Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 3,724 Words
  • 3,463 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Promise - 4. You’ll Never Want to Leave

 

The next day Finn and his mother met with the banker and resolved all the issues for the household accounts and his private ones as well. The following day he drove back into town to meet with the lawyer.

"Mr. Gotlieb will see you now, Mr. Green. Please follow me." The receptionist who wore sensible heels rather than the usual stilettos, waited for Finn to rise from his chair in the waiting room.

He followed her down the carpeted hall. She stopped and indicated he should enter at the open door on the right. "Please go right in."

"Thank you." Finn smiled as he moved by her.

"You're welcome." She pulled the door closed behind him.

"Good morning. I'm David Gotlieb. I've heard of you, but we've not met I don't believe."

The lawyer was on his feet.

Finn noticed the beautifully cut black wool suit the man wore. He smiled and stepped forward to shake the lawyer's hand. "No, we haven’t met before."

"Please, sit down." Gotlieb returned to his own seat while Finn sat in one of the two vintage tub chairs. "How can I help today? We have been your family's lawyers for a very long time."

"You have and that's why I'm here. There are a lot of things I don't know. Such as rules about marriage, heirs and our home and land that I have inherited." Finn sat forward. "I understand this information is usually passed from father to son; however, my father died before he could do that. I've looked around, and discussed this with my mother, but there is nothing she could tell me. I'm hoping you may have some information."

The lawyer pursed his lips and tugged on the left side of his salt and pepper mustache. “I’d heard from your mother about you not planning to return to Sanctuary. We’d gone so far as to have all the documents prepared for your signature, so we could complete the sale on your behalf. The sale could not proceed without us doing that, of course, but she seemed to think you’d decided to move away.”

“I was ready to until I was reminded of a few things … so I’ve changed my mind. Now I’m trying to get up to speed with all the rules and requirements.”

“That’s understandable and desirable.” Gotlieb sat back and crossed his arms. "I very likely do have some of the information, or we would in our files. What is it you'd like to know?"

"I guess the first thing would be marriage. I'm gay, so while I will likely marry it wouldn't be to a woman."

"I see. Well, the issue isn't who you marry, the issue is you require an heir."

"An heir?" Finn sat forward. "I thought it had to be a male heir"

"Not as far as I'm aware." The solicitor logged on to his computer. "I'll just confirm. Sorry, it will be just a moment as I cross reference the notes we have."

"I suppose that could just be the old male privilege thing …." Finn mused aloud.

"Very likely. Women could not handle riding in a car, let alone manage an estate, or such was the old way women were looked upon. That kind of thinking went on much longer than is generally thought." The lawyer continued typing for another moment. "Ah, here. No, it says that the reasons for keeping Sanctuary will be passed verbally from parent to child. There is nothing stating it must be father to son."

"Okay, that’s interesting. What about the reason for Sanctuary? Why it was built, that sort of thing?"

"Nothing in my online files about a specific purpose. There are old documents somewhere." Gotlieb wrote notes on a paper tablet. "I'll have my assistant head down into the basement and see what we can find. It could be a few days."

"That's fine, thank you."

"Anything else I can help with?"

"No, thank you. Not at the moment." Finn got to his feet.

Gotlieb rose and walked to the door. The two men shook hands, and the lawyer said, "I'll be in touch. Here's my card, and don't hesitate to call."

"I won't, thanks again."

Finn left the office, thanking the receptionist as he passed her desk.

 

Back at Sanctuary, Finn found his mother and Nora cleaning. He hung up his jacket, and side stepped around a bucket and vacuum cleaner.

"Mother, what is going on?"

Cynthia stood at the round oak table that sat in the centre of the entranceway. She was arranging generous pink cabbage roses and white peonies, in a large crystal vase. She put down the flower snips.

"Hello, Finn. We are preparing for Christian's visit tomorrow."

Finn gazed at his mother. "Oh, Mom! There's no need for all of this!"

