Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy; The Friends - 3. Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Sam’s POV

It’d been a long day at the rink. Between staff meetings, bratty kids who wouldn’t listen, and parents that drove him crazy; all Sam wanted to do was go home, get naked, and crawl into bed with his hot, naked husband and be caressed until he fell asleep.

But one glance at the driveway told him that his dream plan wouldn’t happen just yet. Jake’s car was in the driveway and he got a shock of worry through him. Part of it was irrational; Jake was a neighbor and they were all friends. But still, why wouldn’t Brett have texted him if they had company?

After shutting off the car, Sam checked his phone. The ice rink must’ve blocked the signal, because three texts popped up as soon as he turned it back on.

‘Jake upset.’

‘Jake coming over’

‘Miss you, love you, see you at home.’

Sam cursed under his breath. Stupid signal. Oh well, not like he cared that Jake was there; he was just whiny and tired. He walked into the house.

“Hey, there’s my man.” Brett greeted Sam warmly with a long kiss and embrace.

After the sweet hello, Sam glanced back at the kitchen table and saw that Jake looked like hell, even at a distance. He looked up into Brett’s eyes.

“What happened?”

Brett groaned. “Colby broke up with him today.”

A stab of pain went through Sam’s own heart as he remembered calling it quits with Brett. He knew damn well Jake loved Colby with all his heart and that this must be killing him.

“Oh, Brett. Omigod.” He covered his mouth and after shrugging off his skate bag and parka, he walked purposefully into the kitchen and approached their neighbor.

“Hey, Sam.” Jake’s usually bright eyes were very dull and bloodshot. He’d been hitting the sauce hard and he was sure tears followed. Jake was a passionate man, full of life; it was heartbreaking to see him like this.

Sam put his arms around his friend and hugged him tight. “I’m so sorry, Jake.”

Jake pulled away after a long hug and shrugged. “Not like I didn’t see it coming, but I was willing to hang on, ya know?”

Brett rejoined them and handed Sam a plate of the cheese and crackers they’d been sharing.

“Mmm, thanks. I’m starved.” He dove into the appetizer with vigor, but slowed to let his stomach adjust.

“When did this…?” Sam asked.

“Three hours ago.” Jake answered. “I couldn’t stand to be alone and Brett was home… I needed a shoulder.”

Brett rubbed his friend’s shoulder. “No problem, bud. I’m lucky it was a short work day, two of my kids called in sick.” He set a glass of water in front of Sam and refilled his own.

“Jake, I think Colby’s a fucking coward for what he did. He has feelings for you; he’s just petrified to face them.”

“I thought he had… at your wedding. You saw us. He kissed me and we danced… was it all a lie? After that things went so slow and I didn’t care if they did, but as long as we stuck it out. I’ve been nothing but a gentleman to him and he’s clammed up tight.” Jake sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, man.” Brett told him. “It’s his problem. Him and his memories or leftover feelings for that bloody bitch.”

Sam gasped, but he agreed with the description. “Amber.” He muttered.

“How do I fight that, guys? How do I get him to admit he has feelings for me and that it’s okay to show them? I mean, what the fuck?”

Jake sounded so exasperated and Sam could completely relate.

“I know what you mean, buddy.” He popped another cracker into his mouth. “She had a hold on me, and that was just as her best bud. Imagine the grip she had on him.” He didn’t have any difficulty at all imagining Amber keeping Colby on a very short leash. After the New Year’s party and him kissing all of them is when things exploded and they’d ended it. Amber hadn’t been the same since.

“Guys, I’m plum lost.” Jake admitted. “Shit. I been down this road before and I just let them walk out of my life; hell, I didn’t need it. I sure as hell don’t deserve it.” He looked adamant and crossed his arms tightly. But for all his steadfastness and resolve; he was still very hurt. That’s something Sam could see as plain as day.

“No, you don’t deserve it.” Sam grunted under his breath. “Ryan tried to talk to him and this is what happened. He fucking chickened out.”

“Should Caleb talk to him? He helped us get back together.” Brett’s eyes met his husband’s and some of the bad memories from that time returned. Sam leaned on his man’s shoulder and felt Brett’s hand go around his hips.

“Yeah, I remember that. Caleb’s a great one for advice. Ryan is a little tempered; but his heart was in the right place.”

Jake let out a sigh and rubbed his forehead. “Well, I’ll give ‘im one shot at it. It’s Colby’s decision; not anyone else’s. If he wants to be with me, then he’s gotta want to be. I won’t let him keep me on some damn see-saw. Hell, no.”

Sam liked Jake’s determined tone. He was glad that Colby hadn’t damaged him forever. At least, not that he could tell.

“We’ll find a way, man. No worries, okay? You didn’t do anything wrong.” His dark eyes met his friend’s and he could see the anguish behind them; but also the fire of wanting to make things right again.

“Don’t worry about me, guys.” Jake patted Sam’s hand. “I appreciate the shoulder and the advice for sure; but I’m a big old guy who’s been on his own for years. I’ll survive. Some county boy who can’t get it together won’t drag me down again.”

Again? Sam didn’t know much about Jake’s past; but it sounded like he was a veteran in the heartbreak department, unfortunately.

“The wedding is in four days.” Brett spouted. “Getting Caleb to talk much sense into Colby and go to work and deal with that will be a little tough.”

Sam sighed. “Maybe we should just let Cheesy stew for a few days; let his head cool off a little. In the meantime, nobody contact him.” He pointed at Brett. “Even you, baby.”

Brett gave him a faux surprised look that nearly made Sam laugh.

“Moi? Why would you possibly say that?”

Even Jake laughed at that one.

“You’re about as subtle as a 2 x 4 stud whackin’ you across the head, Brett. I appreciate the gesture; but agree with your hubby. He’s gotta be left out in the cold before anyone lets him warm up inside.”

Sam opened his phone and texted his friends about their idea.

‘Whatever you do, no one contact Colby; he’s being a chicken shit and dumped Jake. Let him stew.’

He rolled his eyes and wished this whole predicament would go away.

Part of him even wanted to do the unthinkable; go visit Amber and tell her what was going on and to let him Colby be cut from her leash entirely.

But somehow… he didn’t think Brett would go for that one at all.

However, he could have his hair-brained ideas from time to time. Someone had to do something beyond letting Colby stew. The truth was the young man was hurting and Sam was uniquely qualified to know just how that pain felt. He’d been stricken with the agony for months after having to ditch his best friend for good.

Now it was time to finally lay this to rest.

He plotted it out in his head; and knew just what to do. Without telling Brett of course.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If Colbys a good kid I would hate to meet one of yor bad ones

Will Sam getting Amber involved make things worse

Link to comment
On 02/26/2014 05:35 PM, paul.b said:
If Colbys a good kid I would hate to meet one of yor bad ones

Will Sam getting Amber involved make things worse

lol...just wait; he'll get a rude awakening and reality slapped into his face..
Link to comment

Now I´m disappointed :/ ....Colby broke up with Jake and you didn´t invite us there, had to hear about it from Brett :P

Sam really, really should stay away from Amber...but if he doesn´t I hope you invite us too. I´m sure it´ll be a meeting worth attending :P

Great chapter :*)

Link to comment
On 02/27/2014 05:01 AM, Suvitar said:
Now I´m disappointed :/ ....Colby broke up with Jake and you didn´t invite us there, had to hear about it from Brett :P

Sam really, really should stay away from Amber...but if he doesn´t I hope you invite us too. I´m sure it´ll be a meeting worth attending :P

Great chapter :*)

I could do flashbacks of it :)

Oh yes, any interaction with her must be witnessed.

Thanks!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..