Jump to content

Love is Blind

   (6 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

Andrew and Ian are college friends. One is sighted and one is blind. They have much to learn from each other.

Some reference to sexual activity between consenting adults. PG-13 Rated
My heartfelt thanks to my editors W_L, and Mikiesboy, and Beta Readers Columbus Guy and Geron Kees. Check out their stories!
Like, comment, review, enjoy!
Copyright © 2019 Nick Brady; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (1 member)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 1
  • Characters 1
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 1
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

JeffreyL

· Edited by JeffreyL

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This is a well written short story. It is about Ian, who is blind, and Andrew, who is sighted. Both attend the same college. The story begins when Andrew notices Ian and is curious to learn more about him. They meet and slowly become friends, without any "drama." The writing is first rate. I quickly came to care about these characters. Their dialogue is carefully crafted and feels real. I recommend this gentle, very enjoyable story.

 

Now I have to add that Nick has written an additional eight chapters. Although this short story/one-off is now longer, my review stays the same. There is just more story to enjoy. 

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to review
mollyhousemouse

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This is a sweet story of blooming friendship.  How two people, very different people, negotiate that path. It flows well, from first sight, to the point when they know that the friendship is solid.

I highly recommend sitting down with a cuppa and enjoying the journey.

  • Like 9
Link to review
Doug Spencer

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This story is a gem.  Ian and Andrew met, almost by accident, and both young men had the insight to realize how much they "needed each other."

There is just enough sex to add a bit of spice, but I tend to favor the emotional side of a love story and in my opinion this is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read.

JUST A WARNING!  There are some very touching emotional situations, that may cause you to reach for the Kleenex, keep them handy!  I needed a few.

It's only nine chapters, so you won't get bored, I promise. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.  I was sorry it came to an end.

  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This story is like a gentle river. There's no fear of being dashed against the rocks here. There is just the easy ride, it flows and rocks you. You meet characters you want to know. Who you slowly grow to like and who you want only the best for. There is the beauty of friendship, which is the best thing to base love on. Get your favourite tea, snuggle down and enjoy this wonderful story.

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This is a brilliantly written short story about Andrew and Ian and how there friendship develops into a relationship.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to review
ChillFire

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

(This is a review of the extended story. It was initially a one-off, but the author chose to extend it and write additional chapters.)

Andrew notices Ian, a blind man, at his boarding house's cafeteria and takes an immediate interest in him. The two become friends, and eventually it grows into something more.

Likes

A slow-paced, "minimal action" story (but not boring!). Just two guys trying to figure out how to live their lives together.

The author consulted with those who have vision problems, and while I'm not (very) hard of seeing myself, Ian's disability did seem fairly realistic and was handled with the care it deserves.

The best stories always have a little bit of real life injected into them. I like how the author incorporated elements of his own real life experiences as a basis for several scenes. 

Spoiler-y Thoughts

Spoiler

Likes

I'll be honest, I didn't notice that the setting was in the 1960s at first. Looking back, it was incredibly obvious that this was pre-80s and I have no idea how I missed it (lack of smartphones, computers, etc. along with references to "typing" in regards to a typewriter).

The homebrew story was both hilarious and slightly horrifying. Imagine if someone was in the kitchen when the glasses exploded - especially Ian!

A very touching quote from Andrew in Pepper:

Quote

I think that equality in marriage is largely a myth. What makes a partnership work is for the two parties to compliment each other. What one needs, the other provides. Ian and I complimented each other.

Dislikes

The first chapter is quite long compared to the rest and could probably benefit from being broken up. However, because Love is Blind started its life as a one-off, I think its length is completely understandable. (This is less of a criticism and more a "would be nice" thing because of that.)

Ian's father and brother were assholes. He deserves better! Thank god for Andrew and Ian's mother.

While the ending was satisfying, it also felt a bit rushed in my opinion. I greatly enjoyed the slow burn throughout the first eight chapters, and in Pepper it felt to me like things were suddenly sprinting to a conclusion because of the large time jumps. Perhaps a few intervening chapters to give more detail as to what happened during those times would've been better?

Verdict

Choosing to continue this story past its original one-off chapter was an excellent choice. Ian and Andrew are amazing characters.

5 stars.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..