Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,178 Words
  • 7,979 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

HMS Valiant - 32. Chapter 32

December, 1799

Tenedos

 

The fortress had a very nice reception chamber, and it was amazing how nicely decorated it was, considering the short notice Kemal Bey had had to prepare a fete. There was a large table laid out, but as they were not all assembled, people were merely standing in small groups, chatting and drinking. Granger had invited Weston to join him, but he had requested to be allowed to remain aboard and attend to the ship. As the first lieutenant, his life was full of minute details to make sure Valiant was always in fighting form. Weston seemed to embrace these duties, unlike many first lieutenants, who seemed to view them with dread. With Weston preoccupied, he’d invited Clifton, Kingsdale, Treadway, and Llewellyn to join him. He was pleased to see the four of them arrive on time, and quite well turned out.

Granger beckoned to Lieutenant Waltham and took him over to meet his officers, and told them of his plans to bring the troops home. The five officers chatted with each other, with Granger’s staff sharing recent gossip with Waltham, while Granger was preoccupied watching the other people at the reception. He saw Kemal Bey and strode over to pay his respects, his approach coinciding with that of Jardines.

“I must thank Your Excellency for such a lovely reception,” Granger said with a bow.

“It is rare that we have an opportunity to entertain a visitor of such distinction as Your Lordship,” Kemal replied in his high-pitched voice.

Jardines said something to Kemal in that language that the Arabs used, one that sounded like so much gibberish to Granger. Granger stood there uncomfortably as Jardines and Kemal had a discussion, one that did not seem overly pleasant. Granger could not miss that same expression he’d previously seen on Kemal’s face: jealousy. Finally, Jardines turned his attention to Granger and spoke in French to include him. “I must apologize, my lord, for excluding you from our conversation.”

“That is quite alright,” Granger said affably.

“Major Jardines has told me how much you enjoy Turkish baths,” Kemal said to Granger.

“I do indeed, Your Excellency,” Granger said with a smile. “One of my greatest joys was having such a bath after my long trek through the Wadi Hammamat in Egypt.”

“I shouldn’t wonder,” Kemal said with a smile.

“As I was disguised as a woman, and had my skin dyed with a red wine concoction, one that was sticky and attracted flies, a bath was even more of a relief,” Granger said in a jocular way.

“I find it hard to visualize you as a woman,” Kemal said, almost flirting. Jardines smirked.

“It is relatively easy when one is covered in a flowing gown and a hijab,” Granger said, making Kemal chuckle. “I had to stoop a bit to look shorter, and I had to avoid eye contact.”

“Your blue eyes are a rarity in the Arab world, even though they are quite beautiful,” Kemal said.

“Your Excellency is too kind,” Granger said.

“His Excellency has been pleased to invite you to enjoy his own baths after this reception, and has asked me to show them to you, my lord,” Jardines said. And then Granger understood the issue that had caused Kemal’s jealousy, a look that reappeared when Jardines had issued the invitation.

“While that is a most hospitable invitation, Your Excellency,” Granger said to Kemal, “I must decline unless you are willing to show them to me as well.” Kemal looked a bit surprised, and a bit alarmed.

“My lord?” Jardines asked, even more surprised.

“As a point of protocol, it would be appropriate for His Excellency to show me these baths personally,” Granger insisted, even though there was no such protocol that he knew of.

“If that is how Your Lordship wishes to enjoy the baths, I will accommodate you,” Kemal said, smiling now.

“Then I will be pleased to join you two gentlemen,” Granger said. He bowed and left them alone, and went over to talk to the Elgins.

“What a relief to be ashore,” Lady Elgin said in her bitchy way.

“After a short voyage, we will be able to deposit Your Ladyship in Constantinople,” Granger said. “I suspect the relief you feel when you leave the ship will be miniscule compared to the relief felt by the rest of us.”

She almost snarled at Granger, and was preparing a lively response, when Elgin intervened. “My dear, perhaps you would like to retire to our quarters and compose yourself? I will join you.”