"Of course, there is. Christian deserves to see the house at its best. I've some wine brought up from the cellar, and we'll do a nice prime rib tomorrow. Christian isn't a vegetarian or vegan is he?"

"No, Mom, he isn't." Finn put his arm around his mother. "Thank you. I appreciate you doing all of this."

"Nonsense. It's just what we do." Cynthia tucked in the last of the flowers.

"Gosh, they are beautiful, Mom."

"Thank you, dear. Now, why don't you leave us to this? Didn't you mention you had to make arrangements about your house, and other things?"

"Yeah, I have a lot to do actually."

“Well, no time like the present. It’s best to get on with things, Finn.”

“Yes, Mom.”

After kissing his mother, Finn went into the study. He called his literary agent, Thomas Grant, to tell him about the move. Thomas said he'd find movers and could get the documents out to him for his signature.

"Great! Thank you. Yeah, other than the few pieces of furniture I'll indicate in my e-mail, it can all be donated. The rest of the stuff can be boxed and shipped here … no, money isn't an issue; just donate it all … you can have the TV … yes I'm serious."

Finn listened for a few minutes. "Tom, I don't want to end our business relationship … unless that's what you want … no, good I'm glad. I hope I can get more work done out here … it wouldn’t be for lack of inspiration! You'll have to come out and visit … great I understand … I have to buy a car and get rid of the rental, buy a computer. Yeah mine has to be shipped here … so if you can get all that going, I'll get on with things here … I really appreciate you doing all of this. There'll be a nice bonus for you … beyond the TV I mean!" Finn had to laugh. "Okay great, you know where I am. I’ve got my laptop so I can get to my email … okay, bye for now."

Finn did some more hunting and tidying in the study. Slowly he made his way through all the papers in it, much of it useless, but lots that should be kept and filed. He had several piles of organized chaos.

"I need a filing cabinet and a scanner. The list is getting longer." Finn pinned the stacks of papers together with some large paper clips and placed them in a desk drawer. He sat back for a moment to breathe and use his Keep app to write down things he had to do and purchase.

Done with organizing for the moment, he went in search of his mother or Nora. He found the housekeeper first. "Hi Nora. Sorry when is dinner? I just thought I'd take a walk."

Nora wrapped the electrical cord around the vacuum. "Oh, Mr. Finn, in about an hour, if that is okay?"

"That's perfect." Finn smiled at the young woman. "The house looks wonderful. Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome, Mr. Finn." Nora bobbed a curtsey.

"Nora, please, there is no need to do that. Honestly, please try and stop."

She smiled. "Yes, Mr. Finn."

 

As he stepped out of the house Finn felt his spirits lift while he filled his lungs with the cool fresh air. He stood for a moment taking in the forests beyond the house and behind those were mountains. It was beautiful here.

"I'd forgotten."

Finn walked up the drive toward the small cairn of stone. He stopped and touched the cool rocks. "This is crazy. I miss Sam."

He retraced his steps into the forest going in as far as he had previously. Carefully climbing over fallen trees and large roots, the farther he walked the stonier it was becoming. He went on another few minutes, and stopped to listen.

"I'm sure that's water."

"It is water."

Surprised, Finn looked up to his right.

Sam sat on a boulder. He smiled. "Are you all right, Finn?"

"Yes, just out for a walk."

"This isn't a walk, this is a hike."

Finn had climbed up and settled beside his friend. "Yes, okay, it's a hike."

He continued speaking with Sam, who sat quietly. "Look, I miss you. I don't know why."

"You cannot be in love with me, Finn."

"It's not like that. I just enjoyed you, talking with you, you know?"

Sam was quiet for a few minutes. They both listened to the breeze, the bird song and the water that ran somewhere close by.

"Finn, I miss you too. We have both lives we need to get on with."

Finn felt his hopes falling. "So, we can't meet anymore?"

"We can, just not so often maybe. But you're having withdrawal, so I understand." Sam grinned.

Finn laughed. "Okay, I'll try and keep away, but it's hard."

"Your life will have its routines. Christian will come; you will have him and a child one day. You will be busy. I will not be so important."

