Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,888 Words
  • 1,892 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deep Space Adventures - 4. DSA Chapter 4

“No I don’t, actually, on Earth, there is one group of natives who have a name for people like me, and that is called Two Spirits,” I replied, and I could see that Houny was trying to work out what I meant, as I looked up to the boy’s mother, “Yes, I know what this means, it’s called Klaenk in Drol, and I think that my oldest son is the same as you. As long as you love someone, that you truly care for, it doesn’t matter who that person is,” Mrs Otterman said to me in English.

“I thank you for your understanding,” I replied smiling, “I… I do too, and yes I am the same as you,” Isnyl said in broken English, as he reached over and held my hand gently. Changing to the Drol language, “I am glad to find someone like myself, which I thought would be virtually impossible way out here in space. But we are both very young, so I suggest that we take our friendship slowly, until we know each other a lot better,” I said to Isnyl.

“So, you will stay in contact with me?” Isnyl asked. “Yes, my friend I will be in regular contact with you, no matter how far away I am,” I replied. After dinner, I helped Mrs Otterman with clearing the table and cleaning up, before retiring for the night.

The following morning, straight after breakfast, Mrs Otterman took me to the township of Armenta, so that I could contact the palace. I followed Mrs Otterman into the Town Moderator’s office, near the centre of the town. “Yes, what can I do for you?” the man asked, in a grumpy tone, “Please sir, we need to make contact with the palace at the capital,” Mrs Otterman asked nicely.

“What business do you have to speak to them, you are just a farmer and widow?” the man replied, “I suggest that you speak to this lady nicely, or I may have to make some changes around here,” I said stepping out from behind Mrs Otterman, “The crown Prince, but how? Sire, I am at your service,” the man said as he stood and bowed to me.

“I wish to speak to my uncle at the palace, please arrange it immediately, and I do not want a word to leave this room, that I am here,” I replied, “As you wish sire, please this way to the communications room,” the man said, as he led the way and I motioned Mrs Otterman to follow me.

A few minutes later, I was in contact with the palace. “This is Crown Prince Maenyl Lenegan, I wish to speak to my uncle right away,” I asked when the call was connected, “Oh, wonderful you are alive, yes sire, right away, please hold,” the ladies voice said in reply.

“Maenyl, is that you boy?” a deep voice said after a few minutes of silence, “Yes uncle it is me, I had gone for a walk, and fallen and hit my head, which resulted in temporary loss of memory. A kind family found me in an alley and have been taking good care of me, while I was recovering.

My memory returned last night, while looking at a photo of the original crew of the Star Voyager, that included my father, and discussing the people in the photo with my host, whose husband was also a crew member, but is now dead,” I said to my uncle.

“It is good to know that you are alive and safe, your parents are very worried, as was I. Now tell me, where are you?” my uncle asked, I am in the township of Armenta, as that is not far from my host’s farm,” I replied. “Armenta, my word, you are a long way from the capital, I will have a shuttle come and collect you, it will take about an Earth hour. Do you need anything brought to you?” my uncle asked.

“Yes, some clothes, mine were badly damaged when I fell, and I have borrowed clothing that I am wearing at the moment, and something for a reward for my hosts,” I replied, “Sir, you do not need to reward us, it has been my honour to look after you,” Mrs Otterman said to me.

“Did you hear that uncle, she wants nothing for her kindness and good care of me, I think that deserves more of a standard reward, don’t you?” I said to my Uncle.

“Yes nephew, I heard and I am in agreement with you. Have your hosts travel with you back to the capital, and we will deal with that matter after the ceremony, which needs to be done as soon as possible,” my uncle said to me. “Very well uncle, have the shuttle travel to the farm, twelve Earth miles to the left the township, I will see you soon,” I replied, and the call ended.

“Thank you for your assistance Moderator, you will receive payment from the palace in a short while,” I said to the man, before walking out of the office and heading back to the shuttle bays. “Are we returning to the farm, sire?” Mrs Otterman asked me, and I just nodded my head yes.

Once back in the shuttle, where I knew we had privacy, “Mrs Otterman, do you have anyone who would be able to look after your farm, while you are away, as his Majesty has asked for your families presence at the palace, to attend the ceremony as special guests,” I said to Mrs Otterman, “Sire, that is most generous, but we are just humble farmer’s,” my hoist replied sounding shocked, as she started up the shuttle and slowly left the shuttle bay.

“It is my request also, for everything you have done to look after me. Now can anyone take care of the farm?” I responded, “Yes sir, our neighbours, who looked after the farm when we were last at the capital, they are happy to help, as they have older son’s that can do all the work duties,” Mrs Otterman replied.

“Good, that is settled then, call in and see them on the way back to your place, and maybe not mention that I am in the shuttle, and let them know that you will be away for about 4 Earth days,” I said, Yes sire,” Mrs Otterman replied and she changed directions slightly to a new destination.

