Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,716 Words
  • 5,932 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 6. Chapter 6 Is He or Isn't He?

I raced back in the palace at full speed, heading for the library and archives without stopping! Christian was fast, but he couldn’t keep up with me. Our motivations were different.

“Slow down, Erik!”

“I can’t!” I shouted back, my voice echoing through the space as I ran in the vast library and went to where archives were stored and pulled a few of the books I knew the information was in down on a table. “I think…” I said looking through pages quickly that I’d read before to find what I was trying to remember I’d seen. “….I think I may have found King Alexander’s sons.”

Christian was breathing a little harder than usual, but his eyes grew when I said that. “What!?”

I was nearly breathless myself, only my breathlessness was due to excitement. “I met a man, he goes by Seth now from the House of Thorne.” I turned, my adrenaline pumping bringing my excitement even higher. “Seth has a birth mark.” I looked down at the book again, flipping pages quickly then found what I needed. “There!” In this section was the date and time of King Alexander’s son’s birth, his weight and size. Then there was recorded distinguishing marks. There was even a drawing of the birth mark and its location on the baby. “I’m telling you, that’s the same birth mark I saw!” I shook my head. “My problem is his says his mother was Sir Arthur Thorne’s second wife! Who was she? How’d she get the children?” I asked. Then I got another of the books and flipped again. “According to this. King Alexander’s wife’s body was found in the wreckage. The sons were not. It was assumed due to the accelerant liquid, the two boys’ bodies were incinerated due to the intense heat.” Christian nodded as he listened. “And Seth has scars from having been burned as a child! Is it coincidence? Our father taught us…”

“Too much coincidence is too many.” Christian nodded quoting with me.

Christian sat in the chair near the table in dumbfounded shock. “Oh, my God.” His mind working as fast as mine. “Eric, you have got to be sure. Before you tell anyone. Much less King Alexander. Is there any way these things could be faked?”

I shrugged. “I can’t see how.” I paced to the wall of books again as I thought. “A birth mark can not be…added. Not successfully. But I need to understand the laws about ascending to the throne by marriage to me. I want this absolutely clear. Either Seth is….” I read the book’s page about the birth that was almost certainly his. “…Prince Phillip, King Alexander’s son, or I make him king by marriage. Either way, it will be clear and unbreakable.”

“Why?”

“Because someone will assume that it is faked otherwise.” I explained. “He is from the House of Thorne according to both Darius and Deena, his supposed brother and sister. I need to know if that status has to be by birth. Is he a Thorne? Or it is not a set thing like it is in A’Dore where a mother or father does not have to be the birth parent?” Then I thought of Demetrius. “Demetrius!” I called to the air making Christian look at me as if I might have lost my mind. “Don’t give me any crap about being hidden, Demetrius. You said you’d be here. I need to talk to you!”

“Okay, okay.” His voice came and again he walked out of a solid bookcase causing Christian’s eyes to widen at what he’d seen. “No need to shout.”

“Is Seth really King Alexander’s son?” I asked Demetrius. Then remembered my manners. “Sorry…Demetrius, Christian. Christian, my fairy godfather Demetrius.” I motioned between them.

Demetrius stuck his hand out to Christian who took it warily not sure if he was believing his own eyes. “It’s nice to meet you, Christian.” Then he looked at me. “It’s okay for me to call him by his name, right? Humans can be so…”

“Who cares!?” I interrupted. “Answer the question!” I shouted impatiently.

Demetrius frowned. “I can’t.” Then he stopped both mine and Christian’s attempts we were going to put before the attempts were started. “Let me explain. I can’t make anything happen like this happen. You have to discover the truth. Just like Ella’s godmother couldn’t make you, Christian, and Ella fall in love. You had to do that yourselves.” He sighed. “We aren’t told what will happen, just what needs to happen so it can be encouraged to happen. We just help you get there. I will tell you this.” He smiled. “Seth will be king. But you know that already. Why, I can’t say.”

Christian frowned. “What kind of slipshod operation…”

“Hey! It worked well for you, didn’t it?” Demetrius countered testily.

“Fine.” I opened the book on the laws of Blethos. “Can you cause something to happen that needs to happen?”

“Like?” Demetrius asked.

I shrugged. “Is there someone alive other than King Alexander that knows the birth mark and would understand what it means? What about getting Seth’s brother and wife here?” I asked. “He’s King Alexander’s son, too….maybe.”

Demetrius gave a shrugging nod. “Well, I can present them with the opportunity to come here. Whether they take it or not is their choice.”

“Good enough. If Arthur Thorne is not coming to ball, can you encourage him to do that?”

“I’ll see.” Demetrius nodded.

