Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 3,812 Words
  • 209,926 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Cardmaker and the Caretaker - 13. Chapter 13 Good and bad family moments

Everyone has those, right?
Remember, you don’t have to use the footnotes with translations of the Danish phrases to understand.

Patrick woke the next morning to a soft knocking. He slid out of bed and walked over to open the door. As expected, Michael stood outside with a hopeful look. He smiled and motioned him inside, and the boy immediately ran over to the bed and climbed up next to his still sleeping dad.

Before they went to sleep, Peter had put on his boxers and T-shirt and Patrick was wearing his new silk pyjamas. He padded over to find his clothes and slip out to get dressed in the bathroom, but a pleading voice halted him in his tracks.

“Papa, kom her. Far bli’r ked af det, hvis du ikke er her.”[1]

He looked at Michael, who was beckoning him with his hand, and repeated, “Papa, kom nu.”

The message was obvious, and Patrick melted. He went back to the bed and climbed in next to Michael. The small boy lay down with a contented sigh and snuggled into the duvet. Patrick couldn’t help himself, but reached out to run his fingers though the unruly blond hair. He’d never really considered having children, but Michael was such a joy to be around. Having the possibility to see him grow up was fast becoming a high priority to him.

If the hospital succeeded with those treatments, perhaps he could donate some money as thanks? He would have to check out their homepage or perhaps talk to people when visiting Michael. Assuming he would be allowed to do so as a non-relative? Damn, another thing to put on the ever-expanding list of things he needed to talk with Peter about. But at least the money matter and his sixth sense were dealt with and accepted.

He felt the boy next to him grab his left hand, which was lying idle on the pillow between them. They both focused on the ring as Michael rotated it on Patrick’s finger, studying it intently. He suddenly turned over and leaned over his dad’s back. With a giggle he extracted Peter’s left hand from the duvet and pulled it upwards.

“Er I gift nu, far?”[2]

Patrick sat up, and Peter rolled onto his back, giving his son a sleepy hug.

“Nej, forlovede. Vi har lovet at gifte os.”[3]

His blue eyes found Patrick’s and a delighted smile blossomed on his face.

“Good morning, my love. Michael wanted to know if we’re married now, but I told him we’re engaged.”

Patrick didn’t think, he simply leaned down and kissed his fiancé. Only briefly though, to avoid any unwanted reactions which included Michael groaning at them.

“Hvad skal vi lave i dag, far?”[4]

Peter chuckled and said, “Morgenmad først. Breakfast first, then plans for the day.” His stomach rumbled to emphasize the answer, and all of them laughed.

“I’m going to grab a shower, Peter. See you downstairs in a bit.”

“OK.”

The two blond heads made their way down to the kitchen, Michael clinging to his dad’s back, and Patrick let the wave of affection for his wonderful Danes carry him smiling into the bathroom. Normally, he would have gone for a long jog, but he didn’t think his butt would appreciate it. Not that he minded the soreness reminding him about last night and their amazing sex. Anyway, he hoped Peter and he would have time to go running together later, although he really ought to go to the shop for a few hours too. Patrick shook his head in wonder; imagine having such a full life there weren’t enough hours in the day. That hadn’t happened in years.

Instead of walking into an empty kitchen and preparing his lonely breakfast, Patrick was greeted by cheerful voices, the smells of coffee, eggs, bacon and toast, and smiling faces turning to welcome him.

“Good morning, Patrick. Did you sleep well?”

He gulped at Grethe’s motherly words and tone of voice; they were eerily similar to what met him when his mum was alive, or at least on the mornings she was at home. After Patrick was old enough to fend for himself with help from his dad, his mum would accept occasional night or early morning shifts at the hospital. Only after his parents had died, did he realize she worked as a nurse because she wanted to. With her husband’s income and the interest of her inheritance, she could have stayed at home. Well, in a way she did, because she was there for her son, whenever he needed her. As Patrick grew older and more independent, she gradually increased her hours at the hospital.

“Patrick, are you OK?” The motherly voice became concerned.

“Huh? Yes, thank you, I’m fine.”

“But you went sort of pale, and distracted, all of a sudden.”

“Sorry, it was just…you reminded me of my mum. But I suddenly realized something. My mother worked at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. You know, where…”

Patrick waved at Michael, not wanting to distract the boy from having breakfast, by saying his name. The cardmaker moved to the table and sat down next to Grethe and across from Peter.

