in 1793 he had squandered an excellent opportunity to change the outcome of this war. Dundas was probably the most influential Scotsman in the realm, and he was one of Pitt’s key associates. If Lady Elgin’s father were indeed linked to Dundas, he would be a formidable foe.

Granger knew that his father would fight for him, and so would Caroline, but would that be enough? The Elgins would stress that Granger’s treatment of Lady Elgin had been coarse and inexcusable, but worse than that, his behavior had destroyed this valuable mission, this opportunity to form and foster an alliance with the Ottoman Empire. In addition, she would use that as an excuse to advance Lord Elgin’s career. Rather than be ruined, Elgin could use this as a stepping-stone to a much better assignment, perhaps in England. The Guild would shift their efforts from discrediting him to advancing Elgin, and it would seem to be a reasonable reward for enduring such reprehensible behavior at Granger’s hands.

Granger decided to accept his hypothesis for Lady Elgin’s motives, but he wondered what Lord Elgin’s involvement in this scheme was. Was he involved, plotting to inflame Granger to the point that he was removed from Valiant? While Lady Elgin had given off numerous signals that she did not want to go to Constantinople, Elgin had seemed quite excited about his mission. He had become especially enthusiastic when he talked about visiting the sites of former Greek civilizations. Fascination with ancient Greece had become quite the fad in Britain, and Elgin was an expert on that society, as were his retainers.

The cabin door opened slightly, just enough to let Winkler squeeze his slim body in. “My lord, did you need anything?”

Granger was of a mind to dismiss him, but then he remembered that Winkler would have access to Lord Elgin’s staff. “I have two things I would like you to do for me.”

“My lord?”

“I have just learned that Lady Elgin is linked to the Guild. Her father is a member.”

“The same organization that Sir Tobias Maidstone was involved with, my lord?”

“The very same,” Granger answered. “I would like you and Jacobs to keep your ears open, lest any members of Lord Elgin’s staff inadvertently reveal information about the connection of Lord and Lady Elgin to the Guild, or about their possible schemes regarding this voyage.”

“I will make some discreet inquiries, my lord,” Winkler said.

“Thank you, Winkler. I appreciate your help.”

“You said there were two things, my lord?” Winkler asked.

“I would like to have dinner with Lord Elgin this afternoon. I want to dine with him alone.”

“I will arrange it, my lord,” Winkler said.

Granger’s acute seamanship noticed a change in the motion of the ship. “I will go on deck and see if the storm has moderated. If it has, we may be able to light the galley fire.”

“Let me get your gear together, my lord,” Winkler said, and scurried from the cabin. He returned shortly, and wrapped Granger up in warm clothes, then his oilskins.

Granger thanked him, and then left, regretting the coolness outside his sleeping cabin. He was even more regretful when he emerged onto the quarterdeck. It was still very frigid, but the winds had already begun to moderate, and with each passing minute, they seemed to lessen even more. “I was just about to send for you, sir,” Clifton said. “I think the winds have moderated enough to let us get some sail on her.”

“I agree,” Granger said. “Set us back on course, due east. Reefed topsails.”

“Aye aye sir,” Clifton said. He began to belt out orders, and the bosun’s mates blew their whistles, calling the watch. Granger watched as Clifton deftly put Valiant back on course, admiring the seamanship of his young lieutenant.

“That was well done,” Granger said.

“Thank you, sir,” Clifton said, grinning at praise from Granger, who was quite the hero to him.

“Please have the galley fire lit, then you may dismiss the hands to dinner,” Granger said.

“They will relish a warm meal, sir,” Clifton said with a smile, and then gave orders to that effect.

Granger went back to his cabin, where the smell of food permeated his quarters. “Dinner will be ready shortly, my lord,” Winkler said. “Lord Elgin is on his way aft.”

“Excellent,” Granger said. He went to his dining table and noticed that Winkler had removed the leaves, which made it much smaller, and more intimate. No sooner had Granger sat down, than he was compelled to get up and greet Elgin.

“I am surprised to be honored to dine with you twice in one day,” Elgin said.

“I am pleased that you were able to join me,” Granger said affably, and gestured for Elgin to have a seat.

“My wife has survived her time below, but it was most unpleasant for her,” Elgin complained.

“I am quite certain it was no more unpleasant than she has been,” Granger noted.

“It is not easy for a woman in her condition to endure a lengthy sea voyage, where she has been constantly vexed by illness.”

