Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cid (working title) - 2. Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

 

The next day was a new opportunity; a new wish and a prayer that things would go ok. Cid didn’t really want to make too many new friends here, he liked the ones that he’d had for years. Change wasn’t something that he liked, and avoided at all costs.

So far he was having all the luck of a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest in that department. First the fiery redhead and then the creepyass strawberry blond in the lunchroom. He made a strong, bolded, highlighted and all caps mental note to avoid redheaded males from now on.

Today was a shorter class day at least. English. Not his favorite topic, but one he could handle. The other students seemed engaged and he only piped up when he had a question that none of them could ever think of one their own. They were all too busy playing with their cell phones in-between sentences.

Cid refused to own a smartphone. He hated seeing how supposedly smart kids were turned into virtual zombies and get into more drama than they knew how to handle.

He sighed and rubbed his eyes. Last night he was up late working on a new sketch. Maybe 2 o’clock wasn’t a good bedtime when you had a 9 o’clock class the next day.

“Up too late?” a voice asked next to him.

Lovely. Why do all these kids talk to me?

“Yup.” Was his eloquent reply. He snuck a look at the speaker and was pleased that he wasn’t a redhead right off the bat. Actually, he wasn’t bad looking. In fact, he looked probably the most normal of anyone else he’d seen there before. He wore sneakers, blue jeans, and a blue tee with a band logo on it; one he’d heard of but not listened to before. He was pale, but had a blush to his cheeks. His hair was longer, almost to his jawline; which was squared and strong. His eyes…Cid couldn’t tell yet, but he felt an odd desire to find out what it was.

A hand jutted out by his side. “I’m Billy.”

Cid regarded the hand as if it were a foreign object. Who the hell shakes hands in college besides the professors?

“Uh, hi.” He answered back and stared at the offered hand. “You shake hands with everyone you meet?”

Billy cocked a brow. “Well, yeah. I’m a business major. They always tell us a good handshake is key.”

A business student. Interesting.

Not wanting to overthink it and leave the guy hanging, Cid offered his hand back and they exchanged a good, firm handshake.

“Nice.” Billy replied.

“Huh?” Cid asked, his cheeks flushed.

“Handshake. You have a really good one.”

“Oh.” He nearly choked. “Thanks. So do you.”

“Thanks.” Billy smiled at him. “So, what’s your name? I told you mine.”

Oy. Cid felt his cheeks flame. “Cid.” Contrite and true at the same time.

“Nice.” Billy replied.

“Yeah, I thought so.” Cid quipped.

A wide grin was on Billy’s lips and his eyes…his blue eyes were beaming. “You’re funny, dude.”

“Just wait and see. I’m the life of the party.” Cid spit out, not even knowing what he was saying. He was about the most antisocial person he’d ever met. But something about this kid got to him. Shit. Was he actually feeling a tough less tense than before class? Nah. Couldn’t be.

“I bet.” Billy responded before he tucked his hair behind his ear and twirled his pen. “Guess we gotta get back to concentrating huh?”

Cid nodded. It seemed best not to speak anymore right now. He felt a lump in his throat and gripped the side of his notebook. He began to doodle quickly and found his ability to focus on the professor just a little harder to do.

When class was finished, Billy hung around for a moment to let the hordes of others rush the doors.

“Hey.”

Cid closed his notebook quickly. “Hey.”

“You got class now?”

Great English. “Yeah, I’ve got one more then I’m off the rest of today.” Why’d I tell him that?

“Cool. I’ve got business law next; it’s kinda cool, yet a snoozefest if you’ve been up too late.” He rolled his eyes. Those gorgeous eyes. Cid had made that color in his paintings; usually the sky, or water. He loved water.

“I bet. Yeah, I need to nap, that’s for sure. Or get a huge espresso.”

Billy’s eyes widened. “Hey, there’s a thought…”

Oh shit.

“Maybe sometime we could…”

Cid felt his throat all but close shut. The tension was back and it was sky high!

“I’m busy, dude. Sorry.” He spat out and quickly left the room. He nearly forgot his notebook, which flipped open to reveal the drawings he’d done during class. There was a highly stylized “B” drawn that he hurried to cover up.

“But…” Billy stammered. “Whatever.” He stormed off before Cid could say anything else.

* * * *

Lunchtime at last! Cid scoped out the fare today; it didn’t look as awful as yesterday’s, but it still wasn’t up to what his appetite was pining for. Oh well, just one more thing to fix when he had the time.

He chose the California club and a side of sweet potato fries. Most people turned up their noses at them; but he craved the sweet spuds.

After he scanned the room for an empty spot, he was relieved to find one on the opposite side of where he was yesterday when that freak found him. A sudden shudder went through his body and he wondered if that guy was here again today. Maybe? Hopefully not? Could he be part-time oh please?

He shook his head and admonished himself for being a scared little girl.