A sound came from behind them, and Sam got to his feet. "I must go. Take care of yourself, Finn."

"You too, Sam." Finn watched as his friend disappeared behind the rocks. He looked at his watch. "Oh, shit. Okay, I better get back."

He climbed down but turned to look behind him for a moment. With a nod, he turned toward the road, and home.

_____

 

Finn stopped at the rental agency to extend his agreement another week, before driving to Kamloops to pick up Christian.

He leaned on the railing inside Kamloops Airport near the Eagle Air check-in desk, when a hand on his lower back made him jump.

"Hey, handsome, looking for a good time?"

Finn smiled but stared ahead. "Well, I am waiting for a guy, but you're cuter."

While he laughed, Christian pulled Finn into his embrace. "I'm sure I can rock your world, babe."

Finn hugged the good-looking steward back. "I bet you can too."

They stepped apart, but their eyes remained locked on each other. "It's really good to see you, Finn. I am looking forward to this weekend off with you. I hope it's okay, but a wrangled a fourth day out of them."

"Yes, sure, that's great. Are you ready?"

Christian indicted his suitcase. "I am, but, well … can we just grab a coffee and talk a bit before we go?"

Finn swallowed. "Sure, is everything okay? You're not dumping me right now, are you?"

"Oh no, no everything is great." Christian picked up his bag and took Finn's hand with his right. "I thought I'd enjoy the weekend and then dump you!"

Finn laughed. "Phew, okay. I'll remember to serve the cheap wine."

Christian laughed and squeezed Finn's hand. "Good idea."

They walked a few steps before Christian continued. "I'm teasing. Honestly, it was a rough flight weather wise and I'd like to sit and talk to my new fella before travelling any farther today."

Finn looked over at the man next to him. Suddenly, he had a feeling that this was how his life would be. This handsome, sweet and funny man would be next to him, hand-in-hand for the rest of their lives.

He stopped Christian in the centre of the concourse, just across from the coffee shop. Stopped him and looked into the blue eyes. Christian gazed back, saying nothing, sensing something. They stood there together as people walked around them, wordless, for a moment.

Finn smiled and said, "I'm so happy you're here."

"I don't want to be anywhere else."

"Come on, let's get some coffee."

The pair found a quiet corner and ordered their drinks. Once the order arrived and they added milk and sugar, the two men started to talk.

"Just so you know, my mother is home for a couple more weeks and there is a housekeeper, Nora," Finn said.

"Oh, your mom will be home? Oh, that's great, I'll be happy to meet her." Christian smiled and sipped his drink. "Housekeeper? Are you rich?"

"Um…I suppose we are, sort of. I mean we have Sanctuary and the land, I suppose it's worth a lot, but it's been in the family forever. It won't be sold."

Christian's eyebrows rose. "Sanctuary? Your house has a name?"

"I grew up there, that's what it's called."

"I think we need to talk, a lot."

Finn felt a bit nauseous. "Are you upset? I mean, does this bother you?"

"No, I'm just surprised, that's all." He reached over and took Finn's hand. "We don't know much about each other yet. It was just a surprise. The last thing you told me was you were living in Toronto coming here to visit … now you're moving out here."

Squeezing Christian's warm hand, Finn said, "I know. I'm surprised that I want to come back here. Shit, I couldn't wait to get away. Now my agent is selling my house and having a moving company pack my stuff. I need to go buy a car too."

Christian smiled. "There's a lot going on. I hope I'm not in the way."

"No! I want to spend some time with you. Everything is under control. My mother and Nora have been cleaning like mad, the place is spotless. Your rooms have been aired out. It's all good."

"Rooms?"

"My mother did some renovating; it was a six-bedroom house, now it's a three-suite house. I'm an only child so no siblings to fight about the changes to the place." Finn put his empty cup on the saucer.

"I was going to ask about sleeping arrangements."

"You have your own rooms. I'm not expecting or presuming, Christian. We've just met and …."

"Thanks, Finn. It means a lot you're willing to go slow, let us get to know each other."

