Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,542 Words
  • 6,206 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cinderfella - 4. Chapter 4 Blethos Bound

I woke up the next morning after my confrontation with Christian and Ella, feeling no hangover at all. In fact, I felt better than I could remember ever feeling. It was if I were free from bondage at last I wasn’t even aware I was in.

“I told you.” Demetrius said from nowhere I could see.

I chuckled. “You did.” I glanced around amused he was being so secretive now. “You came in the middle of the night, when I was bathing, why hide now?”

Demetrius stepped out of a wall, where he could not do that if he was human. “Well….I got the feeling it wasn’t liked that much the first couple of times.”

I nodded. “That was when I wasn’t expecting it. I’ve sort of gotten used to it now.” He was not an ugly human, but he was old enough to be my father’s age in appearance and even showed signs a man had where he was beginning to lose some of his brown hair toward the back and at the crown. “What about you? Are you married?”

Demetrius looked surprised. “Would that be hard to believe if I were?”

“I didn’t mean that.” I said. “But I know nothing about you except you can do magic. Are you married? Do you have any children?”

He grinned. “Well, I am married. In fact, it was my wife that asked me to come here.”

My eyebrows rose. “Your wife is Ella’s fairy godmother?”

He nodded. “So, I’ve taken you as my godson.” Then he smiled a little sadly. “We never had children, so you and Ella are our children now.”

I wrapped my arms around him. “You’re a wonderful godfather.”

He looked up at nothing I heard or saw. “Your brother’s coming.”

“Why don’t you stay and meet him?” I asked holding him to keep him there.

“It’s better if I remain an unknown for now,” Demetrius explained.

“We’re going away soon. Will you be there too?”

“I’m always a call away,” Demetrius assured and vanished as a tap was heard at my door.

“Come in, Christian,” I said automatically.

The door opened and Christian’s head came in, a puzzled look on his face. “How’d you know it was me?”

I chuckled not realizing I had said it like that. “Demetrius told me.”

Christian’s look got more curious. “Oh.” He came in but looked around the room, but saw no one. “We have to get things together before we head to Blethos. You need to tell the staff what clothes and whatever else should be sent. We’ll send that ahead. I figured an additional week for the carriages to get them to Blethos. We’ll make better time if it’s just a few of us on horseback there.”

I nodded. “Sure.” I walked over to the table where the masks remained. “But I’d better take these with me.”

He looked at the masks which was appropriately ornate, fitting a prince, but each unique.

He touched one. “They’re beautiful.” He grinned. “So, who are you getting to wear them?”

I shrugged. “We’re being escorted by ten guards. Most are only a few years older than I am. Anyone of them will do. All are loyal and would do whatever we ask. No one knows what color my hair is or my size, so it won’t matter.”

He nodded. “I thought about your plan. It’s pretty good. But I still don’t know how you’re going to disappear, yet be there.”

“Magic, big brother. Magic.”

Christian nodded, but still not convinced. “Magic, right.”

I chuckled. “I’m told I will be able to stand in front of you, even speak with you and you won’t know it’s me.”

“If you say so.”

 

Clothes and supplies were packed and sent ahead. For the first time in a long while, this was my chance to spend some time with Christian without Ella or their children. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ella and my nephew and nieces, but Christian and I spent little time just being brothers. Sure there would be the guards with us, but mostly it was a chance for both of us to just spend time together. Even Christian seemed upbeat about that fact and seemed to look forward to it as much as I was. Depending on our progress, the trip could last almost two weeks even on horseback.

The capital city of Blethos was a good thousand miles away. To go by sea would take longer because we would have to travel around the whole continent and we had no river access. It had to be by land. The country’s border about six hundred miles away from our capital in A’Dore. I had been there once with our father, but that was a good while ago. Our country was east of Blethos, so we were to head west. It was a week more and the morning came when we were to leave. It was then I realized, I was saying goodbye to A’Dore. As I knew Christian was saying his words to his wife in private, I could only see the surrounding wall of the castle and the palace itself. The white spires that stood over the castle so our soldiers kept watch. The red slate roof a bright flash of color against the blue sky.

