Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,993 Words
  • 5,401 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 12. Chapter 12 There Be Thornes

Seth and I took the road to Thorne Valley. It was about a hundred miles away, but easy to do with a stop overnight. We took with us about five of the palace guards. Having manpower just seemed prudent. When we got to where the home was, I was impressed. The manor house, though not a castle, was pretty big. The land around it had their grapes planted in vast numbers. And there was a town nearby, made up of those that worked the vineyards and home. And the town had shops, markets and places to eat or do…whatever they needed or wanted to do. It was sort of a small kingdom in itself. The manor house had the outbuildings, barn and a place for the grapes and making the wine they exported.

Seth took a shaky breath as he saw the property. I knew whatever he felt, I could never understand.

“You don’t have to come with me, Seth.” I said quietly.

“If I don’t.” Seth reasoned. “Arthur wins. He will have power over a king. No. I have to.” Without another word, he spurred his horse on. I simply followed.

A woman met us at the entrance to Thorne Manor without us having to knock or send word we were there. “Hello, Seth.”

“Grace.” Seth nodded to her. “We’re here to speak with Arthur.”

“He is not here.” She replied, but her face said she was uneasy telling us that. Telling us it was a lie, told her to tell us.

Seth got down from the horse. “Grace, I know he’s here. In fact, I’m sure he’s listening to us right now.” He pointed to a window on the second floor.

I frowned. “And is that the way someone greets her king?” I didn’t care about it, but a reminder was needed.

The woman then curtsied. “I’m sorry, Your Majesty. But I’ve always known you as Seth. Forgive me.” Then she grinned at Seth. “The stories are true. You are more handsome now.”

“Thanks, Grace.” Seth nodded. “I was Seth to you for twenty years. And I’m not quite used to the Your Majesty thing. You’re fine.” He walked past her as he gave her a kiss on the cheek and into the house.

Coming into the manor it was very opulent. Furnishings, artwork, a lot of hardwood polished and it gleamed. Seth knew where he was going as he didn’t stop once. He climbed stairs to the second floor and went right to a door, which he opened without knocking. Then in what I guessed was a study, he went to a paneled wall and moved a sconce sideways and a door opened. “Hello, Arthur.” He greeted Arthur in a small room with only a chair and some books. “Did you think I didn’t know about this room? I lived here twenty years.”

Arthur sneered. “Don’t remind me. You used to call me father.” He put his goblet of wine down.

“But you weren’t, were you?” I asked as the dislike…now the beginnings of true hatred of this man rising in me. I seldom hated anyone. But Arthur Thorne was one I was hating now. “And don’t claim innocence about not knowing who he really was. You had to have known he was the son of King Alexander.”

Arthur shrugged. “Then why are you here?”

“Who is Lukus Caine?” I asked.

“I told you, I don’t know who you’re talking about,” Arthur said again.

I nodded with an irritated laugh. “Well, forgive me if I don’t believe you. I was told you and this Lukus Caine asked the king of the Creides to get King Alexander’s throne.” I narrowed a look at him. “You two framed the Creides and tried to kill members of King Alexander’s family. You did kill his wife.”

Arthur glared at me. “Why don’t you prove it.”

I shrugged. “I’d love to, but you already know I have no hard evidence.”

Arthur glared at Seth. “I raised a Sodomite. Married to a man, political or not, you’re perverted. You are cursed. No matter what you say.”

Seth cringed a little. “Because of the scars? Or is there something more?”

Arthur stood. “Let’s just say, for the sake of argument. I did know this Lukus Caine. Let’s further theorize I did know you were Prince Phillip. Promises were made to put my son on the throne. You were not supposed to be king.”

I thought. “How was he going to carry this promise out? How would he make Darius king?”

Arthur shrugged. “I don’t know. But if it happened as you said killing his wife. The line to the throne would be interrupted. A decision would have to be made. By eliminating his wife, there would be no further heirs. The two heirs to the throne were gone. Darius would be king.”

“So why not just kill them?” I asked. “To keep Seth and Samuel alive was dangerous.”

