Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cid (working title) - 10. Chapter 10

CHAPTER TEN

Billy’s POV

Christmastime was always Billy’s favorite time of year. His parents and sister were just as into the holiday as he was, luckily. The house was decorated to the hilt! A huge 10-foot tree trimmed with ribbons, ornaments, lights, angels, and even flocked doves made the living room seem huge and smaller all at the same time. Thank goodness for vaulted ceilings!

Underneath was a large pile of presents, some in bags, some in boxes with elaborate foil paper and bows. Others were cards that awaited their opening a week from now.

Billy couldn’t wait. He never could be patient around this time. He and his sister would sneak out and try to peek inside the boxes without disturbing too much of the paper. Ah, good times.

This year was different. He was a college man of 18. His sister had just turned 16 and was the pride of the school and the Shultz name. His parents were the picture of suburbia. Dad worked, Mom stayed home, and both were the best people he knew. He looked up to them and wanted what they had. A home, a marriage, a life, and of course, two awesome kids.

He sat in the living room right by the fireplace and started up a small blaze. It was comforting to soak up all the sights and smells of this house. His eyes took in the greenery strung across the bricks and the photos up on the mantle. All around the rest of the room was green garland, lights, and bright and cherry Christmas décor. Everything in red, green, and gold. He sighed and wished Cid was with him.

It’d been two whole days since they got home and he’d been the only one to send a text that said he’d gotten home safely and he hoped Cid had too. The other dozen texts were from Frank, hoping Billy would get home safely, to enjoy the holiday, to soak up family, etc, etc.

Why was this so hard? Why? Billy couldn’t fathom why Cid was such an ass to him and Frank seemed…concerned? Or was he pushy? Shit, he didn’t know anymore.

“Hey, started a nice fire there.” His dad walked in and sat down beside him and handed him a cup of apple cider.

“Ahhh. Thanks, Dad. Yeah. It was a little chilly in here so I figured why not.” He sipped at the warm cider and let it warm him on the inside.

“School going ok?” his dad asked.

“Yeah. Pretty sure I aced all my finals. Business class especially. Still having a little issue with history, but that’s not my major anyway.”

“True, but you’ve got to do your best. You did great in high school; college is a new game entirely.”

That was true. In high school, Billy could focus on his studied. He was what his mom called a ‘late bloomer’ with romance. No one caught his eye. He didn’t go to any dances or blind dates. Nothing. Now…his attractions to men had awoken and only one man held that fascination for him. He almost wished he didn’t.

“Yeah, it’s a game alright.” He muttered.

His Dad adjusted his glasses. “Oh? Someone finally catch your eye? A young man?”

Billy had told his parents at 16 he was attracted to boys, but he never had the nerve to approach one. At least they were supportive of him being gay.

“Mostly young I guess.” He smirked. “He’s 26. His name is Cid Walker.”

“Hmmm, well that’s not too bad I suppose. Over 30 and we’d have to talk. What’s he like?”

“He’s…” Billy traced his finger around the rim of his mug. How could he explain Cid when he barely knew anything himself? “An artist.”

“Is that his major?” his dad asked in a low tone. His Dad didn’t see art as a way to make money, he never had.

“Yeah. He’s really great at it though. We talked about camping once and the next thing I knew he’d painted a whole campsite scene.” His words wandered off as he thought about the painting wistfully. He wished he could wisk Cid away and go camping.

“Is that all you know about him?”

Billy hesitated. “No…he’s…” shit. He didn’t really know much about him at all. “He likes to eat healthy.”

“Oh, well that’s a little tough nowadays, huh? With the cafeteria right there. Where’s Cid from?”

He didn’t know that either. Ughhhh this was agonizing.

“I don’t know. He’s from a small town I think. I don’t really know him that well yet, dad.” Not like Cid will let me know him. I do the vast majority of the talking. “He likes coffee.”

Mr. Shultz put down his mug on a cork coaster on the end table beside him. He had an expression that Billy knew all too well. Those pursed lips, that disapproving stare, and the silence. The silence was always the worst.

“Well. Maybe you can try to get to know him better.” He offered.

Billy rolled his eyes and let out a snarl. “I’ve been trying to get to know him, but he won’t let me!” he blasted back, making his father’s eyes widen. “He’s kinda a jerk I guess…or just way too guarded. Something bad happened to him to make him like that I just know it.” He’d defend that to the end.

“Or, he isn’t interested at all.”

That sobering thought had occurred to Billy about 100 times in the past two days. “He says I’m too nice for him.”

“I think that you’re too green for dating someone that much older and more experienced.”

“But…” Billy had to really consider the thought. Cid was much older and had obviously been with someone before. Billy had never even kissed anyone yet. “Yeah. I guess I didn’t do myself any favors by not dating anyone at all huh?” he kicked himself internally for that error.