Lady Elgin got a terrified look on her face. “I am sure I will be fine, but thank you,” she said.

Dinner was announced, and they had quite a feast. Granger put himself fully into social mood, attempting to charm everyone except Lady Elgin, who was fortunately at the opposite end of the table from him. But despite drinking a fair amount, and talking a fair amount, Granger spent most of his time watching the others.

Naturally, the most burning question in Granger’s mind was what Lady Elgin would do with the cypher. He knew it was almost impossible that he would be able to identify who Lady Elgin’s contact was, because as much as he loathed that woman; he was willing to give her credit for being somewhat intelligent. Surely she would be surreptitious in meeting her contact. Yet duty demanded that he do his best to identify who this contact was, so he spent a lot of time observing her. She was much more subdued than she had been before, and she had been careful, just as Granger feared, to spread her attentions quite equally amongst the people there. Evaluating the crowd, Granger deduced that her contact would almost certainly be one of three people: Kemal Bey, Waltham, or Jardines.

Kemal Bey was posted here, so the Guild would certainly be able to direct the cypher to him. Granger knew almost nothing about him, about his background, his views, and his contacts, so he was a complete enigma. Granger simply didn’t have enough information to ascertain whether he would be involved with the Guild and whatever scheme they’d dreamed up, but he assumed that simply the lure of gold would be enough of an incentive for a low-ranking governor in the hierarchy of the decaying Ottoman Empire.

Another candidate was Lieutenant Waltham. He was from Lincolnshire, and was the son of a substantial landowner; he would be correctly identified as a member of the gentry. Granger decided his background was not dissimilar to Calvert’s, and that reminder of Calvert was yet another irritant in Granger’s mind. Waltham seemed focused on his military career, and his family did not seem to have links to the world of commerce, so while he was definitely a possibility, Granger did not see signs of the duplicity that would be required for Waltham to be Lady Elgin’s contact.

That left Jardines as a possible candidate. Granger had an innate loyalty to his friends, and had a particular affinity for Jardines after all they had been through, so it had taken him some time to root through his feelings and really consider the possibility that Jardines was involved in this scheme. Granger reminded himself that society had largely cast Jardines aside, and that had left him embittered. Until Granger had arrived and told him of his reprieve, as far as Jardines knew, he had been condemned to lead a life of exile. It was entirely possible that the Guild had offered him an opportunity to escape from that hell, a problem that was solved with enough money and a decent place to call home. Jardines would probably have had little incentive to worry about those in power who opposed the Guild, since he would see those men as his oppressors. He would be a prime candidate.

Granger watched the dynamic between Kemal and Jardines, and while to an outside observer it would appear to be formal and benign, Granger deduced that their feelings for each other were quite deep. He thought it very unlikely that Jardines would trade this life, where he was seemingly quite content and in love, for the uncertainty that awaited him back in England.

“Granger,” Elgin said, to attract his attention. “Despite the warm hospitality we have experienced here, I am most anxious to arrive in Constantinople. Would it trouble you too much to leave tomorrow?”

That should have surprised Granger more than it did, but he assumed that Lady Elgin was confident of fulfilling her mission, and as a result, was willing to leave as soon as possible. “That is no trouble at all,” Granger replied.

“My lord, I am wondering if my troops and I could accompany you?” Waltham asked Granger.

“That would allow me to better integrate Lieutenant Waltham’s force with my men for the voyage home, my lord,” Treadway added. Clearly he and Waltham had worked this out together. “And if the weather is foul, we will not have to delay on our return to stop here.”

“We would be happy to welcome you and your men aboard,” Granger said to Waltham. “Major, I will trust you to make arrangements for the transfer of your reinforcements.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Treadway said.

After the dinner, Granger corralled his officers. “I will be ashore for some time still, possibly until tomorrow.” Clifton nodded, since as the senior, Granger’s instructions would be directed to him. “Please advise Mr. Weston that we will be departing tomorrow, and to ensure that the ship is ready.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Clifton said. They left, but Treadway lingered.

