Jump to content
    ObicanDecko
  • Author
  • 1,984 Words
  • 6,496 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trick Me Once - 8. Time to Tell the Truth

(Four years ago)

“If you must know, Trick moved to another school because of how you and other assholes have been treating him. He couldn’t take the bullying anymore. I know this must be so hard for you, but you won’t be seeing him anymore,” Zoe said venomously, looking Cody in the eyes as she closed her locker and left.

He stood in the hallway, feeling like someone had just run over his puppy before his eyes. A few seconds later, he came to his senses, wiped his tears and hurried to the bathroom.

Trick left because of him, and now he won’t see him again. He didn’t even get a chance to tell him how he felt, tell him he knew everything and that he felt the same way. But maybe it wasn’t too late…

He entered the bathroom and went to the sink to wash his face, hoping to hide that he’d been crying. As he finished and got ready to leave, Mason came in.

“Hey, did you hear the fag left the school?” Mason said gleefully.

Cody had never felt angrier in his life. Surprising both of them, he shoved Mason into the cold tiled wall as hard as he could, making him fall to the ground.

“Fuck you, Mason!”

“What the hell, man?!” Mason started to get up, confused and angry.

“Don’t talk to me again or I’ll fucking kill you!” Cody shouted and hurried out, leaving stunned Mason standing there, wondering what just happened. Passing the hallway and the classrooms, Cody ran out of the school. Skipping classes for the day seemed like the least of his worries.

That evening, Trick was in his room, doing homework. He had a bit of catching up to do in his new school, but he didn’t mind it. Now that he was able to go to school without feeling like everybody hated him, studying didn’t seem like a problem at all.

It was only his second week at Lake Heights, so he still hadn’t made any real friends, but people seemed nice. He didn’t go out of his way to talk to everyone, but there was also no fighting or teasing. There was even one openly gay guy in another class, which was a shock for him.

Even though the new school seemed miles better, he missed having Zoe and Brad around. They still saw each other a few times a week, but it wasn’t the same. Also, he didn’t want to admit it to himself, but he missed Cody too. He knew it was stupid, but he couldn’t help it. He was used to looking around the class and catching Cody looking at him shyly before quickly turning his head.

As he was doing homework and thinking about his friends, Trick had no idea that the guy from his thoughts had just parked his bike outside his window, trying to gather the courage to knock on the door and ask to talk to him.

Minutes were passing by as Cody sat outside, looking up at Trick’s window. Eventually, the lights went out and he got back on his bike and drove off.

“Coward,” he muttered to himself as he was driving through the night, going back home.

--

“I know you’re sorry…” Trick said.

“I don’t mean just about the bullying… I mean about everything.” Cody felt his heart beating harder and faster. He was sure Trick could hear it. Well, this is it. He has started the avalanche and he can’t stop it now.

“What do you mean?”

“Uh, Trick, I need to tell you something.” Cody was thinking hard, as if he was trying to divine how the entire conversation is going to go. He sat at the nearest bench and motioned Trick to come sit next to him.

“Is this what Brad told me you wanted to talk to me about? It sounded important.”

“Yeah, it is.” Cody reached for Trick’s hand, wanting to hold it. He thought it would give him strength to continue, but he stopped himself. “I don’t know how to tell you all this because I don’t want to hurt you anymore. Just… promise me you’ll try to understand, ok?”

Trick was confused and a bit scared. Can’t they ever have a normal conversation? It always has to be marred with the past.

“Ok, I promise…” Trick looked him in the eyes and nodded, trying to be encouraging even though he wasn’t sure what was coming.

Cody looked around, as if he was trying to absorb energy from all the trees around them.

“Ok, I guess I should start from the beginning… Back in high school, I did a lot of stupid shit, you know that… But then I realized something that made me change. I stopped harassing kids, I left you alone…”

“I know. First you were… ruining my days, and then you started avoiding me like the plague.” Thinking about it, Trick didn’t know which was worse.

“I just… didn’t know what to do,” Cody said, sounding sad and lost.

“What happened?”

“I, uh, heard you guys talking one day at school – you, Brad and Zoe. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, I was just there. You were talking about your… situation and how you, uh… had a crush on me.”

Cody stopped talking, waiting for a reaction from Trick, but nothing happened. Trick was too busy sweating and hearing his heart beat loudly in his head to say anything.

“That was something totally new for me. I kept thinking ‘What is going on? Why would he feel anything for me?’ No one had ever shown any interest in me, told me I was special, nothing…”

“You knew all this time… That’s why you avoided me,” Trick said in a weak voice. “Every time I caught you staring at me… You knew. What were you thinking, that I was some pathetic idiot to fall for a guy who treated me like shit?”