“Samuel was a baby,” Arthur said simply. “He could be raised never knowing who he really was. Seth was so badly injured, I just knew he would die. But he didn’t. And he didn’t speak for two years after he recovered, never remembering who he was.” Arthur shook his head. “The woman that came here, was a very pretty woman, so as a way to win her over, I helped care for these two. There didn’t seem to be a need to kill anyone.” He shook his head. “I’m not a murderer.”

I couldn't believe it. “If you were the cause of what happened, you most certainly are, but she never told you about Seth or Samuel?” I asked.

“Of course not.” Arthur shook his head. “She always claimed she was in fear for their lives and wished to remain anonymous. So, I let her. It took a couple of years, but she married me.”

“Not the wisest move, and not a testament to her taste in people,” I muttered. “But she kept their secret and saved their lives. Now, about this curse. What curse?”

Arthur shrugged. “If I was told about it…the curse itself was not explained. Only that the scars were the sign of that curse.”

“Did it ever occur to you the curse could be a lie?” I almost yelled.

“Sure.” Arthur nodded. “But who was I to argue with someone that could come and go as he did? Just seemed to appear from nowhere.”

That did tell me a lot! Come and go out of nowhere? “Did he ever claim to be descended from Adam and Lilith?”

Arthur frowned. He had no idea about what I was saying. “Who?”

“Never mind.” I dismissed him. “Seth, we need to talk to Demetrius.”

Seth was considering what we’d been told as well. “How do we trust him now?”

“How can we not? Demetrius has been nothing short of a friend to both of us. I can’t believe he was involved. He said there were others. Perhaps he knows who they are.” I argued as I turned to leave. Then stopped. “Arthur, in spite of what you did, thank you for not killing Seth or Samuel. For that alone, I am grateful. However, if you ever, ever threaten my husband, his brother or anyone else in the family. I will personally see you hang!”

“No, you won’t!” We heard from the other room we’d come from. Both Seth and I turned to see Darius, his sword drawn. “You can not come in here, threaten my father and just walk away.” He growled. “I claim The Challenge.” He said.

I looked at Seth. “What’s that?”

Seth paled. “It’s an old rule. I’m sure still on the books. A nobleman can challenge…pretty much anyone. He wants to challenge me. It’s a fight to the death.”

“That’s barbaric!!” I balked.

“It is from a barbaric time.” Seth nodded his agreement. “It’s not used anymore.”

“I’m challenging now,” Darius claimed.

“Who answers?” I asked Seth.

“He didn’t say.” Seth shook his head. “But he is obviously challenging me.”

“No,” I growled. “I claim that honor. You want a challenge, I’ll take it.” I drew my sword.

“No, Erik!” Seth shook his head. “Don’t do it. He could kill you!”

“Have you forgotten already?” I smiled at Seth. “I’ve fought him before. If I don’t, you will die.”

Darius’ face looked confused. “I’ve never fought you.”

“You did.” I corrected him. “The day I met Seth. You thought I needed to be put in my place when I was a peasant serving wine. The servant from A’Dore?”

“But that wasn’t you!” Darius claimed.

“Think what you like.” I walked forward to him. “The challenge was done.” I looked back at Seth. “Can it be taken back?”

Seth shook his head. “Someone will die. That’s the rule.”

I looked at Darius. “So, do we do it here? Or perhaps somewhere with more room?”

“Outside,” Darius said, his face now determined. “Then I’ll challenge you, Seth.” He pointed his sword at Seth. “Let’s do this.”

Arthur had confidence in his son’s legendary abilities because he never looked worried. “So, let’s go.” Arthur motioned toward the door.

 

Once outside, we gathered in front, shirts off, ready for this battle. To say I had no worries would be a lie. I could make a mistake. I just hoped Jason, my teacher all those years had taught me well enough. He stressed that I keep my mind on the battle. And I had defeated Darius once before, pretty easily. But now Darius looked far more determined. I had never killed a man before, but if the choice was him or me…and God knew I couldn’t let Seth fight him….it was going to be Darius. There were going to be many witnesses. The men that had come with us and the ones here at the manor. Arthur Thorne came in the center.

“My son has issued The Challenge. That challenge was accepted by Prince Erik. Let those here be a witness to the battle. May God have mercy on your soul.” He said in an overly proud way, almost as if he knew I had no chance. He really wasn’t a sharp man, I thought. He didn’t know me at all. “Begin.”

