Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 5,438 Words
  • 3,899 Views
  • 42 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Searcher - 3. First Steps

Stravor lay prone before Hemothracene’s blood-red statue. Waiting. On his hip the Sword of Harman vibrated.

The Searcher drew in a deep breath. The Sword is unquiet as am I. Oh, stop this. He continued breathing deeply; steadily. Control your thoughts, and so yourself.

Time passed in the silent Hall. Stravor fought to tame his straying thoughts as he waited for his God.

“You are unsettled, Searcher. Why do you come to me thus?”

The voice of hundreds was loud in his head. “I beg your forgiveness, Master.”

“Are you here to be reminded of your duty? You are changed. Do not fall for the boy’s spells. He is a witch, a spy, he and his type must be wiped from the world. It is your duty, Searcher. Do not be beguiled by his lot.”

Stravor fought a rising anger. He gritted his teeth against the vision of Keter’s smile and sky-blue eyes.

“He is beautiful, yet he would plot against you, Searcher. Watch for his treachery, but he must be killed on the altar in the Valley of the Crystal Streams. There and only there.” Hemothracene’s hundreds of voices softened. “You know what We have given the world, Searcher. There is peace; the people eat and are happy. Keter is a witch of the Magoph Coven. He will be a powerful mage if allowed to live. He must be stopped. His soul can only be stopped in the Valley. You must take him there, take his soul and then return it here to me.”

“Yes, Master. Your will is my own.”

“Then go.” Hemothracene’s voice of voices was silent.

Stravor lay still for a moment. He closed his eyes and tried to will away his doubt. Then, ignoring the nagging of his thoughts, he rose to his feet. “Thy will be done, Master.”

Echoes of his words bounced off the walls. The souls held within them scattered like roaches fleeing light, when the sound reverberated through the Hall. The Ones Who Watched stood silently as the Searcher left.

The Hall of the Dead sat in the centre of a small plaza. The building was unremarkable, but the plaza was tiled with black and red glass squares. In front of the entrance to the Hall was a statue, in dark marble, of Hemothracene. This was surrounded by benches for the faithful. Many came to pray and ask for blessings. Others left food and other offerings, hoping their God would look upon them with favour.

Stravor the Younger left the Hall. He no longer noticed as people cleared a path for him. He stopped before stepping onto the walkway. I have my duty. Yet, this—the Searcher bowed his head and sighed deeply—this time I am racked with doubt. Yet, I am charged to complete my Master’s will. His will be done.

Reaching absently, the Searcher sought reassurance from the Sword. It moaned softly as he touched it.

Pulling himself up, his shoulders back, Stravor walked back to the Silverhide Inn. Now to break our fast. Then the journey begins.

~

The Inn was quiet in the mornings. Stravor slipped inside and visited the kitchen, the main hall, before looking in the stable for signs of Keter.

“Damn his hide!” Stravor took the stairs two at a time and opened the door to their room. Still abed!

He strode to the bedside and glanced down at the sleeping boy. Young man … boy. Old enough to be a danger. Master said the lad would become a dangerous mage. The Searcher sighed and reached again for the comfort of the Sword. Yet the boy says he is no witch … I am torn … but the path is clear.

Stravor picked up a small pewter pot in which Keter had water. Smiling, he poured the contents over the sleeping lad’s head. “Get up, you lazy lout! You were supposed to be preparing when I attended the Hall. UP!”

Beneath the water, Keter sputtered. “What?” He peered up and rolled from under the last of the liquid. “Master! I … I am awake … please!” Keter wiped the water from his face and pushed it through his soft blond hair. His brow wrinkled as he gazed upward. “Stravor, I am sorry. I will get everything done.”

The Searcher replaced the cup and leaned close enough to kiss Keter softly. “Tis all right. Come and prepare yourself. Wear your boots, mind. I will go order our food.” Then straightening, Stravor reached out a hand and helped Keter to his feet. “Do as I bid. Meet me in the bar.”

“Yes, master.”

Stravor left the bedroom and went first to the main hall where he found a serving girl. “Food for two.”