“My lord, thank you for letting Waltham and his men come on board earlier than you planned,” he said.

“It is probably a superior plan, in any event,” Granger said. “The only person who will be inconvenienced is Major Jardines.”

“Begging your pardon, my lord, but I think it is unlikely that he will leave,” Treadway said, then seemed nervous.

“Major, I am in a situation where I must do my best to determine what motivates these men. If you have something to say, I would implore you to say it,” Granger said severely.

“Of course, my lord,” Treadway said hastily. “Waltham told me that Jardines has had almost no involvement with him or his men. To all appearances, it is as if he is the Governor’s adjutant, and not the commander of these British troops.” There was much to digest in what Treadway was telling him. In essence, Jardines had divorced himself from the troops, which was symbolic, showing that his loyalties were most likely with Kemal Bey and possibly with the Sultan.

“There is more?”

“There is gossip that their relationship may be intimate, my lord,” Treadway whispered. So Kemal and Jardines had not been as discreet as he had thought. Recognizing that he’d gotten all the tangible information out of Treadway he was likely to get, he smiled and used his humor to end their discussion.

“Then, as handsome and charming as you are Major, it is perhaps a good idea for us to spirit you away as quickly as possible, to save you from his potential clutches,” Granger teased.

“Or preserve me for your own,” Treadway said, with a leer.

Granger chuckled. “That theory has some merit.” He nodded to dismiss Treadway, then joined Jardines and Kemal.

“My lord, I was thinking that perhaps it would be easier for you to prepare for the baths in my quarters,” Jardines suggested. Kemal seemed fine with that, so Granger acquiesced. They walked back to his room in silence, and did not start speaking until he had closed the door behind him. “I had hoped that we would have some time alone, but I must thank you for doing this.”

Granger smiled at him. “As I told you, I relish our friendship, and I have no desire that my visit here should leave your relationship with Kemal damaged.”

“And in the end, I suspect you will enjoy yourself,” Jardines said, with his playful leer.

“I suspect,” Granger agreed. They disrobed, with Granger noting the damage done to Jardines’ body by his wounds at the Siege of Acre. His leg was crooked, and the fact that he walked as well as he did was a remarkable achievement. The stump where his arm had been looked to be healthy, as if he had recovered fully from the trauma of amputation, but there were other wounds and scars, also healed, which told of how badly he’d been wounded.

“I fear I have become a wreck of a man,” Jardines said sadly, even as he stood in front of Granger, naked.

“I would submit that you could not be more wrong,” Granger said lovingly. He traced his fingers across some of Jardines scars. “You bear the honorable marks of a warrior.” He let his hand drop to Jardines groin, and grabbed his huge, hardening cock. “And you still have quite a monument.”

Jardines laughed, and then they both put bathrobes on and strolled through the fortress to the baths. The facilities were quite nice. Kemal met them there, seeming shy, especially when he took off his robe and exposed his hairless body. He attempted to hide Granger’s clear view of his groin, but that was impossible, and Granger noted ruefully that his testicles were indeed removed. Servants brought them wine, and then left them.

There was an uncomfortable pause after that, as the sexual tension was compounded by the overall strange situation. Jardines normally would have been the person to take charge, but he seemed to be at a loss as to how to proceed. Granger collected his words, and took the plunge. “One of my dearest friends is a eunuch.”

“Indeed?” Kemal asked curiously, since he noted no animosity in Granger’s voice.

Granger moved closer to him. “Indeed, and I found our time together to be most satisfying.”

“I am sure he found your time together satisfying as well,” Kemal said, the lust evident in his voice.

“He seemed to be most receptive to my attention,” Granger said in his husky voice. “I am wondering if you would be as receptive.”

