Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 2,343 Words
  • 6,804 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trick Me Once - 9. Fingers Crossed

We see more of Cody's soft side. Also, Trick and Cody continue to deepen their relationship - slowly, but surely.

Monday was a busy day for Cody. He had classes late in the afternoon, so he was working the morning shift at the park. This was unimaginable for most of his friends, but he was a true morning person. He loved getting up early in the morning, watching the sun rise, seeing drops of dew on the wet grass and feeling that cold air at the crack of dawn.

He got to the park around eight, ready to get to work, knowing there’s a lot to be done. Also, he didn’t want to have to stay longer than needed because he had plans to see Trick later that day, before classes.

There was so much he wanted to talk to him about, about their past, as well as the present. He wanted to know all there is about Trick, get to know him better and make up for all the time they’ve lost. But most of all, he wanted to just be with him, look at his cute face and hold his hand. He couldn’t stop thinking about their kiss from a few weeks ago and how it made him feel. He wanted that feeling back, more than anything. Now the truth was out in the open, he felt so much better and more certain that now they had a real chance to make it work.

After greeting his fellow workers and making plans about what to do for the day, Cody grabbed his pruning shears and started trimming the hedge. He was soon joined by another worker, Theo, who started working on the hedge from the other side. Theo was three years older, also a college student. His father worked in the park and got him the job so he can have extra income while he was in college. He was a good guy, although he often seemed aloof and had a weird sense of humor. Despite him and Cody being on friendly terms, they never really spoke much. It was just the way Theo was – he liked to keep his distance from people. However, this day was different. After some hesitation, he approached Cody and they struck a conversation.

“So, uh, the guy you were with the other day, you seemed pretty close,” Theo inquired casually.

“Oh, Trick? Yeah,” Cody immediately broke into a big smile.

“That your boyfriend?”

“No, not yet anyway. Hopefully soon…”

“So, you’re gay, huh?” Theo asked, not looking Cody in the eyes and hoping the question wasn’t too forward.

“Yeah. Is that a problem?” Cody asked curiously.

“No, no, of course not, just askin’…” Theo replied, biting his lip. Cody could see that the guy had something else to say, but didn’t want to press him. After some thinking, Theo continued.

“I, uh, think my little bro might be gay. He didn’t say anythin’ to me, but I’m pretty sure. I’m, uh, not really good with words, but… Do you think I should ask him, or do I wait for him to tell me?”

“Well, how do you feel about it?”

“I honestly don’t care, dude, as long as he’s happy. It’s just that we never talk about this stuff, I don’t really talk about feelings and all that, but I just wanna let him know I’m there for him. You know, in case he’s afraid or somethin’…”

“I think that’s great of you, he’s lucky to have your support. I don’t know, maybe he’s not ready to talk about it yet, at least not with you… Or maybe he’s afraid of how you’d react. You could just let him know indirectly that you’re ok with gay people. For example, tell him that you have a good friend working with you at the park, and that he’s gay.”

“Yeah, I guess…”

“Just make sure you’re there for him. I know all about people struggling with being gay and coming out, so trust me, he’s gonna want your support. He’ll need someone to talk to.”

“Thanks, dude, I appreciate it,” Theo looked at Cody and nodded. That was as far as his display of gratitude went. Cody guessed that Theo was not a hugger or a kisser, so he just smiled at him.

“No problem, man. Let me know if anything happens, ok? If you need any help, I’m here.”

The rest of the work day went almost without any small talk, as they were all very busy. Fortunately, things were going as planned, so they finished that day’s work right on schedule. Great! Now he can go home, get cleaned up and go see Trick!

Although he liked to sleep, especially when he didn’t have morning classes, Trick got up early that Monday to work on his app a bit more. Over the past few weeks he didn’t get much work done – at least not as much as he had expected – because he was spending more time with Cody. They were only seeing each other as friends for now, and Trick was ok with that – at least for the time being.

Cody made him feel good, there was no other way to put it. Trick began to realize how kind, friendly and funny Cody was. They always had something to talk about, whether it was music, video games, college or work. So far, they’ve been avoiding the topic of their past, ever since that meeting in the park when they had their first – and only – kiss.

The kiss… That was another thing they’ve been avoiding and Trick wasn’t sure how he felt about that. He wanted a repeat of that amazing moment, but he also didn’t want to go too fast. In the end, he decided to just let things happen in their own time and try not to think about it too much. Yeah, that was definitely going to be hard.

Just as he was finishing the work on the new features for his app, the phone started ringing and Cody’s cute face appeared on the screen.

“Hey!”

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Not much, just working on the app. You?”

“I just got back home from the park. How’s the app coming along?”

“So far so good, hopefully no major bugs appear!”

“I’m sure it’s gonna be great! Hey, wanna grab a cup of coffee later?”