The barefoot girl ducked her head and spoke softly. She was shaking when she replied, “There are still servings of hash, or simple eggs and boiled oats.”

“Bring me the oats and hash. Also toasted bread, with something sweet to top it,” Stravor ordered and began to walk away. “We will sit by the fire. Oh, and tea. A pot; make it now so it is strong. Thank you, girl.”

Stravor left the girl and found Galeth in the stable. “Boy! That brown pony. Make him ready. We have a long walk ahead. Add to my bill, a bag of oats.”

“Aye, Sir. May I say, Sir, that Stone Hill do not need fancier foods, they—”

“I know, tis why I purchased the creature.” Stravor smiled. “But sometimes, to all living things, food is a small comfort. So, prepare a bag of oats.”

“Yes, of course, Sir. They will be ready.” Galeth nodded. I wonder where they are going, that a pony will need comfort?

Up in the bedroom, Keter packed their meager things into the baskets. He then sat on the bed and drew on his boots and pulled the laces taut. I hate boots! I much prefer barefoot. He sighed as he did up the second. Stravor has still told me nothing of this journey, or why I am part of it. That man does not have to carry his comforts with him, so why does he now?

Keter’s thoughts were interrupted when the door opened.

“Are you ready, lad? Come, it is time to eat.” Stravor walked into the room and gave the packed baskets a quick inspection. He lifted them. “Not too bad. These will not stress the animal.”

“Shade.” Keter stood and gathered his cloak and hat. “I am ready, master. For our journey to I do not know where.”

Stravor’s gaze snapped to the boy. “Is that anger I hear, boy?”

Walking to the door, Keter felt clumsy in his boots. “No, master. I am uncomfortable in these … these things and clothes. I am yours, but still I am afraid.”

Stravor’s gaze softened and he put a hand on Keter’s slim shoulder. He could feel the lad’s bones. “Do not be afraid, for I will let nothing happen to you.”

The Searcher pushed the boy toward the door. He did not notice Keter shudder. “Now, come and let us eat. There are miles to go, boy.”

Stravor went down the stairs before him, leaving Keter to pull the door closed.

Miles to go before I die …. Keter stopped on the landing with the door pull in his hand. His touch was cold, and the dream I had before Stravor woke me. Why would I dream he would harm me? Not one for ignoring his feelings, the lad spun quickly and stepped back into the room. He rummaged through the small bag of his things he’d packed into the baskets earlier. After finding it, he fastened a small blade in its leather sheath to the inside his trousers.

“Boy!”

“Coming, Sir.” He slammed the bedroom door shut and ran down the stairs.

Breakfast was a quiet affair, the two men busy with the business of eating. Keter’s silence was noticed, as were his downcast eyes.

Stravor sat back chewing the last of his toast, with a thick mug of tea in his right hand. With his left index finger, he dug the seeds from the rough bread from his teeth. He washed all down with the remainder of his tea. “Boy, pour me more.”

The lad obediently picked up the heavy pot and poured. He retook his seat in silence.

“Thank you. Lad? Is there something that is bothering you? Speak of it. Your silence makes for a sad companion.”

Keter lifted his head. “I’m afraid.”

“Afraid of what?”

“This … this journey. Where are we going?”

Stravor swallowed deeply of his drink. “We walk to the Valley of the Crystal Streams.”

“I’ve never heard of that place.” Keter’s blue eyes stared at Stravor as he lied. “Why do we go there? Why take me?”

“Boy, I have orders which take me there.” Stravor’s voice was firm. “Why do I take you? Because you are mine and the walk is many days. Comforts are few, but with you along, my nights will be pleasant.”

“I do not want to go. I won’t.”

Stravor stood. “Insolent serpent! Get out to the pony. Wait with it until I bring out the baskets.”

Afraid, Keter cast about himself and then without thought, ran.

Stravor had him within four steps. “Wish to escape do you? You will behave and you will be coming with me. One way or the other!”

The bigger man lifted the lad easily onto his shoulder and carried him up the stairs to their room. Keter struggled and hit the Searcher, who seemed not to notice.

Stravor dumped Keter onto the unmade bed. The room still smelled of them and sex.

“Do not move, boy!”