I smiled at both Demetrius and Christian. “Now if you want to help me read, fine, I’ve got a lot of reading to do. I need to be familiar with Blethos’ law in a short time.”

Christian nodded. “I’ll help until you tell me to scram.” He grinned at me sitting taking a book. “So, he’s scarred? How badly?”

I grinned up Demetrius. “Well, I saw him without using my eyes.” Demetrius’ smile told me he was glad I listened. “He’s gorgeous to me.” I darted my eyes to Christian. “In fact, he’s better looking to me than you are.”

Christian’s eyes glistened with amusement. “Then he’s a handsome man.” He grinned. “I can’t wait to meet him.”

I nodded. “You will.”

 

I spent most all evening poring over the books on Blethos’ laws. The fortunate things were all of Blethos’ crucial information was stored here in this library, it had to be. The language for Blethos and A’Dore were the same as we had been trading with each other for over a thousand years. So, naturally the language and customs for both our kingdoms were pretty much the same, but I needed to be sure about this. It was way too important for both kingdoms to be mistaken. Christian didn’t quit, but I sent him away to eat dinner when I heard his stomach growl. I wasn’t hungry. But he came in with a tray for me, not an hour later.

“I don’t want you getting sick,” Christian said softly putting his hand on my shoulder.

I grinned up at him. “I’ll be fine,” I assured. “I think I have a plan.” I sat back with a sigh. “Those applicants who are being considered are doing so because of birth. But there is nothing in the books that says they must be.” I explained as Christian sat down. “In fact, I have a few cases, one in particular, where a nobleman died without heirs. He had a ward and that ward used the fact that this nobleman said, publicly that this ward was of his House. The ward then inherited the nobleman’s property and title.” I grinned. “So, what better place than at the ball? Arthur Thorne will be asked to identify members of his family because I will tell him I have chosen from his House. He will do it before all attending, including King Alexander.” Then I smiled at Christian. “You didn’t recognize me early today, did you?”

Christian chuckled shaking his head. “No, I didn’t. Demetrius was right. You were right. You spoke directly me and I had no idea who you were.”

I smiled broader. “And that is why we are doing things this way,” I explained. “Darius and Deena have no idea who I am. They only saw the peasant that worked for you. So, when I tell them I’ve chosen from the House of Thorne, they won’t connect the battle with me.”

Christian sat up straighter, anger in his eyes. “Battle!? What battle?”

I waved the concern off. “Don’t worry about it. Darius needed to be put in his place. He was trying to put me in my place by challenging me to a sword fight.” My eyebrows waggled. “It didn’t take but a few minutes before he yielded.”

Christian nodded, but I saw the fury beneath his eyes smolder. “How dare he do that!?”

I chuckled. “He dared because he’s certain of his natural born entitlement, brother.”

“Ridiculous.” Christian spat.

I nodded. “True. We were both well trained at fighting with a sword, Christian. Darius didn’t stand a chance.” Then I closed the book I was studying. “I think the plan we had should go forward. The five decoys out and mingling. But I will make the choice public early. I guarantee this…this will be a night no one in Blethos will forget.”

Christian nodded. “I know they won’t.”

“After that is done, I’ll ask King Alexander the questions I need to…delicately. If Seth is truly Prince Phillip. He needs to know.”

“Of course he does.” Christian rose. “Well, I’ll leave you to it.” He was about to leave, but turned and hugged me. “You’re a good man. I am so proud of you.”

Christian was my brother, yes, but he was my dearest friend. Those words touched me deeply. Consider what he knew of me many people would hate to know or not kill over. That he was proud of me meant more than any words spoken to me. I hugged him back.

He let me go and rose again. “Get to bed early. It’ll be a long day tomorrow.” He again stopped. “So, this Seth…he’s the one?”

I shrugged. “He makes me tingle.” I grinned as I watched Christian blush again, but not as bad as before. “People talk about magic and connections with that special someone. The story about you and Ella, Cinderella and Prince Charming, leaves out that even after you met at the ball, there were six months before the wedding. You had time to let the love grow. Seth and I will have that, too, though ours will be only a few weeks. But he was the one that kissed me first.”

Christian’s smile grew. “He did? How was it?”

I chuckled. “Amazing.”

Christian sighed remembering Ella. “It was the first time I kissed Ella.” He walked toward the door. “And it hasn’t ended yet.” And he left the library.

I stayed up to be sure I knew what I was going to do but retired early enough. It had been a long day this day and the next day was going to be as tiring. I made myself stay in bed longer than I would normally. But I finally got up and got something to eat.