“Sure! How about in… maybe two hours?”

“Sounds great. I’ll come and pick you up! I’ll text you when I’m nearby.”

“It’s a deal.”

Trick almost said ‘date’, but managed to correct himself on time. They never really had an official ‘date’, even though they were well aware of their feelings for each other. Cody didn’t want to rush, and Trick just expected Cody to make the first move, as he always had so far. That’s not to say they didn’t enjoy spending time together as friends; they just didn’t want to ruin the delicate balance they managed to achieve.

His thoughts of Cody were quickly interrupted by someone knocking on the door. Zoe said she’d come to hang out and help him test the app, but she was running a little late.

“Hey, come on in!” Trick smiled as he saw his friend. “Do I have a treat for you!”

“Really?” Zoe smirked, thinking Trick was about to share something about Cody now that they started hanging out more. “What is it?”

“I bought us cheesecake,” Trick grinned and went over to the fridge.

“Oh,” Zoe frowned.

“If you don’t want it, I don’t mind eating both pieces…” Trick teased her.

“Ha ha, hand it over!” she said sarcastically as she practically ripped one of the plates from his hands.

As they sat on the bed and ate their dessert, Trick took out his phone to show Zoe the new version of his app.

“Look, I’ve been working on some of the features you mentioned, what do you think?” He handed her the phone so she can look at it herself. “You can now set your preferences, like age, gender and location. It’s still a work in progress, though.”

“I like it! And you’ve changed the design a bit, it looks much cleaner now!” She was clearly impressed.

“Yeah, that was actually Cody’s idea. I guess he’s got a knack for more than just landscaping design,” Trick said, smiling.

“Speaking of, how are things going between you two?”

“It’s been good. We’re just hanging out, talking...”

“I’m glad for you. For both of you, actually. I know what I said about him before, but I guess I see him in a different light now. To think that he’s been having feelings for you for so long…”

“I know. It was hard for me to believe it too.”

“And for all these years, he never said anything. It must’ve been so hard for him, poor guy,” Zoe said sympathetically and Trick slowly nodded.

It suddenly hit him that she was totally right. How had he never thought about this? All this time he was focused on himself and his own suffering, but he never considered how the whole thing must have affected Cody.

“It’s funny, right… How quickly one can go from being a bully to being a victim,” Trick said, thinking about Cody’s realization that he was gay, but having no one to share it with.

“Just goes to show you never know what someone might be going through,” Zoe wisely concluded.

Soon after she left, Trick got a message from Cody saying that he’s coming over, so he quickly got changed for their not-date. Less than ten minutes later, he was in the passenger seat of Cody’s car.

“So, where do you wanna go?” Cody asked, all upbeat. His good mood was even better now and Trick could feel it, it was infectious.

“Just somewhere quiet where we can sit and have a cup of coffee, if that’s fine with you?”

“Sure, whatever you want,” Cody replied, wanting to please Trick and make him feel comfortable. He liked to let Trick choose where to go instead of forcing him to go to places he might not enjoy. Maybe later, once they spend more time together, he can work on helping him get out of his shell.

A few minutes later, they settled on a small café in one of the tiny cobbled streets with colorful old buildings. As they entered it, Cody led Trick upstairs, to a table in a secluded area where they would be alone, away from the eyes and ears of other visitors.

Little things like that didn’t go unnoticed by Trick. He realized that Cody was arranging things so that he wouldn’t be uncomfortable, and he appreciated it very much.

At first, Trick was glad that it wasn’t crowded so that they could relax and talk freely, but after a while, Cody and he were so deep in conversation that he didn’t even notice any of the people around them. It was as if they were in his room, all alone, laughing and having a great time.

Although they’ve been avoiding talking about the past, Trick decided to broach the subject once more. Thinking about what Zoe said earlier that day, he got the urge to learn more about Cody, if the guy was willing to share.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Cody replied, looking Trick in the eyes as if he was trying to find the question there.

“When you realized you were gay… Did you date a lot of guys?” Trick felt a bit stupid for asking the question, but he couldn’t help it. He wanted to know. Since Cody was so attractive and confident, Trick assumed it must’ve been so easy for him to find a date.

“Well, no, not really. You see, after you left…” Cody had a sad expression on his face, he couldn’t help it, “I, uh, stopped hanging out with Logan, Mason and their crowd. Other kids also avoided me because they still saw me as that annoying asshole, so I was basically a loner for a while. I started hanging out with Peter… You know, the guy who never talked to anyone?”

Trick nodded.

“Yeah, he turned out to be not that bad actually. He was basically my only friend for a long time. I wasn’t out to anyone yet at that point, plus I couldn’t stop thinking about you, so I didn’t date anyone… It wasn’t until the senior year that I finally had the guts to come out. I dated two guys for a while, but I knew there was no point in it. I was still stuck on you,” he chuckled. “I saw you a few times on the street, you know… But I never approached you. I didn’t have the courage.”

