Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Summer in Mississippi

JamesSavik

Here are a few images from this summer in Mississippi.

DSCF0419.jpg

This is a hibiscus bush.

la-iris.jpg

This is a Louisiana Iris.

englishdogwoodandazaleas.jpg

English Dogwood (white) with two kinds of Azalea in the background.

2005_0808aug080002.jpg

Monarch butterfly enjoying a butterfly bush.

stjames.jpg

This is the church where I attend a 12-step program. They liked the picture so much, they put it on their homepage.

summertime.jpg

And what would summer be without fishing?

• Like 2

Those are great pics, James.

Thanks.

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

James:)

Ditto...beautiful pictures and scenery and keep those beautiful pictures and thoughts of what Mississippi will once again look like...Hugs to y'all and then some...I hope that you are all doing better...and each day gets better....My thoughts go with you.

Michael

• Like 1

James,

They're all cool looking pics, but that 4th one down with the butterfly wings spread out like that!

Looks like you asked it to just hang out for a second so you could get the perfect picture! It's got some great detail on the wings. :thumbup:

Kel

• Like 1

Here's a few more:

crinium.jpg

This is a Crinium which is also called a Confederate Lily. Sorry folks, this one only grows in the South. I think the humidity trade off is worth it though.

dl-cone-yarr.jpg

Coneflowers, daylilies and yarrow.

cattails.jpg

Cattails at one of my favorite fishing holes.

• Like 1

James, that first picture of the hibiscus looks an awful lot like the 'Rose of Sharon' bushes I have in my yard. Do you know if they are related?

Sharon

I have no idea. It may very be a variety of the same species.

Okay - did a little research and the 'Rose of Sharon' is a hibiscus shrub. I have two the same color as your picture and two that have purple flowers instead of the white. They bloom from mid-May all the way into November.

Sharon

why so many flower pics.

because they won't let me grow pot 0:)

Ah, a kindred spirit. Pot grows in the same conditions that corn does. Unfortunately, the FDA knows that and they routinely fly over corn fields looking for pot plants hidden in the corn fields.

I think the pics are beautiful. I especially like the one of the kid fishing. That, and the fact that if I tried to grow flowers, they'd end up looking like a 5 year old bridal bouquet...no green thumb here.

• Like 1

why so many flower pics.

Ah, a kindred spirit. Pot grows in the same conditions that corn does. Unfortunately, the FDA knows that and they routinely fly over corn fields looking for pot plants hidden in the corn fields.

I think the pics are beautiful. I especially like the one of the kid fishing. That, and the fact that if I tried to grow flowers, they'd end up looking like a 5 year old bridal bouquet...no green thumb here.

Every year when I detassled as a teenager somebody always found pot in the corn fields. :lmao:

• Like 1

why so many flower pics.

Every year when I detassled as a teenager somebody always found pot in the corn fields. :lmao:

It isn't called 'finding' if you simply forgot where you planted it. :)

:king: Snow Dog

why so many flower pics.

It isn't called 'finding' if you simply forgot where you planted it. :)

:king: Snow Dog

That's my story and I am sticking to it! :funny:

• 11 years later...

Bump! Pretty pictures!

Way, way back... the Necromancy is strong with this one!

necromancer.jpg

Edited by jamessavik

What would summer be without fishing - could be the title of a book, inspired by the young boy sitting on the jetty, that could be straight out of Mark Twain - great photos - and the butterfly bush, that's a buddleia 🙄