Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,175 Words
  • 4,503 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 11. Chapter 11 Sweet Sorrow

I guess I was exhausted. It had been a very exciting, but tasking week. I turned eighteen, got married to a man that became king the next day! Who wouldn’t be tired? So when we got back to our room after the reception after Seth was crowned, I laid down for just a minute to rest a little. Seth crawled on the bed beside me, spooning up behind me. Neither of us moved until the sun came up the next morning. We hadn’t even gotten out of the clothes from the day before! But I felt gentle kisses on my throat that woke me up. I rolled toward him grinning as he was very good at what he was doing.

“What time is it?” I asked.

Seth grinned at me and shrugged. “Beats me. But who cares? Early yet, I think.” His hand drifted down to my crotch. “Now that we’re both up…” he grinned. “Want to do some loving?”

I chuckled bringing him even closer. “That was such an obvious pun.”

He nodded. “I meant it that way.” He grinned. “Besides, now that I’m king, I think we can take a day or two for just us. Who’ll argue with me?”

I wrapped my arms around him. “Loving you will always be on the top of my list. Spending a couple of days where there’s just us, sounds great.”

Only this time, we took the time to undress. We had our meals delivered and hardly left the bed that day and most of the following day. But I knew my brother and Ella would be leaving soon, so I finally got up, bathed and dressed. Seth did, too. It was nearly dinner time when I searched for someone. I finally found Ella entertaining her three children in their quarters.

“Erik, hello.” She greeted kissing me on the cheek. Then she looked at me. “You are very happy.” She stated, but it was a statement, not a question.

I nodded. “I am.” I greeted my nephew and nieces. “Is Christian around?”

“He and Alexander were out on the lawn. By the gardens.” She said. “We’ll see you. Are you and Seth coming to dinner?”

I nodded. “We’ll be there.”

As much as I loved Seth, and I did, but I was falling in love with Blethos, I was hurting when I saw Christian. He and Alex greeted me as we found them. Alex was getting tired, so Seth walked with his father back so Alex could rest.

Christian and Ella would be heading back to A’Dore. That hurt. But his place was in A’Dore. Mine was here.

“What’s wrong, Erik?” Christian asked me quietly seeing the pain on my face.

I smiled. “I’m just going to miss you, Christian. Not a day went by when we didn’t see each other. Now, you’ll be a thousand miles away. That hurts.”

Christian smiled and nodded, but the feeling was the same on his face. “I know. We’ll see one another again. You know that.”

I nodded. “But it won’t be the same.”

Christian nodded, standing next to me. “No. It won’t.” He hugged me tightly. “But you have a rich, wonderful life here. A husband that clearly adores you and that you adore.” Then he chuckled. “And when we can get Demetrius to do it, we can get messages to each other in minutes.”

I looked up. “Hey, yeah. I haven’t seen him.”

Christian shrugged. “Call him.”

“Demetrius, are you around?” I asked the air.

“Am I around?” Demetrius repeated, his tone was asking me how could I doubt him, this time just came walking over. I mean, he wasn’t then he was….it’s hard to explain. “Of course I’m around. I said I would be.” He hugged me. “By the way, nice wedding.”

I smiled. “You were there,” I said. “It was your magic that took away Seth’s scars.”

Demetrius shook his head. “Oh, no, no. I didn’t do that. None of us are capable of doing something like that. That was greater magic than any of us can tap into.”

I frowned. “Then who? God?”

Demetrius shrugged. “Could be. Maybe to set things right?” He suggested. “Perhaps as a wedding present. I don’t know. We can’t undo injuries or illness or I would have cured Alex already.”

“But you’ve seen Seth now?” I grinned.

He nodded. “Yep. Not a bad looking guy. He could tempt me!” Then he grinned at me. “But you always saw him as he was. Even with the scars.”

I nodded. “Thanks to what you told me.”

Demetrius gave a shrugging nod. “Perhaps, but I think you’d have seen him on your own. You two were meant for each other.”

