Jump to content
    ShadowDancer
  • Author
  • 2,815 Words
  • 1,734 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You Can't Buy Love - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter 6

 

An hour later, they were laying there on the bed just cuddling when Rob’s cell phone started ringing. Rob looked over to see who it was. “It’s Dad.” Rob answered the phone.

“Hi, Dad…Ya, he is right here…sure….why, is something wrong?...ok…we will be there in a bit.” Rob hung up looking at David. “He wants us to come to the office now instead of at four.”

“Did he say why?”

“No, let’s get up, make ourselves presentable and go find out what is going on,” Rob said getting up. They got redressed and left the apartment heading over to Heath’s office.

When Rob and David got to Heath’s office Mary was not at her desk, but Heath’s office door was open so Rob and David walked over looking in and saw Heath was talking on the phone. Heath motioned them in pointing to the chairs. They walked in and sat down. Rob was wondering who his dad was talking to, when he heard David’s name mentioned. Rob reached over and took ahold of David’s hand giving it a light squeeze. David turned his head smiling at Rob.

Heath hung up the phone. “Ok, that was Bill letting me know what he found out about Mr. Harrison. Come to find out Mr. Harrison moved here from Utah about three years ago. He is a probate lawyer, not married, no kids. But what Bill couldn’t find was his license to practice law. He went through all his resources and couldn’t find his name anywhere. I wanted you two to come back early because we need to make a summary of everything that we have found. This way when we get to the D.A’s office we will not forget anything. I will type it out here in the computer then print out a copy for each of us to have. David, start from the time you found the statements and we will go from there,” Heath said looking at David.

After Heath, David, and Rob went over everything that transpired since David found the bank statements, Heath printed out copies for each of them. They all looked at the list to see if they had forgotten anything.

“This looks good to me except the amounts are not on here,” David said.

“Ok, let me add them,” Heath said going back in the computer to add them. “David, you and Rob add and subtract the figures to make sure they are all correct and I will do the same. That way if we all come up with same amount we got it right.”

Heath handed David and Rob some blank paper. They all looked at the papers to get the right figures.

David started writing, $75,000 plus $75,000 from each will is $150,000. Bank as of today was $75,094, statements show $22,529 in interest, and $97,435 in withdrawals. Sally withdrew $23,000 and that thieving lawyer withdrew $74,435. David added the money from both wills plus the interest, then subtracted the withdrawals and came up with what was in the bank today, which came out right. When he got done he put his piece of paper on Heath’s desk.

Heath looked at all three papers when Rob was done and compared them and saw they all three had the same amounts. “Ok, they all match. I will add the amounts to the list and print it out again.” Heath typed them in and printed the list again handing copies to David and Rob.

David looked the list over again and everything was there. “This looks ok now. What are the chances of me getting the money back?”

“David, to be honest with you, it will be slim to none. I have seen in the past that the people that do this kind of thing, they spend the money right away or hide it in an off-shore account. There are some stupid ones out there but it could still be slim on you getting the money back. I hope for your sake this lawyer is one of the stupid ones. He didn’t cover his tracks very well and his name, plus your cousin’s name, is on everything we have found. What I’m thinking is, let’s turn this all over to the district attorney and see what he can do for you.”

David had a frown on his face. “Ok, thanks for being honest with me at least. I just hope my parents and brother had nothing to do with the money that is missing.” David looked at Rob.

“Babe, let’s go turn this all over to the D.A. and see what he can do and then let him find out if your parents and brother had anything to do with this. We already know Jack was hiding this from you so let’s just wait to see what we find out.” Rob stood up and took David’s hand having him stand up, and giving him a hug. “I love you. Dad and I will help you get through this.” Rob gave David a kiss on the cheek then looked at his dad. “You ready to go? It’s almost four now.”

“Let me grab my case and we can head out.” Heath made sure he had everything. The three of them walked out the door. Heath got in his car and Rob and David climbed in Rob’s truck and headed over to the courthouse.

When they reached the courthouse, the D.A. was waiting for them. “Hi Heath, it’s good to see you again.”

