Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy; The Friends - 1. Chapter 1

Chapter One

Jake’s POV

Firepits were a wonderful thing. On a cool autumn evening, Jake was seated as close as he could get to the open, jumping flames. His mind was awash with the last three months; mostly relationship items, but some business stuff too. His green eyes looked up and he had to glance at all who was still there.

Brett, Sam, and Colby. Holy shit it almost hurt to look at Colby anymore. His heart was tied to the young man so strongly; but it didn’t seem to be returned. Despite everything he’d tried and said, they still weren’t where he wanted them to be in their relationship.

But it was all too much to think about right now. He was playing host again to a dinner party where he’d fired up the grill and been the entertaining host. He could keep up the façade for as long as he had to; but that dam would burst sometime.

That’s what he was most afraid of.

“Hey, earth to Jake.” Brett teased as he put down his mug. “Dude, we wearing out our host?”

Jake had to laugh at Brett’s words and his personality. He loved having those guys as neighbors and as friends. They were the best. For all his snobby upbringing, Brett was very down to earth and so was Sam; despite the fame that still followed him. They’d made it through the tough times together and Jake couldn’t help but be very jealous of them.

He shook his head and gave Brett a smirk. “I’m an old man, Brett. I wear out easily.” He teased. Jake no more believed he was old, he was only 35, but lately he felt very stressed and admittedly a little wearier. But that all had to do with the other young man that sat by his side who was silently roasting marshmallows.

Sam groaned and rolled his eyes. “You are not old. Gimme a break.” He met Jake’s eyes, but only for a moment.

“I know, I know. Work is draggin’ me down a little.” He lied. He was so used to lying about things that he’d gotten used to it. After all, the more times you tell a lie, after a while it becomes truth, right? Jake stuck to that belief like glue right now.

“Things super busy?” Brett asked.

Jake nodded. “Yeah. Doing a lot of reno jobs right now. People are staying in their houses so they wanna make ‘em nice.” He glanced at Colby and then back at the other couple. “Fix up something broken so it’s nicer to stay in.”

The words reverberated in his head and he felt like he’d explode at any moment; but he couldn’t do it. Not here, and definitely not like this. Things weren’t terrible by any stretch, just not what he wanted.

Finally, the country boy spoke. “Ryan helping you out on that one?” he asked softly.

Jake nearly jumped at hearing his voice. He’d almost forgotten the sound of his boyfriend’s twang. He loved it and wanted the young man to talk more; but that just never happened.

“Uh, yeah. Yeah. He’s a good worker. He puts some of the others to shame.” He held up his mug of cider and sipped on it, hoping that’d be the only words Colby would say right now.

“Yep, damn good worker he is.” Brett agreed, piercing the tension in the air.

Feeling like a horrible host, Jake had to shake off this mood and focus on his guests. He’d always been the party guy, the wild one; but he didn’t feel like that at all anymore, at least not lately.

“More beer, anyone?”

Sam and Brett both nodded.

“Yeah, I could use something to spike this cider with for sure.” Sam teased. “You know us wild figure skaters.”

Jake glanced at Colby. “Anything for you?”

He was grateful that the young man only shook his head no. He took off for the kitchen to fill his guests order. When he returned, he handed them their beers and sat down by the fire again, cracking open his open fresh brew.

It seems he’d missed out on a couple of funny lines, as both Brett and Sam were laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Jake asked, desperate for some levity as he sat down again.

Brett laughed as he met Jake’s eyes. “Oh, we’re just talking about booze and how I’ve heard plenty of stories of the fame going to a skater’s head. He pointed to his husband. “Sam is one of the lucky ones. All he had was a creepy agent, some money hell with his father, but he had a supportive family too, and his man.”

“Hmm. True.” Sam cocked a brow and leaned on Brett’s shoulder. “I love having my man for sure.”

“I’m glad things didn’t go to your head or get your into too much trouble, Sam. You’re a good guy; stay that way.” Jake told his friends. He had to take a long swig of beer when his newlywed neighbors snuggled close and kissed a few times. How he wished Colby would do that; but he wouldn’t.

“Thanks.” Sam replied. “I know I’m lucky.”

“It’s good to have a decent man in your life.” Jake uttered quickly, his eyes skating over Colby again and feeling his stomach clench.

“Are you okay?” Sam asked. “You look like you’re gonna puke, Jake.”

Dammit he sure felt like it. But not in the fire and not while they were here. Maybe later. It’d be a good feeling at least; to empty his stomach and just pass out in the bathroom again. He’d been drinking himself to that state for almost a week now. Of course, no one knew that, especially not Colby.

Hell, it beat crying his eyes out just to sleep. Alcohol at least made him feel nothing for a while; a feeling he much preferred.

“I’ve been fightin’ some sort of bug for sure.” He lied again. Lying was so easy now; it hadn’t ever been before.

Brett scooted his chair away. “Stay back, dude. I got enough students with sore throats and hacking up lungs. Why the hell their parents drop ‘em off for hockey practice is beyond me. I bench ‘em.”

Jake nodded. “Wise move. A sick player isn’t much help. It takes a team effort.” He had to shut his eyes for a second before he thought about how he felt like a team of one most of the time.

“I do the same thing with my students.” Sam interjected. “If they even look sick I don’t want them on the ice making it worse. That’s the only sucky part about teaching a cold sport.” He noted.

“Yeah, I bet it is. I was never much good on skates like that. I was more into baseball and wanted to play football, but was too skinny at the time.” He indicated his boyfriend. “I was a string bean like this one is.”

