I guess the topic description says it all. That, and this snippet from an article I found:

"The film [Lan Yu] is based on the Internet novel Beijing Story, which was published anonymously in 1996 and spread like wildfire among China

Edited by corvus
I guess the topic description says it all. That, and this snippet from an article I found:

"The film [Lan Yu] is based on the Internet novel Beijing Story, which was published anonymously in 1996 and spread like wildfire among China's gay population, becoming the most widely read text ever to emerge from the underground there.

"The novel is a sexually explicit, unapologetic gay love story and unlike anything that had ever been publicly available in China before. Its author adopted the ironic moniker Beijing Comrade (the Chinese word for comrade, "tongzhi," having become a slang term meaning gay) and Beijing Story pioneered the idea of publishing illicit Chinese fiction on the Internet, setting a precedent that has since been copied by others."

The writing and story isn't too far from pulp fiction, but that doesn't make it any less of a good read. And as the article states, the novel was adapted into a film by a Hong Kong director, which is an impressive feat because homosexuality doesn't officially exist in China.

Beware, this is a SAD story. Tissues may be needed. Lots of it. Here is the link.

PS It's translated from Chinese, and the Chinese use lots of sayings that may seem really weird. For instance: "I looked at him and my heart felt as if a spice rack had toppled inside, tasting I didn't know what." Don't worry, the author isn't mad. It's just a different culture.

B) ........Unfortunately, IT has blocked access to this link, I don't know why, but if it is overseas (Taiwan, China or Hong Kong..I have a good idea why). So There are no Gays in China either? With Iran, that makes two, I wonder how many other countries do not have Gays in their midst?