Turning to the packed baskets, Stravor found the binding rope he’d purchased. “Now, these knots will keep you still … I will hear no more from you.” From his back pocket he pulled a strip of cloth. He tied it without mercy over the boy’s mouth.

Keter ceased his struggles and lay tied and gagged on the bed; his eyes were ice and fire.

Stravor patted the boy’s cheek and laughed. “Be still. I will go make ready the pony and then we shall leave.” On his hip the Sword hummed softly.

He picked up the baskets and went to the stables and settled them onto the sturdy creature.

He rubbed the animal’s neck. “I am sorry, but you will have a bit more of a burden to carry. He is not so quiet as the baskets. I’ll fetch him and then we will walk.”

~

And, so, the small party left Nabrook, Stravor leading the pony, who easily carried the baskets and the boy. An hour out of the town, the Searcher stopped and lifted the limp boy off the pony and put him on his feet.

“Are you ready to walk boy, and quit being a burden to this gentle creature? He has done you no harm.”

Stravor pulled the gag from the boy’s mouth and held a water-skin to his lips. Keter drank gratefully.

Licking the water from his lips, Keter nodded. “Yes, I am ready to walk.”

“Since you have run, you will remain tied to me.”

Keter glared at his master. “Tied!”

The little horse snorted at the outburst.

“Why will I be tied? I will walk with you, and lead Shade.” Keter’s eyes were wild. “I’ll not run even though you wish me dead!”

Stravor’s eyes were black and betrayed nothing. His voice was velvet. “Dead? Why do you think such a thing, boy?”

Keter squared his shoulders and said, “Is it not true? I felt it.”

“Felt it?”

“Yes, dreamt of it this morning.” Keter shuddered at the memory. “I felt your desire for my death.”

“You be wrong, lad.” Stravor checked the boy’s wrists were still well bound, and tied the rope to his waist. “I do not want your death. Now, we have time to make up before the daylight fades, and I want some miles under our feet before it does.”

Overnight they camped uneventfully. Stravor left the sulking lad to himself. The pony found grasses both rough and sweet; while the Searcher prepared a meager meal, keeping enough aside to eat with their tea in the morning.

Keter’s legs were bound for the night. His hands also after he’d been allowed to eat.

Later, Stravor watched the boy as he stared into the cooling fire. He remains angry. I will leave him there in his own misery. Soon enough it will bore him.

 

In the morning, once the pony had his burden, and the boy was tied again to his waist, Stravor began to walk. The sun was with them and a breeze offered desired coolness. On either side of the hard-packed road were deep and dark forests. An hour into their travels, and the Searcher heard the boy snuffling.

Not stopping, Stravor called out, “What is wrong man-boy?”

Keter rankled at the title and replied, “Nothing.”

“Nothing, eh? Very well. Let us continue on.”

It was several minutes later when Keter said, “Stravor, please.”

“Please, what?”

The sounds of tears reached the Searcher’s ears. “Boy, what is it?”

“Please, can we stop?”

Stravor did stop. He turned around and said, “Damnation! What is the matter?”

“My feet, Sir.”

Stravor peered at the boy’s feet. “They hurt?”

Keter’s eyes filled with tears as he nodded.

Stravor dropped the pony’s rope and picked Keter up. He settled the lad on a fallen log, and untied the rope from his own waist. Then with care and gentleness, he undid the laces and loosened the boots. Keter cried out as Stravor attempted to remove them.

“I am sorry, boy. I try to be gentle, but they must come off.”

“Yes, Sir. Just do it.”

“Aye.” Stravor pulled off the leather boots. “Aw, lad. You should have told me.”

“It hurts …”

“Aye. There is salve for the pony, but it will work on boys’ blisters.” Stravor rose and moved to Shade’s side. He rummaged through the basket for the container and bandages of rolled cloth. He brought the water-skin also.

Kneeling beside the boy, Stravor washed the wounds. “We’ll let them dry a bit, and then we can put the salve and bandages on. While we wait, I’ll move the baskets back a bit so you can sit on the pony.”

Keter glanced up sharply. “I can walk.”

