rknapp

I'm sick of my avatar, what should I replace it with? My facebook picture is currently a picture of lightning in the night sky. My avatar on my other forums is the Virginia Tech insignia, but I'm thinking of changing that now to the Pontiac arrowhead, which isn't appropriate here. Any ideas?

I'm sick of my avatar, what should I replace it with? My facebook picture is currently a picture of lightning in the night sky. My avatar on my other forums is the Virginia Tech insignia, but I'm thinking of changing that now to the Pontiac arrowhead, which isn't appropriate here. Any ideas?

I want a new avatar myself!!!

...so no advice, but if anyone has any spare suggestions feel free to lob them my way ;)

-Kevin

You've had that avatar a long time and I instantly associate it with you.

We can't really tell you what a cool avatar might be. To be cool, it must come from you and possibly say something about yourself.

I once had a long discussion on another forum about the psycology of avatars: how people pick them, what they mean to you and what they mean to others.

For instance in a forum elsewhere about tekkie stuff, my avatar was Wiley Coyote. Wiley is a great engineer but he is cursed with bad luck. You can't help but admire his grit. He never gives up and he is one tough coyote.

Please don't be trite! There are more than enough Homer Simpsons. Brian the dog from Family Guy and Looney Tunes characters.

To replace your excellent avatar, you're going to have to come up with something that can top it and that's going to be tough.

That's part of the problem. When I first put it up, it's because it was hot. The only meaning it really has was that I was expressing a side of me no one in real life is allowed to see (the fact that I have any interest men beyond simple friendship). Nowadays, I feel like a slut every time I post. Last time I checked, virgins can't be sluts! lol

The other reason is that I almost feel like it's degrading to GA... so unless everyone says otherwise, I'll look for something else. Maybe if I could find a decent picture of modern day windmills...

• Site Administrator

Pick an avatar that suits you. If that's a picture of a car, then go with it! There's no reason your avatar has to be "gay" -- mine certainly isn't. I've got a habit of choosing Australian images for avatars (and usually photos I've taken myself) because I like people to know I'm Australian. If you want to tell people you like cars, pick a car :D Your problem them moves to what sort of car fits you -- are you a Mini-Minor, a Rolls Royce, a Japanese import, an American muscle car, or something else? :P

it's because it was hot.

It still is.

The only meaning it really has was that I was expressing a side of me no one in real life is allowed to see (the fact that I have any interest men beyond simple friendship).

It expresses something about yourself, as you indicate, so it is appropriate as an avatar.

I feel like a slut every time I post.

I fail to see why.

almost feel like it's degrading to GA

Degrading? Two fully clothed guys expressing affection, degrading to a site that has stories that include descriptions of various sex acts?

Edited by glomph

I am so totally with glomph and James on this one.

I have a completely different context around your avatar. For me, it's real, it's sexy, it's "in your face", but mostly it's "hard". :D

I'd go with the windmill so long as you're hanging off one of it's wings as it goes around. B)

Conner

lol. I mentioned the windmills because one of my passions is energy. As a result, one of my goals is to be involved in a wind-energy program at a major energy company (Shell, Conoco, BP, etc.). Hence my major in engineering. My other energy interest/goal is to refine the hydrogen fuel cell in such a way that fossil fuels play no part in the entire process. They aren't used to make the fuel or cell, and the only product is water from a tailpipe. But such technology is still far beyond our grasp...

And I'm rambling.

I still want to change it though... so we'll see what google images can show me.

We can't really tell you what a cool avatar might be. To be cool, it must come from you and possibly say something about yourself.

I once had a long discussion on another forum about the psycology of avatars: how people pick them, what they mean to you and what they mean to others.

For instance in a forum elsewhere about tekkie stuff, my avatar was Wiley Coyote. Wiley is a great engineer but he is cursed with bad luck. You can't help but admire his grit. He never gives up and he is one tough coyote.

Please don't be trite! There are more than enough Homer Simpsons. Brian the dog from Family Guy and Looney Tunes characters.