“Are you okay?” My brother asked quietly as he and Ella approached.

I nodded. “I am.” Then smiled sadly at them. “I’m just feeling a little homesick right now. I realized I was saying goodbye to home.”

Christian smiled understanding. “It will always be your home.”

“Of course it is,” Ella assured putting her hand on my arm.

I nodded again. “In name, yes, but Blethos will be where I live soon. I’ll need to be at home there. So, I am leaving this home, thus the goodbye.”

Ella grabbed me in a hug. “You will always be welcome. You know that.”

I hugged her back. “I do.” Then had my legs attacked by two four-year-old princesses. I bent down to hug them both. “I’ll see you again soon. I promise.” Then grabbed my nephew in a hug. “You, too. Only you’ll be a foot taller I bet.”

He beamed at that. “You think so?”

“The way you outgrow your clothes, I know it.” I grinned.

Christian hugged his wife again. “I’m going to miss you.”

Ella held her face steady, but I knew it was hard. “I miss you now.”

Christian hugged his daughters, assuring them he would be back. Then his son. “You’re in charge until I get back.” He smiled at his son.

“I am!?” Thomas all but bounced, in fact, I think he did just that.

Christian grinned. “Well, you are the Crowned Prince of A’Dore. That means you’re in charge when I’m gone.” He rubbed his son’s head. “Take good care of your mother and sisters, okay?”

“I will!” Thomas declared with the conviction of a boy of six years.

“That’s my boy.” Christian chuckled giving his son one last hug. Then again to Ella. “I’ll be back.”

She nodded. “I know.” She hugged me again. “You boys have a good time. Be safe. But don’t get into too much trouble on the way.” Her eyes glistened knowing her husband could and would probably get into mischief with me. “Two boys camping do that. I know you two.”

Christian had a mock look of disbelief as he mounted. “Us?” He grinned at me. “Do you know what she’s talking about?”

I grinned back. “I have no clue.” As I mounted. I waved to them. “See you later.”

The guards were ready and a group of twelve exited the gate into the city beyond. To the world we were twelve soldiers, nothing on Christian or me said we were any different than the other ten soldiers accompanying us. Yet there was a crowd of people lining the sidewalks cheering and waving to us, all-knowing us as we wore light armor for the trip. The streets were stone and we had a brigade of men that Ella insisted on having to keep the streets swept and clean, especially since there were as many horses in A’Dore as people. More than people perhaps. But for now, the streets were clear of traffic. We waved as we passed. I again looked at the city I was leaving. Like the castle, most of the houses here were white with red roofs, just as the castle. Yet the people’s pride shone as windows had flower boxes with blooming flowers since it was Spring now. It was beautiful and they kept it that way. I allowed myself one more glance back at the castle that had been my home for nearly eighteen years and then turned away, determined to never to look back again.

“Blethos is just as pretty, Erik,” Christian said. “I promise.”

I nodded. “I’m sure. It will just be different.”

 

We rode a good way that day. Stopping only as it got darker and set up camp. Both Christian and I decided sleeping outdoors was good enough that night, so we set up around a campfire for dinner, which was provided to us to eat. The next day we hunted. There was plenty of game out here beyond the town limits. Farm communities were spread out but mostly now there was woods and wilderness, still, it was all beautiful to me. Soon many of the guards went to bed leaving Christian and me awake to talk in private if we wanted. But as the hours that had passed as we rode, we pretty much talked about everything and now sat in comfortable silence. He was good company. I just hoped I was to him.

“What you’re doing is pretty amazing, Erik,” Christian remarked suddenly breaking the silence. “Not just the idea of marrying, but who you agreed to marry and why.”

