Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy; The Friends - 9. Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

Sam’s POV

The evening had been wonderful so far; and Sam was happy to have seen Jake and Colby getting along better and he hoped that their impromptu walk produced some good results.

Like getting back together. Hell, he knew they belong together; it showed on their faces and in their body language. They were meant to be happy.

Of course, all of it had been possible only because they went to see Amber and that new guy, whatever his name was that knocked her up and put a ring on it.

He felt guilty for keeping it from Brett; but only little white lie wouldn’t hurt, right? What was done was done.

Caleb had his arm around his fiancé and they looked so happy together; Sam couldn’t help but still love that he felt that way about Brett.

“You guys look so freaking happy.” He touted as he saw Ryan lay his head down on Caleb’s broad shoulder.

“We are. Very much so.” Caleb replied as he gave Ryan the softest look Sam had ever seen. It filled his heart to see them so in love; especially with what had happened. But that was all very old news.

“Our sons chose well, didn’t they, Connor?” Mrs. Patterson elbowed her husband and he gave a curt nod.

“Aye. I dinna think that I’d be endorsin’ me son bein’ with another man, but you’re a fine one, Caleb Jacobson. Ye made up for what ye did wrong. If me boy’s happy; that’s what counts in me book.”

He raised his glass to them both, and the others followed suit in a toast to the happy couple.

Sam sipped on his wine; feeling a little bit buzzy. He switched to drinking water; he didn’t want to be hung over at all at the wedding tomorrow. Not with his important job of being Caleb’s best man and all.

An arm slung behind his shoulders and he knew right away it was his Brett. His hubby.

“Hey, you doing okay?” Brett asked.

Sam nodded and just before he would say anything; the door opened and two men walked in, holding hands. His brows went up and his mood was hopeful.

“Jake? Colby?” he called to them and the happy couple entered the room; smiles were plastered on both of their faces.

“Well, don’t you two look happy as all hell?” Ryan commented. “That walk musta done you two some good.”

The men glanced at each other and Jake dropped a kiss on Colby’s head. “We cleared the air between us for sure.”

Now there was some good news for sure! Sam grinned. “That’s good! Trust me, you don’t want anything hanging over your head. It’s too much of a pain.” He sighed and remembered when he and Brett broke up a couple of times; he couldn’t stand it at all until everything unsaid was out in the open.

The mothers of course, looked very happy for them both. Being the parents of gay sons, they seemed to be joyous of any pairing that seemed to be correct and what should be. Like these two.

“So….are you two back together?” Brett asked.

All the tongues in the room were practically wagging, waiting to hear the news.

Colby smiled wide and bright. Damn that kid was cute and he looked happier than a pig in the mud.

“Yeap, we’re back. Jake’s my man and I’m his and we ain’t gonna let things bust us up again.”

He closed his hand around Jake’s fingers and the two wordlessly moved in for a kiss, which got an ‘aww’ from the women and the betrothed couple as well.

“I’m happy for you guys.” Caleb commented. “It’s about time that all got out of the way. You were driving me nuts, Cheese man.”

Colby snorted. “I know, I know. I’m a pain in the ass sometimes.” He gasped and looked at the mothers. “Sorry, ma’ams.”

The mothers laughed and shook their heads.

“No worries, dear. We’re all adults here. Plus it sounds like it’s the truth.” Mrs. Jacobson chimed in.

He looked relieved and the couple sat down at the table to join them. He sat as close as he could to Jake without actually being in his lap. Sam found it wonderful.

“Damn. So glad that’s all out in the open and done.” Jake commented. “I wasn’t really thrilled to find out that you went to see your ex, but if it got you closure and we’re together again; that’s what counts.”

“I know, I know.” Colby ducked his head and sighed. “Hell, at least I had a witness to all of it to know I wasn’t just imaginin’ things.”

Sam felt his heart thud and his breath hitch. Was there something caught in his throat? Yes, the truth. He tried to kick Colby under the table, but that looked even more obvious on the guilt side. His eyes widened and he glared at his friend.

Brett glanced at Sam and leaned in over the table. “A witness? Who was that?”

Please don’t say me, please don’t say me. Sam prayed silently as his eyes grew wider and he swore he’d stopped breathing.

Colby shook his head. “What? You…you didn’t tell him?” he asked Sam directly.

Shit.

Brett cocked his head and caught Sam’s chin with his hand and their eyes locked.

“What’s he talking about, Baby?”

Dammit. Sam thought for sure he’d be sick now; but he really didn’t want to puke on his hot hubby. His mind searched for the words, but with those lovely blue eyes growing colder and darker right before him; he cracked like an egg.

“It was me, Brett. I was there first. At Amber’s house.” He shook like a leaf and felt the cool tears start down his cheeks. He saw them roll over Brett’s hand and he tried to wipe them away; but the look in his eyes held his attention.

The whole room had fallen silent and Sam wished more than anything this moment would just pass or Colby would speak up for him; but that wasn’t happening. It was his lie, and he was facing the consequences now.

His chin quivered and his vision blurred with his tears. Soon, Brett was a blond blob in front of him and all he could do was blurt out the truth.

