Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 2,247 Words
  • 1,772 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You Can't Buy Love - 3. Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 

“Ya Rob, I’m fine, look.”

Rob looked over at the counter where there was a lady sitting there. “Oh, shit.”

“Yep, what do I do now?”

“Let’s go in and see if we can talk to this lawyer. David they have to tell you what is going on. So let’s see if he is in and then go from there.”

“Ok.”

They walked to the counter. David watched Sally sitting there. She looked up at him. “Hey David, what are you doing here? Is something wrong with the family?”

“No, everything is fine. Can I see Mr. Harrison?”

“He is in a meeting right now. I can make an appointment for you, but it wouldn’t be until next week. He is booked solid right now.”

“No, that is ok, thanks.”

David turned and motioned for Rob to follow him out the door. “It will be next week before I can see him. Sally said he is booked till then. What can I do now? If I wait, and Jack or the family finds out I know, they could hide this from me again.”

“Hang on a minute.” Rob got his phone out and dialed. “Hey, this is Rob, is he in the office….Ok, I’m on the way, tell him to open up some time for me…Ok, I’m on the way now…”

“Let’s go. I have a plan that might work for you. We need to go back by your place and make some copies of those papers first.”

“I have a printer in my room hooked up to my computer so I can make the copies.”

“Good, let’s go.”

They got in Rob’s truck and went back to the apartment. They made the copies of all the statements and took off. “Where we going now?” David asked, leaning over kissing Rob on the cheek.

“That will not do. Come here.” Rob put his hand behind David’s neck and tugged him over so he could give him the kiss he really wanted from him. David moaned and then Rob ended the kiss looking into David’s eyes. “Now we can leave, Love you, babe.”

“Love you too, Rob. Now tell me what it is that you are thinking.” David got back on his side and buckled up, looking at Rob.

“I’m going to take you to see a man that I know that will help you. He is a very nice man that I have wanted you to meet for a while now. And with us moving in together, I think it is time to do this,” Rob said as he pulled out onto the street.

“Ok, now tell me who this man is?” David was getting a little nervous now.

“My father.” Rob looked over at David seeing him shaking. “Hey, calm down babe. He knows about us and has for quite a while now. I told him all about you, which I had to when he came by my place and saw some of your clothes there. He is happy for us, we have had this conversation already, you and I. I told you he is fine with me being gay, he didn’t stop loving me. As a matter of fact, he has helped me more than I could ever pay him back for.”

“How is he going to help me, Rob? I need to talk to this Mr. Harrison about this, not your Dad.”

“My dad is a lawyer. I know I told you that. He can possibly help us or refer us to somebody that can help. Let’s give this a try and see what he has to say.” Rob grabbed David’s hand giving it a squeeze smiling at him. “He is a great Dad and he is going to like you a lot. So calm down and let’s just see what he has to say, ok?”

“Ok, let’s get this over with.”

They drove over to Rob’s dads’ office. When they got there David couldn’t get out of the truck. Rob came around to David’s side when he saw that he had not gotten out. Rob opened the truck door looking at David. “You ok, David?” Rob took hold of David’s hand rubbing it.

“I don’t know, this day hasn’t gone right yet, with me finding out about Jack, and then the papers I found. I guess I’m just waiting for another shoe to drop.” David looked at Rob as his eyes watered, holding back his tears so they wouldn’t fall.

“Sweetheart, I love you so much. I wouldn’t bring you here if I knew that there was going to be a problem. My dad will like you, I promise.” Rob reached down and gave David a hug and a light kiss. “I promise, please let my father help you if he can.”

“Ok, but don’t leave my side. I need you there with me.”

“I will be there with you. Come on.” Rob got David out of the truck and gave him another hug. Holding hands they walked into Rob’s father’s office. They went up to the secretary’s desk. “Is he still here, Mary?”

“Hi, Rob. Yes, he is still here. I let him know you were coming in to see him, so he had me clear his next appointment so you could talk to him.”

“Thanks, Mary. Can we go in now?”

Mary nodded her head yes. Rob took hold of David’s hand again and walked them over to his dads’ office door. Rob knocked and went through the door. “Hi son, this is a surprise. I just saw you two nights ago at dinner. Is there a problem?”

“Hi Dad, it’s good to see you. I wanted you to meet the love of my life and see if you could help him out with something that he found out about this morning,” Rob explained, walking over to the chairs that were in front of the desk that his dad was sitting behind. Rob motioned for David to sit down, and then Rob set next to him. “Dad, this is David.”

“It is nice to finally meet the man that captured my son’s heart. We will have to have dinner one night this next week so we can get to know each other better. Even with what Rob has told me about you, I would like to get to know you. Now with that taken care of, what can I do for you two?” Rob’s father Heath said after sitting down and shaking David’s hand.

“Dad, David’s family has been hiding something from him since his grandparents passed away. He found out this morning, by accident, that his grandparents left a will with his name in it, and some money is involved.”

