Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,300 Words
  • 8,022 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 1. Chapter 1 - Are There Fairies?

I’m sure by now most people know the stories. About a young woman that wanted to go to a ball and meet a certain prince. Her stepmother won’t let her. But she went with the help of an old lady some say was capable of magic, like a fairy. That she not only met the prince, but they fell in love and she marries the prince. That story has been circulating for a while and gets more inflated as it’s told. There was even talk about a glass slipper left behind to lead the prince to her after she vanished at midnight. There are some more gorier stories being spread as well about cutting off toes and Stepsisters having their eyes pecked out by birds. First, a glass slipper wouldn’t work, there’s no give in glass. Nor did her stepsisters lose toes to get to the prince, that's a little grim. I mean, that’s just a little too desperate. And no eyes were pecked out that I know of. How do I know? She married my brother. He was the prince she married.

Never heard about me, did you? Of course not. I was ten years old when Christian met Ella. And yes, there was a ball held for Christian because he had to choose a bride. I was the third child born to our father and mother. I have a sister between Christian and me, only she died shortly after she was born. So, I was the second in line for the throne. My name is Erik. According to stories, Prince Christian was this charming man, very handsome and brave. There was a name they would refer to him by, Prince Charming. I can set things straight about that. He was. Black hair, like our father, only Christian had green eyes and I have brown. I have the black hair, too. And I’m not unattractive either. I think. In some royal families, the second in line is often jealous and plots to get rid of their brothers to get the throne. I suppose I could have been like that, but in truth, I liked Christian. He was a great guy. He and I were well educated and taught manners and how to lead the people. I suppose it just never occurred to me to be jealous. Besides, I had a ball of my own! But I’m getting ahead of myself. So let me begin a little earlier.

I was not like most boys. And not just because I was a prince. That was enough, but I knew I could never be like the other boys I did know. My problem was the girls. It wasn’t that I didn’t like them as friends, I did! But I didn’t sit about pining over every pretty little thing that passed by. Seeing them did not make my mind wonder what it was like to touch them, kiss them or more! In fact, the idea of doing that repulsed me. The truth about myself hit me when I was watching the men, the guards of our kingdom exercising. They would fence and wrestle and do all kinds of physical things for the possibility of going to war. Which was very possible as kingdoms were forming and conflicts just happened. Our kingdom was A’Dore and the neighboring kingdom was Blethos. And they were our biggest threat. We had an...understanding for twenty years. They were a very powerful kingdom…but I didn’t tell you about me. As the men practiced and exercised, they’d get hot. Well, off came shirts and in the summer, they didn’t care about modesty, they would take off more. They would often cool down by the river or lake and sometimes they would strip down completely and swim naked. To me, they were beautiful. Most were young and strong having muscles developed and to me, the ideal viral men. Beautiful. Those were the ones I wanted to touch and thought of kissing and doing more. But I didn’t dare. I was taught we didn’t do that. It was wrong and against God. But I watched them as often as I could. When I was eleven, I began training with them. To be a leader, you had to know many things and being ready for war was one of those things. I enjoyed it! There were several young men that were told I was to be taught so they spent many hours with me during the day training my mind as well as my body. They were good teachers and good friends. The guys didn’t have to be friendly with me because I was the king’s son. They just did. Then I was the king’s brother when our father died and Christian took the throne. I was fifteen when our father died. Like almost every kingdom experiences, when the king dies, border kingdoms test the new king to see if he is like the other king. Will he bend? Will he be as good a defender as the other? Well, Christian proved he was not only as good as our father and just as strong, but he also proved he was even smarter. Our kingdom was a wealthy kingdom because our land was fertile and rich. We had many crops we traded as well as crafts by very good artists. But by this time, Christian and Ella had three children. A boy Thomas, and twin girls Ada and Ana and all five were very happy. A year after our father died I saw two guards doing something I was told was wrong. Yet I couldn’t help but watch. They each had the other by their manhoods in each other’s hands and pumping each other until they exploded. They were kissing as I dreamed of doing myself. I knew there were others like me but had not met one. Still, I just watched and did my own pumping on myself. They were not the only two exploding. If I came to them, they would fear execution. If I asked them to include me, they would fear the same fate. It was in my seventeenth year my brother came to me as I was studying in my room.

