Message Board Topic For 7/23

When you're reading a story online, and there are many MANY talented authors out there that are writing some VERY good material these days, you may come across a few that really begin to tug on the heartstrings as you read them. Some can make you laugh out loud to yourself, some can make you cry and really ache for the characters, some can infuriate you beyond belief, and some you just identify with to the point of finding a certain peace of mind in the text. What is it about these stories that does that for you?

Is it a literary 'trick'? Is the use of words and descriptions on a once blank screen that strikes a chord in us? Is it the story itself, and the plot twists and lovable characters that does it for you? Or is it just a sense of familiarity with the material? Maybe you only feel that way about certain stories that relate to you personally. Whatever it is, there is something about the stories you read that creates a strong connection with your emotions, and makes the story stick with you long after you're done reading it? In reality, they are only words on a screen. But there's gotta be something else that keeps them close to your heart. What do you think that is?

Give it some thought, and let us know!

• Site Administrator

It isn't going to be one thing. Different things will touch me in different ways.

For example, I remember one story where one particular scene touched me very deeply. It was a character relating what had happened to him over the summer break.

Now, this was a character who hadn't appeared before, so it wasn't the relationship I had with the character that touched me (though that has happened in other stories).

It wasn't that the events were something I had personally experienced (though that has happened in other stories).

It wasn't an overly emotional recitation, either (though that can affect me when it's written well).

It was just the painful, almost dry, recitation of a tragedy -- one that I hope I never have to experience. I suppose you could call it a literary trick in that the recitation was not filled with emotion, but that allowed me to fill in the gaps with my own emotions.

A reader can be touched in many different ways. Trying to find one sure-fire way isn't going to work because every reader is different, coming from a different background and with a different personality. When I described the example above, I've given different ways that I've been touched by stories -- any or all of them could affect me with the next story I read. I won't know what it will be until I read it.

One thing I will say that is consistent. The story has to be written well, because nothing stops the emotion faster than to be jolted out of the story by a sentence that doesn't appear to make sense or a glaring typo.

For me, it's everything in the story and it doesn't have to relate to me personally. Just the way a writer could express his character's emotions in tangible ways are enough to get me going. We only feel emotions, but when a writer compares it to something we see, hear, touch, smell, and taste, that does it for me. Like Graeme, I also think the story has to be well written. One error is enough to get you jolted out of the mood

I think the secret is that the character has to be convincing enough to put the reader in his shoes. A story that is just being 'read' is not being enjoyed; it takes the story inviting the reader to open their thoughts and imagination to the author for the written word to have impact.

Personally, a story that leaves nothing to the imagination turns me off. A writer that points my imagination in the way he / she wants to go then just gives an occasional hint along the way to make sure I'm on the same track as he / she is will usually grab my attention and make me want to continue reading. A perfect example for me is the club in GFD; I can picture it in my head right now because Com gave just enough of a description as the characters interacted in there to be able to piece it together into something real. He didn't give us a detailed floorplan; he dropped hints after the initial quick description the first time they entered the club. Over the lifetime of the story the reader's imagination filled in the gaps and turned it into a familiar place. The same effect is used on characters; you get the basics and then hints to help them become real. Once the imagination is opened up in a story, anything that happens no matter how slight will affect the reader as if they were actually there; the key is already turned on so no attachment is required to make what would be a dry or trivial event by itself into something that grabs the reader and drags them along for the ride.

When I'm reading a story, I have to know the character well before I can feel any large emotion for them. If the author's done a good job of introducing and exploring the main character, then any form of conflict/bad situation will cause me to feel something.

And also, I agree with Graeme and Steven. A bad typo or some form of hideous grammar is enough to ruin the moment.

I don't have much else to say..

Such a vast question and I would love to mull it over and respond with endless examples. Well I shall spare you that and offer only one comment. I have noticed this about myself; I am not really drawn to the physical descriptions of the characters in a story. I am moved by the characterization. Acfan referred to Gone from Daylight. I am not a vampire fan my any means, yet the story entranced me with its strong characters and the relationships established between them. The fantastic physical beauty of the characters was largely irrelevant to me.

I look forward to hearing what other people have to share on this thread.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..