“I think you will find that I am,” Kemal said. And with that, the lust was unmasked, and the three of them began a frenzy of sexual activity. First Granger fucked Kemal while Jardines caressed and kissed him, and then when Granger had finished, he switched places with Jardines. Fortunately, when Jardines had finished, Granger had by then recovered, and he fucked Kemal again, and finally, Jardines fucked Kemal a second time, and brought the eunuch to orgasm, such as it was. For Granger, it was more of a duty than a joy, but he put himself into it with full fervor, more as a sign of his devotion to Jardines than anything.

“That was truly wonderful,” Granger exaggerated, as the three of them floated in the baths, recovering from their exertions.

“It truly was,” Kemal said with a grin. “You are always welcome here in Tenedos.” They put on their robes, and Granger followed Jardines back to his quarters.

“Thank you for that, George,” Jardines said sincerely.

“It was worth it to be with you again,” Granger said.

“I was thinking about that,” Jardines said. “Perhaps you would be willing to stay here with me tonight? Then I will be able to remind you of the joys of our trek through Egypt.”

“Such joys that I had revolved entirely around you,” Granger said with a smile. Then they moved closer, their lips met, tentatively at first, then more earnestly as their passion built up. Granger had not been with a man as big as Jardines for some time, so it took a little effort to actually work that massive dick up his ass, but he did it, and after the initial pain, the ride Jardines took him on was worth that small amount of discomfort. After they were both sated, they lay in the bed, side by side, trying to catch their breath.

“There is no one who is as good at that as you are, George,” Jardines said.

“I was thinking the same thing about you,” Granger said with a smile. “I have missed you.”

“You haven’t found another cock as big as mine?”

“I was referring to you, the person, not your massive organ,” Granger said. “But to answer your question, I have not.”

“I have missed you too,” Jardines said. “I have appreciated all the letters you have sent. They have given me the will to live, the will to overcome this injury.”

“I am glad I could be of assistance,” Granger teased. And then they drifted off to sleep, together.

 


 

Granger had awakened and pulled himself together as best he could, even though he missed Winkler’s assistance. He gazed in the mirror, trying to make sure his uniform was in proper order. Jardines came up behind him, and Granger smiled at him in the mirror. “I am not sure if I will be able to stop here on my return.”

“It would be wonderful to see you again, George, but do not do so on my account. I am going to stay here, at least for the time being.”

“Perhaps if Kemal is promoted to a different location, not as nice as this one, you will change your mind,” Granger joked.

“I think that is unlikely,” Jardines said. “Kemal was involved in a palace intrigue. He has been banished here. He will end his days as governor of this island, and I will most likely do the same.”

“Then knowing you are both here is an added incentive to calling in Tenedos whenever duty permits,” Granger said. He gave Jardines a final kiss, and then strode out of his room and down the corridor toward the jetty. He was just about to leave the fortress when he realized he did not have his watch with him.

He turned around and retraced his steps, hurrying so as not to delay their departure. In his haste, he committed a major breach of etiquette by barging into Jardines’ quarters unannounced. The realization of that hit him as he opened the door, but it was overshadowed by the scene in front of him. Lady Elgin was standing quite close to Jardines, conversing with him. She looked alarmed, but that was soon shielded by her evil visage. “Your Lordship is remarkably bereft of manners, barging into someone’s chambers without being summoned.”

“And Your Ladyship has violated all the precepts of decency by being with another man, alone, in his quarters,” Granger said acidly. “I fear your husband will be most vexed with you.”

“You will not tell him of this,” she threatened.

“I can assure you that I most likely will,” Granger said. “I will allow you to leave us, and go appear to be a dutiful wife, while Major Jardines pleads your case.”

Jardines had been quiet, and appeared even more alarmed than Lady Elgin, but he finally spoke, merely uttering the words “my lady”, to in effect dismiss her.

She paused and glared at Granger. “You have no idea who you are dealing with, and the powers whom you have vexed.”

“I am quite aware of those arrayed against me,” Granger said calmly, “but I have done nothing untoward to vex them.” She glared at him and flounced out of Jardines’ chambers. Jardines closed the door behind her, and locked it. “Perhaps you will explain to me the true purpose of your mission here,” Granger said to Jardines acidly.