Trick just sat and listened, letting Cody tell the whole story without interrupting him. He realized that it wasn’t a walk in the park for him either. Sure, some people might say that he had it coming for being a bully, but Trick wasn’t one of those people. He used to think he was, but now he realized that there are more important things than revenge – things like forgiveness and redemption.

Now that he was finally getting to know Cody after all these years, Trick came to the unexpected realization that forgiving him would actually be easier than he first thought.

“What about you? Did you date anyone in high school?” it was Cody’s turn to ask.

“There was one guy in the new school, but we dated out of convenience more than anything else. We didn’t know any gay person other than each other, so we thought we’d give it a try. I never had any romantic feelings for him, and I don’t think he had any for me either. We eventually ended it and just stayed friends for a while. I, uh, I was kinda interested in someone else,” Trick laughed.

“Oh, I see…” Cody chuckled. “Well, fingers crossed for you and that someone,” he winked, looking at Trick’s smiling face.

“Yeah,” Trick winked back and crossed his fingers.

Big thanks to all the readers, as well as @glennish, you are all amazing :*)
Copyright © 2017 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

54 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Amazing chapter! I love seeing this relationship bloom

Thank you! It's only beginning :*)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Amazing chapter. Glad to see Cody and Trick taking things slowly and allowing the relationship to progress naturally.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

These two young men are amazing, Trick seems to be growing as a person and Cody is reaping the benefits. I like how Cody put in the effort, he didn't sit back and sulk. He's truly one of the good ones. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

they are cute together.:*)

Hope Trick start feeling more confident of himself, I am afraid that Cody will take things really slowly not to hurt him, so if he wants, he might be the one pushing for it:)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bndmetl said:

These two young men are amazing, Trick seems to be growing as a person and Cody is reaping the benefits. I like how Cody put in the effort, he didn't sit back and sulk. He's truly one of the good ones. 

You put it so well! Maybe they did get together at just the right time in their lives...

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sweetlion said:

they are cute together.:*)

Hope Trick start feeling more confident of himself, I am afraid that Cody will take things really slowly not to hurt him, so if he wants, he might be the one pushing for it:)

Who knows... But you've been pretty good at your assessments so far :worship:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, ObicanDecko said:

Who knows... But you've been pretty good at your assessments so far :worship:

Thanks. I like when characters are believable and I  can relate.:hug:

Edited by Sweetlion
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Dancing around each other, knowing that there are real feelings for each other but each afraid for different reasons to take the next step.   Which one of them will take the leap and move the relationship to the next level?????  

 

Thanks and keep up the good work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Amazing chapter. Glad to see Cody and Trick taking things slowly and allowing the relationship to progress naturally.

Thank you for all your support and comments! I hope you continue enjoying the story :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, glennish said:

Dancing around each other, knowing that there are real feelings for each other but each afraid for different reasons to take the next step.   Which one of them will take the leap and move the relationship to the next level?????  

 

Thanks and keep up the good work.

They're definitely getting there!

Thanks :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Trick and Cody are great, I think I could be in love with them :)  Things had better work out good for them!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sam Wyer said:

Trick and Cody are great, I think I could be in love with them :)  Things had better work out good for them!

Is that a threat? :P

Btw how was Vegas?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, ObicanDecko said:

Is that a threat? :P

Btw how was Vegas?

Yep - totally a threat :) :pissed:

And Vegas was, well, it's Vegas.  Awesome, surreal, extreme, fun.  And I saw Cher.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

Yep - totally a threat :) :pissed:

And Vegas was, well, it's Vegas.  Awesome, surreal, extreme, fun.  And I saw Cher.

Awesome! Queen of Vegas and Queen of Twitter :P

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Heeeeeey Trick realises that Cody might have had feelings too! That's a pretty big step!

 

This going slow thing and letting whatever relationship their having evolve and flourish on its own is a great idea! There's so much they need to work through. Major props for Cody (to think I called him Douchebag Cody!) for being mature and strong-willed enough to make things right, and props to Trick for giving Cody a chance - it might be the best decision either of them has ever made. This open and honest communication and bonding warms my cold, cynical heart! ^_^ They're gonna be just fine. 

And if they're not, we're gonna have words.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • “Yeah, that was actually Cody’s idea. I guess he’s got a knack for more than just landscaping design." - A-ha! Very clever, getting Cody's input on the app. 
  • Trick got a message from Cody saying that he’s coming over, so he quickly got changed for their not-date.- Hee hee...denial~
     
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Yay progress is happening. The conversation with Theo about his brother was interesting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..