“Rob, let me talk to David alone. Go sit outside with Mary, please.”

“Sir, with all due respect, I would like Rob to stay here with me. I have nothing to hide from him. We will be living together and he already knows as much as I do, and I would tell him everything anyway, so he stays or I leave.”

“Ok, he can stay. Tell me David, what you need help with then?” Heath looked over at Rob giving him a little smile and a nod.

“This is all I know so far. I saw an envelope on my kitchen counter that had both my brother’s and my name on it. After I read the letter inside the envelope, I went into my brother’s room to see if there were any others. I found these papers in my brother’s room. They are documents from a lawyer by the name of Harrison. We went over to his office this morning but I couldn’t get in to see him. Rob brought me here to see if you could help me figure out what is going on. My parents and brother have not said anything to me about any will or money from my grandparents. They have been keeping this from me and I don’t know why,” David told Heath this then looked at Rob.

“Rob, did you grab the papers?”

Rob handed the copies over to his dad. Heath looked at them one by one.

“David, these are statements to show what is happening to money that is in a trust for, it looks like you and your brother. As of this statement, dated the first of the month, you have $74,960 in an account that this lawyer, set up in your name. Your brother has a lot more, but I see in previous months that somebody has been making withdrawals from your brother’s account. Your account has had no activity in months as far as I can see. You say you didn’t know about this?”

“No, I didn’t know. I have been saving as much as I can for the last nine months, so I could afford my own place. I live with my brother right now. He hasn’t said anything to me about this, nor has my parents.”

“Well, why don’t we call this bank and see what we can find out. I will put you on speaker so I can hear what they are saying to you. Rob and I will not say anything, so they will not know we are listening. I want you to ask, what the balance is right now, what is the process of making a withdrawal, and if there are any tax ramifications or extra fees associated with making withdrawals. Now if they say that they can’t tell you any of this over the phone, then tell them you would like to make an appointment today with the head manager of the bank. Ok, and watch me because I may be writing things down if I want you to ask anything else.”

“Ok, go for it. I want to know what is going on right now.”

Heath dialed the number for the bank that was listed on the statements. A woman answered the phone. “Bank One, this is Amanda, how may I help you?”

“Amanda, my name is David Andrews, I would like to check on my account.”

“Ok, I would be happy to help you. Do you have your account number?”

“Yes I do, it is ###########.”

“What is the last four of your social security number?”

“####.”

“Ok, now what can I help you with?”

“Can I have the balance, please?”

“Yes, the balance is $75,094.”

“Ok, thank you. Now can you tell me what the process is for making a withdrawal, since this is in a trust?”

“Sir, all you have to do is come into the nearest branch and sign a withdrawal slip. It shows here that when you turned twenty-five…mmm…let’s see, eight months ago, this account has been available to you.”

“Oh, ok, so all I have to do is come in and make a withdrawal, good, and thank you for your help.”

“Yes, just have your ID to prove that it is you and you will be fine.”

“Thank you very much for your help.”

“You are welcome.”

“Bye.” David looked at Rob then Heath. “That was weird.”

“No David, what is not right is what has been kept from you. Now my advice would be, go to this bank and get a cashier’s check for $75,050, leave in the $44.00 dollars just to keep the account open. Then go to another bank, open up an account, and deposit that check into it. The reason I’m telling you this is because whoever is behind all this, still has access to your account. Then you would be fighting them in the courts to get your money back. When you get that done come back here and I will clear my appointments and we will get to the bottom of all this. But right now go get that money moved.”

“Ok, I have my account at Bank of America, I will move it there. Rob, will you take me since my truck is at your place?”

“Yep, let’s go. Thanks Dad, we will be back when we get his money moved.”

“Ok, and I will do some work here to see what I can find out. David, here is the account number.” Heath handed David a piece of paper with the account number on it and the amount in the account. “David, walk in there like there is nothing wrong. If they question you about that large of a withdrawal, just tell them you are putting all of your resources into one account, but you did not want to close out this account just yet. Have them put the cashier’s check in your name only; there should be no other name on it. Also, ask if you can have a detailed statement from them since the date this account has been opened, for tax purposes. That way we can see for sure that there has been no activity on the account. Plus it will tell us what the opening balance was. And who has been paying the taxes on this account.”

“Ok, we will be back as soon as possible. Thanks for all the help on this.” David got up and shook Heath’s hand. Turning to Rob he asked. “Ready to go?”

“Yes. Thanks Dad. See ya in a bit.”

“Ok, son. David we will get to the bottom of this.”

“Ok.”

 

 

 

 

 

As the author, I take final responsibility for all parts of the story, including any errors.

Copyright © 2015 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The plot thickens. I wonder what David's family is going to think when they discover the money is gone.

Link to comment
On 04/08/2014 08:07 PM, DynoReads said:
The plot thickens. I wonder what David's family is going to think when they discover the money is gone.
That will be revealed later in the story, keep reading to find out. Thank you for reading the start of the story. More to come soon.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..