“Mmmm, this looks delicious, Mosta.” He had noticed Peter mostly called Grethe by the auntie name ‘Moster’ and somehow it sounded nicer, more family-like, almost like ‘mother.’

“Good, please help yourself, boys. Oh, and congratulations on the engagement.” Her beaming smile left no doubt she was delighted at their new status.

Peter, who was already shovelling eggs and bacon in as fast as possible, winked at him. They both focused on the food, and Patrick quickly filled a plate and started eating. The breakfast tasted as delicious as it looked. He would definitely need to get more exercise, if he ate like this every morning.

“Would you like to go for a run later?” he asked his fiancé. “And I should spend a few hours at the shop, since I need to finish the card for Anthony’s mother.”

“What time are we meeting your friends tonight?”

“They’ll come to the shop at seven pm.”

“OK, how about we take a quick look at the room upstairs to see how much stuff there is to go through. Then we can do a long run and after lunch you can go to the shop, while I spend some time with Michael. Moster, are you visiting Mr. Archibald this afternoon, or is he coming over here?”

“I thought I might go over there and let him tell me more about the house and his family. I shall ask him to come over for dinner to keep Michael and me company. Are you bringing your friends back here, Patrick?”

“I’m not sure, it depends how the evening goes. If we do, Peter can text you beforehand. Is that OK?”

“Of course, dear boy. I’ll make sure there are plenty of home-baked cookies and the house is tidy.”

“I was thinking of hiring a cleaning lady, but that will have to wait until Monday.”

Patrick was relieved Grethe simply nodded and smiled. She obviously approved, and of course it was also necessary for Michael’s sake. Now, what else on the list…oh right.

“I guess we could take a look in the storage room, Peter.”

“Only if you’re OK about it.”

“Tak for mad,”[5] Michael suddenly said and got up. He looked expectantly at his dad.

“Velbekomme. Smut du bare ind og se TV,”[6] Peter replied. He looked back at Patrick once the boy had disappeared into the living room.

“I told him he could go and watch telly,” he explained.

“What is that phrase he uses? ‘Tack fore mad?’ He’s said it before, but I forgot to ask.”

Grete laughed. “It’s as Danish as ‘Please’ is British. It means ‘Thank you for the food’ but it’s more than that. It’s also a way of saying ‘May I leave the table?’ and ‘I’ve enjoyed the meal.’ If you’re ever in Denmark, it would be a very useful phrase to know. Oh and the answer ‘Velbekomme’ literally means ‘May it become you well’, but you’d probably say ‘You’re welcome’ in English.”

During her explanation Patrick had finished eating, and he poured himself another mug of tea.

Tak for mad, Mosta. I hope I’ll learn to speak Danish eventually.” He looked back at Peter. “I’m glad to have a reason to deal with my parents’ things. And it’s not as bad as you may think. I gave their clothes to charity before I packed up the rest.”

“Patrick, what happened to your parents, if you don’t mind me asking?” Grethe’s voice was gentle and caring.

“Didn’t Peter tell you? Not that there is much to tell. They were killed in a car accident five years ago. A lorry driver fell asleep or had a heart attack and rammed into the back of a queue on an M25 exit. Unfortunately, Mum and Dad were caught between him and the lorry in front.”

“Oh Patrick, I’m sorry, what a terrible tragedy. Nothing adequate can be said…” She got up and moved around the table to give him a warm hug, and he let the balm of her genuine compassion soothe his hurt.

“Thank you, Mosta. It helps to have a new family who cares.”

She began clearing the breakfast things away and he got up to help. Peter mumbled something about taking a shower and left after giving Grethe a peck on the cheek and a ‘Tak for mad’ and Patrick a chaste kiss on the mouth.

“Were your parents single children too?”

“No, my dad had two sisters and a brother, and Mum had an older brother.”

“Oh,” she hesitated, clearly not sure how to ask the next question. Patrick decided to help her out.

“My parents weren’t close to their siblings and I haven’t been in touch with them or my cousins since the funeral. To be honest I dislike all my aunts and uncles, but I’m thinking of getting in touch with a couple of my cousins, who may be more accepting.”

Her eyes got huge and she sputtered, “Your relatives…disapprove of…of you being gay? Are they very religious or something?”

