Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,443 Words
  • 5,245 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 14. Chapter 14 Resolution

“One thing?” I asked, but sort of knew what he was going to say.

Seth nodded and took my hand. “In our room.” He looked back. “Don’t go far, Dad.”

Alex grinned at his son and nodded. He knew, too. Calling him Dad made him very happy.

Once in our room, Seth closed the door and leaned against it. “What I’m going to tell you…” he was now shaking. “…could end us…as a couple.” Tears started forming in his eyes. “I’m giving the crown to Samuel.” Then he hurried on. “I’m not a king! I’ve thought about it since Samuel came back. I said it right after you chose me, I don’t want to be king. He’ll be better than I would ever be.” He starting pacing. “I don’t have the schooling…I know what you said, kindness, mercy, and compassion. That wisdom was not learned…but really? Me? I always worried I’ll say the wrong thing. Someone will attack us. I dread it when they come to me with a decision to make.” He waved at me. “I was happy in the vineyards. I like working with the grapes. It gives me peace….all I feel now is pressure!”

I grabbed him, kissing him gently, deeply, with as much passion as I could put in a kiss. “Stop.” I knew he had low confidence. He was physically a strong man. However, the damage done had left scars not on his body, that was fixed, but on his very soul. But he thought I’d leave him? “Aw Seth, I took vows to you. Seth. I didn’t take vows to a future king, though you were. I don’t care if you’re king or not. I didn’t take vows to the future king of Blethos. But to you. I love you, Seth.” I kissed him again, lighter this time. “I could never leave you. You and I are married. Yes, we were allowed to marry so you could become king. You were! You helped make things right. I came here to choose someone to rule, I did my job, you do rule. If you give the crown to Samuel, I’m thrilled!”

Seth's eyes grew as he stood back, understanding, but not sure. “Why?”

“I’ve lived with kings all my life, as his son and then his brother.” I shook my head. “Believe me, if you step down from the throne, I’ll be so happy not to make nice with people I can barely stand, some I really don’t like at all because they have something we want or need.” I chuckled. “But I will expect you home every night.”

Seth smiled and his breathing eased as he caught his breath as the tears stopped coming. “I know it doesn’t make sense, why I feel this way, but I was just scared…I know you love me, but…I don’t know, you could have said no and gone back to A’Dore. You have a lifestyle that you’ve grown up in…” He hugged me tightly, and I now knew why Samuel had asked to get air.

“Easy, baby.” I smiled at him. “All that hard work really made you strong physically. Not that I’m complaining.”

Seth eased up his hold with a chuckle. “Sorry, so, you won’t leave me if I step down as king?”

“Never,” I assured. “And…we…are…married.” I tapped each word on his chest as I said to him. “Until one of us divorces the other, we will be. I don’t want to so…till death do us part, remember?”

Seth chuckled nodding. “I do. It’s a little fuzzy, but I recall something along those lines.” Then he smiled at me. “Do we tell Dad and Samuel?”

“Later.” I grinned as I pulled him back toward the bed. “But one thing before you step down.”

“What thing?” Seth asked unsure.

“When you’re no longer king. You and I go on a honeymoon. No business, kingdom wise or otherwise. Okay?”

Seth grinned even bigger and nodding. “I think that’s a great idea, but where can we go?”

“I know a beautiful fishing village, named Seaside Vista, on the coast of A’Dore. It always warm, even in Winter. We can stay on the beach, walk the surf. We go, spend a week or two there and then visit Christian and Ella.” I smiled as he was smiling even bigger if that were possible.

“We don’t have to pretend anything there. Ella and Christian were at the wedding, your brother was one of the people that did half the ceremony.” Seth leaned in kissing me again. “All of A’Dore knows we’re married. Blethos, too, but I’d love to see A’Dore.”

“Alright, husband. Enough talk.” I began unbuttoning his shirt.

“The boots?” Seth reminded.

“One day, they’ll have a pair that can be slipped on and off, dammit.”

Seth laughed as he tugged on his boot and I undid the laces.

 

For the rest of the day and into the night, Seth and I made love, kissed and just enjoyed being together. Taking our time.

“I really hate that house.” Seth suddenly griped softly as he lounged on my chest. “I’ll have it redone, but I’d almost prefer to put a torch to the whole damned thing.” He closed his eyes. “I have such bad memories with the place. Almost every day I was humiliated by one or all three. That’s why I prefer the winery to sleep in. The days I never saw them were tolerable.”

My heart ached for the pain he went through. Feeling he had nowhere to go because of the ”curse” he thought he had. “You’re forgetting one key thing, baby.” I chuckled, running my fingers in his dark hair.