“Let us please not pretend that is an excuse for her behavior,” Granger said firmly. “In fact, there is another reason for her actions, one that you have not shared with me.”

“Indeed?” Elgin asked.

“Indeed,” Granger replied. “And that is my reason for asking you to dine with me.”

“Then pray enlighten me,” Elgin said.

“You did not share with me that your father-in-law is a member of the Guild,” Granger noted. Elgin was a diplomat, and with the exception of encounters involving his wife, he maintained a stoic countenance. But Granger’s comment had caused him to show his shock plainly with his expression.

Elgin looked at him, as if trying to decide whether to argue about it, or admit it, but Granger’s severe look evidently compelled him to take the latter course. “I did not think it was a pertinent fact.”

“You did not think it was relevant?” Granger asked acidly. “You are completely unaware of my voyage around the world, and the circumstances that sent me there?”

“You will pardon me for noting that your voyage did much to contribute to your reputation and your purse.”

“While that is true, I am not sure that excuses their machinations, especially since I was also afflicted with the fever. That cursed disease nearly killed me,” Granger noted.

“There are many who would trade a near death experience for the riches you acquired,” Elgin said in almost a jocular way. Granger smiled back, especially when he considered that Elgin was most likely one of those men.

“So you are saddled with a domineering father-in-law, who is a member of one of the most powerful commercial alliances in the realm. That explains much about your wife’s behavior, but I am most surprised to find you affiliated with such a dishonorable crowd,” Granger said. He watched as his comment infuriated Elgin, which was the reaction he was hoping for. If he were truly part of that group, he would not be this outraged.

“I am not affiliated with that organization, other than through the link from my wife. I was not aware that my father-in-law was a member of that group until after I was married,” Elgin almost spat out.

“You were misled into your marriage,” Granger said, but it was almost a question. Elgin said nothing. “I am not your enemy. Why didn’t you tell me this in the first place?”

Elgin sighed, a gesture which normally annoyed Granger, but in this situation, he was willing to make some allowances. “It is difficult to know whom to trust.”

“Are you sincerely committed to your embassy in Constantinople?”

Elgin acted insulted. “I have pledged my services on this mission to His Majesty. I am most certainly committed.”

“Is your wife?”

“She is accompanying me, as is her duty,” Elgin said.

“Yet she is doing everything she can to compel me to force her to disembark in either Minorca or Sicily,” Granger said. He saw Elgin getting ready to object, but Granger continued before he could. “I would ask you to consider my words. If I put her off this ship, you would most likely follow her. You would then return to England.”

“I know that is her plan,” Elgin said. “But in order to thwart it, I must get her beyond Sicily.”

“Are you trying to tell me that you are merely humoring her until we depart from Sicily?” Granger asked.

“That is exactly what I am trying to do,” Elgin said. “If you are willing to pledge that you will not reveal my plans, I will share them with you.”

“I will gladly give you my pledge to keep what you tell me confidential, provided it is not treasonous,” Granger said with a smile.

“Hardly,” Elgin said. “My wife is used to ruling those around her, something she has learned by being pampered by her father. It is impossible for me to effect a change in her behavior while I am in Scotland, and under the watchful eye of my father-in-law.”

“He would intervene to protect her?” Granger asked, stunned. That was a completely foreign notion in a society which expected a wife to be obedient to her husband.

“He would, and he has,” Elgin said. “There are many reasons for me to take this post in Constantinople, but that is perhaps the most important.”

“So you must wait until you get beyond Sicily, where we are effectively beyond civilized society, so that you can reclaim your rightful role as head of your family,” Granger concluded.

“That is correct, and that is why I have been so willing to endure her horrendous behavior. I must get her beyond Sicily, where she can return only with my approval. Once we have passed that point, she will be out of range of my irascible and domineering father-in-law. She will have no choice but to adapt.”

“It would have been better if you had shared this with me in the first place,” Granger said.

“I have learned that it is often safer to play one’s cards close to one’s vest,” he replied.