“No, no,” Patrick hastened to reassure her. “I very much doubt any of them knows. I was out to my parents but not to anyone else, and I’m certain they never told anyone, particularly not the rest of the family.”

“But, but…why then?” She was completely bewildered, but when Patrick pulled a face at the thought of having to tell this kind, unselfish woman about his greedy, insensitive relatives, she quickly back-pedalled. “I’m sorry; it’s none of my business. I was simply shocked at the idea of none of them being there for you after your parents died.”

“No, it’s OK. I’ll explain, but I want Peter to be here too. I haven’t really talked to him about the reasons I’m not close to my relatives. It’s mostly tied into the money my parents inherited, although I have to admit I’m not quite sure what happened before I was born. My parents’ solicitor probably knows, but I never asked him for the story. It seemed pointless with them gone and much easier to break off all connections to the rest of the family. I’d never met any of them before the funeral anyway.”

“You never met any of your grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins as a child? No family gatherings or Christmas visits or birthday parties?” Grethe was visibly shaken by this idea, and in hindsight Patrick could see her point. But his parents had never spoken about their siblings in his presence until he was a teen. They talked about his grandparents occasionally, but since they were deceased, visits were not a possibility. He suddenly recalled the day he was told about having relatives and realized his parents had waited as long as they could to reveal their existence.

***

He’d been twelve, almost thirteen, and they had been sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning. His parents had been unusually distracted the day before and they were quiet that morning too. Once the meal was over, his mum looked at him and sighed.

“There’s something we need to talk about, darling.” Like any boy he immediately went over any possible misdemeanours of his own, but he was fairly confident this was something else. He briefly thought about one of his classmates whose parents had divorced recently, but somehow he knew his parents loved each other dearly and would never separate. He waited anxiously for her to continue, hoping it had nothing to do with his newly discovered attraction to boys.

“Your mum and I think it’s time for you to be told about the families we come from. We believe you’re old enough to understand.”

“Have you ever wondered why you’ve never met any relatives?” His mum asked gently.

“No, they’re dead, aren’t they?”

“Your grandparents are, but you have uncles and aunts and cousins.” His dad waited for his reaction.

“I do? How many?” He could see they were pleased with his calm manner and logical approach.

“I have an older brother, who is married and has three children,” was his mum’s answer.

“I have an older sister who has three children and a brother and sister who’re younger than me. They have two children each.”

“That means I have ten cousins. Are they younger than me?”

“Two of Herbert’s children are older than you, but his youngest son, Jason, is seven,” his mum explained. She seemed to wince slightly at the mention of her brother’s name.

“All of your cousins on my side are younger, except my first niece, Fiona, who’s a year older than you.”

Patrick wondered if there was any special reason for those cousins to be given names, but how could there be? His parents made it quite clear they had never seen any of their nephews and nieces, although they had sent gifts and cards at their christenings. He never wondered at the time how they would know of these events, but now he surmised it was the work of Mr. Wickham, their solicitor.

“Why have I never met any of my cousins or uncles and aunts?” From their faces and the emotions impacting him, Patrick knew this was the crucial question. At the time he wasn’t aware his empathy was anything special, nor was he able to figure out or name the jumble of emotions from his parents.

“My brother and I are estranged, dear. It means we dislike each other so much, we prefer not to see each other or speak with each other. I send a Christmas card to the family every year, and his wife sends one back. I sincerely hope you’ll never have to deal with him, but if you’re ever approached by a man introducing himself as Herbert Williamson, I want you to ignore everything he says and walk away. He is an evil, bitter man.”

“I promise, Mum.” Patrick had kept his word on the day of the funeral. He had completely ignored the hateful man who glared at him and muttered about ridiculous wills and a manipulative sister being father’s favourite. Apart from a wife and three children, Hebert had been accompanied by two men who were introduced as ‘my cousins Robert and Albert Williamson’ as well as a gaggle of other sycophants. The fawning brothers had been willing listeners to his uncle’s complaints, and Patrick got the vague impression they felt cheated by the same unknown events caused by his grandfather’s will. He didn’t care and curtly dismissed them when they approached him with thinly-disguised begging for money, saying ‘our dear cousin Elizabeth would have understood.’

