Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 5,372 Words
  • 4,921 Views
  • 76 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Searcher - 4. Into The Valley

Sei brought Shade from the stable.

The solid animal stood quietly beside the girl as Stravor placed the blanket and baskets on and fastened both securely.

“Thank you. He looks well rested.”

The stable girl smiled. “Thank you, Sir.”

Keter joined his master and the pony. He carried a brown paper package which he placed in one of the baskets. “Here is the food you asked for, Stravor.”

“Good. You can walk for a short time. You will then change, and take off the boots, as we discussed. Clear?”

“Yes, Sir. It’s clear.”

Stravor touched the Sword, which hummed softly. “Let us be off.” He grasped Shade’s halter and said, “Come on, boy.”

The trio moved off toward the mountain passage. Half an hour later they began walking up the first of numerous switchbacks. The early morning air was cool.

“Keep an even pace,” said Stravor. “When we stop for food, we will make ready the plan we spoke of, boy.”

Keter swallowed and took a deep breath as he nodded. Why does he not just give me to the Stone Men? They would kill me easily enough. Why do we need safe passage? Why must I be taken to this … the Valley to die?

 

The sun rose slowly. Its rays warmed the three as they continued their gentle climb. Once it was at its apex, the travellers stopped to rest and eat. Stravor removed the baskets from the pony, who found a patch of thick grasses to graze.

Keter built a small fire and put water on to boil; he opened the package of food. He measured tea into the kettle and stirred it. Several minutes later, he took the tea off the heat. “Stravor, come to eat.”

~

After their break while Keter tidied away their camp, Stravor made the pony ready; he then turned his attention to the boy.

Keter’s heart pounded and he took deep breaths to calm himself. He pushed away memories that threatened to overwhelm him. Just keep your eyes on Stravor. It will be all right.

Stravor tied the boy’s wrists together, then lifted him onto the pony.

“I don’t know why we have to go to all this trouble.” Keter shifted in an attempt to be more comfortable.

“The Stone Men are not fools. Even with Hemothracene’s promise, things must appear to be as they should be.” The Searcher bent and picked up a handful of dust from the road. He wiped it over Keter’s legs. He retrieved more and dusted the boy’s cheeks and neck. “There, that helps. You have the look of a traveller.”

“We have been travelling. Will more dirt convince them?”

“It’s all we have, boy. You know what these creatures are capable of … this is all we have.”

“Aye, master.”

Stravor did the same to the pony and to himself. He took the lead and spoke to the little horse, “Come on, boy. We have an enemy to meet.”

 

Both Stravor and Keter could hear the Stone Men before seeing them. Shade also heard them, tossed his head and stopped. Keter kicked him and urged him on, while Stravor had come back to pull on the halter.

“Sir, he does not want to go on.”

“No,” Stravor answered. “No, but we must, boy.”

“Can you hear that, master? It is the sound of stone on stone. And the ground shakes!”

“Aye, it is them walking. Hearing them strikes fear.” Stravor said. “They are nearly impossible to stop.” The Sword of Harman moaned softly as the Searcher reached down to touch it.

“I remember. I had a knife when they caught us.” Keter blinked at the memory. “It didn’t make a scratch on them. They are not stone, but they have thick, rough hide.”

“Aye.” Stravor slapped the pony’s rump and the little animal walked on. “Come. No harm will befall you, tiny horse.”

 

The trio met the Stone Men’s scouts on the final switchback near the summit.

“Stop, ye three.” One of the massive men stepped forward, the palm of his hand held outward. “Stop now and speak.”

Stravor halted the pony and then walked up the incline to get nearer to the man. Why we call them men, I know not. They are the size of a full-grown troll or two Gotesian bulls. He stopped before the creature and stared up. “I am Stravor the Younger, a Searcher travelling in the name of the Lord God Hemothracene. You should know of me.”

The Stone Man drew his sword. “We do know of you, Stravor the Younger. Our orders were to watch for you and bid you pass safely.” The creature’s voice was bass and rumbled out of its mouth like quiet thunder.