“No, Trick! I never thought that. In fact, I thought I was a pathetic idiot. That’s why I didn’t get why you would even like me… I was just trying to understand.”

Cody was now sitting turned to Trick, looking at him and hoping Trick won’t bolt and leave him alone. Trick refused to turn and look at him, keeping his eyes on the path in front of him, his hands clutching the bench he was sitting on.

“So what did you understand?”

“That you’re a sweet guy who was able to look past my horrible behavior and see something in me that no one else did… And that you’re pretty damn cute, too.”

Cody knew he crossed the line with that last sentence, but it was a line he had wanted to cross for a long time. Trick frowned for a second, unsure what Cody was saying to him.

“Trick, do you understand what I’m trying to say here?” Cody asked softly.

“No, I don’t,” Trick replied. He had a pretty good idea, but refused to believe it. It couldn’t be true. How could Cody reciprocate his feelings?

“I like you, Trick. More than I ever thought I could… I don’t know if you still feel the same about me, but if you do…”

Cody stopped talking when Trick finally turned to look at him. His eyes showed desire, but also sadness.

“Why didn’t you say anything? We could’ve…” Trick just shook his head. He wanted to say how they could’ve been together all this time, all these years, but then realized it probably wouldn’t have happened that way even if he had told him the truth. He was too angry at Cody and wouldn’t have been able to forgive him then.

“I was a coward. By the time I came around, you were gone. I was afraid to look for you because I thought you would hate me, and I couldn’t take that. I couldn’t stand the thought of you hating me.”

Cody finally gathered his courage and placed his hand on Trick’s. Their eyes met once again. At this point, both of them were fighting tears, but knew they wouldn’t be able to keep that up for long.

Before he knew it, Cody gently placed his hand on Trick’s cheek. Perfectly synchronized, they leaned in, closed their eyes and their lips met in a soft kiss that made them feel like their hearts would explode. Cody hoped time would somehow stop, leaving them frozen like that forever. He’d kissed guys before, but none of them could compare to Trick. He could already feel getting addicted to the taste of Trick’s warm lips. It was as if his entire body was being filled with warmth and happiness.

Trick had a million thoughts running through his head, but he didn’t want the kiss to end. He squeezed Cody’s hand and kissed him more passionately, when he felt Cody’s hands around his face. To feel his fingers on his skin was heaven, to have their lips locked together was something he’d been dreaming of forever. He thought he’d start crying from happiness and never stop.

When they finally ended the kiss, breathing heavily, reality hit them again. For a while, they managed to forget everything they have been talking about, but now it all came back. They went silent for a few moments, letting tears fall down their cheeks, before Cody dared to speak first.

“So, you don’t hate me?” he asked nervously.

“Of course I don’t hate you, Cody,” Trick replied with a guilty look on his face.

“But…?” Cody sensed there was something.

“But this is too hard. I don’t know how to just get past everything. I’m not the same guy I used to be back then,” Trick said, hoping his words would not hurt Cody.

“You don’t trust me…” Cody realized and let go of Trick’s hand, feeling a little chill in his heart.

Trick looked down again.

“I don’t know. I want to trust you, I really do, but… This has more to do with me than you. You have to understand… Ever since high school, I don’t know how to trust people, how to make friends. I feel awkward doing anything in public, I can’t go out alone without feeling people are judging me…”

Cody felt his heart would break. He never realized how much being bullied had affected Trick, how deep the scars were.

“This is my fault,” Cody said, wiping tears from his face.

“Cody, don’t…”

“It is. Maybe I wasn’t the only one guilty, but I was there. I did nothing to make things better for you.”

He grabbed Trick’s hand again, squeezing it and bringing it to his mouth to kiss it.

“If you let me, I will be there for you. I won’t let anyone hurt you again.”

“Cody, it’s not gonna be that easy.”

“I know, but I meant everything I said. I can’t let you go away again.”

Now that he’s had a taste of Trick, he wasn’t sure he could live without it again. He wanted to feel him and hold him every day.

“I need to think about all of this, it’s all too much.”

How could this be happening? Being with Cody had always been his biggest wish, but he was resigned with being alone forever. Could his dream really come true? Trick was sure something would go wrong, it was just too good to be true. How could Cody be feeling the same way? He must be lying… But he seems so honest. And that kiss…. Oh my God, that kiss! The real thing was a million times better than the dreams.

“Ok, I understand. But I’ll be waiting, and I’ll keep trying,” Cody said, giving him a small smile. He saw a tiny glimmer of hope in Trick’s beautiful eyes and decided to hold on to it. Trick was worth the wait.

There, no cliffies this time!
Thank you everyone for spending some of your time following Trick's and Cody's journey! Once again, thanks to @glennish for his expert advice!
Copyright © 2017 ObicanDecko; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 53
  • Love 18
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

30 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Hallelujah no cliffhanger. Cody is a complex guy and its apparent Trick doesn't understand fully what he wwent through.