His mother’s name in their mouths disgusted him, and the simultaneous arrival of Aunt Victoria was almost a relief in spite of the waves of disapproval rolling ahead of her. The cardmaker felt like laughing when his memories made him realize the presence of Fiona’s mother had probably been a powerful deterrent to the greed and ambitions of the Williamsons. Whenever he was approached by members of his mother’s family, Aunt Victoria would descend on him like a frigate of war protecting the valuable merchant ship from privateers and other enemies. Shame she also chased off potential friends and allies, including anyone from her own side of the family.

Thankfully, there had been no bitching about wills or money by his father’s relatives, or at least not during the funeral. But Patrick had certainly felt the general disapproval which was the main cause of his dad cutting his family off. He had explained it that Sunday morning long ago and gained his son’s immediate support.

“My sisters and brother didn’t approve of me marrying your mum. Of course I didn’t care, and I certainly didn’t need their acceptance, but the ways in which they expressed their dissatisfaction were quite unforgivable. No need for details, but I am determined to ignore them until they apologize.”

“Do you think they ever will?”

“Oh probably; when Hell freezes over, pigs fly, and Scotsmen stop drinking whisky.” His dad winked at him. “A common trait of all Kerns is being stubborn and convinced they’re right, a terrible combination.”

“Well, I think you’re absolutely right, Dad, and I don’t want to know people who hate Mum. They’re stupid idiots and we don’t need them.”

“No, we certainly don’t, my boy. Let’s not waste any more time on them.”

“Why did you even bother to tell me about them?”

“We don’t want you to be unprepared if you should met them. And you have a right to know who your relatives are, and our reasons for not being in touch with them. We will answer any questions you have, but I must admit I don’t like talking about my siblings. They’re not nice people and don’t deserve any attention.”

“Do they get Christmas cards?”

“Indeed they do. Specially made reminders of how happy I am being married to your mum and having a wonderful son, who shares my interest in art and creating beautiful cards. They also disapprove of my ‘silly hobby’ and consider it a waste of time.”

“Wow, they really are utter jerks.”

“Yep, complete and utter morons. Well, my youngest sister Mary was OK when we were kids, but she got persuaded to marry a rich guy who was even more of a snob than our sister, and this addled her brain and froze her heart.”

“Why are they so different from you, Dad?”

“Actually, it’s more a question of how did I manage to become a nice person.”

“Really? Are you saying you’re the only good guy in the whole Kern family?”

“No, my father was nice too, and so was my grandfather. But they had one fatal flaw which I have been lucky enough to avoid. They were hopeless at choosing wives.”

“You’re kidding me?”

“Nope, my grandmother was an evil bitch and my mother was even worse.”

“Dad!”

“Honestly, cross my heart. The only thing which saved my dad and me was boarding school. The oldest Kern boys always went away to school at the age of eight, and before that we had kind nannies or a governess to teach us right from wrong. My father would pick me up at school and take me to see granddad, who was luckily a widower, and we would have a wonderful time together for a week or two, before we had to endure the horror of the rest of the family.”

“It sounds completely unbelievable, but kind of fascinating in a weird way. I wish I had known your dad.”

“Had he been alive today, he would have loved you and been very proud of you, Patrick. I’m very sorry you never met him. On the other hand, I’m glad you never met my mother.”

“I know grandfather died just before I was born, but when did she die?”

His dad looked away and his mum patted his arm. “Go on, darling, tell him.”

“She died the day before yesterday.”

“Seriously?” Patrick’s mouth hung open in shock. He’d been sure all of his grandparents had died before or shortly after he was born.

“Yes, my sister called to let me know. I’ll have to go to the funeral. Victoria wanted me to bring you, but I refused. I’m worried she might approach you directly, and that’s why we chose today to tell you about our delightful relatives.” The heavy sarcasm and disgust in the last two words was like a punch in the stomach.

“We would have told you soon anyway,” Patrick’s mum assured him.

“Is Mum going to grandmother’s funeral?” His parents shook their heads and he knew she hadn’t been invited. “Then I’m not going either.” And that had been the end of the discussion.

***

When Patrick had finished telling Peter and Moster Grethe the story, they both hugged him, saying how sorry they were and they certainly understood his reasons for rejecting all his relatives. He decided to keep the rest of the story for another day and suggested they take a look at the room upstairs.

“Are you up for it?” Peter’s worry was echoed in the caring look on his Moster’s face.