“Is there any word about Samuel?” Christian asked. “Have you located him?”

Demetrius shook his head. “And that’s so peculiar. To disappear is understandable, but he has really vanished.” He shrugged. “Normally, I can pick up something.”

Fear hit me. “Could he be dead?”

“That would be something. I’ve got nothing.” Demetrius said irritated. “I mean he doesn’t exist! Which we all know is impossible!” He threw his hands up. “It’s like…” his eyes darted to me. “Someone doesn’t want me to find him.”

“What!?” I exclaimed.

“Who?” Christian asked just as I asked. “Why?”

Demetrius closed his eyes in frustration. Then he pointed at Christian. “I don’t know and…” then pointed at me. “I’m not sure.” He shrugged. “If I didn’t know better…and I don’t always…I’d say the Big Guy…” he pointed up at the sky. “…thinks you haven’t finished something yet. At least that’s what I feel.”

I frowned. “You mean God!?” I threw my hands up as Demetrius had. “Couldn’t He tell me that!?” I waved at a shrubby. “A burning bush would have been scary, but what else is there? He could tell me!”

“Well, if I knew that, you could just go do it and be done already,” Demetrius said like it was perfectly logical. “I told you…there are things you have to do yourselves.”

Christian nodded. “Well, that’s just great.” He muttered. “I’m leaving! How am I going to find out?”

Demetrius smirked. “It’s not always about you, buddy.”

Christian’s right eye squinted. “Look, whatever you are…we’ve done everything we were supposed to….”

Demetrius wasn’t backing down. “Hold on, here. You would have married your brother off anyway. Erik just asked me to help him marry the right one. Just as my wife helped you marry the right one.” Demetrius said. “Anyone he chose would be ruling now. I helped you…only there was a huge situation when he married Seth. But I helped you….” he looked at me. I saw Seth walk up. “Didn’t I?”

“Hi, Demetrius.” Seth greeted.

“I found you your Cinderella, didn’t I, Seth?” Demetrius asked Seth.

Seth froze a moment. “You found Cinderella for me? Isn’t that Christian’s…”

Demetrius pointed at me. “I’m talking about him!” Then Demetrius rolled his eyes. “Don't be so literal. He’s your Cinderella and you’re his! Don’t you see that?”

“Guys!” I held my hands up. This could go on for a while if we didn’t get back on track. “And you have no idea what I’ve got to do?” I asked Demetrius.

“You know what that is!” Demetrius stated irritated. “I took you to that horrid king in the North! He told you who was responsible. Get busy!” He was about to leave. “And Christian, if you want to find out how it ends. Stay!”

“But I have a kingdom without a king right now!” Christian said in exasperation.

“Then go!” And Demetrius vanished. “But we all know it will be resolved whether you’re here or not!”

Seth’s eyes widened as he saw something he’d seen once. And still didn’t quite believe it. “You have an odd godfather. Whatever he is.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that. “He grows on you.”

“So, what’s with this whole….Cinderella thing? Isn’t that about Christian and Ella?” Seth asked. “But he said you were my….what?” He tried to figure it out.

“Cinderella had help from her Fairy Godmother to get Christian. I used my Fairy Godfather to get you. Only I got you. So…we’re both Cinderellas.” I explained with a smile.

His brows drew together more. “I got that.” Then he smiled at me as he embraced me. No longer worried about who would see or care if they did. “I’ll be your Cinderella. But, I’m a guy. Let’s call each other Cinderfellas.”

Christian chuckled shaking his head. “Ella’s going love this!”

I cringed. “Let’s just stick with Seth and Erik. Okay?” I sighed. “But I have a task in front of me.”

Seth frowned. “Task? What task?”

“I need to deal with Arthur Thorne and find this Lukus Caine,” I said hesitantly.

“Why?” Seth was now very worried.

“Because if I don’t we may never find Samuel.”