I agree. they both need to communicate and learn about each other, catch up on everything they've missed.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you! For this chapter, and the almost no cliff hanger lol Hey @glennish, any chance you take bribes so I can find out what happens. :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Bndmetl said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! For this chapter, and the almost no cliff hanger lol Hey @glennish, any chance you take bribes so I can find out what happens. :hug:

Thank you for reading! I'm happy you liked it, this was a big chapter in their relationship :*) 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Bndmetl said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! For this chapter, and the almost no cliff hanger lol Hey @glennish, any chance you take bribes so I can find out what happens. :hug:

Maybe, You never know what I will let slip on Discord :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, glennish said:

Maybe, You never know what I will let slip on Discord :2thumbs:

Shhh just don't tell them about Cody's evil twin coming from the future to kidnap Trick and take him to another dimension :X

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ObicanDecko said:

Shhh just don't tell them about Cody's evil twin coming from the future to kidnap Trick and take him to another dimension :X

And I definitely won't mention the plan to have Brad and Zoe go on a killing spree somewhere in Kentucky when they snap after Trick goes missing.  :whistle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

I don’t know. I think the kiss was a little unrealistic considering their history. I could imagine a hug, but the kiss was a little more than I think would be realistic. I’m glad they had their talk and all, but this just seemed to be too big of a leap. I’m sure that I’m in the minority though…  ;-)

Link to comment

So Cody has laid himself open at Trick’s feet. And I doubt Trick would never kick someone like that, not even if it were justified. Yet each has reason to doubt the other, even as they yearn. How will they bridge that gap?

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I don’t know. I think the kiss was a little unrealistic considering their history. I could imagine a hug, but the kiss was a little more than I think would be realistic. I’m glad they had their talk and all, but this just seemed to be too big of a leap. I’m sure that I’m in the minority though…  ;-)

I think they just had a lot of pent up emotions that have been bottled up for years, and they couldn't resist it any longer. But afterwards, they came to their senses a bit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

So Cody has laid himself open at Trick’s feet. And I doubt Trick would never kick someone like that, not even if it were justified. Yet each has reason to doubt the other, even as they yearn. How will they bridge that gap?

 

Yeah, I hope it will be interesting to see how they try and make things work despite their past.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 hours ago, glennish said:

And I definitely won't mention the plan to have Brad and Zoe go on a killing spree somewhere in Kentucky when they snap after Trick goes missing.  :whistle:

You stay out of Kentucky, ya hear. There ain't no Trick there, there's a Paddy, but no Trick. :no: I had everyone check, even did a search with Cash and C.C. - Nothin' 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I don’t know. I think the kiss was a little unrealistic considering their history. I could imagine a hug, but the kiss was a little more than I think would be realistic. I’m glad they had their talk and all, but this just seemed to be too big of a leap. I’m sure that I’m in the minority though…  ;-)

 

You okay Drought, did someone pee in your cheerio's this morning?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Nice chapter, so happy that they had the first heart to heart... I agree that the kiss seems a bit too quick for Trick, they still have a lot of healing to do. Even if Trick talked about it:

Quote

Ever since high school, I don’t know how to trust people, how to make friends. I feel awkward doing anything in public, I can’t go out alone without feeling people are judging me…

I am not sure Cody realizes how Broken he feels inside, even four years after leaving their school, he still feels like a scared little mouse.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

For some reason the site isn't letting me quote! -_- So bear with me.

"Before he knew it, Cody gently placed his hand on Trick’s cheek. Perfectly synchronized, they leaned in, closed their eyes..."

 

It's taken EIGHT chapters but I've finally found something that bothers me a little - just those two words, I think! The kiss scene was gorgeous! Cute, beautifully written and exactly what I wanted - I think even blushed a little - but that doesn't quite feel right. They're both complex characters with a lot of baggage: Trick is distrustful and sometimes resentful whereas Cody is full of self-loathing and guilt. Their one major constant is that they've been in love with each other for a very long time, so if that shines past their faults, flaws and insecurities and unites them in a moment of sweet, loving affection, I am SO down for that ^_^❤️ It's just that a perfectly synchronised kiss between two such characters at this point feels a bit awkward - but that's probably me being a cynical person at my core. 😜 I really did love that scene and I look so forward to expanding on it in more chapters! 

 

I enjoyed the trip down memory lane - Cody's development is probably my favourite part of Trick Me Once at the moment! It's brilliantly paced and he's more complex and interesting every time we explore him. I especially loved when he told Mason where to go with the horse he rode in on! ;) Awesome chapter, of course. Maybe even my favourite thus far! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..