“Yeah, I could do with some reminders of my parents’ love for each other and me after wallowing in the evil family skeletons-in-the-closet.”

“All families have those, but I have to admit yours are stranger and scarier than most,” Grethe said with a laugh and a fake shudder. “It’s like being dropped into the middle of a Gothic novel.”

“You always did like those stories, Moster. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights and tragic love rather than sense.”

She swatted Peter’s butt as he turned to walk up the stairs. “Cut it out, Mr. Romantic; I like Sense and Sensibility and the rest of Jane Austen’s works too.”

“But you wanted Miss Marianne to marry what’s-his-name, didn’t you?” Patrick teased her, using his vague recollection of the movie starring Emma Thompson as the sensible older sister. His mother had loved both the book and the film, and he’d watched it for her sake and held her hand when she cried over the ‘deathbed’ scene.

“Oh, you two are impossible. Go on up, I’ll be with Michael in the living room.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Patrick turned to follow Peter up the stairs and wasn’t the least bit surprised to receive a similar swat before she left the hall, chuckling all the way. The two men grinned at each other as they went upstairs.

 

[1] Papa, come here. Daddy will be sad if you’re not here.

[2] Are you married now, Daddy?

[3] No, engaged. We have promised to marry each other.

[4] What are we going to do today, Daddy?

[5] Directly translated: Thank you for the food.

[6] You’re welcome. Run along and watch telly (if you want).

Thank you, Kitt, for making time to edit in the midst of all your other tasks.  :kiss:
If you haven’t seen it yet, you should watch Emma Thompson’s Golden Globe acceptance speech. It’s hilarious, but mostly if you’ve read some of Jane Austen’s books.
Copyright © 2018 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 49
  • Love 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



It's, ummm, enlightening to finally start to find out bits and pieces of Patrick's mysterious family. Such a contrast with his current family situation! I'm still curious about Fiona and how she'll interact with Patrick's new family.

 

Michael is still being cute! Such interesting concern about his fathers. He adds such a special spark of life, I think it will be difficult to read when he's suffering from his medical treatments.

 

Things certainly wouldn't be the same without Mosta. It's kind of unusual for a Gay story to include supportive parental figures (other than Tiffany's grandmother!) in such a prominent place. Extended families root us more firmly into society.

 

Most of the Gay stories I've read with three (or more) generations are composed of a Gay couple and their adopted sons and adopted grandsons. Notice a pattern there? I wonder what percentage of real Gay fathers have adopted their children compared with children born in a previous, heterosexual marriage? Clearly the percentages have changed dramatically over the last couple decades…

 

Okay, now everybody else has permission to review this chapter!

Link to comment

Wow, Tim...Patrick has such hateful relatives! I hope Fiona turns out to be okay, and it would be nice if some of the other cousins turned out better than their parents did. With his 'ability', I think he's safe from false affection or friendliness as a means to get money.
Peter and Michael have rapidly wormed their way into my heart, and I'm hoping Patrick will be able to visit Michael in the hospital when the time comes. Peter should be able to allow that. Moster Grethe is taking on a personality of her own, and I like her already--she reminds me of my grandmother in a way.
More please, min ven...and don't forget the twins or Team Rob. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nice chapter. Nice to learn about Patrick's family, if that's the word for them, but I can relate on some levels. Nice job, Tim!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Aww! Michael was so cute in this chapter. :D I especially liked when he ordered Patrick back into bed :lol:

 

Poor Patrick! :( A lot of his family are just horrible. I'm just glad that Patrick has found a new and great family with Peter, Michael, and Grethe.

 

Finally... You're right Tim, I didn't need to go to the footnotes to see what Michael was saying. :) I mean, it was pretty obvious what "kom her" meant, and it was easy to piece together the more difficult parts. Although, I'm sure I'm pronouncing them incorrectly :gikkle:

 

Thank you Tim for another great chapter :hug:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another great chapter, Tim. Michael was a welcomed part of the bed and the breakfast scene. With Patrick's mother having worked at the same children's hospital, maybe Patrick will have an ally or two when it comes to visiting a child who isn't his. Patrick's family sounds really f'ed up. He is smart to stay clear. He doesn't need them... he has a new improved one... I like Mosta, a lot... Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The morning with Michael was so sweet! That kid is adorable. I love how well he's taken to Patrick being his stepdad. Even with the language barrier they still seem to find a way to get their feelings across to each other.
Patrick's family sounds... interesting? I can understand why neither of his parents would want to be around them.. especially his father. It can be hard to be around anyone who doesn't like or support someone you love. Hopefully some of the cousins turn out to be better, more supportive people, than their parents.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A solid chapter Tim!