I just looked at my brother. “I’ve always known that as your brother and the second in line, I would likely be given in marriage for this reason.” I shrugged.

He nodded. “But you’re deciding who will rule a kingdom. That’s pretty amazing.” He shook his head. “My marrying Ella was gladly my choice on who and why.” He played with a stick in the fire. “Can I ask you a question?”

I chuckled. “You just did.”

He grinned. “Well, yes, but this is a more personal question.”

I’d already told him everything now, so what could I tell him now? “Sure. If you can’t, no one would be able to.” Then I grinned. “But if you do, I get the same privilege.”

He nodded with a hesitant smile. “Okay, but no details.”

I chuckled. “You don’t even know what I’ll ask, but no, no details. Nothing about you and Ella.”

Christian sighed with relief. “Deal.” Then he looked at me seriously. “I am assuming you’ve never been intimate with anyone, male or female. Would that be correct?”

I nodded. “I am a virgin if that answers the question.”

He nodded. “It does.” He was still trying to get things straight in his mind to form the question correctly. “If you’ve never had intimacy with a woman, how do you know you won’t like it?”

“Before I answer that, let me ask you a question. I assume you were a virgin when you married Ella.”

He nodded. “Of course. To be otherwise would have compromised the royal line. We were both drilled on that point at very young ages.”

I nodded. “Well, you don’t have to tell me….but did nothing you thought or saw ever made your manhood stiff?”

This was a subject we had never discussed. Nor had we ever thought to have the discussion at all. Our father never even explained sex to us, that was done by tutors and not very well.

He was clearly uncomfortable with the subject. “Of course.”

I nodded. “I know this isn’t a normal conversation, Christian. I don’t know why we are so reluctant to do so, it seems that’s a part of our lives, but…”

Christian slid closer to me. “No, no…it’s okay. We’re both men, adults….and most importantly, we’re brothers. Like you said, if you and I can’t talk to each other about a subject like this, who can we talk to about it? And most of what I want to know is how you’re sure about this…whole preferring to marry a man part of this.”

I nodded. “So, we plunge on.” I chuckled with Christian who nodded with a laugh. “Okay. Next question, that may answer the previous one. Have you ever woken with a stain on your sheets or on your bedclothing? Meaning you’ve erupted with your man seed.”

Christian chuckled. “Sure.”

“Have you ever made the stain yourself? By touching your manhood or rubbing it?”

Now he was beet red. “I did.”

I turned to him. “So do I! But in your mind, what was it you were thinking about? Was the image male or female?”

“Female.” Christian nodded. “I get it. What you desire is what’s on your mind when you do it. I know you’ve seen naked women in paintings and in statues…”

“And I’ve seen naked men often right in front of me while training and often by the lake or in the river,” I said. “Frankly, I think I deserve awards for not getting stiff with them. And sometimes I did and do, but I’ve been able to stop it or hide it. But I know what I see that makes me tingle.” I chuckled. “Frankly, I’m surprised you were never approached by a man.”

Christian looked shocked. “Why?”

I put a hand on his arm. “When I say this, understand where it’s coming from. You are my brother, but…even I can see you are gorgeous! Every part of you says you’re a man. You’re muscular and in great shape. If I weren’t related to you, I’d be lusting after you myself.”

Christian moved away a bit. “But you said you’re not.”

I chuckled. “Mom was gorgeous. Did you lust for her?”

“Of course not.”

I nodded. “For that same reason, I don’t for you. You’re family.” I shrugged. “I’m just saying I can see it.”

“Oh. Okay.” Then he laughed. “I guess that was pretty dumb, huh?”

I shook my head. “Well, not your best moment, but you’re trying to understand. Thank you.”

“And I don’t believe a man would dare try to bed with me.” He sighed. “What if what you seek isn’t in Blethos?” He asked quietly.

It was not a thought I’d even considered. “I assumed there would be.” I hurried on. “Demetrius seemed to think there was. He was cautioning me to not see with my eyes. But he never said there was no one.”