“It is not advisable for you to get involved in this, George,” Jardines said somberly.

“And what am I not to get involved in?” Granger asked. Jardines said nothing, which infuriated Granger. “After all that we have been through, all that we have meant to each other, you would betray me?”

“I am not betraying you,” Jardines snapped. “If taking care of myself, and ensuring that I am able to survive in this world after being cast aside is betrayal, then you may think that.”

“I have cast you aside?” Granger challenged.

“You have not, but those you represent have,” he said.

“I have lobbied for you, and exerted myself for you and your reputation, ever since I returned from France. I even spoke to the King of you, and emphasized how instrumental you were in my transit of Egypt, and how nobly you fought the French. And I begged His Royal Highness the Duke of Clarence for a pardon and reprieve, and achieved as much, nay, more than I dreamed possible. So when you betray them, you betray me!”

“It is not as simple as that,” Jardines said. Granger knew that he carried deep-seated guilt over his life and his conduct, and he could see that guilt beginning to envelop the man.

“I will spell out the situation for you, and then you must make a decision,” Granger said factually, removing all emotion from his voice.

“Go on,” Jardines said.

“You have in front of you two choices. You can deny that you are involved with the Guild, and you can send me on my way with no explanation. If you do that, you will end our friendship, and you will destroy any chance of returning to any of His Majesty’s dominions. Or, you can explain to me what nefarious scheme you have become embroiled in, and trust me to help you find an honorable way out of it.”

“What you consider nefarious, others consider to be honorable,” Jardines argued.

“Yet as those people have no honor, their assertions are largely irrelevant,” Granger snapped. He strolled over and sat in one of two chairs, with a side table between them, while Jardines occupied the other one. Granger changed the tone to one that was lighter, to give Jardines a chance to calm his emotions. “Surely, having met Lady Elgin, you must see the merit of my argument.”

“And with that, you make a good point,” Jardines said. He held up the one hand he had left. “Please give me a moment to collect my words.”

“Certainly,” Granger said, and took that opportunity to pour them both a glass of wine.

“There is news that I have that you are probably not aware of,” Jardines said. Granger said nothing. “There was a huge battle in India, at Seringapatam. General Baird and your friend, Colonel Wellesley, soundly defeated Tipu Sultan. Tipu was killed in the battle. That will have the effect of securing John Company’s hold over Mysore.” He paused, giving Granger a rather foul look. “Colonel Wellesley was unharmed.”

“That is good to hear,” Granger said noncommittally. He was aware that this event was significant, but he was not as fully up on Indian politics as Jardines.

“This is likely to give John Company the impetus to expand its hold until it possesses all of India.”

“I cannot see the benefit of that, nor the desire for it,” Granger said. “There is already much talk in the Company and in Parliament of Lord Mornington’s overreach, and of the huge expenses of his campaigns.”

“Yet Lord Mornington is in India, and in charge, while the naysayers are months away by letter, in London,” Jardines said factually. “It is unlikely that they will renounce his successes, but they will wait, with sabers drawn, to feast on his defeats.”

“I am sure that Mornington is very aware of the challenges he faces,” Granger said, with perhaps a bit more appreciation for the stresses on this man with whom he had such a frosty relationship.

“I am sure,” Jardines said. “There are many in England, and in the world, who are alarmed at the total subjugation of India by John Company, and by their power in China.”

“You are referring to the Guild,” Granger said.

“They are champions of free global trade, trade without state monopolies like the Honorable East India Company, or the Dutch East India Company,” Jardines asserted.

“That is their mantra, the line they feed people to justify their greed,” Granger snapped, losing his stoicism in the face of Guild propaganda. “I have dealt with these people and their schemes, and almost died indirectly at their hands. They do not want free trade. They merely want to supplant state monopolies with their own.”

“You are being told things by those hostile to the Guild,” Jardines objected.