Get a grip Cid. He’s just an ass, don’t worry about him. Think about the mountain of homework you’ve got due!

Sated, he sat down at the table and dove into his lunch.

Not two minutes later, a pair of pale hands appeared on the chair opposite him. His breath hitched and he glanced up slowly, a piece at a time, hoping it wasn’t who he never wanted to see again.

“Mind if I join you?”

It was Billy.

Cid shut his eyes and let out a slow, measured breath. “Holy crap.”

“Is that a yes?” Billy jibed.

“Fine. Yeah. Have a seat I guess.”

Not the warmest invitation, but at least he didn’t tell him to fuck off.

They ate in silence for a long moment and Cid eyes what his classmate has bought; a grilled cheese with a side of tomato soup. He remembered his foster parents would make that from time to time and it almost made him smile; at least the food was good. The couple assigned to him? Not so much.

“Good soup today.” Billy commented as he slowly slurped the viscous liquid.

Cid was mesmerized by Billy’s long, pinkish lips puckering and opening to let the soup inside. They looked soft, and sweet. How he missed kissing…but it’d been too long now; he hated to even want to try again. At the moment, however, that was becoming all too difficult to ponder.

“You like your fries?” Billy asked.

“Huh?” Cid was startled out of his mental fantasy. “Oh. Yeah. They’re good. Ever try them?”

“Yeah I have. Hey…about earlier. I’m sorry.”

Cid raised his brows. “You are? For what?”

“For coming on too strong. I guess…I felt a vibe between us. I guess us having lunch together kinda makes up for it though, huh?” his cheeks pinked and he bowed his head. Good Lord, the guy was nervous as all hell. His hand went to his neck and his posture slumped.

“Chill, dude.” Cid started. “I’m the one that went ballistic. Relax, okay? You didn’t do anything wrong.”

Billy’s lake eyes looked up. “I didn’t?” He sounded so young and sweet. Cid felt an urge he’d not felt in eons; to hug someone.

“No way. I’m the jerkwad. You’re not.”

A bright smile flashed on those lips and Billy locked eyes with him. “Oh, wow! Are…are those real?”

Cid went mute. “W…What?” he managed to stammer.

“Your eyes. Omigod. I thought only Elizabeth Taylor had eyes like that.”

The room temperature either rose 15 degrees in that second or Cid’s cheeks were on fire. He reached for an ice cube from his drink and gathered some cold water on his fingers.

“I…” he honestly hadn’t had that reaction to his eyes before. “Thanks. I love purple.”

Truth be told, they were colored contacts, but Billy seemed smitten with them. Almost as much as he was with Billy’s eyes.

“Me too.”

“Blue is my favorite color.” Cid offered and he swallowed quickly.

Billy grinned.

Thankfully, their hunger took over, because both young men finished wolfing down their lunches.

“I gotta go do my homework now.” Cid informed him, with a melancholic note to his voice. For once he didn’t want to leave.

“Bummer. I’ve got one more class after this then back to the dorms.”

“Bummer.” Cid parroted. “Hey, listen…about that coffee? I’ve got a coffeemaker in my room; if you want some, that is.”

What the hell was he doing? Not only talking to someone but almost telling him where he lived?

“Cool. I’ll see what shape I’m in later, okay?”

Ok, that was fair; Cid flipped out earlier at the invite, now Billy was being cautious.

“Can we text?” Billy asked, presenting his smartphone.

Shit. Cid nodded. “Um, well you can try. I don’t have a phone like that, but it can get texts.” He held out his ancient ‘dumb’ phone. “I don’t like that types of phones.”

Billy looked amused. “It’s cool. I’m way too addicted to it. You’re awesome for bucking the system.”

Cid almost smiled. Almost! But his doors were about to come down as he felt his fears build. “I gotta go, okay? I’ll see you in class Thursday.”

“Wait…I thought we were gonna…” Billy stopped mid-sentence. “Nevermind. I’m way too over the top. I’ll see you then.” he tucked his phone back into his backpack and walked off quickly down the hallway.

Awesome job, asshole. Idiot.

Cid curled his fist and punched his backpack before he went back to his dorm where he sat and moped for over two hours before doing absolutely anything productive.

Copyright © 2018 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Gosh Cid has more issues than an encyclopedia has topics , I’m sure they’re grounded in reason though. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, deville said:

Gosh Cid has more issues than an encyclopedia has topics , I’m sure they’re grounded in reason though. 

Oh he's had a time of it for sure, I'll expand on why later in the story

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nice start to the story.  Can't wait to find out what makes Cid tick.  There seems to be a whole host of issues, but I hope he can get through them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, glennish said:

Nice start to the story.  Can't wait to find out what makes Cid tick.  There seems to be a whole host of issues, but I hope he can get through them.

Thank you :)  He has a lot inside that makes him tick for sure. Maybe Billy can help...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..