Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 4,284 Words
  • 1,900 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Peace of Amiens - 12. Chapter 12

September 9, 1801

HMS Endymion

Weymouth, England

 

Granger paced the deck of his ship, fighting against the warning signs his body was sending him. He finally succumbed, lest he ignore those messages until things became dire. “You have the ship, Mr. Austen.” Granger strode below, trying to maintain his decorum, until he reached the gun deck, at which point he hurried back to his cabin and into his privy closet, where his body ejected fluids from damn near every orifice he had. He longed for the serenity and darkness of his sleeping compartment, but with a looming Royal visit, he knew that was impossible. He slowly pulled himself together, rinsed his mouth out with scented water, then walked out into his cabin to find Winkler there, his nose curled up at the noxious smells Granger had generated.

“This message just arrived, my lord,” Winkler said, and handed him an envelope. The Royal stationery was unmistakable, and it turned out to be a message from Salisbury alerting him that the Royal Family would visit them on Friday, to give Amelia a chance to recover from her recent trauma. Granger smiled, ecstatic that his wish had been at least partially granted.

“His Majesty will not join us until the 11th, this Friday,” Granger said. He went up on deck and explained that to Austen, who was just as relieved as Granger was, then escaped back down to his cabin.

“I explained things to the staff, my lord,” Winkler said.

“Thank you,” Granger said. “I am going to rest for one hour, then I will need your help in getting ready. I must go ashore and check on Princess Amelia.”

“I will prompt you in one hour, my lord,” Winkler said. He turned to leave and bumped into someone. “I beg your pardon, ma’am.”

“It is not a problem, Winkler,” Carmella said, and ran her hand across Winkler’s cheek, making him blush three shades of red. Granger had to work hard not to laugh. She turned to Granger even as Winkler closed the door behind her. “I am not intruding, am I?”

“Of course you are not intruding,” Granger said, as he stood to greet her. “I have news for you.”

“Indeed?”

“His Majesty has decided to postpone his voyage until Friday,” Granger said. She smiled up at him and he gave her a kiss, glad that he had used the scented water to hide his horrible breath.

“That is good news,” she said. “I am not sure that I could have sung for him without projectile vomiting.” Granger laughed at that.

“I have opted to rest for an hour,” Granger said. “Would you care to join me?”

“I would love that, although I fear that anything but rest may cause my stomach to become unpleasant,” she said.

“Then that is what we will do,” Granger said. He lay on his cot, on his back, and she climbed in with him, molding her body to his such that she fit perfectly, as if they were designed to be together. “I hoped you enjoyed yourself last night.”

“It was an amazing experience, one that I will not soon forget,” she said, and snuggled into him more, almost purring with contentment. Granger gently stroked her back until they both dozed off.

Winkler came in and smiled down at the sleeping couple, marveling at how attractive they were, and how when they were together, that attraction was magnified. “My lord,” he said gently. “It has been an hour.”

Granger was about to rouse himself, but opted to do something he rarely did: he chose to be lazy. “One more hour,” he said. Winkler smiled, and let his captain enjoy his sleep. When he returned an hour later, Granger’s sense of duty spirited him to get up. He gently nudged Carmella. “We have slept for some two hours, but it has been a dream.”

“Must we get up?” she asked in a sulky way.

“I must,” Granger said. “I must go ashore and call on His Majesty. You may lounge around in bed all day if you choose.”

“Sophia has decided to go ashore,” she stated, even as she rolled over enough to let Granger get up.

“Does that please or sadden you?” Granger asked.

“It makes me nervous,” she said. Granger looked at her in confusion, as that was not the emotion he’d expected her to express. “Our love has been dying for some time now.”

“I am sorry,” Granger said sympathetically.

“I should have seen things clearly before,” she said. She took that opportunity to sit up in bed.

“Before?”

She nodded. “My conversations with Rafael made me realize how badly she had manipulated me, and how that had led to me hurting someone I loved.”

“That is a feeling I can fully understand,” Granger said. “That does not explain why you would be nervous.”

“I have guarded my reputation so carefully, even though if people knew the truth, they would not think it worth guarding at all,” she said bitterly. He sat back down on the bed and put his arm around her.