“Good. Then pass we shall.” Stravor turned and began to walk back to Keter and the pony.

The ground shook as the leader of the two scouts stepped forward. “No, I think not. Hemothracene cannot see everywhere. You two will be tasty and then so will the pony for afters. We’ll enjoy sucking the marrow from its bones.”

Stravor stopped. In front of him he could see Keter’s frightened expression. Behind him came the Stone Men. Their heavy feet causing the ground to quake and cracks to appear in the well-packed track. He watched as the pony shook its head, wheeled away and carried Keter, at a gallop down the mountainside.

“Run, little one.” Stravor whispered. “Keep the boy safe.”

Stravor drew the Sword; it glowed red. “Are you ready my faithful friend? These souls we want not, so let them perish with their masters.”

The Searcher walked with purpose. We have to be quick; these creatures are slow. You can slice through rock, so you can cut through the skin of these traitorous— Stravor ducked and threw himself to the left as the giant swung his massive sword. He took advantage of the surprise and sliced deep into the back of the Stone Man’s right ankle. The cut went to the bone.

 

The creature released its sword and dropped to one knee, roaring in pain. Stravor rolled to his feet. As the Stone Man reached for him, the Searcher sliced the left wrist deeply. The giant howled and as it grasped its wounded arm, Stravor scrambled onto its knee. Then as the Stone Man stared in shock, Stravor leapt and drove the Sword deep into its chest. The beating heart shook the Sword as it stopped. As the creature began to topple the Searcher jumped to one side, pulling the Sword with him.

Greenish blood dripped from the Sword of Harman as Stravor marched toward the other giant.

Afraid, the massive man pivoted, and Stravor cut through both heels, sending the creature face forward. Scrabbling onto its back the Searcher pushed the blade deep into the Stone Man. It groaned mightily as it died.

Stravor sat heavily on the ground and wiped the Sword clean on the giant’s rags. “Thank you. Without you … this outcome would have been different.” His own rough shirt was soaked with sweat. “Now I must find the boy and the pony.” Rising to his feet he replaced the Sword in its scabbard, and then started down the mountainside.

He found the boy and horse several switchbacks below. Keter, who had not been bound tightly, had hidden both himself and Shade in a small copse of trees. The pony snorted and reared as Stravor drew close.

“It’s me. Only me,” he said.

Hearing a voice it knew, the little animal calmed and nickered a greeting.

Stravor reached out and patted the animal. “Boy? It’s safe.”

Keter stepped from his hiding place and ran to his master. He threw his arms around the Searcher. “Are you unhurt, Stravor?”

The man held the boy close. “I am unhurt.”

“And they … they?”

“Both dead.” Stravor sat on a deadfall stump. “Do we have water, boy? I have a thirst.”

“Aye, I’ll fetch it.” Keter ran to the pony and found the water skin. He returned to his man. “Here. I am glad you are all right.”

The Searcher drank deeply, and then handed back the skin. “Thank you.”

There was silence among them as Keter gave water to the pony also. “There you go.” He placed the remaining water in the baskets and went to kneel in front of Stravor.

“Shall we remain here, Sir? What—”

“No, we must move up past them.” Stravor rose and held out his hand, which Keter took.

“But, Sir…”

“No, lad. We must get up there and down again out of their territory before more arrive. We will stay close to the trees. And pay close attention to the pony, for he will tell us of their arrival before we hear.”

Keter nodded. “It will be nice to get out of this thin air also.”

The trio hurried. Stravor driving them quickly. Though it was hard and tiring they took shortcuts up the switchback, making their own paths through the steep sections. The urgency to get past the dead giants gave them extra strength.

Stravor kept them away from the bodies.

“Come on, this way. We are nearly at the top. There is another waystation an hour or two along the road.”

They stopped for a few minutes once the summit was reached. Stravor removed the pony’s burden for their short respite. The little animal rolled in the open grass and then grazed quietly.

Keter found some hard-cooked eggs and nuts within the baskets, which he gave to Stravor.

