Considering a new laptop

Graeme

• Site Administrator

I'm considering getting a personal laptop (my current laptop belongs to work, not me). One major reason is that I'm taking the family on a long vacation next year (a month in the USA) and I wanted to take a laptop for internet access, digital photo storage, and maybe a game or two for the boys (simple stuff, nothing requiring a 'gaming' machine). Longer term, I'll probably make it my main writing machine.

Because it'll be going on lots of plane trips with me (I won't be putting it in my checked in luggage), I'm looking at a lightweight machine that has a long battery life. CPU grunt isn't a priority. I'd prefer it to be less than AUD$2000 (less than USD$1500 allowing for exchange rates and the fact that they always charge more in Australia).

I've found a few models that look promising, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any recommendations. I've even looked at the Eee PC from Asus which is very tempting (except that the boys favourite games won't run on it since it's Linux based).

Any suggestions?

Two of the more popular US brands are Dell and HP- with basic models ranging from 500-1200 US$ depending on configuration.

They are being shipped with XP or Vista per your choice.

HP is my hardware choice. I have a lot of experience with the brand and know the ins and outs of their warrenty and support systems.

There are Dell users who are just as loyal.

There are a lot of other big named brands but they have various issues- not something that you want to hear when you are about to shell out a pile of dollars for a lap top.

Both dell and hp have web based systems that allow you to to configure and price a machine to your requirements.

I'd also suggest looking at an apple macbook. with the new OSX Leopard and an intel based chipset you can have the mac dual boot to either OSX or Windows xp or Vista. Down side is you will have to purchase a copy of windows to do this. Another downside is price. Macbooks run from $1099.00 to $1499.00 US.

Other then that I would go with Jame's recomendation of HP, I have two a notebook and a desktop and never have had issues with either. The Dell's I had the pleasure of playing with though :wacko:

Steve

Dells are hit-or-miss it seems. The only issue I've had with my Inspiron 9300 is the SD card reader doesn't work. Others have screen issues and such. A couple friends of mine have software issues, but I blame that on AOL (they all use it, unfortunately).

That said, I would recommend a Dell... I would also advise against any and all Apple products largely because they are the most proprietary pieces of crap you'll ever come across, and can be a nightmare coming from a windows based system. Besides that, if you want repairs, upgrades, or a replacement battery for an Apple, it has to be sent to them... can't do it from home or a store. Same goes for HP (except the battery and maybe some upgrades, though HP upgrades and replacement stuff must be bought from HP).

Graeme,

You said that you were looking for a lightweight notebook. I have a Sony that with the power adapter weighs about 2.5 lbs and has battery life of up to 6 hours. I love it, it's perfect for my use at school. It weighs less than most of my textbooks. The problem is that it's too expensive for what you want, about $2,500 U.S. Fujitsu has a similar lightweight laptop that's under $1,500 U.S. I think it's named "Lightbook". A couple of people here at Cal have this model, and like it a lot -- no complaints or problems. It doesn't have the long battery life of my Sony, but it's over $1,000 U.S. less expensive. I'm pretty sure Fujitsu laptops are sold in Australia. You might want to check it out.

One thing about lightweight laptops: the keys and keyboard are smaller. Make sure you can type on it without making lots of errors by striking multiple keys simultaneously.

Colin B)

I've had a long string of laptops for work and play. I go for portability - small size and light weight - because I take mine all sorts of places and a heavy or bulky laptop will wear you out quick.

My current personal laptop is a black Macbook. As Shadowgod mentioned, it'll run about any OS you want - OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. It's small, light, and the hardware is top notch. It also looks slick as hell.

My current business laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T60. Although it's not pretty, it's very tough and reasonably lightweight.

My advice when looking is to check out devices that are billed as "subnotebooks" or look for business-class machines. I find that they tend to have the features I want with fewer useless frills. The stuff you see on the sales floor at Best Buy tend to be bulky desktop replacement machines that are so big and heavy that they barely qualify as "portable". A 17" screen? Yikes. And to keep the cost down, they often sacrifice the nifty technologies that let the cutting edge machines stay small, light and cool.

Dez

I would say go for an HP Laptop. Also, now that Vista is out, please get a lot of memory....lots and lost of memory (2-4gig preferably).