“Aye, boy. But not today. Let the healing start.” Stravor moved the baskets toward Shade’s rump. Once done, he patted the pony’s neck firmly. “Good lad.”

The little horse tossed his head.

Stravor returned to Keter. He rinsed his hands and then gently applied the salve to the drying wounds. Around them then, he applied the bandages, not too tightly.

“There now, let them heal. In a few days you can wear your boots for short periods until your feet are accepting of them.”

Keter shuffled, wincing as his feet moved and pulled at his blisters.

Stravor repacked the basket with the medical supplies. Then he placed a hand on Keter’s shoulder. “From here, you will ride the pony.”

“Shade! His name is Shade!”

Closing his eyes for a moment, Stravor sucked in a breath of air; he bent slightly to pick up the angry boy and placed him onto the back of the pony. “Are you comfortable; warm enough?” He untied the boy’s wrists.

Keter rubbed where the soft rope had still chaffed his skin. “Yes, Stravor.”

“Good.” The Searcher picked up the lead rope and grasped Shade’s halter. “Come on.”

The small horse started to walk.

Keter grasped Shade’s mane for support, and asked, “Why will you not call him by his name?”

Stravor slowed and fell in beside the boy and pony. “Naming brings you close to things. If they are unnamed, it is easier to lose them.”

Keter stared silently at the Searcher. He sought the comfort of the blue stone. Then I be easy, too, to lose.

The trio walked on in silence. The time and distance passed slowly. Shade’s broad hooves sounded pleasant on the earthen road. Birds of blue and of red fluttered in the dust on the ground and in the trees. Their love calls filled the air.

~

They’d camped overnight. In the morning, Stravor awakened the fire with the kindling he’d collected. He sat on a stump and coaxed the embers back to life. The Sword sat propped against its owner’s seat. The Searcher smiled as he watched Keter. He sleeps peacefully.

Satisfied the fire would burn, Stravor got up and took a moment to ponder the path they would travel that day. The lad won’t be happy about climbing over the Purpel Mountains, once again. He swung around to view the pony. Shade picked his way among the rocks and cropped the thick, rough grasses. His strong jaws making the tough vegetation a digestible mass.

After watching a few moments, Stravor pulled the bag of oats from the basket that held it. He dug a handful out and walked over to the pony. “Hey, lad. Here’s something for you.” Stravor poured a small measure into his left hand from the right.

Shade lifted his head, drawn by the sweet scent of the oats. Gently, he took the offered food from the man’s flattened palm. The Searcher repeated the process. “Good, eh? A bit of a treat for you … Shade. We’ve still a long journey before us; first up this damnable path. Then the Stone Men, though we’ve been promised free passage.” The oats finished, Stravor caught the pony’s halter and scratched between the long upright ears and then between the widely spaced eyes. “Good, lad. You eat and I had better get this boy up and ourselves fed.”

Leaving the pony to graze, Stravor went back to the camp and added a little wood to the fire. Then he gently toed Keter.

“Boy … boy!” Stravor tapped the boy harder. “Come, it’s time to make a start.”

“Mmm, yes … Sir.” Keter sat up and lifted a hand to shade his eyes. “I’m up. I slept well.”

The Searcher grinned. “Well, you should sleep well after last night.”

“You worked me hard, master.” Keter licked his lips. “It was …”

“What, boy?” Stravor pulled the boy to his feet.

Keter moved close and placed his hands on the Searcher’s broad, solid chest. “Good, master. You satisfy like no other.” He rose on his tip-toes to kiss the Searcher’s lips.

Stravor reached forward and grasped the boy’s buttock’s and lifted him. He returned the younger man’s kiss. Without releasing the lad, the Searcher broke the kiss. They stayed that way for several moments, their eyes speaking things words could not convey.

Keter wrapped his legs around the bigger man, who held him both close and tight.

“Master …”

Stravor gently kissed the boy’s ear; his breath was warm as he whispered, “Yes, boy?”

“Please … can we just go elsewhere.” Keter clutched Stravor’s shirt. “Please. Can we not just leave here and go south. Please, Stravor.”

“Do you mean ignore Hemothracene’s orders?”