“Thank you, boy.”

They ate the snack. Then Stravor prepared the pony for the rest of their day’s journey.

Together they walked on more quickly, for the mountain was not as steep on its downward side. They made the valley floor as the sun was starting to set, then Shade snorted and began to move with urgency.

Keter ran to Stravor and whispered fiercely, “Is it them? More of them?”

With his finger to his lips, the Searcher halted his little band. He listened and cast his glance around. “No. See there. Smoke. The animal can smell water. Let us go.”

Keter could see smoke and prayed it was the waystation. He was desperately tired, and could tell also, Stravor was badly in need of rest.

After another twenty minutes of walking, they found the small inn. Its lights glowed and a boy came from the stable to greet them. Stravor pulled the baskets from the horse and shouldered them. To the boy he handed a coin.

“Sir, this is too much … a gold piece, Sir.”

“Please treat our animal well. Then once we leave this place, you will forget us.”

“Yes, Sir. I’ll look after him.” The boy took the rope and patted the little horse. “By morning I won’t recall you at all.”

Stravor smiled. “Thank you.”

Keter had been inside to arrange food and a room. Both were grateful for each that night.

~

“Boy, wake up.” Stravor turned over in the large bed he shared with Keter. A nightmare by the sounds. He reached out, pulled the lad closer and spoke softly, “Boy, come on. Wake up.”

Keter heard and moved closer to the man and the deep voice. He reached around the body next to him and held on.

“It’s just a dream, boy.” Stravor hugged the boy tightly. “Wake up, now.”

“I … Stravor?” Keter mumbled into the Searcher’s chest.

“Aye, lad. Tis all right. You’re safe.”

“We are not safe … you are not.” Keter pulled away enough to take in Stravor’s strangely dark eyes. “You are not safe.”

Stravor grinned. “You dream, lad. I am here and safe this night.”

“This night, but not tomorrow, or after.” Keter grasped Stravor’s heavily muscled forearms. “I had a dream, but it is not a dream. It is a vision.”

“Vision?” Stravor pushed the hair from Keter’s eyes. “Since when do you have visions?”

“Lately … I’ve been feeling things.”

“What kind of things?”

“Like I know it is your duty to kill me.” Keter shuddered but did not move away.

Stravor was silent. He felt sadness and anger. He leaned forward and gently kissed Keter. “It … it is not my desire, boy.”

“I know. And that was my vision. You at a crossroads. A place where you must choose your way.” Keter reached for the comfort of his amulet.

“Tell me all you saw, lad.”

“Two choices. Kill me or do not.” Keter sighed as Stravor held him tight. “To kill me will change the world. The light that would have been, will be gone. Hemothracene’s influence will grow stronger and move across the lands. Then darkness and chaos will reign.”

“Boy, he brings light and food. More, he has brought peace.”

“Stravor, you are blinded by him. You are bound to him in blood and fire. You cannot see the truth.” Keter’s blue eyes bored into the man who held him. “Yet, you feel it sometimes—the truth.”

“God’s teeth! Tell me the rest of this so-called vision!”

“You’re angry.” Now Keter pushed away. “It is not so-called … they are real what I see.”

“Enough.” Stravor rolled back over. “Sleep. We have far to go.”

“What if I refuse, Stravor?”

Stravor threw back his covering and got out of bed. He strode across the room to the baskets. From one he drew the binding rope. He stalked back, but to Keter’s side of the bed. He pushed the blankets from the boy.

“This is how it will be until my duty is finished.” He tied the hands and feet of the boy tightly. “Now, sleep, in silence lest I gag you.”

Stravor covered Keter with the blanket and returned to his side of the bed. He lay on his back, uncovered, letting the night air cool him. He rummaged in his pouch which lay on the table next to the bed. From it he pulled a small cigar which he lit, after rising and moving to the fireplace. The embers held enough to light the dry twig he’d taken from the mantle. He blew the first smoke out and returned to the bed. “Tell me the rest.”

Keter lay in silence.