Darius came toward me and did a thrust I knew was just a test thrust. I did a simple block. “You have some training.”

“I’m a prince. Of course, I have.” I growled.

“I have been unmatched,” Darius said.

“Except by me.” I corrected. “Remember?”

Darius’ face got angrier as he turned with a thrust. Easily blocked again, metal clangs rang. Then Darius began thrusting more and harder. Doing what I considered artful turns and parries, but never making a connection with me. Seeing that I wasn’t bending to his “self-admitted” superiority, he could now see that I was not just a pamper prince he assumed I was, but he might have to work harder. And work harder he did. He challenged, I took it and he couldn’t take it back. He knew that. I didn’t see that Arthur was now looking a little worried. He began calling his son to encourage him. Then Darius’ sword brushed me close enough I felt the wind of it pass not realizing he had gotten me on the left shoulder and chest, but only a cut. Blood was now coming out, but I was charged and didn’t feel it. Swords dueled, and then Darius did a turn as my sword was extended. Not wise. That artful turn threw his body weight right on my blade. He was impaled about mid-chest a few inches toward his left side near his heart and into a lung. He let out a sort of gasp. But the air in and out was a problem.

“Darius!!!” Arthur cried in shock. It was unbelievable! It couldn’t be true! His son lost? “You killed my son!!” He yelled at me enraged.

“In a legal challenge your son gave,” Seth argued, but relieved I was the winner as he rushed over to me. “Which as my first act as king, I will take this whole Challenge nonsense from the books and if any man makes a challenge, will be put to death if he dares go through with it even having won.” Then hugged me, kissing me. “Are you okay?”

I laughed at him as I caught my breath. “I am.” Then looked at my shoulder and chest. “Just a little cut.”

Seth smiled ripping from his shirt as strip which he held to my cut. “It’ll heal.”

Arthur was cradling his son’s body, watching those eyes close as Darius died. Then he looked up in fury. He reached down to Darius’ boot where he pulled a dagger from the boot. “You killed my son!!” He rose, the dagger raised in front of him as he charged both Seth and me. “I’ll kill you!!”

Seth blocked me from the dagger as he pushed me and himself away as Arthur came, but Arthur, being a man that was portly and not in the best shape, he stumbled falling. Arthur turned over, surprised, but then looked down at himself. Blood was coming from a wound below his heart in his gut.

“Lukus!!” Arthur cried. “You promised!! How could this happen?”

A man suddenly appeared. Out of nowhere. The crowd moved away scattering, almost ran away, but some stayed. The men with us raised their swords to ready for battle. Neither Seth or I were surprised as a man we had never seen before appeared. He was about fifty or sixty in appearance. Blonde. I didn’t like blonds, remember? This man knelt by Arthur. “I did promise.” He grinned. “And that promise came true.”

“My son isn’t king!” Arthur lamented. “He’s dead.”

Lukus Caine nodded. “Darius is dead. But by your own words, you made Seth, or Prince Phillip, your son in front of everyone. Those are your words and your laws. I told you the son from your House was going to be king. I never said it was Darius. You just assumed I meant Darius.”

Arthur began to pant a little. “I’m dying.”

Lukus nodded. “Yeah, you are.” His look was a “you poor thing” look. “But I didn’t do it. You did.” He chuckled. “You did it all!”

That was when Demetrius appeared. “Why’d you do this? Kane?” Then he looked at me. “That’s Kane, K.A.N.E, not C.A.I.N.E.”

Lukus shrugged. “It was fun. A lot of intrigue."

“Fun!?” I asked angrily. “His mother died! His life has been hell for twenty years!” I held Seth.

Lukus nodded. “Yes.” He smiled sadly at Seth. “Again, not my doing. This was all Thorne. He was the one that sought out an alliance with the Creides, which I knew Mordor…” he chuckled. “…Mordor, that name just reeks of something not of this world, doesn’t it? Anyway, I knew he was no fool and would say no. Thorne framed him and his people. Thorne was the one that took the fluid and made it go off.”

“Which is where?” I asked. “This fluid.”