“Erik.” He began calmly. “You’ll soon be eighteen. The year I married. Do you have someone in mind that maybe you would like to marry?”

I shook my head. “Not one,” I answered. “I’m afraid, like you, I can’t decide.”

He nodded and sat in a chair near my desk. “The reason I ask, you, of course, know Blethos.”

I nodded. “Certainly. Why?”

He sighed sadly. “They know they have no direct heirs for their throne.”

I was surprised when I heard this. “None?” I put my quill down. “No king or queen had brothers or sisters that have children? No Grandparents had siblings?”

Christian smiled. “There are. But it’s written in their laws, if a person of noble birth is married to a member of another royal line, they can rule. And there are many that fill that slot.”

My eyebrow rose. “So, if I marry whoever can prove their connection to the throne in a few generations, they become ruler.”

Christian nodded. “And there are approximately 118 that fit that connection.”

“One hundred and eighteen girls,” I said sadly.

“Well…” he hesitated. “About 81 girls. The rest are men.”

I sat up suddenly. “Thirty-seven men!?” I balked. “That’s not allowed!”

Christian shook his head. “Well…not really. They will do it just to claim the throne, but it will be legal. But you don’t have to do that.” He said hurrying to reassure me. “You can marry a nice girl from Blethos and still have a family. And that child will be a ruler. I’m just telling you there will be men in the line back some ways that will try to convince you to marry them if just for that reason. To become king.”

I had never heard of such a thing. “Okay. But let’s say I do, what happens then? There’d be no heirs. What’s the reward if I do marry one of the men?” I got up. My mind working fast. The idea that one of them might be like me…it was too much to hope for. But would they see me as a way to the throne? Of course, they would.

“We would have an unbreakable alliance.” Christian sat back. “Erik, there are eighty-one girls to choose from. I’m sure there has got to be someone you would be happy with.” But he looked at me, having known me my whole life and had no clue about me. “Unless you want to marry a man.”

Now, understand neither Christian or I ever spoke about any admiration toward anyone, male or female. We were taught not to by our mother that died when I was eight and by our father. He and I never discussed wanting to get with any girl…or guy. We were taught that was unseemly. But when Ella came to the ball for Christian, it was clear he was in love with her. I just knew that would never happen for me.

“I’m saying, Christian, I don’t want to marry anyone. But if I marry, I know my heart won’t be in it.” I said simply.

He relaxed a little. “Okay. I don’t understand it. You’re a very handsome man. You’re smart, articulate and you were taught by tutors how to dance…you aren’t shy about speaking to anyone…”

I shrugged. “I just don’t get emotional about anyone. Maybe one day…”

Christian stood. “Don’t count yourself out. You never know who’ll be there.”

I reached out to stop him from leaving. “What sort of ball will it be?”

Christian smiled. “We have time. But you decide.” Then he sighed. “But choose carefully. The person you decide to marry will become ruler. You need to be sure they can do the job. It takes a special person to become a ruler.”

I smiled nodding, knowing what our father taught us. “Kindness of the heart, wrapped in intellect.”

“When I met Ella.” Christian grinned back. “I knew she was the one. She is beautiful, but her loveliness came from her heart as well. And she was smart. I knew she’d make a great queen.” Then he leaned forward. “And she made me tingle.”

My eyebrows rose at that. As long as I’ve known him. He never spoke about anyone like this. “Tingle.”

He got up with a smile. “You’ll know when it happens to you. And I know it will.” He patted my arm. “How you want to do this, let me know. This is very important to A’Dore. And Blethos.” He turned to leave. “But plan fast.”

“Why did he agree to this?” I asked. “King Alexander is not old. He could marry and have more children.”

Christian stopped. “He’s not old.” He turned and looked very seriously at me. “What I’m going to tell you must be between us. Only a few advisers know what I’m going to say. You know what happened to his family.”