“You too, Eric.”

“Let’s go into the conference room where we can talk.” Mr. Sanchez took them all into the conference room, which held a big long table and some comfortable chairs.

“Everybody take a seat. My name is Eric Sanchez and I’m the District Attorney for Sacramento County,” Eric said introducing himself to Rob and David. He turned to Heath. “Heath, you called and wanted me to meet with Mr. Andrews.”

“Yes I did, Eric. This is David Andrews and his partner, my son Rob. David came to me this morning about…..” Heath explained to Eric what had transpired since David had found the statements in his apartment.

“David, do you know why your parents and brother would have kept this inheritance from you, knowing that when you turned twenty five you would have been notified from the bank about this account?” Eric asked looking over at David.

“That is what’s confusing me about all this. The bank didn’t notify me about the account. I found out about it by seeing a statement on the kitchen counter at my apartment. I’m not sure, but I think my brother might have been in a hurry and forgot it was there. We had a fight last night and I left the apartment and didn’t go back till this morning to change for work. That is when I found the statement on the counter, and then found more of them in my brother’s room. When my grandparents’ wills were read I was not present at the reading, I didn’t even know about the reading. My parent’s never told me and I was at a conference when this all happened. I had to come back for the funerals and then had to leave right after them to finish with the conference. I never was told about any of this. I don’t know what my parents or brothers role is in all this but I would like to find out.”

Eric looked at Heath. “How much are we talking about here?”

“It is almost one hundred grand. I had David move the balance to another account so it would not disappear. He moved right at $75,050 and I had him leave enough in there to just have the account remain open. I have copies of everything here for you to look at.” Heath handed over all the copies to Eric.

Eric looked over all the papers. “Ok David, what I want you to do is let me and my assistant look these over and do some digging into this and see what we can find for you. I think we might have a bigger problem. These names are just popping out at me for some reason. Let me do some checking on this and when I find out anything I will call Mr. Jensen, since I believe he is your attorney.” Eric looked at Heath seeing him nod his head yes. “Then we can sit and talk some more. What I want from you right now is not to say anything to your family yet. The reason I’m saying this is to let us find out all the people involved first. Then you will know who you can trust. As of right now, I see your parents and brother having knowledge of this since your father was the trustee.” Eric said.

“Ok, I’m fine with that. I have already asked Mr. Jensen this, but can you tell me what my chances are in getting this money back. I know I will not see any back from Sally, with the drugs that I know she does but the lawyer should have to pay it back to me somehow.” David asked.

“I will see what I can do for you on that. Let’s just hope we can get to the core of this before this lawyer gets knowledge of you knowing about this. To be honest, he could skip town and then that is a whole new ball of wax on our part. Let us do some checking and I will be in touch.” Eric got up and shook their hands.

The three of them walked outside going to their cars. “Hey you two, I need to get back to the office. Why don’t you come have dinner with me tonight at the house?” Heath asked.

“That would be great Dad, thanks.” Rob told his dad then turned and looked at David. “Would that be ok with you, David?”

“Sure, that would be good. Let’s head to your apartment and relax for a bit. I think I need a nap to see if this headache I have will go away,” David said smiling.

“David, if you don’t feel up to coming over we can do dinner another night. That is not a problem,” Heath said.

“No, we will be there Heath, I just need to lay down for a bit and my headache will go away. It has just been a rough day taking in everything that has happened.” David said. “So what time do you want us to be there?” David asked with a smile.

“David, get some rest. Rob, call me when David wakes up and if he is feeling better come on over about seven. David, if you still have a headache we can plan this for another day. Don’t worry about it. I will call if the D.A. contacts me,” Heath said and walked over to his car to go back to his office.

David and Rob walked over to the truck. “David, have you eaten anything except what little we had at lunch today? Maybe that is why you have a headache. I know I could eat something right now. I can call Dad when we get to the apartment and set up another day to have dinner with him.”

“No, I didn’t eat this morning, didn’t have time after I changed clothes and was not thinking of eating when I found those papers. I could eat myself if you want to get something now, or I could wait, which is fine with me. I just want to lay down and relax for a while,” David said getting in the truck.