Christian sat back a bit more. “How do you see without eyes?”

“I assumed I need to see with my heart instead. I’m not really sure.” I grinned. “He cautioned me there would be some who would attract me….visually. I’m not to consider those.”

Christian’s eyes narrowed. “It sounds like he already knows who it will be.”

I nodded. “I know he does. But I’m to find them.”

“He won’t tell you.”

“It seems logical he wouldn’t.” I chuckled again. “Otherwise, Ella’s godmother would have just zipped Ella to you and told you to marry her. No ball needed. You had to discover it yourselves.”

He grinned as he yawned. “I suppose we did.” He brought me close to him in a one armed brotherly hug. “I just want you safe and happy. Understand?”

“I do. Just promise me something.”

Christian looked a little wary but nodded. “Sure.”

“Our father was a great example as a man to mold our minds and how we are to be as adults. Fair and understanding. Right now, Thomas worships you. That precious little soul trusts you. Don’t have a tutor tell him about relationships and sex. Talk to him, tell him what to expect as he becomes a man.” I smiled. “You had a hard time talking to me, but telling him what he should expect as he grows up should come from you. You and Ella are great parents, openly expressing affection and love in front of your children. Just tell him what will happen and what he can expect. Don’t just show him, tell him how to be a man. Talk to him. That’s only right.”

Christian nodded. “You’re right.” He sighed. “I see him as my little boy. And I know he will grow into a man. That will be hard, but….you’re right.” Then he yawned again. “Let’s go to sleep, we still have a long way and a lot to do in the morning.”

“You know it.” I agreed, then moved to my bedroll. “Good night, Christian.”

 

The route to Blethos was long. Like I said before, with no sea or even river access to speed things up, there was no choice but to go over land. Even with a fast horse, the trip would take ten to fourteen days, depending on how hard you rode your horse, but that was limited. They are living creatures and could be exhausted.

“You know, Christian?” I said as I considered this. “If there’s an emergency, we need to work out a message system to get word to each other.”

“And you have an idea?” Christian asked knowing I did, otherwise I wouldn’t bring it up.

“Several.” I grinned. Then shrugged. “Well, two right now.” I watched a few birds fly across the sky. “Could we train birds to go between our kingdoms?”

Christian looked up at what I was seeing. “I don’t know. I suppose they could be. But that will take time.”

“It will.” I agreed. “I thought in the meantime, we could set up contact stations…” I said. “Say every fifty miles or so….our fastest horses at each station. A rider drives the horse fast and hard one day, exchanging it for a fresh horse at the next station and rides hard a fresh horse the next day to the next station. The horse he rode on will rest while the new horse is used. On down the line. It could cut the travel time in half.” I shrugged with a grin. “Well, assuming I find that someone to marry and we’re still allies.”

Christian grinned back. “That’s a great idea! Of course, with the help of Blethos, it will be easier. We would have to hire men just for that purpose, but sure.” Then he frowned. “And why wouldn’t we always be allies!? Don’t tell me you’re planning a war with us already. Geez, we’ve not even cleared A’Dore yet!” He growled, and I chuckled as he ranted, but he knew I was kidding.

 

The trip did take a while and it was great to see Christian behave….not so king-like. He was always feeling that he had to set an example. It was wonderful to see him unshaved and less conscious of his appearance. And going more than a day without bathing until we couldn’t even stand ourselves! Well, bathing was hard when traveling, only bathing when a river or lake it was nearby and the occasional village. The path to Blethos was set and we followed the only road that allowed access and the weather was not bad most of the way, one day we did have to stop when it began raining, but decided to move on when it was obvious it wasn’t stopping because we had somewhere to be. On the close of day eleven, we topped a rise and Blethos’ capital city lay before us. Christian was right, it was pretty in its own way. While A’Dore’s castle was tall and white, set on the tallest hill in that area, the tall spires made it possible for our guards could see a good distance. The castle in Blethos was not. Blethos’ capital city was brown, like the color of sand. It was a lot rockier than A’Dore and the castle of Blethos was squatter and spread out. But still a grand structure.