I'll second the "lots of memory" but mention that you can avoid the headaches of Vista by avoiding the miserable thing and getting XP.

I'm no fan of XP (I still run 2k pro on my main system for that reason) but it doesn't have anywhere near the overhead or problems of Vista.

Or simply get the macbook, it's real good, and you'll certainly avoid all the headaches of windows

I have to admit, I've never used a Mac, ever, but I'm thinking of taking a look. Years ago they were known for having less system-level access then PC's, so they were harder to tweak and configure, but Windows has, sadly, with each successive release further dumbed down its interface. For example, there's a heck of a lot I can do with batch files that I can't do with out-of-the-box XP, unless I patch in a different command-line command processor. (I prefer an old version of 4Dos that I have, but it gives XP conniptions on some things)

So, I now wonder about MAcs... I'll at least take a look at the newer ones, though I suspect price will keep me away. I also don't like the hardware issues; for one thing, I always build my own desktop systems, and I've heard that you just can't get the parts to customize Macs that easily.

I have to admit, I've never used a Mac, ever, but I'm thinking of taking a look. Years ago they were known for having less system-level access then PC's, so they were harder to tweak and configure, but Windows has, sadly, with each successive release further dumbed down its interface. For example, there's a heck of a lot I can do with batch files that I can't do with out-of-the-box XP, unless I patch in a different command-line command processor. (I prefer an old version of 4Dos that I have, but it gives XP conniptions on some things)

So, I now wonder about MAcs... I'll at least take a look at the newer ones, though I suspect price will keep me away. I also don't like the hardware issues; for one thing, I always build my own desktop systems, and I've heard that you just can't get the parts to customize Macs that easily.

As I said before (I think I did anyway...), you'll find that Mac's are the most proprietary systems the world over. Customizers will cry because of how proprietary they are. You have to make sure that the configuration you purchase one with will be enough for the next ten years.

My current business laptop is an IBM Thinkpad T60. Although it's not pretty, it's very tough and reasonably lightweight.

I'd second this. I've had a Thinkpad T40 for about 3 years now, carrying it around with me from home to work daily. I know people who own other laptops who refuse to do this because they know theirs won't hold up. It's survived being dropped twice, with the CD drive popping out the second time, a phone call to customer service later, and they had a replacement shipped to me overnight, free.

The brand name has changed to Lenovo (Chinese owned now), and I've heard some rumors that the hard drives may be a bit flaky, but it's still the default laptop for most every major business.

You've got two basic choices: there's the X series which is less than 3 pounds, with a 12 inch screen, battery life probably up to 8 hours, and then there's the T series (or the R series that may be similar) that's less than 5 pounds, with a 14 or 15 inch screen, battery life up to 6 hours, and is a bit cheaper per feature since they've got more space to put things. I went for the bigger screen to ease eyestrain, but for portability, smaller's the way to go.

Two other things: I'd definitely buy a battery upgrade (the default batteries probably last half as long as I've listed), but this will weigh a bit more.

Also, for any laptop you end up getting, if RAM prices look exorbitant, RAM is so cheap these days just buy the same model elsewhere and replace it yourself -- RAM is about the only component that's standard among laptops and easy to replace.

Best,

--Raro

• Site Administrator

Thanks everyone! Sorry I haven't been joining in, but this is my first chance to log into GA since I made the initial post.

I've been looking at the Dell and HP's, so that agrees with what is listed above. My main complaint with the Dell (from their site) is that I can't choose NOT to take some of the software. That means I'm paying for things I don't want. Also, they only come with Vista -- they're not offering XP.

The one store I made enquires at also mentioned the Sonys for the long battery life, so that agrees with what Colin said. They also mentioned the higher price....

I'll have to check out the Thinkpad. I've seen the Lenovo's, but I was avoiding the lesser known brands. If they are based on the IBM, I'll looking into them.

I haven't looked seriously at the non-Windows options, simply because of the setup required. I'm a Unix person by background (I call myself a Unix bigot) so I can work my around any of the various Unix/Linux flavours with confidence. Where I have no experience is with setting up Unix networks, and wireless networks in particular. That's the main reason I probably won't go ahead with one of them.

For tax reasons, I'll be buying the laptop only a few weeks before I fly out (if I buy it within 30 days of travelling, I can claim the tax back as I fly out). That doesn't give me much time for learning a new system -- hence why I'll probably stick with Windows.