“Do not take me for a fool,” Granger almost shouted. “I have seen their plans, and have witnessed their actions. I have spoken to members of the Royal Family about them, and as a result, I am confident I have a true picture of who they are.”

“The Royal Family are friends of the Guild,” Jardines asserted.

“Indeed? And if that is so, why was I given extraordinary powers to replace His Majesty’s diplomats on my last voyage, and why was I given directions to attempt to root out those in the Guild? And why would His Majesty contemplate actions against an organization like John Company that he himself has sanctioned? He has not sanctioned the Guild. Their members are not present at Court, or at least not often. How do you explain that?”

“You are saying they do not have the tacit approval of the Prince of Wales?” Jardines challenged.

“I am asserting that they do not,” Granger said. “It is no secret that they are hostile to me.”

“That is relatively well known,” Jardines agreed.

“Yet despite that, you are still affiliated with them,” Granger accused, exposing a core reason for his anger at Jardines. Loyalty was something very dear to Granger, and for someone like Jardines, for whom Granger had lobbied and advocated, to work for an entity that was opposed to Granger, was the height of disloyalty. Jardines said nothing, but he certainly got Granger’s point. “I was appointed Governor of Windsor.”

“I must congratulate you on that, along with your other honors,” Jardines said.

Granger brushed that aside. “My appointment was made at the behest of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.”

“Not the King?” Jardines asked, stunned.

“No,” Granger said. Jardines seemed flummoxed, as he digested these arguments. Granger sat there, fuming at Jardines’ naiveté on one hand, and disloyalty on the other. “So your two choices are before you, and time is of the essence.”

“George, my plan was, and is, to retire here in Tenedos. I am happy here, but I lack one thing to complete my security.” Granger just stared at him. “Money.”

“What of your estates in England?”

“They are substantial, and they are mortgaged. The proceeds from them provide me with a small income, while the rest satisfies my creditors,” he said. “My time in the opium dens was not helpful to my finances.”

“I shouldn’t wonder,” Granger agreed gently, to encourage him.

“As someone who was banished by society, I am a likely target for the Guild, and they have approached me in the past, but I had refused,” he said. He paused to take a drink of wine. “This time, I was given a relatively easy task, and in exchange, I was to be given 5000 pounds. That is more than enough to keep me in comfort here in Tenedos, or anywhere, for that matter.”

“It is a substantial amount of money,” Granger agreed. “And what is your mission?”

“I was given an encoded letter, and I was to wait until I received a cypher to decode that letter. That encoded letter constitutes my instructions.”

“But you do not know what they are?”

“I do not,” Jardines said. “I had assumed that Lady Elgin was my courier, but the cypher she gave me could not unscramble the message. You walked in on the beginnings of a very unpleasant discussion about that.”

“Perhaps you are just reading it wrong,” Granger said.

“That was her assertion, even as she questioned my intelligence,” he grumbled.

“I have been saddled by that woman this entire voyage,” Granger said. “Surely knowing that someone like her is linked to the Guild is proof of their perfidy.”

Jardines chuckled. “That is a persuasive argument.”

“So what will you do?”

“I am unsure,” he said. “I cannot proceed with my instructions, because I do not understand them. I do not know whom to contact for clarification.”

“I have a counterproposal for you,” Granger said. Jardines looked at him curiously. “I will buy this letter they gave you, these instructions, for 5000 pounds. You will be no worse off financially than you would have if you had completed your mission, yet you will still be able to retain your honor.”

“And if I decide to return to England?”

“That door will remain open to you,” Granger promised.

Jardines nodded, then got up and walked over to a safe. He pulled out a letter written on the same stationary as Lady Elgin’s cypher, and handed it to Granger. “I have wronged you, yet again, George, by an act that was disloyal. I allowed myself to believe lies I should have seen through. I am sorry.”