 

Some of the background of Patrick's family comes out, but there is some deeper stuff he (and we) don't know yet, I'm sure.
Lets hope Fiona is the key to unlocking that weird bunch of snobs. I have hopes for her being a good person. :yes:

 

All Patrick's 'new' family seems to be coming together also. Much less frightening though. :gikkle:

 

Thanks for the bang-up chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/01/2016 03:46 PM, droughtquake said:

It's, ummm, enlightening to finally start to find out bits and pieces of Patrick's mysterious family. Such a contrast with his current family situation! I'm still curious about Fiona and how she'll interact with Patrick's new family.

 

Michael is still being cute! Such interesting concern about his fathers. He adds such a special spark of life, I think it will be difficult to read when he's suffering from his medical treatments.

 

Things certainly wouldn't be the same without Mosta. It's kind of unusual for a Gay story to include supportive parental figures (other than Tiffany's grandmother!) in such a prominent place. Extended families root us more firmly into society.

 

Most of the Gay stories I've read with three (or more) generations are composed of a Gay couple and their adopted sons and adopted grandsons. Notice a pattern there? I wonder what percentage of real Gay fathers have adopted their children compared with children born in a previous, heterosexual marriage? Clearly the percentages have changed dramatically over the last couple decades…

 

Okay, now everybody else has permission to review this chapter!

I'm glad you found the flash-back about Patrick's relatives interesting. There will be more later, and Fiona will become a part of the story soon.

Michael's main role does include plenty of cute stuff and I promise there will be as little as possible about the nasty hospital stuff. :pinch:

Most of all I'm pleased you like Mosta and her prominent role as supportive and motherly. Luckily, she has several people to use her energy on, and she's quite independent emotionally and mentally, or it might get tiring for Peter and Patrick - or my readers. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 5/1/2016 at 9:48 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Wow, Tim...Patrick has such hateful relatives! I hope Fiona turns out to be okay, and it would be nice if some of the other cousins turned out better than their parents did. With his 'ability', I think he's safe from false affection or friendliness as a means to get money.

Peter and Michael have rapidly wormed their way into my heart, and I'm hoping Patrick will be able to visit Michael in the hospital when the time comes. Peter should be able to allow that. Moster Grethe is taking on a personality of her own, and I like her already--she reminds me of my grandmother in a way.

More please, min ven...and don't forget the twins or Team Rob. :)

 

Yep, I cannot gainsay you, he really had very little luck in the family department apart from his parents - and his new family of course. But at least he won't be duped, as you point out. As for Fiona :X:lol:

I love that Peter and Michael has gotten a place in your heart. :hug: Don't worry about the hospital, all will be well, I think.

Moster Grethe does indeed have the perfect grandmotherly feel :yes: combined with a good dose of common sense and humor.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/01/2016 10:45 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice chapter. Nice to learn about Patrick's family, if that's the word for them, but I can relate on some levels. Nice job, Tim!

Triple nice must mean you liked it, in spite of the not so nice family parts. I guess I'm not surprised you can relate to cutting off relatives who are not worth wasting your time on. :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/02/2016 01:36 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Aww! Michael was so cute in this chapter. :D I especially liked when he ordered Patrick back into bed :lol:

 

Poor Patrick! :( A lot of his family are just horrible. I'm just glad that Patrick has found a new and great family with Peter, Michael, and Grethe.

 

Finally... You're right Tim, I didn't need to go to the footnotes to see what Michael was saying. :) I mean, it was pretty obvious what "kom her" meant, and it was easy to piece together the more difficult parts. Although, I'm sure I'm pronouncing them incorrectly :gikkle:

 

Thank you Tim for another great chapter :hug:

The Danish expression 'sno rundt om sin lillefinger' comes to mind in relation to Michael and Patrick - I guess it's the same in English: wind around your little finger. ;)

Yeah, Patrick lost (most of) his caring family, but has gained a lovely new one.

