Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,363 Words
  • 7,247 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trick Me Once - 4. Break the Ice

Baby I can make you feel...

It was about 10 pm when Cody and three of his friends arrived at the bar. They were some guys he recently met in college, so they didn’t really know each other that well, but they seemed like genuinely nice people. Although they were all straight, they had no problem with him being gay, as they already had some gay friends from before. Cody found that they had a lot in common, so it was easy to talk to them.

As they started looking around to see if there are any free tables for four, Cody noticed Trick sitting with his friends. He was tempted to go over there and say hi right away, but he knew it probably wasn’t such a good idea. Also, he was nervous as hell. He thought he should wait for a while, maybe catch Trick before he leaves… In any event, he is going to talk to him tonight, his mind was made up. He couldn’t let him go without asking him if he read the letter and apologizing in person.

Cody’s friends quickly found them a table, so they all went over to sit down and order drinks. It was a really fun party – the music was great, the people were friendly… Now if only he could get Trick out of his head, it’d be a perfect evening, but he couldn’t. He was trying to participate in the conversation and enjoy a night out with friends, but his mind and his eyes kept wandering off to Trick.

After a while, Trick finally noticed him sitting there and they made eye contact. It was brief, but it was enough. Cody was still nervous, so he tried to put on a smile and wave to him, to which Trick just nodded and then turned to talk to Zoe. Making sure he looked presentable, Cody got up from his chair. It’s now or never. His mind was racing, thinking about what he wanted to say to him. He already wrote it in the letter, but it was a thousand times more difficult to do it in person. Still, he knew he had to do it. He wanted to do it!

Slowly, as if he was going to take the most difficult exam for which he hadn’t studied at all, he moved across the bar toward Trick’s table. Once he got there, all eyes were on him: Zoe, Brad, some girl he didn’t know, and Trick all looked up at him.

“Hey guys, how’s it going,” he scanned them quickly and nodded, trying to put some semblance of a smile on his face. Even though he expected it, there was no unpleasantness – everyone said hi to him, even Trick. That’s a good start, right? Well, here goes nothing…

“Patrick, do you have a minute?” he asked, now feeling just a bit braver.

“Sure,” Trick replied, somewhat surprised at himself. He still wasn’t sure how this was going to go down, but he wanted to find out. He’s a big guy now and Cody can’t bully him anymore.

“Can we, uh, go outside and talk in private?”

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.”

With that, Trick got up and followed him out the door. Once they were out, they walked over to a nearby bench and sat down. It was already dark, but the street lights illuminated the place. There were no people nearby, which was what they both wanted. It allowed them to talk in peace without being interrupted or overheard.

“So, uh, how do you like it here? I mean, in college?” Cody asked nervously, deciding that starting with some small talk would be good to break the ice. And there was a lot of ice to break!

“I like it a lot so far. The city is pretty great, too,” Trick replied, still cautious of his former schoolmate. He didn’t know what to expect from him. The mistrust he felt for Cody was rooted deep within him.

“Yeah, it is. I hear you’re studying IT, that’s pretty cool.”

“Yeah, I guess. What about you?”

“I’m in landscaping. That’s been my dream…”

“Cool, I didn’t know you were into that.”

“Yeah, I also work part-time at Prescott Park. It can get a bit tiring, but I like it.”

A slightly awkward silence of a few seconds ensued. They both knew they didn’t come here just to make small talk, so Cody decided to get to the point.

“So, uh, did you get my letter?” He knew he did, but he had to ask. He looked up and briefly looked Trick in the eyes, before looking down at his hands.

“Yeah, I did… I read it,” Trick replied, knowing that that would be the next question.

“Patrick, what I wrote there is true, I want you to know that,” Cody now turned to him and looked him in the eyes again, this time holding the gaze. “I am really sorry for everything. I… know that I hurt you… We all did, Mason, Logan and others… I’m so sorry. You were one of the nicest kids in the class, and we treated you like shit.” His voice was weak and cracked.

“Yeah, you did,” Trick said, trying to remain calm. He thought Cody really looked sincere, as if he really meant everything he wrote in that letter. Still, his heart and head were telling him to be careful. He didn’t want to get hurt again.

“I know I don’t deserve it, but I hope that maybe one day you can forgive me… Do you think that’s possible?”