Granger took the letter and put it in his breast pocket. “You were vulnerable, and they took advantage of you, but you are smart, and you learn from your mistakes. It will not happen again.” Jardines was a flawed being, one whose internal guilt and doubts made him subject to such schemes. In a sense, Granger was almost like his father-confessor, and once again, Granger had given him absolution.

Jardines smiled. “Thank you.”

“I will transfer the 5000 pounds to you when I return to London,” Granger said.

“I do not deserve it,” Jardines said.

“Probably not,” Granger joked, “but I will transfer it nonetheless.”

“Here,” Jardines said, and scrawled out the name of a solicitor in England, along with his address. “He manages my affairs. Use the money to pay down my debts, and in that way, my income will rise. That is a better use of the money.”

“It will be done,” Granger promised. He and Jardines stood up, and then Granger strolled out of his quarters, out of the fortress, and to his gig.

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 69
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So nice to have my guess confirmed. :D I'm glad George were able to persuade Jardines to part with the letter. Hope he remembered his watch, lol.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I had also believed it would be Jardines. What is in the message that is soon to be decoded?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Not surprising but so disappointing to have Jardines involved. Lady Elgin is a fool if she hasn't realized how precarious her new life is now. Fine chapter, as usual it leaves me wanting so much more :*). Thank you!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 12:16 AM, Timothy M. said:

So nice to have my guess confirmed. :D I'm glad George were able to persuade Jardines to part with the letter. Hope he remembered his watch, lol.

Yeah yeah, you're a veritable savant. :-)

 

One of my editors mentioned the watch too, but we see Granger using it in Chapter 33, so we know he snagged it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 12:24 AM, davewri said:

I had also believed it would be Jardines. What is in the message that is soon to be decoded?

Well if I told you that, Chapter 34 wouldn't be very interesting. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 01:42 AM, Miles Long said:

Not surprising but so disappointing to have Jardines involved. Lady Elgin is a fool if she hasn't realized how precarious her new life is now. Fine chapter, as usual it leaves me wanting so much more :*). Thank you!

Thanks Miles. As I wrote this, I could totally see why Jardines would do this. And I was reminded of how often honest people believe the lies fed to them by powerful, selfish interests.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What about George's watch? ;)

 

George will need to claim a prize to pay Jardines. Hehehe! I wonder how long he'll stay on the straight and narrow until he strays again.

 

Looking forward to your promises of what will be revealed in Ch 34! Thanks, Mark!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You've set up your mystery well. Now we get to see what the letters tell us and then experience whatever the Guild has set up for George. You've created a nice little arch-enemy. Perhaps you'll give it a face in a future chapter, the main bad guy so that George has someone specific to gun for, not just an annoying wife of a diplomat.

 

Eagerly awaiting the next bit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Boy, was I wrong, but it does make perfect sense. I liked Jardines, so I'm pleased he has retained his honor, however dubiously. This has become a brilliant bit of intrigue. I can't wait to find out what the letter will reveal. George continues to be George... a man who never throws people away without trying to first save them, often from themselves. Terrific chapter, Mark. Thanks and cheers... Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another moment to show what kind of exceptional person Granger is and continues to be. He does what it takes to make his host happy and then spends some quality time with Jardines; then finds out that Jardines has been ensnared by the ploy of the Guild. What does he do then; but takes time to explain to Jardines how he has chosen the wrong side and give him an opportunity to do the right thing, with a lot of financial encouragement.

 

I had to admit, Jardines seemed likely to be the contact but had hoped it would not be so; but with his circumstances sort of understand how he could be swayed to the Guilds side. Glad to see that he listened to Granger and realized that he was in a better position to know what support the Guild had in the Royal Court than most.