"I am."

Christian grinned. "It won't be too long."

"No?"

"No, can't see it being too long." Pushing his cup away, Christian said, "So, thanks for letting me sit a bit. I'm ready when you are."

"Okay. It's about eighty miles to the house." Finn stood up and picked up Christian's bag.

"I can take that."

"I know." They left the café and Finn held out his left hand, and Christian slipped his right one into it. Finn smiled at him. "I plan to spoil you so much, you fall madly in love with me."

"That's your evil plan, is it?"

"Yes, it is." They began to walk toward the parking lot. "So, last chance. Do you want to run away now, or you taking your chances?"

"You know, I'm feeling brave. I'll take my chances …."

"Bwa-ha-ha-ha! The car is right this way."

 

The ride back to Sanctuary was a bit of a tour with Finn showing and explaining sights to Christian. Finally Finn turned off the road onto the long drive. After a few bone jarring minutes, they stopped in front of the old black gate.

"Finn, I'll get out to open it." Christian unfastened his seat belt and reached to open the car door.

"Okay, thanks. If you just open the left side, that would be good."

Christian pushed the old gate open, noting its reluctance. He then stood back out of the way as Finn drove the car through. Carefully closing the gate, he replaced the latch. He then turned around, ready to return to the Jeep, but took a moment to look at the old forest, tumbling rocks and the majestic mountains beyond. The air he drew into his lungs was sweet and fresh and the quiet made him close his eyes.

"Hey, are you okay?" Finn approached Christian's side.

Christian opened his eyes and stepped toward Finn, who opened his arms. Finn started, when he saw the tears. "Hey … what is it?" He held Christian close.

"I … there is something here. I can just feel it … something …."

As he held Christian, Finn closed his eyes and let himself feel it as well. There was something, and always had been. "Yes," he whispered into Christian's neck. "There is. It's a very special place and it's why I can't let it go."

Stepping away, Finn used his thumbs to wipe Christian's eyes. He smiled. "You belong here, most people never feel it."

Holding hands, they walked back toward the car. Christian spoke first. "Will you tell me?"

"When I can, but there are rules to follow. So when I can, yes I'll tell you everything."

The pair stopped at the back of the car. They faced each other and held hands.

"You ready to go, Christian? This is a special place, but you still have to meet my mother." Finn grinned.

"She can't be that bad."

"Come on, get in." Finn spun Christian around and gave him a gentle push. "You can tell me later what you think."

Finn drove past the house to the small eight-car parking lot, which was around the side of the house, where he parked beside his mother's green Peugeot. It was nestled between the house and the forest.

They walked back up to the front door along the flagstone walkway. Christian noted there was no lawn; just the gravel road and then the forest.

"I feel like this place wasn't built to be an estate."

"No, it wasn't. There is a bit of a lawn at the rear of the house, the and a nice patio, there's a pond back there too." They stopped before the front door. "In the back, beyond the lawns, is an old well. I used to play there as a kid. Maybe you'd like to see it."

Christian smiled. "I'd love to see it. This is a beautiful place, Finn. I don't think I'd want to leave it either."

"I'm glad to hear that, I really am, but you can't get out of your first official duty, which is meeting my mother."

Laughing, Christian followed Finn inside. "You know you'll have to meet my family."

Finn kissed Christian's cheek. "Can't wait!"

 

_____

 

Cynthia heard the front door and the two laughing male voices and went to greet her son. "Finn! You two are back just in time for dinner. Nora has everything ready."

Finn's mother quickly took note of the man he'd brought home. Trim, blonde, and smiling and he was stepping forward with his hand out—perfect.

"I'm Christian Waldner."

They shook hands. "Cynthia Green. It's lovely to meet you. Welcome to Sanctuary."

"Thank you."

Finn watched quietly, hanging up his jacket and then taking Christian's. He put Christian's bag at the foot of the stairs.

His mother took Christian's arm. "May I get you a drink, or a glass of wine?"

"Oh, I could murder a drink, thank you."