“We should probably head on in,” Christian suggested. “We can get there and see King Alexander in the morning, that will give us a chance to sleep and clean up before seeing him.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I said urging my horse forward. Of course, it was after dark when we entered the castle walls. Attendants met us there and took our horses.

“Let King Alexander know we’ve arrived,” Christian told the man who greeted us. “We’re in no condition to meet with him now.”

The man bowed. “Of course, Your Majesty. There are rooms prepared for you. This was expected.”

The castle’s interior was again, more spread out inside but still a palace. We were led upstairs to rooms that were ready for us and I just collapsed on the bed and went right to sleep.

 

In the morning I bathed, shaved and dressed to meet with my brother and King Alexander. Things from A’Dore had arrived only the day before we had gotten there but having left nearly a week prior to our leaving. Neither Christian nor I liked wearing them necessarily, but we both had crowns we were expected to wear. And of course, Christian’s was a little more ornate, having the points coming up, but no jewels on it, but made of gold. Mine was a gold band, no points on it. But they were still heavy. Such was the price of royalty. I was escorted to the throne room, where I was ahead of Christian, but he almost jogged after me.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

I chuckled. “You’re a king. You’re never late.”

He chuckled back. “So, let’s do this.” Then he rubbed his stomach. “The sooner we can get breakfast.”

 

Entering the throne room, I was pleased with what I saw. The throne room at A’Dore was tall, taking up nearly three floors which was meant to be intimidating and should impress anyone standing on the checkered marble tiles before the two ornate thrones. Blethos’ throne room was only two stories and again, spread out. Decorated with tapestries and a floor that glistened a dark solid marble. In the one throne sat a handsome man that was only beginning to show gray in his black hair, but had keen, alert hazel eyes.

“King Christian of A’Dore, Your Majesty. And Prince Erik of A’Dore.” A man announced loudly near us and we took the long walk on a very elaborate carpet that led the way before the throne. King Alexander rose as we approached.

Christian and I bowed before the man that smiled at us. “Welcome our friends from A’Dore. Welcome to Blethos. I trust you had a good journey.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Christian smiled back. “It was a long one. But it will be for a great cause.”

“The alliance between our two kingdoms will indeed be a great cause.” King Alexander nodded. “And thank you, Prince Erik. Your agreement to do this will not go unrewarded.”

I bowed again slightly. “I have no doubt it will be for a fortuitous beginning of a lasting friendship with A’Dore and Blethos.”

Then King clapped his hands once, instantly changing the mood from solemn to more casual. “Now that that’s over with.” He grinned. “I’m sure you’re hungry. Breakfast is prepared and ready to eat.”

 

If I didn’t know the truth about King Alexander, he could have fooled me, but it wasn’t long before he began to show signs of early fatigue. Still, he was pleasant and friendly. He began to explain the plans made for this ball we were to have and asked what we thought we needed. I explained my intentions.

“So, tell me if I understand this correctly.” The king said with the same sort of scowl Christian had given me when I first told him. “You will be at the ball, but there as a servant? And there will be five young men in masks posing as you, to dance and meet with applicants as you listen and observe.”

I nodded.

He shrugged. “I don’t see how, but okay. The future of Blethos is in your hands. But be warned…” he said gravely. “There are those…less admirable that will try to trick you to get the throne.”

I nodded again. “That is why I choose to attend the ball this way. I will hear and see more truth that way.”

He smiled a little sadly. “I’m glad you’re taking this so seriously. You have put thought into it.” He sat back with a sigh. “These people are relatives of mine, I know, but I trust you will make the best decision.” Then he brightened. “Now, some are male. As such, we have a hunt scheduled prior to the ball. All will attend, including the women, but only a few of the women will be hunting. In your disguise or whatever, you can meet them then. You’re welcome to join us if you like.”