“Yes … yes. Please, why can’t we?”

Stravor gazed at the boy. “What would we do there, lad?”

“Open a stable … a bar. We’ll find something.”

Recalling the voices of his God with a shudder, the Searcher put the boy down. “Get your things together.”

Keter’s heart dropped. “Master, please listen—”

“No!” Stravor said sharply. “I am a Searcher. I have been charged with my duty, by my Master. His will, be done!” The big man strapped on his bracers and then picked up the Sword and fastened the scabbard on.

Turning away silently, Keter bent to fix their food, and pack away their campsite.

Stravor stood alone. He gazed into the distance. Try as he might he could not stop thinking of quiet nights with his lad and days filled with work at their own inn. It would be …. Stop. The Searcher sucked in air. Nothing can come of such foolish dreams.

After their silent meal, the trio walked single file up the steep, well-worn path. It was comprised of a series of switchback turns up the side of the mountain that made ascending and descending somewhat easier.

After two hours of walking, Stravor called a halt. “Boy, sit and take off your boots. I want to see how your feet are. Then you shall ride to rest them.”

The boy sat on a log, untied his boots and pulled them off. Stravor picked up each foot and examined them. He rubbed in a thin layer of salve. Then to remove the remaining ointment from his fingers he rubbed his hands over each arm. The bottle of salve was stowed away before he said, “They heal well. They will toughen up and the boots will be comfortable soon enough. The path is too stony to walk barefoot, so, you shall ride.”

Keter nodded but said nothing. He gazed at his master and then the ground before him. I ride to my death, but I know not why or what I’ve done. Turning slightly, he glanced up the mountainside. I hate this place. The higher we ride, the colder it becomes and the closer to my fate I go.

Stravor had noticed the boy’s silences and sadness. He heard Hemothracene’s words, but wondered, not for the first time, whether what he was doing was right. It was also his father’s words that filled his head sometimes. I am ashamed for not seeing it. Ashamed I led you to him. Stravor, listen to me! He will or has asked you to kill the one who can restore light to the world. You need to find this man. You need to open your heart and mind and see the truth, my son.

“Is he right?” the Searcher whispered as he removed the pony’s burden and adjusted the padding that the baskets rested on. He leaned against the sturdy animal. On his hip the Sword hummed gently.

The long ears of the little horse swiveled back as it listened to what was in the man’s mind. Had it full understanding, the little animal would have said, “A son should hear well of his father.”

Stravor replaced the baskets on the pony, and at the same time he tried to push away his doubt. Yet, he still questioned. My doubt grows. Is Father, right? Do my thoughts become my own as I am farther from my Master? My questions grow as my doubts do. Is the boy’s death deserved? Necessary? Am I doing the right thing?

“Boy, come, I’ll lift you onto the pony.” Stravor patted the animal’s neck. “We must make another few hours. There is a waystation. We can replenish ourselves and our water. Rest properly for this night. For tomorrow we make the summit.”

Keter walked to where his master and Shade stood waiting. The Searcher lifted the boy onto the small horse and patted the boy’s thigh. Keter’s head remained drooped on his chest.

“Lad, you’re tired. The beast and I will soon have you in front of food and then a bed for the night.” Stravor did not like the boy’s lethargy but removed his hand from Keter’s slim leg. Grasping Shade’s halter, he tugged it and said, “Come, pony.”

Keter grabbed the wiry black mane and whispered, “Shade.”

Hours went by as they plodded along the switchback trails, for the Purpel Mountains were high and steep. Attempting to climb them straight up was foolish and very dangerous. The trails were easy but walking them took days and they sapped the spirit and strength. The air thinned too and made climbing for man and beast harder.

They were nearing the waystation when Keter noticed the pony labouring. “Stravor! Stop please.”

The Searcher did so. He too was breathing more heavily. “Are you cold, boy? There are blankets ….”

“No, I’m not cold, but Shade is breathing hard in this thin air.” Keter held out his arms as would a young child. “Help me down. I will walk the rest of the way.”

“Damn my eyes, boy. It is a Stone Hill. They come from these mountains; they are used to it. He will recover soon and be fine after a night in it.” Stravor ignored Keter’s request. “You cannot walk over this ground without your boots.”