“Damn you, boy! Tell me all of it!”

“When you do kill me, your life will be forfeit too. Hemothracene will have no need of Searchers then, especially you. He will have you and your family killed. All of you doubted, and he will not stand for it.” Keter whispered. “Please, Stravor, please help me fight this monster. Together we can.”

Stravor leaned back against the headboard. He smoked in silence. What if he is right? Father thinks so … he said I must keep the lad safe. Damn it, am I so weak-minded that I am blind to what truly is? He swung his gaze toward Keter and then leaned to kiss him. There is no evil in this boy.

Keter lay quietly. He is torn, yet I think he believes me, somewhere deep inside.

Stravor reached over and put out the cigar on the floor. He waited a moment to ensure it would burn no more. Satisfied, he rolled back, and kissed the boy again. There was an honest passion between them. Keter responded, no matter his bonds; he moaned softly. Those moans inciting deeper feelings in Stravor. He untied the boy, who immediately reached for his master’s manhood.

“Damn it, boy.” Stravor pulled him over and on top.

Keter stared down at the man he loved. He grinned. “Yes, Sir?”

Holding his boy tightly, Stravor rolled them both over. He stared into Keter’s eyes. “Are you mine?”

Nodding, the boy held on to his man tightly. Enjoying Stravor’s hardness and the comfort of his strong arms. “I am yours.”

Stravor kissed the lad deeply. He needed to take the boy, mark him as his own. Satisfy him, so he would want no other. “Show me then.”

Keter smiled, nibbled Stravor’s ear, they rolled back over. Then the lad tasted, bit and sucked his way down his master’s body until he reached his prize.

Later, they both lay satisfied in each other’s arms. Stravor kissed Keter. The lad is ready to sleep, but …

“Boy, if I believe your vision. To do what we must to set the world right, where must we go?”

Keter had been near sleep, enjoying Stravor’s strong embrace when his master spoke. He leaned forward to rest his head on Stravor’s chest. “We must go to the Valley of the Crystal Streams.”

 

The sun was merely a thought when Stravor woke. His head pounded, sweat poured from him and he threw off the covers. Sitting up on the side of the bed, he thought, I need to get out of here. He reached for his discarded trousers and pulled them on. His nose wrinkled at his own unwashed body. Strapping on the Sword and grabbing his pouch, he left the bedroom in bare feet.

Outside for fresh air. It will clear my head.

He unlocked the front door and slipped out silently. The world was lightening, and birds sang robustly. Stravor walked over the hard-packed yard towards a copse of trees. A rough bench had been placed there. “I’ll sit and smoke.”

“You believe that I cannot find you, Searcher?” The voice-of-voices filled his head and knocked Stravor to his knees. He clutched at his skull.

“Ahhh, Master? I … I ….”

“You have angered me. You conspire with the witch!”

“No…Master. I do not … I only listen to his words, his plans, so to catch him.” Stravor’s stomach turned over.

“Do not listen to his lies. Do not believe what he tells you, for it is false. You know I am the true God. You know what I have done; what I have brought to the world. Soon all the world. Do you not?”

The voices were so loud, so within him, Stravor felt his body was not his own. He felt ill, like he should vomit. His reply screamed from inside him, then out, causing the birds to fly from the trees. “I know, Master! I know what you have done.”

“THEN GO! Finish the task set to you, Searcher, or feel my full wrath upon you.”

Stravor kneeled still. His breath was ragged. “Thy will shall be done, my lord.”

Then as suddenly as it had come, the voices were gone. Stravor crawled forward and grasped the bench as tears fell from his eyes, and he whispered, “Thy will be done.”

 

From across the yard the stable boy exited the inn, on his way to see to his charges. He stopped and watched the man who’d given him the gold coin. The man appeared in pain. Maybe he’s ill … or demented. The young man debated whether he should go and speak with his father, the innkeeper. He seems quieter now. Perhaps he’s a zealot … no wonder he gave me the coin. I shall make sure I forget him. The boy quickened his pace so as not to be seen by the crazy man.