“Oh?” Seth looked up at me.

“I have a fairy godfather. Remember?” I smiled.

“But how could he change all that?” Seth asked. “Wasn’t the magic Ella was over at midnight?”

“Well, we can ask,” I asked. “His wife turned a pumpkin into a carriage, mice into horses…I remember what she turned the footman or driver from lizards, but a house will be easy.”

“Don’t be volunteering my services so quickly.” Demetrius’ voice groused from the dim candlelit room.

I was not alarmed, but Seth was pulling the covers up, even though nothing was showing.

“Well, what good is having a fairy godfather?” I asked in an equally groused voice. “You can access the magic, so why not? Doesn’t it have to expire? Or does God, or as you say, The Big Guy,” I pointed up. “…object?”

“How long has he been here?” Seth whispered to me.

I shrugged. “I told him, no, about coming in when we’re being intimate, so not long.”

“He doesn’t care about that.” Demetrius dismissed, suddenly was just there again. “And don’t worry, Seth. I’ve seen it all already.”

Seth sat up more indignant. “You’ve seen me!? What about Erik? You've seen? How?”

“No.” He said to Seth. “And yes. Could we stick to one question at a time, please?”

“So, you will help us do the house again?” I asked.

“I get involved with a human, then there are expectations,” Demetrius grumbled sounding like he was so put upon. “Then I’m message delivery man and now a decorator/architect. Fine.” He grinned at me. “Only because you’re my one of favorite humans.” Then he patted Seth’s sheet-covered leg. “And you.”

“In fact…” another voice, one I knew was Lukus and then he appeared walking out of the darkness. “I’ll help.”

“Two men decorating a house!?” Another voice, only female and a woman appeared. She looked more like a fairy I was told looked like wearing a dress of white and gold that sparkled and shimmered. She was in her late thirties and very pretty. Blonde. Yuck. “Never let two men do things, right? The house needs a woman’s touch.” She said, never mind that Seth was now very uncomfortable.

“Who the hell are you!?” Seth huddled further down.

“Oh, I'm sorry.” She waved him off, then stepped closer extending her hand to Seth. “I’m Dara, Ella’s fairy godmother.” She looked at Lukus and Demetrius. “I never liked that name…fairy godmother…until I helped Ella. I did a good job with her, don’t you think?” Which both Lukus and Demetrius nodded. “Now I like it.”

Seth shook her hand. “But you just barge in!”

“Well, yeah.” Dara nodded. “We do.”

“Any sudden appearance by us is considered barging in,” Lukus stated.

“We could ring a bell before we appear,” Demetrius suggested.

“But we’d have to pop the bell in before we ring it,” Lukus argued.

“Then they worry about where the bell came from and when it rings itself, they get all panicky.” Dara furthered the objection.

“Guys!!” I grinned shaking my head. These beings seemed to forget what humans consider common decency. Privacy almost seemed like something they didn’t quite get. “Can we get dressed? Maybe we’ll be more receptive when dressed?” I suggested.

The three looked at each other. “Sure.” “Of course.” “Not a problem.”

I chuckled and motioned to them, circling my finger. “Then turn around.” Then when they didn’t seem to know what I mean. “I mean, turn around the other way. Humans are modest.”

Dara nodded as she finally understood. “Oh…sure.” She turned, jabbing her husband who turned around. “You too, Lukus.” And he turned around as I got up.

Dressing quickly. I glanced at Seth who was pulling his shirt over his head.

“Okay.” I grinned at the three. “So, you know what’s going to happen?”

Demetrius nodded. “This was a plan of Lukus’, but yes. Once Arthur Thorne did what he chose to do. I sort of made things happen to make amends to poor King Alexander and his boys. It just seemed so….tragic.”

“And I’m giving you a special carriage.” Lukus grinned.

“A carriage!?” Dara objected. “That’s what I do!”

“I didn’t use a pumpkin, either.” Lukus ignored her. “I enhanced one of the old ones scheduled to be repaired. Only now it doesn’t.” He said brightly. “It’s big enough to sleep in, relax…” then his eyebrows danced up and down once. “…make love.”

I pointed out, "Well, okay. But you need to consider the people in Thorne Valley. There are hundreds of employees that work at the manor, either in the house, the vineyard or winery. If you radically change the house, won’t they be suspicious?”

Dara rolled her eyes. “Of course they will be. That’s why, when you to get back, we’ll change the house. And if asked, they will remember that a team of men worked long on the house. Even if there weren’t.”

Seth walked closer. “You can do that? To the whole town?”

Demetrius laughed. “Certainly, perceptions are easy.”