“To be honest, I don’t know… It sounds easy, and I’d like to just forget about everything, but… I don’t know if I can,” Trick was honest. He knew it was probably the right thing to do, be the bigger person and forgive someone who is showing remorse, but he wasn’t sure he could do it.

“Ok… I’m not asking you to decide now, but please, think about it. I really am a different person now, and I’d like to show you that. Maybe we could meet up one of these days, go for a coffee and just talk?” He took a chance. It was a long shot, but who cares, he had to.

Trick decided to just go with it. He’d hear Cody out and whatever happens, at least he’ll get some closure. Maybe he’ll manage to forgive him and move on, or maybe they’ll go back to not talking, but at least he’ll deal with it in some way. It’s better than what he’d been doing these past four years.

“Ok, why not,” Trick said. As the words came out, he could see that Cody was a bit surprised at his response.

“Well… ok!” A smile broke across Cody’s face. “How about next Thursday? We can meet at the coffee and juice bar near the campus?”

“Ok. Is 2 pm good for you?”

“Yeah, that’s perfect,” Cody said and once again put a shy smile on his face.

“Well ok then… I’m gonna go back to my friends now, so… I guess I’ll see you on Thursday.”

“Yeah, see you!” Cody said, relieved and a bit hopeful. Maybe things will work out after all…

The boys went back into the bar, rejoining their groups of friends. Brad and Zoe had their eyes on the two of them as they entered, wondering what happened outside. They couldn’t wait to hear everything from Trick – if he’s willing to share, of course.

Next day, the three of them were sitting in Brad and Trick’s room, having breakfast. Zoe didn’t even try to make an excuse for coming over. She just said she’d come to hear what happened last night. As usual, Trick was not very talkative, but he didn’t hide anything from them. It’s just the way he was – a man of few words.

“So, what did you guys talk about?” Zoe asked as she was pouring milk over her cereal.

“Well, he wanted to apologize… For high school, for everything,” Trick replied. “Said he was sorry, that he hoped I’d be able to forgive him, and that he wanted us to perhaps be friends.”

“And? What do you think about all of this? You think he’s being honest?” Zoe asked. Brad was just eating his breakfast in silence, listening to the two of them. He was skeptical of Cody and protective of his best friend. He didn’t want to see Trick get hurt again.

“I don’t know, to be honest… He seems to be sincere, but how can I trust him? I mean, I’d love to believe what he says is real, but I just don’t know…”

“Just don’t get carried away, ok? You’re a lot smarter now,” Zoe advised him.

“Yeah, I know… We’re meeting up next week.”

“Really?” Brad finally spoke. He couldn’t hide his surprise.

“Yeah, just going out for coffee. He wanted to talk to me and show me that he’s changed. I said yes, I figured it couldn’t do any harm.”

“Are you sure about this, man? I don’t trust that guy… I’d like to, but I can’t forget how he treated you,” Brad was now even more concerned. He wanted to trust Trick’s judgment, but how well did any of them really know Cody?

“I know, but hey, I’m a big guy now and he can’t bully me anymore. Besides, we’re meeting in a public place, not like he can do much with all the people around,” Trick replied. He was trying to sound relaxed about it, but he knew Brad had a point.

“Just… call me if he tries anything and I’ll come and tear him a new one!” Brad declared.

“Ok, bodyguard,” Trick replied, chuckling.

--

As Thursday was approaching, both Cody and Trick were feeling increasingly more nervous, although for different reasons. Cody was trying to process what happened during their last encounter and what it all meant. He knew he shouldn’t get his expectations too high, or else he could get disappointed. He had to remind himself that they still hadn’t really made up, but at least they broke the ice, and that was something. A few months ago he didn’t think that was even possible, but there they were, sitting and talking like normal people.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he started making plans for what would happen when Trick finally forgives him and they put the past behind them. When that happens, he would finally be able to tell Trick how he feels. However, Cody knew that might never happen and that he shouldn’t be making any plans, so he quickly dismissed those thoughts.

It’s better to go slow and just think one step at a time, but even that made him a little nervous. Not like a few days ago, when they met at the bar, or when he left him that letter. That took a lot of guts, but the worst was over, or so it seemed to him. Now that they’ve established some communication, things should finally get easier.

Trick was also spending more and more of his free time thinking about his upcoming meeting with Cody. He completely neglected the work on his app, which was still unnamed. He almost felt embarrassed when Zoe asked him about it.