I’d been taught while I was growing up. King Alexander had a beautiful wife and two sons. Their other neighbors were the Creids. A monstrous people that lived in a mountainous kingdom. Some say they were barely civilized. Brutal. In a sneak attack, they launched an attack on the palace of Blethos, destroying much of the castle. His wife and two sons were killed in the attack which King Alexander never really recovered from. They successfully repelled the Creids and haven’t been attacked since. Any attempts were met with equally brutal retaliation. They even attacked us on a few occasion because we had something they needed and wanted. Food. But that was foolhardy, we were too far away for any attack to succeed.

“He’s dying,” Christian said sadly. “His doctors are giving him a few years at the most.”

I shook my head, truly heartsick at the news. “That’s terrible.”

Christian nodded. “It is.” Then he touched the door. “But, as terrible as that is. This will broaden our kingdom. With you there, we could become one. A’Dore and Blethos together. We would become invulnerable. United, our armies would be unmatched.”

The gravity of what I was to do hit me. “Then I will make the best decision I can.”

Christian nodded. “I know you will.” He walked out the door.

I needed some advice. But who do I ask? The rumors about Ella’s elderly helper didn’t escape me. Was she magic? I needed to talk to Ella. That evening I saw Ella during dinner. She was indeed very beautiful. But she also had the heart filled with kindness and she was smart. So, at the end of dinner, I stopped her before she would put her children to bed. She never had nursemaids do that for her.

“Ella, can you spare a moment?” I asked her.

She smiled at me. “Of course.” She sat waiting to hear me out.

“Please, tell me the truth.” I pleaded. “I was very young when Christian had the ball when the two of you met. Did the woman who helped you attend the ball have magical abilities?”

She looked a little hesitant to answer.

“It’s very important,” I stressed. “I’ve been given a responsibility that will affect thousands of people and any help I can get…”

Ella smiled her sweet smile, dropping her head slightly. “She did.”

“Do you speak to her now?” I asked.

“Frequently.”

“Would she speak to me? As I said. It’s very important.” I told her again.

“I can ask her,” Ella said. “Is this about Blethos?”

I nodded. “It is. But also, it has to do with me. I’m supposed to decide who will rule Blethos. Choose a mate and they become ruler. But I want to marry for love as you and Christian have. The two of you are happy and that keeps Christian sane and makes him a good king because he has your support and strength. Well, I’m supposed to do that and choose. I want to be that strength and support for their ruler.”

She nodded. “Of course you do.” She rose, touching my face gently. “I will ask her.”

“Thank you, Ella.”

She smiled and walked away.

 

It was two days later, or should I say, two nights later when I woke because someone was moving around my room. It was late, or rather very early because it was the middle of the night. In spite of that fact, I was never frightened. It could have been someone that wanted to harm me, but that thought left when I heard this person accidentally hit something and let out a curse. It was a male. Rolling over I lit a lamp by my bed and held it up. A man, a little pudgy, perhaps in his forties was holding his shin and letting a few more curses out. He wore the clothes a servant would wear, but they were a little…sparkly?

“And you are?” I asked him, again, feeling no panic.

“In pain.” The man grumbled.

I chuckled. “Well, that’s what happens when you roam around in the dark. I’ll ask again. Who are you?”

“Demetrius.” The man sat in a nearby chair rubbing his shin. “Well, I came because you asked me to come.”

“I did?”

He shrugged and nodded. “Well, not me exactly. You asked Ella to ask her fairy godmother. And her fairy godmother asked me to come instead.”

How could he have known that if someone hadn’t told him? And I only told Ella. “You’re a fairy?”

He again gave me a shrugging nod. “Sort of.”

He was a bit quirky, but he seemed likable. “Sort of. Either you are or you’re not.”

“Look, kid.” He griped. “You asked for someone of my kind to help you make a decision. Well, here I am. So, what’ll it be?”

“So you turn pumpkins in the carriages and mice into horses and all that?”

He stood. “I do what is needed. Now, are you going to tell me why you asked me to come here, or do we continue to play twenty questions?”

He should have pissed me off, but he was funny. I liked him. “Didn’t she tell you, Demetrius?”

“That’s hearsay. Now tell me, or I’m outta here.”

“Okay, okay.” I smiled and got up. The early spring still had a chill in the morning and castles were difficult to keep warm sometimes. I rubbed my warm arms that had been covered up. “Ooh, I forget how cold it is without a fire.”

