Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 848 Words
  • 2,320 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Adventures - 1. DSA Chapter 1

For the past four years, we have been monitoring everything that has been happening on the Earth’s moon, and the Space Research and Training academy was now a permanent lunar base for the European Space agency, which make weekly trips between Earth and the moon, for staff changes and supplies.

Grandfather Martin had retired shortly after his fiftieth birthday, and he and grandmother have retired to a quiet location in New Zealand, and they contact us at the usual special times of Birthdays, and Christmas. Lucas Durham has returned to working for the United Republic of Planets, and has returned to his original posting of Earth’s Ambassador, based on the Sahndrol Islands in the Northern Atlantic Ocean.

For me and my brother Suamyl, along with our parents, we have been secretly living on Earth, in a mansion at Shell Point, on the south end of Castle Harbour, Bermuda, where even the house staff have no idea who exactly we are, as we have been using our Earth names of Mr Quinn and Mrs Natalia Lenegan, and for me I adopted the name Mason, and Suamyl is known as Samuel.

The only difference between us and our new friends on the islands is that we are half Human and half Sahndrolian, and apart from that and our ability to speak a language from another planet. Sam and I have also developed telepathy skills, that our mother said would start to develop when we reach the age of ten, and since we started living in Bermuda, we have both been attending Warwick Academy, which is the oldest school on the islands.

However, since the start of the school year this year, at my request, I wanted to get a private school education in England, and so I am now attending Winchester College, in Hampshire. With just three school terms, the first is 14 weeks from September to mid-December, the second is 10 weeks from mid-January to March and the last is 9 weeks from late April to early July.

When not at school I fly back to Bermuda, to spend my holidays either there or in New Zealand with our grandparents, who we see at least once a year, usually at Christmas.

When I arrived home at the end of the first term at my new school, I was informed that we would be spending our four weeks of holidays in space, travelling to the capital near Jupiter, where the family has been summoned to attend a special ceremony of which our parents refused to tell us what it is about.

Using our 27-metre open yacht, we travelled from our private jetty below the house, around the east side of the airport, just inside the shallow reefs, and into St George’s Harbour, to get to the main jetty of the United Nations complex on Paget Island.

Before we arrived, we had the official flag of the United Republic of Planets flying from the aft of the boat, to let the UN security know that we are officially visiting the UN, and it was the Ambassador of New Zealand and two of his staff who arrived at the jetty to greet us.

“My Lord and your Serine Highness, this is a pleasant surprise to see you here,” the Ambassador said as my parents stepped onto the jetty with Sam and me following. “Thank you for the welcome, Ambassador, but the visit will be very short, as we are on our way to the Space Capital for some official business,” my father replied.

“I see, so we are to expect a space shuttle to arrive soon?” the Ambassador asked, just as the noise of the shuttle starting to be heard, as it began to slowly come down. “If you would be kind enough to escort us to the Landing pad on the roof, that would be appreciated,” my father said as we saw the shuttle slowly land on the roof of the main central building of the UN.

After passing through the security gates, we all headed inside, and the elevators quickly took us to the roof level of the main building, and as quickly as it had arrived, the shuttle was back in the air again, and heading for space, with a three-day journey ahead of us.

Our mum had packed us a suitcase each, with enough clothes to last us for a week, even though we were not sure how long exactly we will be away from Earth, and it has been just over two years since Sam and I have been in space, and it felt good to be out amongst the stars once more.

With a crew of just five, they assisted us in any way we wished, and while at times I was bored, and wished that I was back on Earth and at boarding school again, I also was looking forward to getting back to the capital city at Ganymede, as it has been quite some time since I was last there, with most of our previous space journeys going only as far as Mars.

Copyright Preston Wigglesworth, Jan 2020 All Rights Reserved
  • Like 15
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great beginning to the story. It’s great to see how the characters have aged since the original story. The family has been summoned to the capital near Jupiter for a ceremony and the parents are not telling the boys what it’s about. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Awesome start to the story. Great to see how the characters have aged. The family has been summoned for a ceremony that the parents won't tell the boys what it is for, only that it is at the capital near Jupiter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome start to the story. Great to see how the characters have aged. The family has been summoned for a ceremony that the parents won't tell the boys what it is for, only that it is at the capital near Jupiter.

What do you think of the cruiser?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Preston, some people say going to OZ is like going to another planet or an "out of this world adventure". DSA seems a bit like that, being before 'on' and 'off world'. Jupiter, hmm.

My journalistic 'Editor's Eye' is enjoying this so far. (in other words, nothing jumping out at me asking to be tweaked), with one exception: "My Lord and your Serine Highness" is properly spelled 'Serene'.

Speaking of 'adventure', I think there's still another 'penny to drop' with Lord Tyler'. It's not quite the gilded cage we've been left with,  what with unanswered questions about MI5 & 6's possible involvement in his mother's untimely road 'accident' death. Tyler's uncle didn't seem to investigate which begs a Question. And then there's unrequited love (or friendship?). Your characters seem to have that problem... a lot. 

Food for thought? Like a Chinese restaurant buffet, always hungry for more. ;-p

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Glad to see that Lucas got his posting back; that he lost it in the first place just never made any sense to me; felt more should have been explained at the time.  

The family is spending a lot of time on Earth, just allowing the kids to be exposed to the life there or what?  This chapter seems to leave a lot of unanswered questions that need answers; hopefully the upcoming chapters will answer some of them.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..