I spoke with the guards assigned to us and that had accompanied us to Blethos. I also made sure the guards I had assigned to watch Seth did not reveal more than they were watching the Thornes. They had told them they were sent by King Christian and me, giving them the impression that they were perhaps the ones preferred to ascend to the throne due to their family history and reputation. They were indeed a wealthy family owning a vineyard as well as lands.

I chose the five that I was having to be decoys and told them not to volunteer too much information about themselves or me, but listen to what was and wasn’t to be said. Then dressed in finery fitting a prince, I gave them the masks, instructing them not to take them off once after they put them on.

The palace was a mixture of noises as everyone was wanting this ball to be nothing short of spectacular hurried with their tasks. The kitchen had smells coming from it that were indeed mouthwatering. Staff rushed to prepare the ballroom setting out silverware, china, and crystal. The many chandeliers were stocked and replacement candles ready. It was later in the afternoon when carriages began to arrive. Admittedly I was looking for one carriage and passenger in particular. All were getting out of their carriages as candles were lit and the palace was soon glowing with light. Reflectors on the chandeliers and on the walls increase the light even more. The drone of many conversations came up to the room I had been living in for the past few days and I watched men and women dressed in the finest clothes they may have had. Probably all brand new, never worn, an investment by them on a future they hoped would be theirs. Then I spotted them. The Thornes. What was odd was there were five at this party. Darius and Deena were there, dressed immaculately and walking with an assurance they seemed to think they knew what was going to be the outcome. There was an older man, approaching sixty was my guess and a typical nobleman. A little heavier than he might have been in youth, hair having lost most of its grip from the top of his head and a beard. I prayed that was Arthur Thorne. A woman with him was about thirty years younger than the older man. A third wife? Could be fourth or fifth for all I knew. May not even have been a wife! And following behind, again with a lowered head was Seth. He was dressed a little more formally, but still wore a mask, only now it was black leather. Long sleeves again. But seeing him made my heart pound a little faster, a bit harder. Yep, there was the tingle again. The good Lord knew how much I wanted to rush down and touch him, talk to him and just reassure him I hadn’t changed my mind. Also, he needed to know who I really was. I was not just a peasant. I had told him he was applying to be king, but not on what authority did I said that? It was only with the strength given by the very Lord that kept me in place from my vantage point above the ballroom.

Musicians were in place and warming up as sweet music began filling the drone of conversations gaps.

The guards assigned to them walked behind appropriate distance followed them.

“Hear ye, hear ye! Presenting…” and so it began. Introductions of applicants by family and name announced to all in the ballroom, which was lower than the entrance more for effect than structural. But I listened as the Thornes reached the top of the stairs. “Sir Arthur Thorne, his son Darius Thorne, Daughter Deena Thorne, son Seth Thorne and Lady Gertrude Radcliff of Thorne Valley.” I smiled hearing this. Seth’s father, or the one he knew as his father was here. So far, so good. Christian walked over, dressed impressively in his royal uniform, the crown on his head.

“Is that Seth? The one in the mask?”

I smiled looking at Seth. “He is.” I shrugged. “There is too much distance right now, but I don’t really see the mask anymore. It’s just…him.” I smiled. “But I assure you, he is king.”

Christian smiled. “And your future mate.”

I shrugged. “I have to admit, I hope so.”

“And now…” the announcer said loudly. “Presenting, His Most Royal Majesty, King Alexander of Blethos!” The music changed to a grand song as King Alexander came from behind his throne and stood as everyone in the ballroom bowed. “Also, his royal guest, King Christian of A’Dore!”

“Here we go.” Christian smiled and descended the other staircase toward the front of the ballroom near the throne. Again all bowed again.

“Welcome, King Christian.” King Alexander greeted as Christian got close to him. “Perhaps you should explain what’s about to happen.”

Christian bowed slightly, then turned to the crowd. “This is a very important day for Blethos and A’Dore alike. An important day in which a decision has been given to us to appoint a king for your people. My brother, who is here, wishes to remain….anonymous.” This statement was met with a murmur among the crowd. “Before you…” Christian said as the five decoys came out with their masks on. “…are five chosen. None of them will tell you the true identity of my brother Prince Erik. Treat them as Prince Erik equally. A decision will be made shortly. Enjoy your time, but remember, this will affect all here, and both our kingdoms.” And the music began again in dance as my decoys walked down to greet the members of the crowd. I noticed that the Thornes gave each other a look to say the decision was already done. One of them, either the brother or sister was going to be given the crown. So they thought. I swear Arthur Thorne was too pleased with how this was playing out. He was going to be the father of the next ruler of Blethos. This went on a couple of hours and I was nearly biting my nails to get things started. It was only with my father’s teaching and God’s will I remained where I was. Then I sent word to my brother by messenger. Christian sent someone to each of my decoys that simply bowed to whomever they were with and walked out. I waited for about fifteen minutes and sent word again to Christian, I was ready. Now my heart was really pounding.