 

Stravor wiped his wet face and pulled himself onto the bench. He rummaged in his pouch for his smoke, when he realized he had no way to light it. “Fool!” He rose and walked back to the inn.

The innkeeper was in the main hall.

“Good Sir? Does this inn have a bathhouse?”

The innkeeper turned from the tables. “Aye, Sir. Good morning to you.” The man moved toward Stravor, pointing toward the other side of the room and a door there. “Through there, on the right. There is privacy. I fear the water may only be warm yet, Sir.”

Stravor nodded. “Warm is fine. I should like breakfast for two, and tea. Are you able to pack food for our journey, say enough for the day?”

“Yes, of course. I’ll prepare food for you now and your travels.”

Stravor pulled a coin from his bag and handed it to the innkeeper.

“Thank you, but this …”

“Is earned. Thank you.” Stravor walked away, leaving the innkeeper staring at the bright gold coin.

Stravor washed in the warm water he took from the giant black kettle. He replaced the water he’d taken with a bucket of fresh and refastened the lid.

It is good not to stink. Now to wake the boy.

A wave of sadness flowed over him as he strapped the Sword back on. He put out his left arm and leaned against the wall of the washhouse. I will have to make him believe that we go now to the Valley for his purposes.

 

The Searcher woke the lad gently. Keter rose smiling, and Stravor embraced the boy with warmth. Together they made their way to the main hall. Once they’d eaten breakfast, Stravor went to collect Shade, while Keter bathed and waited for their small supply of food.

Outside by the stable, Stravor was fastening the baskets on the pony when Keter joined his master. He packed the food away for later.

“Ready, boy?” asked the Searcher, kindly.

“Aye.”

“Then let’s walk on.” Stravor tugged the pony’s halter and then handed Keter the rope. “You let me know if you get tired, boy.”

“Yes, Stravor.”

The morning, while sunny, remained cool, and the trio walked in comfort. Ahead of them lay the Western Purpel Mountains.

“Do we need to climb those, Sir?”

Stravor glanced upward. “Aye.”

“Oh … and then how far is it?”

“After that? Another three or four days.”

Keter sighed, softly. “There will be more monsters along the way?”

“I hope not, lad. I hope not.”

They kept to the woods and tree line as much as possible. The pony found the going hard at times when the bush was dense; his broad hooves were meant for different terrain.

To supplement their shrinking supply of food, Keter dug bulbs of ripe-weed, dunion and picked bunches of agao leaf. He also found ripe moon pears.

After placing what he’d picked into a basket he handed one of the pears to Stravor.

“Gods’ teeth, boy. What a find these are. They are welcome this warm afternoon.” The Searcher bit deeply and laughed. The fruit’s sweet juices ran down his chin. He wiped them away and finished the meat of the ripe pear in several bites.

Dropping back, Stravor held the core out on his palm for the pony. Shade sniffed and then gently took the remainder of the pear. The little animal seemed to enjoy the treat. He happily took Keter’s offering also.

“He likes that, boy.”

“Aye, Sir.”

“We will walk to the base of the mountains. There we will find a sheltered place near the river. Tonight, a fire, eh, boy?”

Keter nodded as he plodded along. “Yes, please. It would be nice to be warm. I will try to catch a rain fish for us. If we are near enough to the river.”

“I will lay snares for hopper. We will need food to sustain us as we climb.” Stravor regarded the boy. “You seemed warm last night.”

“Because I lay snuggled next to you, Stravor. You would not like me there all of the time.”

The Searcher laughed and swiped the lad’s comely bottom with a big hand. “I would not be so sure of that, boy.”

Keter smiled but walked on quietly. I am sure of nothing lately. You, Searcher, most of all.

 

Finally, after another two hours, the travellers reached the base of the mountains. They hunted along the river for a sheltered place where they could rest and have a fire in relative safety.

Once they chose a place, Keter cut long dry grasses and twisted them together. He was left with a thick plait which he would use to ‘brush’ Shade. In the meantime, Stravor had removed the pony’s baskets and blanket.