Lukus nodded. “When they see the house has changed, they’re minds will try to figure out how it happened and grasp for the explanation.”

“And when one is given.” Dara continued. “Ours will be accepted. It will be the only one that makes sense to them. And they’ll believe it.”

“And with all three of us pulling the magic on the same thing,” Lukus explained further. “It will stick.”

“My putting the limitation of midnight only added to the anticipation.” Dara smiled. “Humans love that. It motivates them.”

Lukus put his hand on my arm. “In the morning, just call me. There are some special things about the carriage I should explain.”

I nodded. “I will. Thanks, guys.”

Seth held up his hand. “And guys…” They all looked at him. “About the bell thing…” he smiled. “Since I already know about the magic and all. Do…” he waved. “…whatever you do get the bell here. Have it ring before just appearing? Please?”

 

The next morning Seth and I went to the carriage house. True to his word, a new carriage was sitting in the middle of the vast space. I was about three meters in length. Shaped round like a log, with windows on the sides but completely contained. Looking in, we saw a little living area and a comfortable bed toward the head. Lots of storage available. And a stove! It was a small stove made of red metal and shiny brass or something. The whole stove was shiny and clean. A box in front held some black rocks, but they weren’t coal. I think.

“Lukus.” I called softly.

“Did I do okay?” Lukus asked, looking to see if we liked it.

“It looks very comfortable.” I nodded.

“Well, A’Dore is not a few miles.” Lukus reasoned. “It could take you two or three weeks to get there, depending on how fast you travel.” He pointed. “There’s plenty of room for storage. Clothes, some tools, food.” He opened a long seat we could use to sit on when eating in the carriage. “Room for things like bow and arrows, swords…” he smiled. “But you don’t need swords for this trip. I enchanted the carriage. No one, even the greediest thief will want a thing from you when you travel with this.” He grinned with a bounce. “Perceptions, remember?” Then he patted the stove. “And this…it is getting colder out now as winter is coming. This will keep you warm together.” He motioned to the thick quilted bed. “That will do the trick, but this will really heat the carriage.” He pointed at the rocks. “Now these aren’t coal.” Then he shrugged a nod. “Well, they are…but they will burn a week!”

Seth’s eyes grew. “A week!? That’s not possible!”

Lukus frowned. “Really? You’re saying that to me.” He shook his head. “After all you’ve seen us do.”

I nodded, taking Seth’s arm and putting a hand on Lukus’ shoulder. “He’ll come to understand. But if it burns for a week, what do we do? We light it and it stays lit?”

“Oh.” Lukus understood the question. “No. Just tap the stove and say out stove. And it will go out.” He stomped on the floor. “And it’s not that heavy, not really. Two horses can pull it, no problem. But it will stay upright in the windiest storm.” Then he grinned. “Now, I have to run. Any questions?”

I looked at Seth and we both shook our heads. Lukus nodded and vanished. “Thanks.” I said to the air.

“You’re welcome.” Lukus’ voice came faintly.

 

That evening Seth asked the whole family to be at dinner, which they normally were, but he asked that they be sure to be there. As they gathered for the meal. I was asked by Terry why, but I just told her to wait. Seth took his place at the head of the table as king. Samuel sat on his left as his second in line. I was on his right as king consort or where the queen would sit. Alex to the right of me as he was king, but not any longer. Terry on Samuel’s left as his wife. That’s just how it was, don’t ask me who made up these rules.

“The reason I asked you all to be here tonight...” Seth began, then got up from his place. “Samuel, if you would. This chair belongs to you.”

Samuel looked puzzled. “But you’re king. That’s your place.”

Seth nodded. “A place I’m giving to you. On Friday night, I’m giving the crown to you. You will be the king of Blethos.”

Alex just smiled. As I said, he knew.

Samuel shook his head. “No! You can’t. You’re king.”

“Samuel,” Seth said softly, begging his brother to understand. “I took the job because it was needed. At a time following some horrible events, this throne was taken from you and me. By virtue of Erik’s choice, I got it back. If by the simple reason that I was chosen, I became king. As king, I can choose my successor. I choose you.”

“Why?” Samuel looked uncertain. He wasn’t saying no, but he had to understand. “You’ve been a great king.”

Seth nodded, his voice only shaking a little. “Please understand. What happened to me…I can’t help it….I’m so scared most of the time. Even though I know it’s not true, I can’t shake the thought that I’m not good enough. I would be a bad king if I bowed to the threat of someone because of how I was made to think about myself. What the Thornes did, I will get over, but it will take time.” He grinned at me. “With the help from someone who truly loves me.” Then he turned again to Samuel. “And that’s another thing. You, Terry and Dad, accepted that I married for love and that I do love Erik. But really…those that come before the throne, for guidance or help with foreign matters will feel better dealing with a king that’s not married to a man. Even if it was just political.” He went to where Samuel had been sitting and pulled his chair out. “So, take your seat.” He turned to Terry who was looking more stunned than she had when she found out she was a princess. “And Terry, move to his right side. Your place as Queen.”