“Ladies and gentlemen.” My brother announced. “My brother, Prince Erik of A’Dore…soon to be of Blethos.” He waved his arm back as I came down the very stairs he had come down. This time they were bowing, but looking to see if I were the one that they had spoken with. Other than my body size, it would be hard to tell and I picked guards closest to my body size and I looked as if I’d changed clothes. I did, however, notice that Seth’s eyes grew when he looked at me, and I would soon find out why.

“A decision has been made,” I said loudly. “Sir Arthur Thorne, step forward, please.”

Deena and her father glanced at each other as Arthur Thorne stepped forward proudly.

“Please, introduce me to the members for your family,” I commanded.

“First, is my son, Darius Thorne.” He introduced and I watched the man I’d fought with the day before step forward and bow. Still handsome, but his personality said he was an ugly man. “And my daughter, Deena Thorne.” The red-haired woman stepped forward and curtsied. Like her brother, to me, her appearance was marred by what I remembered. And then Arthur stopped. When I waited quietly, the pause was on purpose by me, he looked behind him as if to think about what he’d forgotten. “Oh, this is Seth….one of my other two other sons, but he and his other brother were not applying.”

“Why?” I asked.

Arthur was not ready for this. “What? He…just wasn’t. He’s cursed.”

Darius and Deena both cringed as their father said that.

“But he was introduced as your son,” I said walking down toward them. “In front of all here, including my brother and your king. Is that true?”

Arthur was very uncertain now. “Well, yes. His mother came to my estate with her two sons. She worked for me and I married her.”

I nodded. “But acknowledged by you as a member of your House. The choice has been made. I choose Seth.” I stopped before Seth who was looking more surprised and uncomfortable than I have ever seen a man.

“But he’s not a Thorne!” Darius challenged. “Father even said so!”

It was King Alexander who stood this time. “Your father said otherwise! Any member of a House acknowledged publicly by the head of that House is allowed to apply. And it was public. Is this your decision, Prince Erik?”

I nodded smiling a little at Seth who was still a bit terrified. “It is.”

Seth moved forward a little toward me. “What are you doing? David…or whatever…”

“You were told by….” I replied quietly so only he could hear, then I stopped. “Did you call me David?”

Seth nodded. “Of course! That was what you said your name was when we met.”

“And you see me now as I was yesterday?” I asked again only loud enough for him to hear. “I look the same?”

Seth nodded. “How else would I see you? I kissed you.”

That I was not ready for. He knew me as I was, even with the ring off! I turned to Darius. “You have never seen me?”

Darius shook his head.

“And you,” I said to Deena who also shook her head.

“So, the man you fought yesterday?” I asked Darius.

Darius was looking around, he was feeling pressured. “I don’t see him.”

I laughed to myself. “Demetrius, you son of a…” Then turned to Seth. “I would like to marry you, Seth. You are my choice to be the next king.” I reached out and took his gloved hand. Then louder I said to all. “This man has qualities needed to be king. He is fair, compassionate, kind…and capable of mercy. Many of you were observed as your true selves. Petty, greedy and thinking only of what this throne would bring you.” I led Seth toward the throne. “I heard many of you wonder about the clothes you could get. The ladies you would conquer.” I spotted one of the first women I had overheard. “Or even wanting to have an affair with my brother because you would be married to me.” The woman that said it held a look of surprise on her face, then her eyes refused to meet mine. “But this man will be your new king.” I looked at Seth. “And my husband.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 53
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/01/2016 04:41 PM, droughtquake said:

What a nice surprise that Seth recognized Eric with or without disguise!

And yet, there will be still another unexpected twist! Tonight, another twist comes out. My problem always is, I can only write so fast. I saw something else to happen.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I'm loving this story! Very creative, and the characters are endearing.
Thanks for sharing this :)
Z

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/02/2016 01:50 AM, Zenith said:

I'm loving this story! Very creative, and the characters are endearing.

Thanks for sharing this :)

Z

But wait! You think you can guess hoe this is going to work out? You could not be more wrong! This story could end, but it has a startling twists no one could guess. Not even me until it came to me and saw it. I was surprised! Is that psychotic? Maybe. Now to tell you what I saw. Wish me luck. Remember, I can write only so fast. Be patient.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Eric, always enjoy your style of writing, definitely Seth recognized Eric snce he saw him with the eyes of his heart!
Please don't make us wait too long
Definitely Seth has to be revealed as the son of King Alexander please

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..