“Right here.” Lukus held out his hand and a glass jar of liquid appeared. Seth and I stepped back. “Don’t worry, it’s benign in this state. It needs a triggering agent. Then BOOM!” He chuckled. “I gave the trigger to Thorne too. Or rather, I showed it to him. He decided to use it.”

Seth was angry. His grip on me tightened. “You played with peoples’ lives. With my life! My father and mother….”

Lukus nodded. “You people play with each other’s lives all the time!” Then he pointed at Demetrius. “He does it, too. His wife does…the pumpkin into a carriage? Him bringing Erik here to meet you. You don’t complain because it’s all in your favor and positive. I gave Thorne the means to do this, yes…but he took it. Ella didn’t have to get in the carriage. You…” he pointed to me. “…didn’t have to come here and meet Seth or Phillip or whomever. But you did.” He shook his head at Demetrius. “Now it was exciting, wasn’t it? You have to admit that.”

Demetrius nodded with a reluctant smile. “It was.” Then his eyes widened. “I sense him now.”

Seth came closer to Demetrius. “Sense who? Samuel!?”

Demetrius turned to Lukus. “How’d you do that? Blocking me like that?”

Lukus shrugged with a chuckle. “In a couple of more hundred years, you may find out. It’s something I learned.”

“And Seth’s scars?” I asked Lukus.

Lukus shook his head. “No, that wasn’t me. If I live twice as long as I have now, I’ll never get that kind of power to use.”

“But you play with lives of people. For fun?” I asked again.

“Using rules you make up.” Lukus nodded. “Who to marry, when and how…” he smiled at me and Seth lowering his eyes. “…who you can’t.” Then he chuckled. “But then again…you two found a way using the rules to get around that, didn’t you?” Then he looked a little pleading. “I’m not evil. I’m like Demetrius, I’m good occasionally, but never really bad.” Then he looked at Arthur, knelt and frowned. “I imagine it’s burning now.”

Arthur grunted.

“Those digestive acids are eating away at your insides. Again, you did it. You did it all!” Lukus shook his head. “It won’t be long now. I’d use the time to think of a good explanation to give the Big Guy.” He pointed to the sky. “Thou Shalt Not Kill is one of the Ten Commandments. And you broke it.” Then he stood again. "You are a murderer."

“You can locate Samuel?” Seth asked Demetrius excited.

Demetrius smiled. “Well, actually, he’s coming to you. He should be at the palace by the time you get back. Something about his brother being crowned king and scars going away.”

Seth grabbed my hand and began dragging me behind. “Samuel’s coming home!”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I actually agreee with Lukus. He did nothing wrong according to the rules. Arthur was the evil one who made the bad choices.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/08/2016 06:32 AM, droughtquake said:

Arthur and Darius are gone. What about the sister? Does Samuel inherit Arthur's estate?

Be patient.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

A king is addressed as your majesty, your highness is used for a royal person who is not a king, like a Prince.

Misterwill

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 12/22/2017 at 12:46 PM, Will Hawkins said:

A king is addressed as your majesty, your highness is used for a royal person who is not a king, like a Prince.

Misterwill

According to British traditions. Nothing says that Blethos (and A’Dore) use the same conventions. This is not the world we live in.
;–)

Link to comment
On 12/22/2017 at 12:46 PM, Will Hawkins said:

A king is addressed as your majesty, your highness is used for a royal person who is not a king, like a Prince.

Misterwill

According to British traditions. Nothing says that Blethos (and A’Dore) use the same conventions. This is not the world we live in.
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

According to British traditions. Nothing says that Blethos (and A’Dore) use the same conventions. This is not the world we live in.
;–)

Your right.   Thanks for the support.  The people of A'Dore and Blethos are descended from Vikings, Englishmen, French and all other European countries a 1500 years before the stories.  Imagine America in 1300 more years!  Lack of speedy transportation and communication allowed for a quicker alteration of customs.   The people we call "indians" had a greater impact.  On both cultures.   Artistic Licenses?  I have it somewhere.   I'll look.   :hug:Love you!

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 12/22/2017 at 3:46 PM, Will Hawkins said:

A king is addressed as your majesty, your highness is used for a royal person who is not a king, like a Prince.

Misterwill

I know.  A Queen Consort is Majesty, but not a Prince married to a Queen.  That's not fair.  Read my comment to Droughtquake.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..