I remained in the shuttle, while Mrs Otterman spoke to her neighbours, and she returned a few minutes later, and told me that it had all been arranged, and that they could take any fruit and vegetable crops that are ripe, while she is away, which they were pleased with, as they say we grow the best in the district.

When we arrived back at the house, I sat at the kitchen table. “What happened, is everything ok?” Isnyl asked, and I just smiled. “Right you boys, go and pack your bags, we have been invited to return to the city for a few days, including seeing our Crown Prince’s ceremony,” Mrs Otterman said to her sons, and she smiled to me.

“Yes mother, but are we going by our shuttle again?” Houny asked, sounding not too pleased to be going on another long trip so soon. “No, my young friend, a special shuttle is coming from the capital to collect us, and it will be here shortly, so you better pack quickly,” I replied, and I watched them scoot off to their rooms in a hurry.

“What did you say to your friends about having to return to the city?” I asked Mrs Otterman, “I said I had a message from the town moderator’s office, informing me that I need to go to the capital to see a specialist, as I may have a medical condition, and more tests are needed,” Mrs Otterman replied.

“Very clever, I would not have thought of something like that, thank you for keeping my presence quiet,” I said, and Mrs Otterman smiled before heading to her room to pack.

When the family returned to the main living area, they had a suitcase each and all of them were dressed in their very best clothes. Shortly after, the sound of a shuttle landing close to the main house could be heard, and the sound of a buzzer could be heard a few minutes later.

“That is the doorbell for the Shuttle bay,” Isnyl said as he headed off towards the bay, to let the new arrivals in, but it wasn’t the shuttle from the capital, it was their neighbours. “Mother, it’s the Guanyl boys from next door,” Isnyl called out. “You better hide, or they might recognise you,” Mrs Otterman suggested to me and I shook my head no and stayed where I was.

“Nuetal and Pyen, this is my new friend Maenyl who is visiting from the capital,” Isnyl said making the introductions, and I could see that both boys were a few years older than myself, as they approached and shook my hand. “Do you know, that you look a lot like the picture of the Crown Prince?” the oldest of the two boys said to me.

I smiled, and looked at Mrs Otterman briefly, “I am he, Crown Prince Maenyl Lenegan nephew to his Majesty the Emperor,” I replied, and both boys looked shocked before dropping to their knees and bowing their heads, “Sir, this is indeed a great honour to meet you, we have heard so many interesting stories of your father’s journey to the homeworld, and the journeys to Earth,” Nuetal, the oldest boys said.

“Please rise, we are very less formal here, now tell me, do you farm the same crops as the Ottremyn family?” I asked, “No sire, our crops are entirely producing that is grown from the homeworld, so we trade with the Ottremyn family to have a varied diet,” Pyen, the youngest boys replied.

“I see, you boys will be staying here while the Ottremyn family are away?” I asked, “That is correct sire, same as before, we have enough brothers and sisters to assist our parents with the crops at home,” the older boy replied, just as the sound of another shuttle landing could be heard.

“That will be our ride back to the city, it has been nice meeting you, and I ask that you keep my presence here a secret from everyone including your family, so as not to cause any problems with the Ottremyn family when they return,” I said to the neighbours. “As you wish sire, not a sound from us about you being here,” the younger boy replied.

“Good take care of yourself and the Ottremyn family home and farm, and we may meet again someday,” I said to the two brothers, who bowed their heads, and a few minutes later we were onboard the shuttle, where my mother was waiting and she wrapped me in a tight hug.

When she released me, I faced the Otterman’s, “Mother, this is the Otterman family, Mrs Sibyl Otterman, widow of Mr Karl Otterman, Junior Science officer and former crew mate of Father’s on the Star Voyager, her oldest son Isnyl, and youngest son Houny,” I said making the introductions.

Copyright Preston Wigglesworth, Jan 2020 All Rights Reserved
  • Like 13
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. All seems well with the Crown Prince and the family who rescued him. 

Yes, but many more dramas and adventures ahead...

Edited by quokka
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Maenyl has recovered his memory and is on his way back to the palace along with the Otterman family members who were the ones who took care of him after his fall. Sibyl Otterman is the widow of Karl Otterman who was a junior science officer on the Star Voyager along with Maenyl’s father. Maenyl was trying to avoid the ceremony at which he would be formally recognized as the Crown Prince when he took off running from rooftops and then fell before he was able to get to the other roof.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The fact that there was a suspicion that the Crown Prince had been kidnapped from the palace implies that there is a cabal organized in opposition to the present regime and there was a suspicion that they had kidnapped the Crown Prince. That implies that he is in danger, well, we will have see what develops in additional chapters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Maenyl is fully recovered and ready to go back to his old life; or is he?  Will he be ready to step into his position as Crown Prince or take some ore time to get ready for it; still don't understand why his family did not better prepare him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..