“So, I’ve installed the app and connected it to my music library. Now what? It’s gonna track what I play and match me with people with similar music taste?”

“Yeah, exactly!”

“But there are no options to set up my preferences, like for example age or gender. What if some 60-year-old woman has the same music taste as me? It’s gonna match me with her?” Zoe asked, raising her eyebrows. Trick then realized he may have forgotten a crucial part of the app.

“Uhhh, yeah, I may need to work on it a bit more,” he said, making Zoe chuckle.

“Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.”

However, he couldn’t deal with the app right now, his mind was too preoccupied with thoughts of Cody and their pending meeting. He was so conflicted about it and he hated it. Why couldn’t he be interested in some other guy with whom he has no history?

On one hand, he knew very well he still had feelings for Cody, so he naturally wanted to find a way to forgive him and at least try and be friends, just so he could have him in his life. On the other hand, his feelings for Cody were precisely the reason it was so hard to forgive him. Cody hurt him like no one else ever had and he didn’t know how to get past that.

If he hadn’t gotten harassed so much in high school, maybe he wouldn’t have become this awkward guy with zero self-esteem. He would be able to actually talk to people and make friends. He’d be able to go to parties and not feel like everyone was looking at him, waiting for him to embarrass himself and then laugh at him. If he wasn’t so anxious around people, maybe he’d actually be able to ask guys out and start dating.

He felt so handicapped because of this, but he didn’t know how to change. Of course, he blamed the high school jerks for all of this, and one of them was Cody. How could he ever forgive him when he had to live with these consequences every day? He just didn’t know what to do… He wanted to forgive him, but he also wanted to get even – make Cody feel the way he felt, make him suffer and see what he had put him through. He knew it was awful to have those thoughts, but he couldn’t help it, he wanted revenge.

After racking his brain all afternoon, he decided to get up from the bed and make dinner, as Brad would be arriving soon. That would take his mind off of things. It’s better to stop thinking about it so much and just try and let things happen on their own instead of fighting them. Thursday will come soon, and whatever happens, happens.

Once again, huge thanks to everyone for reading, commenting and liking this story. The responses have been overwhelming!
See ya Thursday at 2 pm near the campus! :P
Copyright © 2017 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 11
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

40 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

 A nice Chapter. So looking forward to Trick and Cody meeting at at the Coffee Shop at 2pm on Thursday.

Thanks! Keep your fingers crossed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Bndmetl said:

Is it Thursday yet, what's the time now?? I wanna get a good seat, close enough so I can hear.

if you overhear something, don't spoil it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, TasteofHome said:

I am waiting for Trick to discover that Cody is gay. That is going to throw things for a loop. Great chapter. 

Thanks! Yes, that will definitely be a shocker for Trick! Soon...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter!  I wonder if Trick will accept Cody's revelation that he is gay and he was hiding it in high school, hence all the bullying. That will be a tough reveal for Trick to get past and I would not blame him for wanting to even take a friendship with Cody very slowly.  I wonder though that when Trick smoothes out some of the bugs in his app (age mismatches), if after testing the app on himself he finds out that his musical tastes are a 1:1 match with Cody's?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

Another great chapter, helps me feel better after waking up feeling like dying from this flu

Awww get well soon! I'm glad my story is making you feel at least a bit better. :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, skyacer said:

Great chapter!  I wonder if Trick will accept Cody's revelation that he is gay and he was hiding it in high school, hence all the bullying. That will be a tough reveal for Trick to get past and I would not blame him for wanting to even take a friendship with Cody very slowly.  I wonder though that when Trick smoothes out some of the bugs in his app (age mismatches), if after testing the app on himself he finds out that his musical tastes are a 1:1 match with Cody's?

You pose some very good questions there! A lot to think about until things are revealed...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Both the boys seem to be dwelling on what could should happen at coffee.  Will Patrick be able to break through the shell he has put around himself and forgive Cody?  Time will tell. @Bndmetl and @Sam Wyer is there room for one more?  I can bring the newspapers we can hide behind to be inconspicuous. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Back in 1984, Openly Gay Samuel R Delany’s Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand had protagonists who were matched to several decimal points. Unfortunately, the novel was the first of a proposed ‘diptych’, the second book of which was never published (and probably will never be finished). Delany is an interesting author of Science Fiction/Fantasy and non-fiction – unusual for the SF genre being an older Gay African-American.