“What you have done in the past is of no matter to me,” Granger said honestly. If she was his wife, it would be paramount, but as a mistress, it was largely irrelevant.

“I have just met you and I feel so drawn to you,” she said. Her eyes met his and her defenses were down and he could see the uncertainty. “If Sophia leaves, it will become common knowledge that we are together.”

“And you are worried that you have no security, nothing to rely on should I abandon you?” Granger asked. He tried to keep his voice neutral, because that line of thought was insulting to him, but he tried to make allowances for her insecurities.

“It is not that I do not trust you, but you have offered nothing for me to agree to,” she said. And then he understood her all too clearly. She just wanted to know the terms of their deal.

“And what do you think would be adequate for the mistress of the esteemed Earl of Brentwood?” he teased. She giggled and slapped his arm playfully.

“I think that nice lodgings, a nice carriage, servants, and an allowance would be expected of someone in your position,” she said.

“You mean more servants than you have now? And a carriage that is actually sprung?” Granger asked.

“That is what I mean,” she said, giving him a dour look.

“And how much would this allowance have to be to support you in the appropriate style?” he asked.

“You make me feel like a whore,” she grumbled.

“Rather, as someone who is not sophisticated in these matters, I am relying on you to help me decide what is fair,” he said.

“You have not had a mistress before?” she asked, stunned.

“I have not,” he answered. “I was faithful to my wife to the extent that she was the only woman I had sex with, and she overlooked the other men. That was the arrangement, although I violated my pledge on my trek to Russia.”

“Indeed?” she asked curiously.

Granger squirmed, because he was uncomfortable with this conversation and the lack of honor he’d shown to Caroline with his affairs. “As I explained to a good friend, when the Empress of Russia decides to have sex with you, you have little choice.”

She laughed at that. “I would imagine.”

“The King also frowns on extramarital affairs, so that also influenced my decision to not take a mistress,” Granger said.

“He will not object now?” she asked.

“I am estranged from my wife and he does not want me to divorce her,” Granger said. “I think he will understand.”

She nodded. “I think that in addition to all of those accoutrements, I will need £750 per year to maintain appearances.”

“We will make it £1000,” Granger said. “And if we end our relationship and you do not have another benefactor, I will continue to pay you that money for at least a year.”

“Then we have a deal,” she said, smiling at him. They kissed, and that fueled his libido. They had a quick but satisfying coupling, then Granger finally pulled himself together to go ashore.

“I am sorry that was so fast,” he said.

“I am quite satisfied,” she said, winking at him.

“Would you be willing to entertain my officers with your amazing voice at supper tonight ?” Granger asked.

“It would be my pleasure,” she said. Granger gave her one final kiss then, as he went to walk out of his cabin, he stopped and glanced in the mirror to adjust his hair and to wipe the schoolboy grin off his face. He found Winkler waiting for him outside his cabin, smirking. “Signora Bellini has agreed to serenade us at supper. I would like to host the wardroom officers.”

“Of course, my lord,” Winkler said, then made Granger pause long enough so he could adjust Granger’s cravat. Granger went up on deck and invited Austen and the others to supper, then finally found himself in his gig, heading to Weymouth. It was a nice enough day that he opted to walk the short distance to the King’s residence.

A footman led him into the drawing room where he was greeted by a chamberlain. “Welcome, Lord Brentwood,” he said formally.

“Thank you,” Granger said politely. “I have come to inquire after Her Royal Highness Princess Amelia.”

“Her Royal Highness is not receiving visitors, my lord, but I will convey your good wishes to her,” he replied.

“I am also here to call on Captain Calvert,” Granger said. “Please alert him that I am here.”

“Captain Calvert is not receiving visitors either, my lord,” he said, and seemed almost pleased that he was putting obstructions in front of Granger.

“Captain Calvert will receive me,” Granger said, his steely eyes drilling into the chamberlain’s. “Inform him that I am here.”

Granger’s manner had knocked this man back on his heels a bit. “Please wait here, my lord.” He strode off and came back some five minutes later with Salisbury.

“Lord Brentwood, Her Royal Highness has left explicit instructions that neither she nor Captain Calvert are to receive visitors,” Salisbury said, annoyed that his day was being interrupted by this issue. He could be as grumpy as he wanted, but there was no way that Amelia was going to keep him from seeing Calvert.