"Come into the parlour." Cynthia turned back. "Are you coming, Finn?"

"Yes, Mother. I can't let you steal my boyfriend."

 

Nora had come for them, and the trio went into the dining room. They sat clustered at one end of the large formal table.

The first course was a light vegetable soup. Finn was ready for his second spoonful when his mother spoke.

"You can have the wedding here."

Finn dropped his spoon, splashing soup onto the white linen tablecloth. Christian sputtered. They both looked at her.

"What? I'm not blind, nor am I that hardened to this place." Cynthia dabbed her lips with a white napkin. "I can see it in Christian's eyes. He knows. Not yet what, but he knows."

Finn wiped soup off his hand. "Mother, please. Christian and I are getting to know each other—”

"You can spend your lives doing that. You've both wasted enough time. Get on with it." Cynthia picked up and rang the small bell. "Where is that girl with the main course?"

 

After dinner, his mother excused herself, leaving Christian and Finn alone.

"That was delicious. Thank you, Nora," Christian told the young maid, who smiled.

"Yes, it was. Thanks." Finn waited until Nora had taken the dishes away. "I'm sorry about my mother."

Christian chuckled. "She's great; outspoken, but I like her."

"Do you want another drink?"

"You trying to get me drunk?"

"Not at all. Just relaxed. Well, maybe before that I should show you to your rooms." Finn got up. "Come on."

They walked up the staircase and turned left at the carpeted hall.

"You're down here." Finn carried the bag. Christian followed.

Finn opened the door and allowed Christian to enter first. "Wow, this is really nice."

"Glad you like it. This is like a little sitting room and through there is the bedroom and the en suite. There's a TV, and little stereo there, small fridge there. Knowing my mother there may be some snacks as well."

Finn walked through with Christian in tow to put the bag on the bed.

Christian was impressed. "It's great. Thanks for having me here."

"I'm glad you like it. Mom did a good job with these rooms."

Christian slipped his arms around Finn, who responded in kind. "Soo…?"

"Shhh." Christian pressed his lips to Finn's. It was a sweet kiss. "I've been waiting all day for this."

Finn sighed and held Christian close. He was warm and felt good in his arms. "This feels so good."

"Yeah, it does." Christian placed his hands on Finn's shoulders. "Can we sit?"

"Sure. I'll make us a drink and we'll talk."

 

_____

Thank you to all who have chosen to read and follow this story. Much appreciated!

Thanks to @AC Benus and @mollyhousemouse for their continued expertise and support. My work is all the better because of your willingness to share.
Copyright © 2018 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



So is this a place of sanctuary for the Green family or a sanctuary for Sam’s people?

 

I’m not certain why, but I am reminded of the pre-Captain Cook era Hawaiian custom of the City of Refuge. Apparently if you were a criminal and you managed to get to the City of Refuge before your pursuers, you were allowed to live. It’s on the Big Island, south of Kona, I think (I’m remembering from a single visit to the Big Island in 1967).  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Ok. I was wrong about Sam, and Cynthia.

Great story tim. Fantastic chapter.

Thanks A, i'm glad you're feeling better about Sam and Cynthia!  xo

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

The house is my imagination, but Wells Gray National Park is a very real and beautiful place. It welcomes people and activities, yet remains wild and beautiful. If i remember correctly it has 14 waterfalls. I needed somewhere close to civilization, yet wild. Wells Gray i found while doing my research for this story, and it was perfect.  Thanks so much for reading and for your comments Jeff!

I notice you didn’t say anything here about Sam and his people. You wouldn’t want to reveal a big secret like that! Hordes of scientist and government officials would descend on the real-life Sanctuary attempting to investigate and probe. Very invasive and disruptive! So, when do you and @MichaelS36 plan to have your child/heir?  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Great chapter tim. Sanctuary sounds so tranquil. I believe Sanctuary will come to hold multiple meanings. Looking forward to the magic it holds.

Thanks jp.  We will know soon enough ... thanks for reading.. and your support. xo

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..