“Son…”

Oh crap. Here it comes.

“Yes?” Billy cringed.

“Is there anyone else that has caught your eye or tried to be a friend? Anyone? A girl maybe or a boy?”

Part of Billy wondered if his folks were really ok with him being gay. Not like they had a choice; but he knew they loved tradition too.

“I, yeah. There’s this other guy I hang out with sometimes. His name is Frank Vale.”

His father picked up his mug and took a long sip and sat back on the sofa. “What’s he like? I hope you know more about him than this Cid fellow.”

Admittedly, he did. He knew a lot more already. It told him just how guarded Cid was and getting any info on him required either pulling teeth, threats, crying, etc. It was not healthy.

“Yeah, he’s from Pennsylvania originally, but moved here when he was a kid. He’s a decent student, we share a couple of classes together.”

“What’s his major?”

“Business, like me.”

“Hmm. So a lot in common with just that. What’s he like?”

“I…he’s nice. Funny. He sends me funny texts a lot or pictures on FaceBook. He’s an only child too.”

“Is he interested in you?”

Wow, that was an odd question right now. Billy would leap through a window for Cid. But Frank? Nothing against the guy, he was hot too. Hazel eyes, tall, brown wavy hair, nice build. But Cid’s lilac locks, don’t-fuck-with-me attitude, and art ability really turned him on.

“I don’t think so. So far no one is.” He mumbled.

“So are they stringing you along?”

“I…” he had to someone admit and yet not reveal that Cid said they could be official by springtime. But that seemed eons away and an impossible feat.

“Hey, are you interrogating him without his mother present?”

Mom! Oh thank God.

She sat on the back of the sofa and hugged Billy around his shoulder. “Is he giving you the third degree again?”

Billy held her arms close. “He was getting there.” He ratted out his father.

“I’m simply interested in who our son is hanging around with. A parent worries, dear.” He gave his wife puppydog eyes and she laughed.

“Oh, George! You have such wonderful intentions but such awful methods.” She teased. “Billy is new to everything, let him explore a little!”

Way to go Mom!

“But dear, a 26 year old artist?”

“With lilac hair.” Billy added just to amp up the rebellious nature a little more.

“Oh dear.” His mother came around from behind the sofa and sat in the chair besides them. “What’s this character’s name?”

“Cid Walker.”

“Well…he sounds interesting. Is he treating you right? Do you know a lot about him? Is he gay too?”

Geeeez. This was the interrogation from Ozzie and Harriet.

“He’s ok, mom. I have another friend too named Frank Vale.”

“Oh! Two young men. I hope he’s your age?”

“Yes, he’s 18.” He sputtered.

“Good. You need someone your own age and just as shy as you are. You’re in the real world now, honey. You must be careful who you talk to!”

Billy just wanted to run right now. He’d wished he’d never mentioned either of them. It was time to wriggle his way out just like he had every time these two had him pinned down.

“I’m gonna head out for a while, ok? I’ll be at the library.”

His mother sighed. “Oh, Billy. We love you, dear. We just want what’s best for you. You’re a naïve young man, darling. You could easily get swept up into something you don’t understand.”

He stood and felt his temperature rise. “I’m 18 years old, mom! I’m not a child anymore. I can hang out with freaky artists all I like!”

With that, he ran from the room and into his bedroom. He locked the door and kept vigil on his phone, praying, hoping, to hear from Cid.

Copyright © 2018 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Billy’s parents were able to get through, in a way Cid and Frank were not. Frank would be a better fit. That family is a little too much (Leave it to Beaver). For my taste anyways.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

Billy’s parents were able to get through, in a way Cid and Frank were not. Frank would be a better fit. That family is a little too much (Leave it to Beaver). For my taste anyways.

Lol I watched that show a lot plus I grew up in a 'nuclear' family. Parents have a way of getting what we don't want to say out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I want to smack both of them and yank them by the ear and tell them to sit down and talk to each other!  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well that was some interrogation from Billy's family.  Maybe he should have just told them he was having dirty monkey sex with all kinds of boys on campus instead of having a Frank vs Cid debate with them.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Well both Cid and Billy have now had the talk , hope the outcome and conclusions they come to are what they both need . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmm not sure what I think about that. Can a gay guy not have straight male friends, or even gay friends who don't have to be boyfriends? Why is Billy's father automatically pairing him up with Frank, just because he does business and Billy knows more about him than he does about Cyd? At no point did Billy suggest that Frank was anything more than a friend yes his father immediately jumped on it. Okay there are a few signs that Frank might like Billy as more than a friend but nothing has sparked there. Billy's an idiot and from seeing his parents it's obvious where he gets it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..