Village People

Jack Scribe

I can across the original video of the Village People performing YMCA. Some of the younger members/readers may not be familiar with the group due to it being almost 30 years since they came on the scene with this song. 3 1/2 minutes of great silliness that I to share with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMXAzLftsPo.

Hope you have fun with the performance.

Jack B)

There's a politician I won't mention by name, so that this won't be construed as a political message, but I've seen numerous references to him in terms of the Village People. No one is suggesting that he might be gay, but it has been pointed out that he's photographed in a Navy flyer outfit, or a hardhat, and even more often in a cowboy getup. People ask if he ever puts on a headdress.

So the Village People remain in the consciousness of our culture, and occasionally the news will remind at least some folk about them.

I remember as a little kid that my friends and I LOVED that song, but way back then, the gay themes weren't as obvious.

I wonder...Let's say MTV was around when YMCA first came out. Do you think it would be just as popular? I could see my parents having a fit if they saw that video :D .

I remember as a little kid that my friends and I LOVED that song, but way back then, the gay themes weren't as obvious.

I wonder...Let's say MTV was around when YMCA first came out. Do you think it would be just as popular? I could see my parents having a fit if they saw that video :D .

B) ....When I was a kid my step-dad had a saying he liked to call on all "long hairs", he called them yardbirds, the look on his face when I told him there was a rock n roll band by that name was priceless, he couldn't believe they stole his "name". And he never used it again :P

I remember dancing to that song at my sister's wedding in 1979. My younger gay brother was the dj.

Thanks for that, Jack. :D

Conner

Edited by Conner

They dont do the dance that I learned in the video :(

i thought that dance was from the video

IM CONFUSED!!

The dance you (and most people have learned) was adapted for straight people :lol: . Spelling Y.M.C.A with your hands doesn't require you to move your hips.

Village People... isn't that the lost Cantebury Tale? :lol:

I'm kidding of course. They were classified as disco and I was classified as death before disco. Some relationships just aren't meant to be.

They did have some monster hits- Macho Man, In the Navy, YMCA... they showed up here in Jackson for a Halloween show ~ ten years ago.

oo that does make alot of sense vickie...

but there are other song that makes u shake your hips.. is it thye changed it just cuz of the fact that village people were gay?

i mean what about the twist , the macarena and all the others