Don't be upset about having difficulties with pronouncing Danish, it's fiendishly difficult.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/02/2016 03:04 AM, Headstall said:

Another great chapter, Tim. Michael was a welcomed part of the bed and the breakfast scene. With Patrick's mother having worked at the same children's hospital, maybe Patrick will have an ally or two when it comes to visiting a child who isn't his. Patrick's family sounds really f'ed up. He is smart to stay clear. He doesn't need them... he has a new improved one... I like Mosta, a lot... Cheers... Gary....

I thought you would appreciate some more Michael time. ;) You have a good point about the hospital, there might be some nurses or doctors who recall Patrick's mum.

Staying clear of his relatives is definitely a good idea, perhaps with one or two exceptions. I'm delighted you like Mosta, she's becoming a favorite of mine too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/02/2016 03:30 AM, Fae Briona said:

Hoping Fiona doesn't turn out to be like the others.

I hope you're right, it would be nice for Patrick to have at least one cousin worth knowing. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/02/2016 10:25 PM, LitLover said:

The morning with Michael was so sweet! That kid is adorable. I love how well he's taken to Patrick being his stepdad. Even with the language barrier they still seem to find a way to get their feelings across to each other.

Patrick's family sounds... interesting? I can understand why neither of his parents would want to be around them.. especially his father. It can be hard to be around anyone who doesn't like or support someone you love. Hopefully some of the cousins turn out to be better, more supportive people, than their parents.

I'm :D you liked the intersaction between Michael and Patrick, they do indeed seem to connect in spite of language barriers. Michael has good instincts for love and kind people.

LOL such a polite word 'interesting' - but it's better than boring. ;) I'm glad you agree with his parents, and Patrick certainly kept up the 'tradition' but maybe he could have luck with a cousin or two?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/03/2016 10:08 AM, skinnydragon said:

A solid chapter Tim!

 

Some of the background of Patrick's family comes out, but there is some deeper stuff he (and we) don't know yet, I'm sure.

Lets hope Fiona is the key to unlocking that weird bunch of snobs. I have hopes for her being a good person. :yes:

 

All Patrick's 'new' family seems to be coming together also. Much less frightening though. :gikkle:

 

Thanks for the bang-up chapter!

Well, you would know all about stories with layers and deeply kept secrets, right? As bad as Patrick's relatives are, I'm not sure they are worse than David's or Toph's :unsure:

Keep up the hope for Fiona - and Patrick's new family too. The three members he's met so far are pretty awesome. :yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Kids usually sense the good in people and they will be honest and generous with their emotions. Michael clearly is generous when it comes to loving Patrick. You feel the warmth and acceptance of their situation. Michael also possesses a charming innocence. Obviously I'm biased when it comes to the kid..
It's no wonder Patrick stayed away from his family and I'm thinking it's better he continues to keep them distant. Well, except maybe for Fiona. I'll hold out on her for now. Thank goodness he knew love from his parents, and now Peyer and their family.

 

Too bad Mr Archibald is moving. mosto is a great companion.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/11/2016 12:32 PM, Defiance19 said:

Kids usually sense the good in people and they will be honest and generous with their emotions. Michael clearly is generous when it comes to loving Patrick. You feel the warmth and acceptance of their situation. Michael also possesses a charming innocence. Obviously I'm biased when it comes to the kid..

It's no wonder Patrick stayed away from his family and I'm thinking it's better he continues to keep them distant. Well, except maybe for Fiona. I'll hold out on her for now. Thank goodness he knew love from his parents, and now Peyer and their family.

 

Too bad Mr Archibald is moving. mosto is a great companion.

I don't now how I missed replying to this review. :facepalm: Sorry, Def, and thank you for some great comments.

Yeah, Michael and Patrick are great together, and I'm sure this contributed to Peter becoming attracted. There was this one scene in ch. 2 which pointed ahead on this matter, remember? I'm always :D when the Michael bits click with my readers, as I worry about getting the balance right.