“Has Her Majesty approved those instructions?” Granger asked, raising an eyebrow. The Queen would be incensed that Amelia was sequestering Calvert away.

“I am not sure if she has or not,” Salisbury said.

“Then I would ask you to inform her of those directives,” Granger said. “After you do that, you can then inform Captain Calvert that I will be awaiting him in the library.” Granger nodded curtly, then went into the same room where he’d had his conference with St. Vincent. Some ten minutes later, Calvert came walking into the room, smiling broadly.

“George! How wonderful to see you!” Calvert said. They held hands, an intimate greeting, but an acceptable one, and all of Granger’s irritation vanished.

“I am glad that you think so,” Granger said. “It was quite difficult to get in touch with you.”

“It was?” Calvert asked, confused.

“Let us go for a walk,” Granger suggested. This dwelling felt oppressive, and Granger felt the need to escape.

“That sounds wonderful,” he said. They exited the King’s residence and began strolling along the waterfront. People did not interrupt them, but they definitely stopped and took notice of these two renowned captains.

“I arrived and was told that you were not receiving visitors,” Granger stated. “That was the direction given by Princess Amelia.”

“I am sorry, George,” Calvert said. “I will have to have a talk with her and explain things.”

Granger laughed. “Good luck with that.” Calvert looked irritated. “I have found that determined women are rarely swayed by a simple conversation.”

“How did you manage to spring me this time?” Calvert asked.

“I asked Salisbury if the Queen was aware of those instructions, all but keeping you locked up as if this were a jail,” Granger said.

Calvert burst out laughing. “That explains it, then. I have spent just enough time here to understand how terrified the princesses are of their mother.”

“I do not want to cause you problems, but I am unwilling to allow her to try to separate us,” Granger said firmly.

“She will not,” Calvert pledged. Granger thought that Calvert was being naïve but opted to change the subject.

“You were incredibly brave yesterday,” Granger said. “I watched you save Amelia’s life.”

“It was nothing,” Calvert said modestly, which made Granger smile, because that was a quality he appreciated.

“It was not nothing,” Granger said firmly.

“I think it was the aftermath of that event that has caused Amelia to become so possessive of me,” Calvert said nervously.

“And what was the aftermath?” Granger asked, trying not to giggle.

“She seduced me,” Calvert grumbled. Granger burst out laughing at his attitude, which got him a frown, which only made him laugh harder.

“You did not enjoy it?” Granger asked.

Calvert partly smiled and partly grimaced. “It was much more pleasant than I thought it would be, but it was still not as satisfying as my more recent encounters.”

Granger smiled at him and nodded. “It seems that last night we both achieved our goals with women.”

“We did?” Calvert asked.

“Signora Bellini came aboard and has since agreed to be my mistress,” Granger said. He tried not to laugh again as he saw Calvert struggling with jealousy, but instead just let him ponder things. “I enjoyed it very much, but like you, I did not find it as stimulating as I have experienced lately.”

“Amelia is really quite sweet, but I will not be jailed,” Calvert asserted.

“Then I have an idea, a way for you to assert your independence,” Granger said.

Calvert looked at him curiously. “Alright George, what is this scheme you have dreamed up?”

“I am entertaining my officers to supper tonight, and Carmella has agreed to sing for them,” Granger said. “I will send my gig to pick you up at six o’clock.”

“Perhaps it would be better if you got me at five,” Calvert said, and winked at Granger.

“Then that is how it will be arranged,” Granger said. “If Amelia voices objections, tell her that you are worried I will send a note to Her Majesty.”

“I will do that,” Calvert said, laughing. They walked back to the King’s house, then Granger boarded his gig for the trip back to Endymion.

“Welcome back, my lord,” Austen said pleasantly. “We are, all of us, excited for supper.”

“I am as well,” Granger said. “I will be below if you need me.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” he said. Granger descended the ladder and strode confidently back to his cabin, where the marine guarding it snapped to attention. Granger nodded and smiled at him, then went into his domain. He felt as if things were different, but could not quite figure out why until he noticed that there were several bouquets of fragrant flowers.