“I had to see her. I had to. I thought Colby had gone there too. It had to get ironed out! It had to!” he pleaded. “Brett, she hurt both of us so bad that…” now he was rambling and rattling off his words so fast that he could barely make sense of them.

“So you just kept this from me? Colby told his man but you couldn’t tell yours?”

The tears cleared and Sam saw hurt in Brett’s eyes; something he hated to ever see.

“Because I know you didn’t want me to go see her. But I had to… I had to.”

“No you didn’t have to. Colby could’ve figured it out for himself.” Brett snapped at him, whisking his hand away from Sam’s chin. “Why did you keep this from me?”

Sam felt a snarl coming. “Why? Are you shittin’ me? Why? Because of how you’re acting right now that’s why! I knew you’d blow a gasket and get all pissy and start bein’ all overdramatic.”

Wow, where did that come from?

Brett stood and stepped away from the table. “No, you chose to lie to me, Sam. We’ve had our secrets before; but you know how I felt about this.”

How he felt? Excuse me? Sam felt his ire rise and he glanced around the table. Everyone was just agog with what was unfolding. Useless.

He got up from the table himself and shot Colby a look. “Would you tell him, Colby? At least stand up for me?” he demanded.

Colby looked shell-shocked, but Sam was delighted both he and Jake stood and all three of them joined Brett in the adjacent room.

“Hell, Sam, I didn’t think it’d be that huge of a deal with you anymore. She broke my heart, not yours.”

Sam rolled his eyes and huffed. His fists were balled and the tears of fear had morphed into tears of anger and disappointment.

“Well, she did! Believe it or not I loved her too! She was my best friend!” he pointed to his chest and poked himself. He started to cough and choke on his tears; Jake went to his side and slapped his back.

“Easy, easy now.” That cool, calm, deep voice soothed him.

Sam was very grateful, but very disappointed that it wasn’t Brett helping him. Once he was okay again, he looked his husband up and down.

“So, I was dead on, huh? You’re gonna stay all pissy at me until I apologize for going to see her?” he crossed his arms and waiting for Brett to give his answer.

For once, the blond was fairly silent. He stood with his arms crossed too and he looked down his nose at Sam; which was easy to do at his towering height; but it made Sam feel small and like he’d done something wrong, which he had, but it couldn’t have been this bad, right?

“Whatever.” Was all Brett muttered.

“Are you serious? What? That’s all you have to say?” Sam asked.

Colby stepped in-between them. “Guys, stop. Okay? This ain’t no one’s fault but Amber’s. Sam had every right to be there, Brett. He had to find out that she’s a skank and a nasty ho as much as we thought she was.”

Sam had a glimmer of hope that Brett would listen, just for that instant. Instead though; he shook his head and stepped back from everyone.

“Save it. All of you. A lie is a lie, no matter how much bullshit you wrap around it.”

He gave Sam a look and the young man thought his heart would break with the coldness in his husband’s glance.

“I’m outta here.” Brett announced, turning on his heel and before anyone could catch him, he was out the door and Sam heard him drive away.

Without him.

He left him alone.

Sam wanted to sob and cry out for his man; but instead he wanted to throw something at him and curse his name. But none of that happened; nothing at all was going on anymore. He was only one thing.

Numb.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think Brett overreacted. Obviously Sam shouldn´t have lied to Brett but I think he had a right to go and see Amber, but he should have told Brett the truth. It´ll be interesting to see how you´ll fix this for them. Surely Sam and Brett can talk about what happened and be happy again, they clearly love each other.

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 05:26 AM, Suvitar said:
I think Brett overreacted. Obviously Sam shouldn´t have lied to Brett but I think he had a right to go and see Amber, but he should have told Brett the truth. It´ll be interesting to see how you´ll fix this for them. Surely Sam and Brett can talk about what happened and be happy again, they clearly love each other.
Brett definitely overreacted; but he feels it's justified after the lies they've had in their relationship before.

But I think i can fix it again. :)

Link to comment

Well it had to happen Sam keeping secrets from Brett .Colbys still a little s..t dropping Sam in it l hope they make up before the wedding and now for the serious stuff I cant wait to see how Colby and Jake get on

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 05:31 AM, paul.b said:
Well it had to happen Sam keeping secrets from Brett .Colbys still a little s..t dropping Sam in it l hope they make up before the wedding and now for the serious stuff I cant wait to see how Colby and Jake get on
Sam shouldn't have kept it from Brett in the 1st place...Colby was right to have assumed that the truth was out, so he didn't do anything wrong. :) I love Colby.

Yes, now to iron it all out.

Link to comment

I would have thought Sam was the drama queen, but it's Brett. Sure Sam should have told him and he needed to let him know he wasn't happy about it. But it wasn't a lie. He just didn't tell him. Grow up Brett!!!

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 12:45 PM, Terry P said:
I would have thought Sam was the drama queen, but it's Brett. Sure Sam should have told him and he needed to let him know he wasn't happy about it. But it wasn't a lie. He just didn't tell him. Grow up Brett!!!
LOL...we are talking about a young man here, maybe 21, spoiled rotten and married to a fellow drama queen. hehe. I agree though :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..