To replace your excellent avatar, you're going to have to come up with something that can top it and that's going to be tough.

B) ...........Your right James, I instantly associate your avatar with you, (That really is your picture isn't it?)

clear your cache lately? just a suggestion :)

There we go :P

B) ...........Your right James, I instantly associate your avatar with you, (That really is your picture isn't it?)

No, it's not. I wish, but we can't all be winners :funny:

Just a bit off topic,

But I was having the same problem with my avatar.

How do clear the cache? What is the cache?

Jason R.

PS: Rknapp, your other avatar was nice, but I really like this new one better.

• Site Administrator
How do clear the cache? What is the cache?

Your browser keeps a copy of images (and other items) to save downloading them each time. Sometimes you need to clear your cache to make sure you have the latest version, because the browser doesn't realise that the items have changed.

How to clear it depends on your browser.

For Firefox, click Tools->Clear Private Data, and then make sure Cache is selected to be cleared.

For IE, click Tools->Internet Options and then on the General Tab, click on "Delete Files", then "OK".

PS: Rknapp, your other avatar was nice, but I really like this new one better.

Thanks. All I did was find a decent picture of a wind farm (this one is a concept art of a proprosed wind farm out in California), then added a bevel and the text on the right. It looks a lot better when it was big, but unfortunately GA limit is 90x90.

How the Beast avatar came to be:

Long ago when I was a kid, me and all of my friends were X-men fans. My BF was Arch-angle, my best friend was Havoc and another was Iceman and Nightcrawler.

We didn't take our own nicknames, the group gave it to you.

The group gave me the nickname the Beast. At first I didn't care for it because I was bigger than most kids my age.

The other kids said it wasn't just because I was big and strong but because I am also good natured and smart. That I could live with.

Time passed and I forgot about it but when I wrote my story Broken I remembered it.

Big and strong but smart and gentle struck me as both highly complimentry and describing me fairly well so I kept it.

How the Beast avatar came to be:

Long ago when I was a kid, me and all of my friends were X-men fans. My BF was Arch-angle, my best friend was Havoc and another was Iceman and Nightcrawler.

We didn't take our own nicknames, the group gave it to you.

The group gave me the nickname the Beast. At first I didn't care for it because I was bigger than most kids my age.

The other kids said it wasn't just because I was big and strong but because I am also good natured and smart. That I could live with.

Time passed and I forgot about it but when I wrote my story Broken I remembered it.

Big and strong but smart and gentle struck me as both highly complimentry and describing me fairly well so I kept it.

Ohhh, thanks for the insight! It definitely does sound like it suits you :wub:

Wow, I'm impressed. Two prolific posters, Robbie and Kevin, are sporting new avatars. Good looking, dudes! :great:

Jack B)

Kevin's is hotter, lol.

Me? Prolific poster? Please, I haven't even reached 1200 posts. When I hit 1000 posts on my GP forum I'll consider myself a prolific poster (it's at 800 now). My other car forum is well over 2200 though... damn.

Wow, I'm impressed. Two prolific posters, Robbie and Kevin, are sporting new avatars. Good looking, dudes! :great:

Jack B)

Thanks, Jack! :)

With the commotion of trying to decide a group name for CJ's followers, I've changed my avatar to something a little more gripping.

Jan

LOL, I love it, Jan! :)

Kevin's is hotter, lol.

Thanks, Robbie :)

Me? Prolific poster? Please, I haven't even reached 1200 posts. When I hit 1000 posts on my GP forum I'll consider myself a prolific poster (it's at 800 now). My other car forum is well over 2200 though... damn.

Well combined that's about 4,200! Which in my book is pretty prolific!

That's not fair! You can't combine forums since I joined them all at different times. The biggest one I joined in 2003. The GP I joined a couple weeks before I bought my car. The local GP club I joined either at the end of last year or the beginning of this year. I joined GA around fall 2005...

I've been with the GP club for longer than GA, but GA has more posts from me, so obviously I don't divide my time evenly. So there. :P