“Welcome back, my lord,” Winkler said. “Signora Bellini opted to add her own touch to your cabin.”

“I think the flowers are fantastic,” Granger said, and wondered why he hadn’t thought to stock them in his cabin more often.

“Begging your lordship’s pardon, but I agree,” Winkler said. “She spotted a bumboat with them and had me flag it down. I think she bought out the whole thing.”

Granger laughed, then when he was done, he got serious. “Do you like her?”

“My lord, what matters is whether you like her,” Winkler stated firmly, then faded under Granger’s stare. “I like her main well.”

“I am glad,” he responded. “It seems different here. Calmer.”

“That is because Signora Martello departed with the two footmen, my lord,” Winkler said. “My understanding is that they had quite a battle over who would take the maid, but she opted to remain here.”

“And how did you find out about that?” Granger asked.

“I have become friends with that woman, my lord,” Winkler said.

“You impress me with the way you can make friends wherever we go,” Granger said, and patted Winkler’s shoulder in an affectionate way.

“I thought I heard your voice,” Carmella said, as she breezed into the cabin. “How wonderful that you are back.”

“I am glad that you think so,” Granger said. “I called on Princess Amelia and Captain Calvert, and was told that neither of them were receiving visitors.”

“Captain Calvert would not receive you?” Winkler asked, and he was so surprised he forgot to address Granger as ‘my lord’.

“And who is this Captain Calvert?” Carmella asked.

“If I was told that I had to live on a desert island, and that I could only take one man with me, I would take Francis Calvert,” Granger said to her.

“Then he must be a very special man indeed,” Carmella said, even as she smiled in a knowing way.

“He is,” Granger confirmed. He then explained to both of them how he had sprung Calvert from Princess Amelia’s jail, making both of them laugh.

“My lord, if you will excuse me, I will see to your dinner,” Winkler said. Granger nodded, and he left the cabin quite quickly.

“He adores you,” Carmella said. “So tell me more about this Captain Francis Calvert.”

He led her over to his leather chairs and poured them both a glass of wine. “Before I do, I want to thank you for the flowers you bought for the cabin. It was a lovely gesture.”

“I am glad that you like them,” she said. Then she stared at him, demanding that he talk about Calvert.

“I met Calvert when I took command of my first ship.” Granger opened his heart to her, explaining his relationship with Calvert from their time aboard Intrepid, their voyage in Bacchante, and Calvert’s recent escape and their reunion.

“You love him deeply,” she said.

“I do,” Granger agreed. “Unfortunately, that has caused tongues to wag about our relationship, and especially about Calvert in particular.”

“If he is linked with a Royal Princess and you are with me, that will help keep those rumors at bay,” she accused.

“That is definitely a side benefit,” Granger said. She thought about it and seemed a little sad, then she got a look of resolve.

“You will want to spend some time alone with him,” she concluded.

“I would, especially when he first arrives,” Granger said. “I was hoping that after supper, you might be willing to help us both out.”

“And what would you have me do?” she asked.

“Calvert has very limited experience with women,” Granger said. “I have no right to ask you this, and I do not want to insult you, but I was hoping you could maybe give him some pointers.”

“You are envisioning a scenario similar to last night?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“In a sense, but Calvert will require more coaching than Rafael,” Granger said. “I feel as if I am imposing on you by asking you for a huge favor, and I am concerned that you will think this is something I do all the time.”

She smiled at him lovingly and put her hand on his arm. “I am not upset about your request. You are trying to help a friend. But before I make a commitment, I think it is reasonable for me to at least meet him first.”

“Of course,” Granger stammered nervously.

“My lord, signora, dinner is ready,” Winkler said, saving Granger from the embarrassing corner he’d backed himself into. They sat at his table, just the two of them, and began to eat.

“I heard that Sophia took your two footmen with her when she left,” Granger said with a smile.

“She did indeed, and I even let her have the awful carriage, since you have pledged to buy me a new one,” she said.

“That was very clever of you,” Granger teased. “We will take care of that when we get back to London.”

“When will that be?” she asked curiously.

“I am to be relieved of command of this ship in the first part of October, which coincides nicely with the opening of Parliament, so we will head there as soon as Captain Durham relieves me,” Granger explained.