“Thank you, but I think my appearance, should be limited, so my decoys won’t be suspect as much before the ball,” I said.

“But can you attend, Christian?”

Christian nodded. “It’d be a pleasure.”

“Be sure to inform your staff, a servant from A’Dore will be helping during the hunt and the ball so there is no surprises. But nothing else.” I said.

King Alexander nodded. “It will be done.”

 

The time was fast approaching and I spent a few days in their archives, reading up on the history of Blethos and the history of the royal family. It was fascinating, and a little sad. Especially for King Alexander. His marriage was arranged, as were the marriages with most royal families, Christian’s excluded. But he had loved his wife. She had two children when the attack on the palace took those three lives so important to King Alexander. I couldn’t imagine how devastating it was.

Then I watched as many carriages were arriving in the town as guests came to the capital city of Blethos. None of these carriages were allowed in the gates of the castle, King Alexander did not want to show favoritism to any applicant. No doubt the few inns were booked to capacity as the applicants arrived. Of course, I didn’t see clearly who was in these carriages, but most were female with a few having extra people with them, either other family members or staff, as most were young, naturally the had someone come with them.

I got some clothes that would tell that I was a servant. Then the morning of the hunt came and Christian came before dawn to see me.

“Are you ready?” He asked with a cautious smile.

I smiled back. “I can’t say I am.” Then patted him on the shoulder. “It needs to be done. So, go for now. I need to do…what I need to do to be the servant. So, I’ll see you after the hunt and just before the ball.”

He nodded and was about to leave, then hugged me. “I pray you find what you’re looking for.”

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Westeros-like trained birds and a pony express (not sure which fantasy story might have included this Westerns standard), but no Gondor-style watch tower fire signals?

Link to comment
On 10/31/2016 10:16 AM, droughtquake said:

Westeros-like trained birds and a pony express (not sure which fantasy story might have included this Westerns standard), but no Gondor-style watch tower fire signals?

I considered the fire signals. That will be considered, but there are some other things going to happen. Tonight!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I feel like Prince Erik has things well at hand. His disguise is the most important part of the whole plan in order to find the perfect person to rule Blethos. I hope that he finds what he's looking for. Great chapter 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well written chapter, good characterization and pacing. I, too am looking forward to the hunt and the ball, we shall have to see what comes up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Well written chapter, good characterization and pacing. I, too am looking forward to the hunt and the ball, we shall have to see what comes up.

Thanks.   Now, please go to Blueblood The World, go to chapter Faggots and remove your explanation of Faggots.   I want the reader to read on to find out what that is.   Americans will be scratching their heads.  It's a minor thing but a little fun suspense.   Please.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I tried to remove the comment about which you are speaking, but apparently once a comment is posted it cannot be removed. I am sorry to have stepped on your story line, but as an excuse, anything that somebody wants to know about is available on line. The description of faggots, a recipe, even photographs of the dish are there for anyone who wishes the information. I wish I could remove my comment, but it seems to be impossible. My abject apologies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

I tried to remove the comment about which you are speaking, but apparently once a comment is posted it cannot be removed. I am sorry to have stepped on your story line, but as an excuse, anything that somebody wants to know about is available on line. The description of faggots, a recipe, even photographs of the dish are there for anyone who wishes the information. I wish I could remove my comment, but it seems to be impossible. My abject apologies.

You don't have an Edit?  Sorry, I know you are very intelligent, but...It's okay if you can't.  There aren't many new readers now.  It's okay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't know why, but this chapter had a song running through my poor addled brain.

I've been searching for my dream
A hundred times today,
I build them up, you knock them down
Like they were made of clay.

Then the tide rushes in
And washes my castles away.
Then I'm really not so sure
Which side of the bed I should lay.
I should lay!

Just seems to fit, before the hunt and the ball.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..