Terry shook her head. “Queen!?” She looked like she was about to faint. “Me? Sam is going to be king?”

Seth chuckled nodding. “Yes to both questions.”

Terry came slowly to where I was now standing as I pulled her chair out for her.

“My lady.” I bowed to her as she sat. “My queen.” I smiled as she still wasn’t believing it.

Terry shook her head as she rested it on her hands. “This has been a crazy few weeks!” She waved at her husband. “He was making furniture, I was a seamstress. Now he’s king and I’m queen!?”

I chuckled. “That’s right.”

“Son.” Alex smiled at Seth. “That was the action of a man who is truly a king. Thinking of the people first.”

Seth sat at Samuel’s left as I sat by Seth’s left. Seth seemed to relax so much more. “And…I want to run what is now the Royal Vineyard.” He nodded. “In fact, I want the town’s name changed. Instead of Thorne Valley, it should be called The Royal Valley.”

Samuel was still letting the reality sink in his mind. He looked at Seth, blinked…then comprehended what his brother said. “What? The Royal Vineyard. Right. Sure.” He nodded. “It’s ours now. Someone has to run it. You’ve done it for nearly two decades. Sure, take it. The name change. Do it.”

I smiled at Seth. “And if you come by, which I hope you can…you’re always welcome…we’re having the house torn down and a new one built.” I took Seth’s hand. “There are too many bad memories for Seth with the old one. So, don’t be surprised to see a new one, Sam.”

Samuel nodded. “Absolutely. Take all the royal construction crews. Do what you need to.”

Seth bumped his forehead against mine gently. “Actually, Sam. We have some friends taking care of that, but thanks.”

“And after the crowning of the new King and Queen. Seth and I are leaving for a few weeks, perhaps a couple or three months to spend time together. We never had a honeymoon.”

Alex laughed. “You never had the chance. You meet on Friday, the next day you chose Seth, that next Tuesday you turned eighteen, then that next Saturday you two were married.” He nodded. “You should spend time together. Alone.”

“Well, we do move fast...the men in our family.” Samuel chuckled. “I told Terry day one we were getting married.”

“And for the next year, he wouldn’t let it go until he convinced me to do it.” Terry smiled taking Samuel’s hand. She shook her head. “But a week or two is a little faster than most.”

“But we’ll be back,” I assured. “I want to visit Christian and Ella, too.”

Now Seth let out a breath. Like huge weights were now off him. “Thank you all for understanding.” Then he looked at each of them. “And your support.”

Blethos itself was breathing a sigh of relief when word that Seth was giving the crown to his brother. Even though almost everyone in Blethos knew about Seth and me, it was better that Samuel and Terry were now King and Queen. Until all of mankind saw love as love, this was the best move. The ceremony was attended by all the representatives of every township in Blethos. As Seth put the crown on his brother and sister’s heads. Again, there was a great celebration.

“So, what’s next, Cinderfella?” Seth asked me taking my hand.

I shrugged. “I don’t know….live happily ever after?” I grinned as we kissed.

The fairy tale is done. Read on if you want to go with them on the honeymoon. At least until my muse hits me with something else.
Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A nice ending for your Fairytale.

 

I guess it makes sense for Seth to abdicate in favor of his brother since he's still so insecure.

 

If that was you polling us, I vote for a honeymoon sequel!

Link to comment

The honeymoon sequel has my vote, too. What a lovely story and play on the whole fairy godparents thing...I loved it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I have enjoyed this story and all of your stories. I hope you soon finish the two stories still listed as "In Process" AND do a Cinderfella honeymoon sequel!

 

Have a great month!
From Paul

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 11/11/2016 08:00 PM, ReaderPaul said:

I have enjoyed this story and all of your stories. I hope you soon finish the two stories still listed as "In Process" AND do a Cinderfella honeymoon sequel!

 

Have a great month!

From Paul

Honeymoon part 1, done.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Given what Seth/Phillip went through, abdicating was really the only option, once Samuel was found.

Good conclusion and several moral object lessons for the fairy tale!

Bravo!

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

Given what Seth/Phillip went through, abdicating was really the only option, once Samuel was found.

Good conclusion and several moral object lessons for the fairy tale!

Bravo!

You're not done! There's more!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..