If I had more money to spare, I'd also look at the Toshiba Portege -- mainly because I know that's going to be my next work laptop. Unfortunately, they are as pricey as the Sony....

Thinkpad is good. My roommate's boyfriend has it and he loves it. I like it too.

Think about online shopping. It might be cheaper for you to buy a laptop from the US thanks to better exchange rate these days. Don't forget to consider the shipping and custom duties to the cost. ;)

I'm still a fan of HP/Dell...I always have good experience with them. :)

A few things to consider before jumping on the Apple bandwagon:

Does the software you need exist in Apple-land? While Apple has tons of software in some areas like imaging and layout, there are other areas where the pickings are slim. Make sure to look closely at this well in advance of bringing home a Mac.

What sort of legacy data are you going to have to deal with and is it going to be a deal-breaker? Got lots of data on your PC? Word processing, spreadsheets, databases, special applications software? Moving that legacy data to an Apple platform may or may NOT be a trivial exercise... and one that you need to consider carefully before you jump ship.

What is the REAL cost of converting to Apple? How much are you going to have to spend to purchase new software? How much are you going to pay to integrate the Apple into the existing mix of equipment that you currently use? How much is it going to cost to integrate the Apple into your existing network?

Apples are easier to use but don't be fooled: there is a learning curve. It will take you some time to become as adept at using your Mac than the PC that you have been using for years. This is a subtle part of the cost of changing platforms that you have to keep in mind. e.g. Buying a Mac a week before the most important proposal of your life probably isn't a very good idea.

• Site Administrator

Good questions, James :)

However, this is going to be in addition to our home PC. I already use Open Office which is available on an of the platforms I'm looking at. The primary uses while we're away will be:

1. Internet access so I can check out what we're doing next (eg. maps, etc)

2. Email access so we can keep in touch with whoever is looking after our house while we're away.

3. Downloading pictures off the digital camera

4. Playing some games (for the boys). These will either be on the internet, or PC games (since we currently own any other sort).

Later on, I'll use it around the house for writing. Most file transfers are likely to be via USB drive.

I'm not rushing into anything, but I really appreciate all the advice that's been given. Thanks everyone!

...I'll have to check out the Thinkpad. I've seen the Lenovo's, but I was avoiding the lesser known brands. If they are based on the IBM, I'll looking into them.

My dad's company buys Lenovo Thinkpads. I worked there last summer as an PC support / client support intern, and had lots of hands-on with both their desktops and laptops. I'd say if they are light enough for your needs, and the price is right, they are very good. I'd also go with the battery upgrade that Raro recommends. The standard battery in the X series gives only about 2-1/4 hours use. Going with the high-cell battery will more than double that IF you enable all of the power saving options in battery-operated mode. It adds weight and sticks out the back, but IMO it's worth it. The long battery life of my Sony T140P is (after its light weight) the most important feature for me.

...If I had more money to spare, I'd also look at the Toshiba Portege -- mainly because I know that's going to be my next work laptop. Unfortunately, they are as pricey as the Sony....

Take a look at the Fujitsu LifeBook T2010. It's a lightweight 3.5 lb tablet PC that sells in stores where I live in the SF Bay Area for $1,500 to $1,600 U.S., and Newegg.com has it for $1,400. One of the people in my dorm has one, and he loves it. He uses the tablet feature in class a lot, it makes it very compact for using in class. He said that when he flew home for Thanksgiving, he used it on the plane for viewing a wide-screen movie. If it's sold and serviced in Australia check it out. BTW, it ships with Windows XP Tablet Edition, not Vista.

I will say that the downside of any lightweight laptop is the size of the screen -- you need good eyesight or good contacts/glasses :blink: -- and the keyboard is cramped compared to a normal PC keyboard. What's funny is that I've gotten so used to the keyboard on my Sony that using a regular KB feels really weird and I make a lot more typos! :wacko:

Colin B)

Yes one thing to remember is that as you go up in screen size, you go up in weight. My Inspiron 9300 has a 17" wide screen monitor. I got it that way because I never intended on bringing it to class and I needed it to act as my desktop did at home... then I brought my desktop down to school LMAO. The laptop gets to be overbearing sometimes, but I've learned to live with it. The thing has to run for five years of schooling (2.5 years to go, five semesters). At which point I'll reevaluate the need for a laptop, especially if my future career requires one, and I'll get something much smaller to run spreadsheet and presentation software, as well engine performance software (hehehe :devil: .).. I just hope I don't need anything powerful enough to run CAD and modeling software on the go... yikes!