Immediately the little animal bucked and then rolled. Keter stood laughing at its antics for a few minutes before moving closer and catching the animal’s halter.

“Come here, you.”

Each time Keter drew close the pony shied away.

“Shade! This is not funny. I need to brush you down!” Keter held the halter, while the pony danced around in circles.

Stravor sat on a log and watched. He grinned as he fixed the snares he intended to use to catch several hoppers. He would skin, dress them and cook the meat slowly. It would then be edible for two days.

Stravor prepared eight snares. I’ll set these, but first, let me help the boy with our wild pony. Rising, Stravor called, “I’ll come help you with that creature!”

Keter now was in fits of laughter. “Yes … please. My eyes water, because of this foolish pony.”

The Searcher held the halter and stroked the animal’s broad head. He gazed into large brown eyes. “You! You small hellion, stand now for Keter! He wishes only to help you.”

Shade stood as bidden while Keter brushed him. The boy inspected each broad hoof and dug out dirt and stones with his fingers.

Stravor watched as the last hoof was released. “Is it finished, boy?”

“Aye, and thank you, master. He is happy to be free of his burden.”

“Go on and fill your belly with these fresh grasses.” The Searcher let go of the horse and gave him a good pat. He gazed at Keter and sighed. I too am ready, to be free of mine.

 

“I’ll go and set two or three lines in the river. Maybe I will hunt for silver crab also.” Keter went to find the necessary gear from the baskets.

“Those will make a fine feast boy, thank you.” Stravor waded across the shallow river. “I’ll set these with a piece of moon pear. That will tempt hoppers.”

Stravor set eight snares. “Even the eight won’t give us much meat, but if the boy is successful, we can save the hoppers for our climb.”

Upon his return to their camp, Keter was anxious to show Stravor the result of his effort.

“Master! I caught us two big rain fish and see this silver crab!” Keter held up the large creature with both hands. “It is heavy and will feed us well this night!”

“Aye, boy! Well caught!” Stravor grinned. “Don’t let that thing catch your fingers. It will snap them off!”

“I won’t!”

The sun was just beginning to set when the boy cooked their meal. The rain fish was light and delicious. The crab meat was dense and sweet. Keter gave Stravor the biggest claw. He knew it would be filled with the most flavourful meat.

Stravor cracked open a large claw. The meat slipped from the shell easily. The Searcher broke off a piece to sample. “Boy, this crab is perfect. Come.” The man broke another large piece and held it out for the boy.

Keter attempted to take it, but Stravor pulled it back and jerked his hand away. Keter leaned forward and the Searcher held the morsel near the lad’s mouth. He popped it in when that mouth opened.

Once he’d savoured and swallowed, Keter gazed at Stravor, and said softly, “Thank you.”

“Aye, lad.” Stravor ate the remaining meat. “Thank you.”

It was nearing darkness when Stravor walked to check his snares. Each contained a hopper, and he quickly broke the neck of each creature he’d captured. He carried them back to camp by their large hind legs.

He and Keter quickly skinned and dressed them. They put the small carcasses on sticks near the fire so the meat would smoke and dry overnight.

Shade, who had not been far away, wandered back to spend the night nearer to his companions.

Stravor leaned back against a large rock, holding Keter in his arms. The fire was warm and was the only light in the dark that surrounded them.

“Look, Stravor, Shade stays close.”

“Mmm, yes. Stone Hill ponies are protective. We have been together now enough that the bond has grown between us.”

Stravor noticed the boy he held was quiet. “You are thinking now, aren’t you, boy? About our bond?”

“No …”

The Searcher smiled. “You lie, but I understand.”

Keter twisted enough to see the smile on his master’s face. “Aye, yes, I lie. I feel like I have to. What kind of bond is it, when you have to end my life?”

The words nearly stopped Stravor’s heart. He closed his eyes and held the boy tighter. He whispered, “You think this is what I want? I am bound to do his bidding, boy. It is not what I desire at all.”