To my surprise, a flame burst in the fireplace like it had been burning a few minutes. What should have only been a few hot coals was now bright and warm. “Any other tricks you want me to perform to prove I am what I say?” Demetrius asked.

There were guards posted all through the castle, so I knew he couldn’t just sneak in. And that fire was warm. “Okay. So, here’s my problem. My brother wants me to pick someone to marry. From the kingdom of Blethos.”

Demetrius frowned. “So pick one.”

“This person is supposed to rule if I choose them,” I explained. “Just picking one isn’t enough. Besides, I am picking my partner in life! I want there to be love, but I need to make the right decision. It will affect a lot of people.”

Demetrius smiled when I said that. “The right person to rule and someone you’re attracted to.”

“Is that too much to ask for?” I asked.

He stood and walked toward me. “It’s not too much, but hard to do.”

“So you can’t help me.” I felt the weight again about this situation.

He looked offended. “Did I say that!?” He barked. “I said it was hard, I never said I couldn’t do it.” He touched me on the chest. “But what your heart seeks is a little more challenging.”

“Why?”

He frowned again. “You know why. To find someone you’re attracted to is going to be more of a challenge. You seek companionship with a man.”

Hearing someone say what I never dared to admit to a soul gripped my heart in a kind of panic. “You know that?”

“Sure, I do.” He said simply, then nodded as if remembering. “Oh, that’s right. You’re kind don’t think it’s right.”

“My kind.”

“Humans,” Demetrius said softly. “Love is love. Is it wrong for someone male to love another male?” He shrugged. “That’s not one for me to answer. All I can say is, it’s been done for millennia. It just seems odd that people would prefer a man wanting to kill and man versus a man to love him.” He shrugged. “But I will say, because of who you are, it will be deemed less…inappropriate.”

“Do you think it will be okay if I do?”

“You know what you want. But I should say, it will be a lot easier for you than someone out there.” He jutted his head toward the window. “But it will be a lot easier if you tell your brother what you want.”

“He won’t understand.”

He smiled a bit smugly. “You might be surprised. He loves you.” Then he smiled a little more. “Well, I have some things to get sorted out if this is going to work. See ya soon.” No puff of smoke or flash of light, he just vanished.

I felt a bit better about what was coming, but still not sure how my family would react. Still, I had seen some strange things this night. Demetrius wasn’t bothered about it, in fact he seemed hopeful. I grinned as I stretched out and returned to bed. Maybe it would be good.

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 55
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/27/2016 05:02 AM, Kjamieson said:

A unique spin on an old classic, I like it

Tomorrow after midnight, I have the whole story in my head.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Interesting start. The title drew me in. I look forward to seeing what's next!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I know I am late to this, but am home with bronchitis & laryngitis and needed an enjoyable read to break in my new eyeglasses with!  This is so promising and well written as are all of the other things of yours I have gotten to read ! :)  Thank you!!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, daveymars said:

I know I am late to this, but am home with bronchitis & laryngitis and needed an enjoyable read to break in my new eyeglasses with!  This is so promising and well written as are all of the other things of yours I have gotten to read ! :)  Thank you!!!! 

You've got a lot of reading to do.  There is a sequel and a lot more!  I have personal favorites, but, I'm the writer.  What do I know?  :yes:  Hope you recover.  I had both.  Oyi, I'm sorry you're your sick.  Get better.  I hope my stories help a little.

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 2
Link to comment

An accepting brother, a chubby little good fairy and, oh my, was it 81 Princes to choose from, what more could a gay prince want. Go for it, percentage-wise there will be several Princes who may be interested, It is not every gay lover who can promise a kingdom  to  his boyfriend, though there are some who try!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Not sure why I never commented on this the very first time I read this chapter I was so excited to read more.  A really interesting and wonderful beginning to a storybook like story!

Edited by Lizzydolphin37
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Al Norris said:

I've always loved a good fairy tale. This one's off to a rollicking start!

I wanted one that belongs to us! My characters are men. There will be sword fights and murder plots. It ain't Disney!

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

LOL! I loving this tale!

You've got a lot of reading to do. There's the sequel/

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..