 

Hope the next chapter and the rest of the story are as excellent as the last few have been, great job, Mark.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Poor George. The only thing worse than unsatisfying sex is unsatisfying sex that lasts a really long time. ;)

 

So, we apparently learn that George retrieved his watch. Did he also retrieve the potentially incriminating fake cypher? I also really hope Jardines doesn't suffer any repercussions from the Guild either for failing to carry out his instructions or for selling them to George.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It is truly disappointing that Jardines was going to be involved with the Guild. Granger's suspicions about the role of Lady Elgin have been exposed. She was not successful in delivering the cypher code successfully. I can hardly wait for Granger to expose her presence with Jardines to Lord Elgin. That should make the rest of the voyage intgeresting. Lady Elgin will be confined to her quarters.
I'm sure that you have much more to bring to this story. I'm definitely enjoying HMS valiant, as another story in this series.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 07:35 AM, Rosicky said:

What about George's watch? ;)

 

George will need to claim a prize to pay Jardines. Hehehe! I wonder how long he'll stay on the straight and narrow until he strays again.

 

Looking forward to your promises of what will be revealed in Ch 34! Thanks, Mark!

George gets his watch back, and it's unlikely that Jardines ever remains straight. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 07:58 AM, AlexLucid said:

You've set up your mystery well. Now we get to see what the letters tell us and then experience whatever the Guild has set up for George. You've created a nice little arch-enemy. Perhaps you'll give it a face in a future chapter, the main bad guy so that George has someone specific to gun for, not just an annoying wife of a diplomat.

 

Eagerly awaiting the next bit.

A face instead of an amorphous blob of an organization? That's interesting, but I don't see the Guild as having that kind of leader...I see it as a loose coalition, so I'm not sure that there is a 'leader', per se.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 08:28 AM, Headstall said:

Boy, was I wrong, but it does make perfect sense. I liked Jardines, so I'm pleased he has retained his honor, however dubiously. This has become a brilliant bit of intrigue. I can't wait to find out what the letter will reveal. George continues to be George... a man who never throws people away without trying to first save them, often from themselves. Terrific chapter, Mark. Thanks and cheers... Gary

I loved your line about George as a major advocate of the second chance, especially where his friends are concerned.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 08:54 AM, centexhairysub said:

Another moment to show what kind of exceptional person Granger is and continues to be. He does what it takes to make his host happy and then spends some quality time with Jardines; then finds out that Jardines has been ensnared by the ploy of the Guild. What does he do then; but takes time to explain to Jardines how he has chosen the wrong side and give him an opportunity to do the right thing, with a lot of financial encouragement.

 

I had to admit, Jardines seemed likely to be the contact but had hoped it would not be so; but with his circumstances sort of understand how he could be swayed to the Guilds side. Glad to see that he listened to Granger and realized that he was in a better position to know what support the Guild had in the Royal Court than most.

 

Hope the next chapter and the rest of the story are as excellent as the last few have been, great job, Mark.

Thanks. I think it makes perfect sense why Jardines was involved in this whole thing, but in the end, when he's faced with such a palpable dilemma, he turns to George for advice and trusts him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/09/2015 05:02 PM, impunity said:

Poor George. The only thing worse than unsatisfying sex is unsatisfying sex that lasts a really long time. ;)

 

So, we apparently learn that George retrieved his watch. Did he also retrieve the potentially incriminating fake cypher? I also really hope Jardines doesn't suffer any repercussions from the Guild either for failing to carry out his instructions or for selling them to George.

I think repercussions from the Guild against Jardines are a very real possibility, and I'm not sure that there is much George can do to help him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 07/10/2015 05:47 AM, WildcatLes said:

It is truly disappointing that Jardines was going to be involved with the Guild. Granger's suspicions about the role of Lady Elgin have been exposed. She was not successful in delivering the cypher code successfully. I can hardly wait for Granger to expose her presence with Jardines to Lord Elgin. That should make the rest of the voyage intgeresting. Lady Elgin will be confined to her quarters.

I'm sure that you have much more to bring to this story. I'm definitely enjoying HMS valiant, as another story in this series.

I'm not disappointed in Jardines...he's always been a bit of an opportunist, and I'm sure he was easy prey to the Guild's propaganda.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

George stumbled upon them exchanging the code. He can now decipher the message. What repercussions will it have?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..