Keter jumped from the pony’s back. He glared at Stravor and pulled his boots from the baskets. Dropping to the trail, he sat, pulled them on, and tied them. After rising, he glared once more at his master, pushed by the big man and went to Shade’s head. He stroked the strong beast’s face. Then, grabbing the lead rope, said, “Come on, boy.”

The little horse snorted and walked on.

Stravor stood in silence as the pair continued up the trail without him. He noted the sun was on its way down. He grinned, took several deep breaths and then followed on behind the boy and the small, willing beast.

Finally, they climbed the slow incline of the final switchback of that day’s walk. Ahead they could see smoke rising from the waystation’s small inn. Shade whinnied softly as he smelled water. The prospect of rest and refreshment gave new life to each of the weary traveller’s legs.

As they drew near the first building, Stravor called out, “Hello in the stable!”

From the building a girl, Sei, came. “Aye? Do ye want me to take your beast?”

Keter walked the pony forward. The little animal’s head drooped. “Yes, please. Water, food and a good grooming.”

“That’s two pieces.”

Stravor had removed the baskets from Shade’s back. He stepped forward to pay the girl. “Make sure he is well cared for, or you will answer to me, girl. Do you hear?”

She had seen this Searcher before. Well, she knew what could become of her if she disobeyed. “Aye, Sir. The beast will be well cared for. He will have a warm and comfortable night here.”

Nodding only, Stravor walked toward the small inn.

Keter smiled at the girl. “Thank you.”

“Boy!”

He grinned again at her. “I better go.” He waved briefly, ran after his master and then stopped. He called to the girl, “His name is Shade.”

Sei did not smile in return. She watched the boy run away, and then took the pony’s halter and said, “Come on. Let’s get you cleaned up and bedded down ... Shade.”

Stravor and Keter ate a hearty meal accompanied by a jug of ale. There had been little conversation between them. After eating, Keter went to their room while the Searcher went outside to smoke.

Before bed, Stravor made use of the bath house to cleanse himself. With leaden legs he climbed the inn’s stairs and entered their room. He touched the Sword as he whispered, “I am ready for my bed this night.”

Keter, already in bed, had rolled away, with his back to his master.

Stravor took in the scene as he unstrapped the Sword and leaned it against the wall next to his side of the bed. It was a gentle blue; like that of a Baldon’s egg. A colour that meant the Sword and its master felt peace.

After he’d undressed, Stravor settled on the large, comfortable bed. He took notice of his companion. “You do not sleep, boy. What is wrong?”

When no answer was forthcoming, Stravor gave the boy’s rounded buttocks a good whack. “Again, what is wrong, boy?”

From within the pillow came the reply. “Nothing.”

“I see. Very well.” Stravor turned to his left side. He reached for the blankets and tugged them over himself. “Lay there in misery, for I shall not be playing this child’s game.”

Within a short time, the room was silent but for Stravor’s snoring.

Beside him, Keter lay still, silent tears ran from his eyes. He wiped them and whispered, “What is wrong? What is wrong is I love the man who would kill me, and I am afraid.”

~

The dawn brought the crowing of cockerels, the clanging of pots in the kitchen and the bright glory of the sun, which streamed into the inn’s narrow windows.

Stravor opened his eyes. Something was moving in the room. The big man rolled over. His eyes found Keter rummaging through the pony baskets. “What are you looking for?”

Keter jumped at the sound of his master’s voice. “Gods teeth! You frightened me, Stravor.”

Pulling himself upright, Stravor repeated, “What do you search for, boy?”

“Just something warmer to wear.” Keter held up a long-sleeved knitted shirt. “This!”

“If you’re cold, come back to bed. It’s too early.” Stravor patted the mattress. “It’s much warmer in here next to me.”

Keter shook his head. “I’ve slept well. I’ll go and see to Shade.”

“You will! Then have hot water ready for me in an hour. I wish to wash and scrape the hair from my face.” Stravor felt anger bubble inside him. “Also, tell them to prepare my breakfast. You will eat what I leave you. Now, get out.”