After Rob got behind the wheel, he looked over at David to see if he was all right. “David, let’s pick something up at Carol’s and take it home. That way you can eat and then lay down.”

“That sounds really good to me. I need to call Jack; he has been texting me all day. I just don’t know what to say to him right now,” David said leaning back, closing his eyes.

Rob started the truck and started driving. “Why didn’t you tell me Jack had been texting you?”

“I had my phone on silent today, so it would not go off while we all were talking. I just looked a little bit ago to make sure I didn’t get any calls from work and that’s when saw them. I didn’t want to say anything in front of your dad about them. I wanted to tell you in private.” David looked over at Rob, and laid his hand on Rob’s leg smiling. “We can go through them together when we get home, ok?”

“Sure, that’s fine. Hope he doesn’t cause too much shit with us, when he finds out that we are partners. I would to have to kick his ass then, but in a way I would love to do it anyways. It would serve him right for what he has put you through and lying to the both of us.” Rob pulled into Carol’s drive-thru and ordered them both something to eat. “Hey babe, here is something to drink and I think there is some Aleve in the glove-box. Grab one or two and take it and maybe your headache will lighten up a little.” Rob handed David his Dr Pepper.

David found the bottle of Aleve and took two, laying his head back down. “Thanks babe, I love you.”

“I love you too, hun. Just relax and we will be home in a bit.”

Rob had to wake up David when he pulled into his parking spot. “Hey sweets, we are home. Let’s go inside and eat, then you can lay on the bed for an hour or so. If you sleep too long you won’t sleep tonight and then you will feel like crap at work tomorrow.”

They went in and ate their dinner. David went and laid down and Rob called his dad.

“Hi Dad…he is laying down…I stopped and got him something to eat, we both had a light lunch and David did not eat breakfast…ya, I think that is why he had a headache, along with all the other crap that happened today…ya, let’s try this weekend, neither one of us will be working over weekend so that might be better…ok, ya, we are just staying in tonight…I know, I have to call Russ to see how everything went today since I was a no-show…no, he could handle it if anything came up otherwise he would have called you or me…no, David does not know yet…I am going to tell him this weekend…no I don’t think it will be a problem…I know, I will tell him and then I want to sit down and talk to you about something I have been planning for a couple months now…ya, I want your opinion on it…ok I will talk to you tomorrow…love you too, goodnight.” Rob hung up the phone. He got up from the couch and turned and saw David standing there with a frown on his face. “Hey, you ok, babe?”

David heard Rob’s last bit of the conversation on the phone. “Who were you talking to?”

“It was Dad, had to let him know that we were not coming for dinner,” Rob said walking over to David, knowing that he heard what he said to his dad.

“What don’t I know that you were going to tell me this weekend, and what have you had planned for a couple months? Rob, I can’t take anymore lies and people thinking it is none of my business when it has something to do with me. I think before we go any further you had better tell me what you have been keeping from me.” David had tears rolling down his cheeks by the time he got done talking.

“Babe, let’s sit down. I will tell you what is going on. It’s not bad at all, it is just something my dad and I don’t want a lot of people to know about. I was going to sit down and talk to you about it this weekend but I think we need to talk now since you are upset about it. But the second part I’m not telling you about it till the time is right.” Rob got David to sit down and pulled David into a hug and kissed his forehead. He put his finger under David’s chin lifting his head making David look at him. “David, I love you so much, I would never keep anything from you, to hurt you in any way. What I have not told you is……..

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the author, I take final responsibility for all parts of the story, including any errors.

Copyright © 2015 ShadowDancer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What I have not told you is...OMG...NOOOOOO!!! I love this story and now I have to wait for the next chapter!!!

Link to comment
On 04/22/2014 09:31 PM, Gene63 said:
What I have not told you is...OMG...NOOOOOO!!! I love this story and now I have to wait for the next chapter!!!
Yep you do. LoL. It will be posted on Sunday for you to read. Thank you for reading and sticking with the story, a lot more chapters to come.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..