“I don’t want to die.” Keter moved and straddled Stravor’s legs. He slipped his arm around his lover and leaned into his chest; his head on the man’s shoulder. Silent tears dripped onto the Searcher’s leather vest.

“I know.” Stravor pushed the lad back and took his face into his hands. He pulled the boy gently forward and brushed the red lips with his own.

“Will it hurt?”

Stravor pulled the boy back against him. He could feel the lad’s heart pounding against his own body. Rare tears sat in his own eyes as he replied softly, “No, I will see that it does not.”

“Please, Stravor. Please, don’t do this.”

Stravor held his boy as he cried. “I do not want to, lad. But there is no other way.”

The Searcher held the boy until he fell into an exhausted sleep. Then he gently lay the boy beside himself and covered the lad with a blanket. He leaned over and kissed his young lover’s forehead.

Rising to his feet, Stravor added wood to their fire and went to stroke the pony. He leaned on the solid animal. “Would my life were different. That we travelled to a festival or some pleasant thing, eh, horse? See, I have given you a promotion.” Stravor laughed, but there was no joy in it. “Oh, to be a mage now, eh, pony? To have the power to turn back time. For that, right in this moment, I would forfeit my own life.”

Keter did not sleep but listened as Stravor spoke to Shade. The boy smiled to himself and gripped his blue amulet. It was all that was left of his people; passed to him from an old woman before …. It glowed gently; the same blue as the edges of the Life Sword. To Keter it brought comfort as he held it. Smiling still, he glanced at the Searcher and snuggled into his blanket to sleep.

Keter’s nightmares grew less muddled. Though he’d never been inside the Hall of the Dead he could see the Walls. The One Who Watched called to him. He remembered little in the mornings, but the feeling that he had to help the souls there, grew daily.

~

The next few days they spent picking their way up the Western Purpel Mountains. The terrain was difficult; stony and loose. The pony moved slowly despite his surefootedness. The men slid often causing much cursing from them both. Each was glad in his own way to finally reach the summit.

Another day’s walk brought them to the downward side. Keter was astride Shade. Stravor pulled the rope.

“Whoa there, little one.” Stravor then said to Keter, “How is your ankle boy?”

“Well enough, master.” He peered down the mountainside. “Going down will be a worse hell than climbing up.”

“Aye. It will, lad.” Stravor pointed to a group of trees. “There we’ll camp for tonight. There is shelter and grass for this one.” He patted Shade’s thick neck.

Keter nodded. “Below … down there is the valley we seek?”

“Aye. The Valley of the Crystal Streams.” Stravor reached for the Sword. It vibrated at his touch.

Then breaking his reverie, Stravor retrieved and tugged on the pony’s lead. “Come on. Let us set up camp. Give your ankle some time to rest.”

As they plodded toward their chosen campsite, Keter raised his foot and massaged his ankle. Aye, tis much better to go to one’s death with a healed ankle than a painful one.

 

<>

My thanks to my wonderful editor, @AC Benus for all his time spent reading and editing this story, it is so much improved by your insight. My gratitude to my wonderful beta readers, @mollyhousemouse and @Brayon i appreciate your insight and excellent catches! And to @Wayne Gray for listening to my grumbles and ramblings.

And special thanks to all of you who choose to read this story. I hope you enjoy it. Your likes are appreciated, and your comments even more. Thanks again.
Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I’m surprised that these little inns are not fortified. They seem to be isolated in very dangerous country. Yet there is no mention of armed guards, thick walls, or weaponry. I would think they’d need to be in a little hamlet or tiny village, at least, for protection.
;–)

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

A sword and a amulet will save the day.

Will the amulet prevent the sword from slipping into Keter’s body and taking his soul?
;–)

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

…we will have to wait ... now twiddling thumbs till Friday or 7 days ...

I told everybody that the countdown starts as soon as @Mikiesboy posts a new chapter!
;–)

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Not sure a tiny hamlet or much else would stop a herd of Stone Men ... more about that later...

So… bribery (tribute)?
;–)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..