“Yes, master.”

“That’s right, your master!” Stravor’s anger flared. “Do as I say or suffer the result. GO!"

Keter nodded. He slipped from the room and ran down the stairs. Hot tears fell from his eyes. He pulled open the inn door and ran across the courtyard to the stable. The brick beneath his feet was cold.

“I wish I’d put on my boots.” The boy opened the stable door and entered. “It’s warm and calm in here.” Keter found their pony. “I upset Stravor.”

Shade stood quietly in his stall. Keter spoke softly to the small horse. “Hey, good morning to you.” The long ears swiveled around. The lad went in and leaned his face against the thick, strong neck. “I’m afraid of him, of what he’s supposed to do. What did I do? I’ve always been a good boy.”

Shade shifted and nickered softly.

Keter ran his hands over the solid, warm body. “You’re so warm, Shade.”

The boy stood for a few minutes with the pony, ignoring that time was ticking on, until he could no longer. Keter moved around and stroked Shade’s broad head. “I must go. I have to ready things for Stravor, lest he becomes angrier.” He patted the pony’s rump firmly and left the stable.

“These stones are no warmer than they were!” He ran lightly over the courtyard and back into the inn. Keter made his way to the main hall and spoke to the serving girl.

She nodded. “I’ll start the food for your master in twenty minutes. And a big pot of strong tea and fresh breads will be waiting.”

“Thank you.” Keter asked the girl another question. “I’m sorry to bother, but do I have to order hot water?”

“No, tis always simmering. You need only enter and pay the lad there, in the wash house.” The pretty maid smiled and pointed. “It’s that way.”

Bowing slightly, Keter grinned. “Thank you.” He then trotted up the staircase to their room and entered. “Oh, you’re up, master.”

Stravor was dressed only in his trousers. “Aye. Is all I wanted done?”

“Yes, Sir.” Keter stood by the door, his eyes on the floor. “Stravor …”

“Let me by. I will wash … as will you. You stink.”

Keter opened the door.

Stravor grabbed him by the neck and pushed him roughly to the landing. “Get on with you, boy.”

Keter stumbled down the stairs before his master.

After washing, the pair sat together in a quiet corner. Stravor served food to Keter from his plate.

“Eat.”

Keter gazed at the shared food; thick oat pudding, hard Baldon eggs, lashings of roasted boar, dark bread baked with cheese and dunion, and a mug of dark tea. The boy nibbled on a piece of meat. He watched as Stravor ate with gusto.

The Searcher noticed he was being observed. He put down the knife and fork. “What?”

Keter shook his head and sipped his tea.

“What?”

“Nothing, I just like to watch you eating.”

Stravor smiled. “You do?”

“Yes.”

The Searcher picked up his tea and swallowed a great mouthful. “Boy, the next leg of our journey will be hard.”

“Why?”

“Because we will ride to the border of the Stone Men’s lands.” Stravor held up his hand when Keter appeared as if he’d like to flee. “I have a plan. You can trust me, boy. I will take care of you, lad. Do not fear.”

<>

I hope you enjoyed chapter three. I love your comments and thoughts. All are welcome and appreciated.

 

Thanks go to my editor, @AC Benus for his encouragement and editing skills. Also to beta readers, @mollyhousemouse and @Brayon. You two are the best. Additional thanks go to @Wayne Gray for listening to me ramble and for his thoughts.

Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 18
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Quote

The long ears of the little horse swiveled back as it listened to what was in the man’s mind. Had it full understanding, the little animal would have said, “A son should hear well of his father.”

And there is much more to Shade than would be expected if he were a pony of our world!
;–)

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I've always felt we do not give animals enough credit .. .there is much more to them, than we like to admit.  Thanks for your thoughts, my friend.

So…

Spoiler

Stravor attempts to follow his orders and plunge the sword into Keter. But Shade sacrifices himself and pushes the boy out of the way. The sword shatters when it tries to absorb Shade’s life-force and breaks Stravor's bond with his god.

Spoiler

Stravor and Keter found a new religion worshiping Shade as a god.

 

Muahahahaha!
;–)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..