“He’s gotta be somewhere,” Seth said urgently. “Can’t Demetrius help?”

“He has.” I brought him to one of the chairs his father and Christian had used to sit outside. “But he says he can’t. Normally he could, but for some reason, Samuel has simply vanished.”

“Is he dead?” Seth asked uneasily.

“That’s just it,” Christian added. “Demetrius can’t sense him either way. He says someone is blocking his ability to locate Samuel.”

“Someone? Who?” Seth asked.

I shrugged. “Perhaps the same someone that took you scars away. Demetrius and those like him can’t do that. Greater power is involved.”

“A greater power…” Seth nodded. “Are we talking about God?”

I shrugged. “He couldn’t say.”

Seth nodded. “Of course not.” He sighed, then looked at me. “What are your plans?”

“I need to speak to Arthur Thorne. Ask him about this Lukus Caine again. Maybe talk to Darius and/or Deena.” I shrugged. “A search of their home might shed light, but I don’t know where to look. Having never been there, I wouldn’t know where to start.”

“I could send some men to do that. You don’t have to do it.” Seth suggested.

“To look where I don’t even know, for what I’m not certain about.” I nodded, then shook my head. “We need to do this by law. Can a premise be searched?”

Seth shrugged. “I suppose I could just order one, but…” he frowned. “…a private home is just that. Private. There has to be a reason.”

“The reason is we have word that he was involved,” Christian argued sitting. “Isn’t that enough?”

“Told to Erik by a Creide king, using methods you want to be recorded?” Seth asked. “I don’t think so. Were there witnesses that can testify that’s what he said? He could be lying. No, it needs to be recorded why.”

I smiled at Seth. “And you were worried about being king?”

“And I still am!” Seth nodded. “I don’t want to make mistakes.”

Christian reached over touching Seth’s arm. “You’re not perfect. No one is. Mistakes will happen, but this is so important. If you don’t address this, it will happen again. Know that.”

“Then I should go with you,” Seth said looking at me. “I was raised there. I do know some places to look for….whatever.”

“Are you sure you want to?” I asked.

“No.” Seth shook his head. “I’m sure I don’t, but if this will help find Samuel, I’ll do it gladly.”

 

The next morning, Christian, Ella, and their children got ready for the long trip back to A’Dore. Ella was crying as we said our farewells. I assured the children I’d see them again. But my brother was letting tears fall without brushing them away. The pain I felt was making tears for both of us.

“I watched you grow from a baby to a good-humored, mischievous boy and a young man,” Christian said tearfully. “Now you are a man. A very good and wise man. Father, Mother and I are so proud of you.” He hugged me tighter than he’d ever hugged me before. “I am going to miss you. You and Ella were my council back in A’Dore.” He let me go a little. “Now you’re council will be to a good man that is a king. Be that council.” He smiled. “I will admit, when you told me you wanted to marry a man, I couldn’t understand how or why. I see it now. You’re good for each other. And the love is more than apparent. Be good to each other.”

I was hugging Christian again, the ache of our parting was so strong, it really hurt! “I love you, Christian. You’re my brother, but you’ve always been my best friend.” I said softly, wiping my face. “Thanks for a good life.”

Christian nodded. “You’re my best friend. I’ll see you again. Don’t doubt that. And we’ll write and keep in touch. I love you so much.” He hugged me again, then stepped back. “I’ll see you.” Our hands parted only when the distance got too much. Then he grabbed Seth. “Take care of my brother, brother.”

Seth nodded. “I swear it.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/07/2016 06:07 PM, droughtquake said:

And on to the next problem…

I couldn't wait. It's in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This is only my second time reading this story, but I feel there will be many more. You are truy a creative author and a great technician. It is such a pleasure for an old ogre like me to read a story where I am not frustrated several times in each chapter by errors in English. Your story, however, is a real pleasure, I have been tempted to nip at your toes very infrequently.

Mister Will (the old ogre)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..