 

So the idea of having a computer or other neutral third-party matching people is not a new idea – Science Fiction inspired Tinder- and Grindr- type apps.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Back in 1984, Openly Gay Samuel R Delany’s Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand had protagonists who were matched to several decimal points. Unfortunately, the novel was the first of a proposed ‘diptych’, the second book of which was never published (and probably will never be finished). Delany is an interesting author of Science Fiction/Fantasy and non-fiction – unusual for the SF genre being an older Gay African-American.

 

So the idea of having a computer or other neutral third-party matching people is not a new idea – Science Fiction inspired Tinder- and Grindr- type apps.

I'll have to check out that book, now I'm really curious about it! You're full of interesting facts, aren't you :*)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, ObicanDecko said:

I'll have to check out that book, now I'm really curious about it! You're full of interesting facts, aren't you :*)

I do my best!  ;-)

 

It’s a little frustrating to read because it’ll never be finished. Some of his other books are more satisfying.

 

But there are a few that are justly controversial – one (Hogg) includes underaged characters, but the publisher got around prohibitions on that by arbitrarily adding 100 to the ages of (only) those characters. It has some serious BDSM content with a PA being performed with a rusty nail and numerous unsettling scatological references.

 

I discovered the book because it was on a list of books a Fantasy & Science Fiction teacher wanted to use, but the book was out of print at the time. It’s easier now to find those sets of books these days – back in the ‘80s, it wasn’t something I could find at suburban mall bookstores.

 

I read one of Delany's memoirs (The Motion of Light in Water) and soon after read Bio of an Ogre, the memoirs of Piers Anthony (most famous for his Xanth series). I was surprised when Piers Anthony mentioned reading The Motion of Light in Water too. Motion also describes some real events in Delany’s life that were adapted into fiction in his books. A few of Delany’s fetishes are mentioned – they help explain why certain features are described in minute detail in some books. Delany identifies as Gay, but was bisexual in behavior in his youth having even been married and having a daughter.

Link to comment

So, I'm a little confused. Trick is blaming Cody for him being miserable for the first two or three months in his old high school. Trick didn't take notice when Cody suddenly stopped teasing him? Were Cody, Logan, and the other guy (Mason?) in middle school with Trick and teased him there? And what about the new high school---was Trick teased and bullied there too? 

 

I'm glad Trick is giving Cody another chance to show him how much he's changed. And will Cody come out to Trick? And will Trick think it's a ruse Cody's using to trick (no pun intended! :lol:) him? Inquiring minds (read: mine) want to know!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Lisa said:

So, I'm a little confused. Trick is blaming Cody for him being miserable for the first two or three months in his old high school. Trick didn't take notice when Cody suddenly stopped teasing him? Were Cody, Logan, and the other guy (Mason?) in middle school with Trick and teased him there? And what about the new high school---was Trick teased and bullied there too? 

 

I'm glad Trick is giving Cody another chance to show him how much he's changed. And will Cody come out to Trick? And will Trick think it's a ruse Cody's using to trick (no pun intended! :lol:) him? Inquiring minds (read: mine) want to know!

Trick (as well as Brad and Zoe) did notice Cody's change of behavior in high school, but they just thought it was strange, they didn't know what caused it. The damage was already done by then, so Trick certainly wasn't going to go up to Cody and ask "hey, why are you not teasing me anymore?". The new school was better for Trick, he wasn't bullied and he even had a relationship there, as you'll discover later.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Haha! I was expecting it to go so badly, but it didn't! 

I especially like the disastrous app. :P

 

I'm ambivalent about the inevitable reveal of Cody being gay - that's gonna cause one heck of a stir. I await with (very) cautious optimism! ❤️ 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, AusGlitterati said:

Haha! I was expecting it to go so badly, but it didn't! 

I especially like the disastrous app. :P

 

I'm ambivalent about the inevitable reveal of Cody being gay - that's gonna cause one heck of a stir. I await with (very) cautious optimism! ❤️ 

 

Yeah, the app definitely needs more work at this point, but keep an eye on it! ;)

Thanks again for all the love, it's fun seeing you going through the story!

Link to comment
On 11/4/2017 at 11:35 AM, Bndmetl said:

Is it Thursday yet, what's the time now?? I wanna get a good seat, close enough so I can hear.

I think that we all do. ❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..