“I will need to be back in London by the beginning of October,” she said a bit nervously.

“Then I will make that happen,” I said to her. “When you first arrive in London, you can stay at my home.”

“Is that proper?” she asked.

Granger thought about that. “Well, if one is to have a mistress while one is married, the mistress should have her own townhouse with a few servants to take care of her. I am not sure how that works if the husband and wife are estranged.”

“Whom should we ask to be sure?” Carmella asked.

“Let me ponder that,” Granger said. “In the meantime, perhaps you would be willing to join me in my cabin?”

“I would love that,” she said. She followed Granger into his sleeping cabin where they sexually satisfied each other, so much that they were both smiling after it was over. “You are very fun.”

“So are you,” Granger said.

“I think I am going to like this relationship,” she said.

“I know I am,” Granger said. He dressed himself in a cursory way, then got Winkler to help him make sure he was adequately attired. He then paused to write a brief note for the King and sealed it. He went up on deck and spoke to Austen. “I am going ashore. You have the ship.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Austen said. Granger descended into his gig, which rowed to the shore with incredible precision, a nice reflection on him and the ship.

Granger found himself back in the King’s house dealing with the same chamberlain. “I am wondering if His Majesty is available?” Granger asked.

“Do you have an appointment, my lord?” he asked.

“I do not,” Granger said. “But as I am here to retrieve Captain Calvert, I thought this would be an ideal time to either see His Majesty or make an appointment.”

“I will check, my lord,” he said.

“Please give him this note,” Granger said politely. He took Granger’s note and vanished. In it, Granger had asked the King to speak to him about a personal matter.

“My lord,” the chamberlain said when he returned, “His Majesty will be pleased to receive you in his study. If you will follow me.”

Granger followed the man to the familiar study, then entered when the footmen opened the doors. The King was not there yet, so Granger stood, awaiting his arrival. It took no more than five minutes for the King to appear. Granger bowed formally to him, then stood there, waiting for the King to speak. “You asked to see me, what what?” The King asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Granger said. “I have need of your guidance on a personal matter.”

“Tell us your dilemma, Brentwood,” he ordered.

“Your Majesty, as my wife and I are separated, I have opted to take a mistress,” Granger said. He saw the King’s eyes narrow in annoyance. “In this way, I will have feminine company, but I will not be forced to divorce my wife.” He saw that resonate with the King.

“Who is this woman?” he demanded.

“She is Signora Carmella Bellini, Your Majesty. The opera singer.”

“She is both talented and beautiful, what what,” the King said, making Granger smile.

“She has traveled down here to Weymouth to serenade Your Majesty when we next sail, sir,” Granger said, and saw the King’s eyes light up with pleasure.

“That makes me even more excited than ever to go sailing,” he said.

“With Your Majesty’s permission, I will relay those sentiments to Signora Bellini,” Granger said.

“Of course,” the King said. “So what do you need my advice about, what what?”

“Your Majesty, since Caroline and I are separated and not living together, I was of a mind to allow Signora Bellini to stay at my home in London,” Granger said, then swallowed before continuing. “I am not sure if that is proper, or if I should instead ensure that she has her own separate place to live.”

“And what do you think, Lord Brentwood?” The King asked.

“I think that if Signora Bellini lived with me, it would be more formal, and indicative that we were not seeing other people, Your Majesty,” Granger said, then smiled. “It would also be more convenient, and a bit cheaper.”

The King laughed at his last statement. “I think that is reasonable,” he said, giving Granger his blessing. “I will convey my observations to Her Majesty.”

“I must thank Your Majesty for your advice,” Granger said. The King nodded, indicating that the interview was over, so Granger bowed as His Majesty left. His place in the study was taken almost immediately by Calvert.

“I see that your lordship came to get me to ensure I was able to leave,” Calvert said playfully. Granger put his arm around Calvert in a friendly but nonsexual way and guided him out of the house and toward the pier.

“Spending time with you is important enough for my lordship to put up with difficult chamberlains and to hazard an interview with the King,” Granger said.

Calvert laughed. “That is truly a mark of your love for me.”

Copyright © 2023 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 46
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



George is so clever, he flatters the King by asking his advice and at the same time gets his approval for his new mistress.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..