Patrick's relatives... :pinch: but let's hope you're right about Fiona. You certainly are about his parents and his new family. :yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Patrick was blessed to have the parent's he did. They gave him a wonderful childhood and kept it from being marred by not exposing him to his nasty relatives. Sometimes the best family is the one we make ourselves, be it on purpose or by circumstance.
After a lonely five years Patrick has the love he received from his parent's back and then some. With all this happiness, I wonder if the mention of the less than loving relatives spells trouble for their future. I hope not, but even if one of them tries to do this family wrong, I think they will be able to weather the storm that comes. They are a strong family unit and with their growing circle of friends, I'd say they would be a force to be reckoned with.
Oh, and Michael was his usual adorable self what with the early morning snuggle, the queries about the rings and his reactions to the kiss. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/16/2016 12:01 PM, Reader1810 said:

Patrick was blessed to have the parent's he did. They gave him a wonderful childhood and kept it from being marred by not exposing him to his nasty relatives. Sometimes the best family is the one we make ourselves, be it on purpose or by circumstance.

After a lonely five years Patrick has the love he received from his parent's back and then some. With all this happiness, I wonder if the mention of the less than loving relatives spells trouble for their future. I hope not, but even if one of them tries to do this family wrong, I think they will be able to weather the storm that comes. They are a strong family unit and with their growing circle of friends, I'd say they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Oh, and Michael was his usual adorable self what with the early morning snuggle, the queries about the rings and his reactions to the kiss. :D

Thanks, Reader. i agree about Patrick's parents and their choice about not inflicting their relatives on their son. Of course they couldn't foresee a wayward truck. :(

With Peter at his side Patrick can do anything. :yes: even confront the spectre of his family. Howver, this goes both ways and the Dane is stronger and happier too. He'll need it in the weeks to come (no bad stuff, I promise, only natural parental worry over a sick child).

I'm glad the Michael cuteness resonated with you. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/20/2016 10:12 PM, Arazon said:

It was interesting to learn about Patrick’s family, sad though. Loved that playful vibe where Moster swatted Patrick’s butt too. This household is warm and accepting of each other, which is all the family Patrick needs imo. But I am curious to hear the rest of that story he has to tell...

Patrick's relatives are certainly an interesting bunch and we haven't heard everything yet. His new family is much better. Loved that you noticed the playful swat. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment

They always say, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

 

Personally I think they are wrong. I may not be able to choose my blood family, but I can choose who I decide to call my family. I think Patrick has all the family he needs now. Any extras he finds in his cousins will be a bonus.

 

Great as always and on to the next :read:

 

:hug:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 06/27/2016 07:05 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

They always say, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

 

Personally I think they are wrong. I may not be able to choose my blood family, but I can choose who I decide to call my family. I think Patrick has all the family he needs now. Any extras he finds in his cousins will be a bonus.

 

Great as always and on to the next :read:

 

:hug:

You're right, Caz. Patrick has chosen the best family for him: Peter, Michael and Moster Grethe. He's ready to give his cousins a chance, but like you say it's a bonus more than a necessity. I think he and Peter will be focused on finding a few more friends as time goes by. Don't forget Peter's cousins Kim and Alice (Grethe's children), they'll be around eventually.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I accidentally posted this two chapters ago. I am reading in a mode that displays multiple chapters sequentially. Sorry.

 

I remember about twenty years ago a sister called to say that my only brother, three years younger than I, was on his deathbed. I was driving in the car with my partner, my youngest son was in the backseat. My brother and I never got along. Ever. After I came out our relationship ceased, except through the family grapevine. Which really wasn't much of a change except for the envectives he now bandied about. I told my sister, "Let me know when he dies. I won't come to the funeral, but my company gives five days bereavement leave and I could use the time off." We said goodbye and hung up. Whereupon my partner smacked my shoulder and said, "My god Jim, that's your only brother. You can't talk like that. We're going to the funeral." My reply was, "You have never met John. I never met your father, but I understood your relationship when you told me you pissed on his grave. Do I really need to revisit all my brother issues I have already discussed with you?" Nothing else was said concerning the matter. I don't remember that he ever inquired about my brother after that. My partner, Sep died of cancer after we had been together for twelve years. My world is still less joyful. I got a call just yesterday, different sister, calling from Denver to tell it's snowing and oh by the way John is on life support, they're waiting for his children to gather. It occurred to me 'too bad I'm retired. I could use the time off'. Life is so unfair.

I don't like to lie. I ONLY do it when it's more convenient than the truth. What I shared here is the truth, almost verbatim. Google the weather in Denver, Co on  19 May, 2017. The rest, well you kinda gave to take my word for it.

 

A man has two families. The first he is born into. The second, he builds. At some point he has to choose.

 

Thanks for sharing such a compelling look at families.

 

Jim

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..