• Site Administrator
Take a look at the Fujitsu LifeBook T2010. It's a lightweight 3.5 lb tablet PC that sells in stores where I live in the SF Bay Area for $1,500 to $1,600 U.S., and Newegg.com has it for $1,400. One of the people in my dorm has one, and he loves it. He uses the tablet feature in class a lot, it makes it very compact for using in class. He said that when he flew home for Thanksgiving, he used it on the plane for viewing a wide-screen movie. If it's sold and serviced in Australia check it out. BTW, it ships with Windows XP Tablet Edition, not Vista.

It ships in Australia, but it appears to be a touch more expensive here... like almost double :blink:

I think I'll keep looking....

It ships in Australia, but it appears to be a touch more expensive here... like almost double :blink:

I think I'll keep looking....

Graeme,

That $2,800 is AU$, so it's not quite double. Also, I think what Newegg's selling is a different variant than your Australian reseller.

You could buy it while you're here in the U.S. if you're willing to face Australian customs folks when you return! Here's the link on Newegg's site: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110279.

Colin B)

• 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator
Please keep us posted on what you choose, and I'll add my only bit of advice; stay away from Ashton digital. The one I've had has been a pain since day one.

I bought it today. After checking out the option of buying it duty free, I realised it probably wasn't going to be worth it, as it would blow most of the entire family's duty free allowance.

One of the local stores was having a four day laptop sale, so I got a Compaq Presario B1900 for AUD$1500.

Ultralight, which was one of my key criteria, though the battery life isn't as long as I would like. I've asked about a longer life battery and the store is checking it out for me -- they've never been asked before I couldn't tell me how much it would cost. :blink: They'll get back to me on Monday.

It has Vista on it, and that's already caused me a few headaches, but I'm working my way through it. I've gotten it connected to my home wireless network (as witnessed by this post -- the first from the new laptop), but it took me a while. I had to fire up the old laptop and read the article above to find out how to turn the wireless on -- it was off by default. Then I had to get the security settings right -- but now it's working like a dream.

Then Vista downloaded 44 patches to install -- and when I told it to restart, it took over 30 minutes to shutdown!!! I ended up killing the power, because I didn't know what was going on.

It's going to be an interesting learning experience. I'm going to hit Vista sooner or later for work, anyway, so now's a good time to play around with it. I've got OpenOffice and Firefox installed. Next is the anti-virus software I want and some IM clients.

Slowly but steadily, I'll get there :D

Thanks again, everyone, for all your advice. :worship:

• Site Moderator

Now that your laptop has caught up with the updates, it shouldn't take so long next time it needs to restart. Not all updates that come in for Vista will require a restart.

well, too late for any recommendations now *lol*, but it sounds like a good deal to me anyway.

IMHO, Vista is a real pain in the neck. I know many of my commercial customers will NOT get any systems with Vista installed. Seems Microsoft got that message now too... XP Pro will be supported for at least until the next ("after Vista") OS will be ready to ship... but well, if Vista does the job for you, then all is well (*keeps fingers crossed* ;-)). But if you do have too much trouble with Vista, then try to get a XP Pro license. I am pretty sure you can get all the drivers needed for your notebook. And maybe you can even get a license from HP/Compaq. But i hope you don't have too much trouble with Vista so you don't have to "downgrade".

• Site Administrator
But i hope you don't have too much trouble with Vista so you don't have to "downgrade".

When I was doing my research, I found one online store that allowed me to choose XP instead of Vista. The problem was that they charged EXTRA to do so, AND if the machine ever needed to be restored from CD, it would restore as Vista. It sounded like some sort of O/S change laid over the top of Vista, rather than a clean XP install.

I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to computers. I can live with 'issues' rather than looking to get them fixed. For example, I knew before I bought this laptop I was going to have to get used to it, because it didn't have standard keys for "Home" and "End" -- two keys I use a lot when writing. Instead, I have to use the FN button to get to these. It's a quirk I'll get used to, I'm sure :)