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 69
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a calculating shrew. Even knowing her plan will not make putting up with her more endurable. Too bad George was able to save her from being washed overboard.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Though it is too bad that the shrew did not get washed overboard, at least Granger will have the pleasure of knowing that he has thwarted her plan - which is likely not something that she is used to…

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So there is more to Lady Elgin than meets the eye...and interestingly enough, more to Lord Elgin as well. It is nice to know, if they can just hang in there, she will finally get what she deserves. Would it be wrong to hope that her husband spanks her when they get to Constantinople? Too much? Ok then..publicly berate her in front of crew members after Sicily. I guess that would be a somewhat satisfying fantasy. The information George received about Lady Elgin and the guild is a further example of the loyalty Granger has from his men and why he is such a popular and successful Captain. Thanks for another thoroughly enjoyable chapter...cheers...Gary

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Manna from heaven. This was just the perfect way to finish off a week. It was worth the wait and we will all be on pins and needles until the next one arrives...

 

I love how even in the middle of everything he is going through, Granger thinks about how to show confidence in Clifton and make sure that those around him know that he has confidence in the young man. That says more than you can imagine about someone.

 

I am glad that Elgin finally decided to take Granger into his confidence, even though it took way to long for it to happen. Elgin for all the arguments to the contrary today because of his acquiring of the Elgin marbles and others works was very effective in his post in Constantinople and would have to have been a better politician then he has been portrayed so far in the story.

 

If Lady Elgin's father was friends with Henry Dundas then it would have been hard to go after her as long as she had his support. Dundas was probably at his strongest point about this time and was even appointed as one of the Lords of the Admiralty, although this proved to be his downfall. A few years later he was tried but acquitted of theft or misappropriation of public funds, I don't remember which; but I know he was acquitted but it finished him politically. The trial happened about the same time as the death of his greatest supporter, William Pitt the Younger so it could be argued that the acquittal might not have hurt so much had Pitt lived. Maybe the biggest knock today against Dundas was that the slave trade would probably have been abolished ten years earlier had it not been for Dundas' opposition to abolition.

 

Once again, a great chapter Mark, and I do love how you work real life historical figures into the stories so deftly and make them so relevant....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

You know it is a great Friday and going to be a great weekend when you awake in the morning to a new chapter of Streak and a new chapter of HMS Valiant. So, Lord Elgin isn't the idiot that we thought he was. That is great! It will be interesting to see how they manage the good Lady for the rest of the voyage. Another wonderful chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Such a jolly chapter ending with Granger and Lord Elgn conspiring to curb Lady Elgin's plans and the influence of her father. I'm sure Granger can sympatize with having an obnoxious father-in-law. :lol:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

No surprise that Lady Elgin is linked to the Guild. I would have thought Granger had guessed that by now. Good thing Granger figured her scheme out and Lord Elgin all but gave George confirmation. At least Elgin has a plan to nip his wife's antics in the bud and hopefully with Granger's help they will be successful.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love reading this story so much, both for the action and the intrigue. It's interesting how this turn of events really drives home the changes in society over the past few centuries. Jay-Z is basically praised for letting Solange Knowles wail on him without any response. Ray Rice has basically lost his career for abusing his wife...well, or for doing so in a public place on camera (the NFL doesn't seem to care about wife beating that goes on without video evidence). Most people think that is as it should be. In your story, by contrast, we have two men basically plotting to subdue an unruly wife. In fact, the trip appears to be partly designed to achieve that goal by Elgin. Granger is eager to help: mostly to punish her plotting against him personally, but at least partly to reinforce societal norms of wifely propriety and subservience. I don't know if you have thought of the situation in light of recent events (you probably have knowing how thoughtful you are), but either way it really brings alive history for the reader. It's like 18th century Mad Men in it's drama and social commentary! Great work as always, but don't overwork yourself at the start of the term.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well worth the wait--and you shouldn't apologize for a well-written (and well-edited) story. Cannot wait to see what happens next, but do take the time needed to tell the story--you've just added another dimension that others saw, but I didn't. Don't know why I'm like this, but I always like to see those who "cause problems" get their just rewards. We are all looking forward to what comes next. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am not especially into politics, but I do love a good bit of intrigue. This was especially intriguing. Well played!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Her agenda is now known and Lord Elgin will now be his ally. Since history says he got to his embassy posting, I guess will they succeed. However there are still two ports of call to go, what does she have up her sleeve? The guild is international and not without resources. Great chapter, thank you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A general thank you for the entire series. A pleasure to read gay historical fiction that is fact based. While I like sex, the story line and historical information is more important to me. Look forward to additional chapters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George's analytical mind, aided by Weston's information, has exposed Lady Elgin's devious plot. I think the plot lies with her father than herself.

Fortunately, Lord Elgin is proving to have more fortitude than he's shown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..