Colby’s eyes looked up and he smirked. “I got a fast metabolism. Can’t help that I’m skinny.” He seemed offended at being called so thin, was that it? Was it the nicknames? This was valuable feedback to Jake; since he got so little info it was all gold.

“I’m not saying it’s a bad thing.” He quickly covered. “I’m kinda jealous of your appetite. I used to be built just like you before I started pumping iron and eating a high protein diet. The older I got it was tough to stay thin. My dad is bigger than me.”

“I know. I met your dad.” Colby answered.

Why he’d introduced him to his parents seemed a mystery now; but he’d been euphoric at having such a hot young man in his life. His heart was tethered to this country boy for whatever reason. But it wasn’t returned.

Very anxious to stop talking to Colby, Jake turned to the other couple. “He and my mom have been over here a few times since you’ve lived here. You’ve met ‘em.”

Brett and Sam both nodded. Their eyes were full of curiosity and unspoken questions; likely ‘what the fuck is going on’? but no one would answer them. Not tonight.

“Yeah, they seem very cool.” Brett spat out just to break the scene. “Your sister too.”

Jake flinched at the mention of his sister, Miranda. She looked all too much like someone else that’d been in their lives… Amber.

The memories of that girl in these men’s lives still clearly haunted them; Colby most of all. But he’d been patient and understood the pain and the humiliation she’d caused him. At least he thought he had.

“She’s a nice lady.” Jake added as he finished off his beer. “Ahh. That hit the spot. Anyone up for something harder? I’ve got Jell-O shots in the fridge.”

Sam smiled and nodded. “Oooh, I’ll try one. Nothing too hard though.”

He was such a cutie. Jake smiled warmly at him. “I’ll give you a junior shot, Sam. You’re a little guy; don’t wanna tax your system too much.”

Jake went inside again and got two shots; one for Sam and one for himself. He handed one to his guest and with a clink of the plastic glasses, they both shot them down in a few seconds time.

Sam licked his lips. “Mmm! Strawberry. My favorite.” He shook a little. “I’m all tingly now, what was that?”

“Jack Daniels.” Jake replied, feeling very warm from his own drink. “Same as mine. It’s damn smooth isn’t it?” he licked his lips and wanted more and more of those shots.

“I loved it.” Sam admitted.

“Not too much now, baby. Lessons tomorrow.” Brett chimed in. “Not to be a party pooper, but I think we need to get going.”

Jake’s heart sunk. “So soon?” he whined. “Well, alright. I’ll let you two young marrieds get home and take each other to bed. Sam’s blood is all warmed up now just for you, Brett.” He teased.

Sam smiled. “All set for my hubby.” He joked, his steps were a little off-kilter. Wow, one shot did all that.

As he escorted them to their car, which Brett drove, he hugged each one goodbye.

“Take care, guys.”

Sam held onto him a little longer. “You too, Jake. It’ll be alright, okay? Things will get better.”

Jake nodded, feeling his emotions want to peek out; but he stuffed them back in.

“Take care, man.” Brett patted Jake’s shoulder and gave him a macho side hug.

Colby came out to say goodbye too. “Bye y’all.”

Sam hugged him too. “Bye, Colby. Take care, okay? Be better.”

Brett side-hugged his friend too. “Call me, bro. Anytime.”

Colby nodded to both of them and they climbed into their car and drove away.

Jake glanced down at his boyfriend and felt very alone.

“I… need to be goin’.” Colby spat out suddenly. “I could help ya clean up…”

“No.” Jake stopped him. “No, it’s alright. Go home, Colby. Please.”

Jake wanted to just scream at him and make him talk and have it out again; but his heart couldn’t take it. He was so in love with the country boy, but his feelings weren’t being returned. They hadn’t even shared a bed yet and as understanding and patient as Jake was; his desires were running so high that something had to happen soon. Anything would be great. But Colby would barely even kiss him anymore. He knew the end was near if things didn’t change and he couldn’t even bear the thought of breaking up with Colby. It broke his heart even more to consider it.

The tension was so thick between them that neither knew what to do; so without another word, Colby simply turned around and climbed into his car. A moment later, he was gone.

As for Jake, he went about his cleanup, squelched the fire, and grabbed about six Jell-O shots for his nightcap. Ah yeah, now the night would be good. Drinking himself into a stupor again would be nice. Nicer than dealing with the pain of losing Colby and his yet again broken heart.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lovely chapter, sad but lovely :*) Poor Jake! You aren´t letting Jake and Colby have an easy time :/ Jake needs to talk to Colby, tell how feels about him and hopefully Colby will tell that he feels the same.

One thing....don´t Brett and Sam live next door to Jake? Why they need a car to get home?

Link to comment
On 02/24/2014 03:33 PM, Suvitar said:
Lovely chapter, sad but lovely :*) Poor Jake! You aren´t letting Jake and Colby have an easy time :/ Jake needs to talk to Colby, tell how feels about him and hopefully Colby will tell that he feels the same.

One thing....don´t Brett and Sam live next door to Jake? Why they need a car to get home?

Thanks! Of course they can't have an easy go...not my style :) Agreed they need to talk, badly.

As for the neighbor thing; I think I have it to where the lots are a couple acres each...a long walk home, buzzed in the dark didn't seem wise.

Link to comment

Well you keep telling me Colbys a good kid he's not good enough for Jake he should go back to Amber . Jake needs someone to love him he must get very jealous of Brett and Sam

Link to comment
On 02/25/2014 08:07 AM, paul.b said:
Well you keep telling me Colbys a good kid he's not good enough for Jake he should go back to Amber . Jake needs someone to love him he must get very jealous of Brett and Sam
LOL...he's very confused and that makes good people go bad. He'll be redeemed...hold tight, my friend.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..