MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #45

They say that memories always shine brighter than our current reality, and I believe there's some truth in that. When I think back to my first experiences of love and sex, it seems so dreamy and surreal and wonderful beyond words. But I'm sure, that in reality, they were probably clumsy, and awkward, and terrifying beyond my worst nightmares. Hehehe! But that's a part of experience, that's what builds us up from the ground. You know?

There have been times when I wanted to do an actual 'true' account of one of my experiences growing up. I mean, most of my stories are written with a lot of truth to them, but none of have really been MY LIFE spread out there for everyone to see. I always distance myself fom it a bit by creating characters and making a 'story' out of it. The question this week is...

= What are your feelings on 'true' stories that you read online? =

Is there an extra 'spark' in the story for you, knowing that it really happened to somebody? Or do you not believe half of the so-called true stories that are told out there? Would you ever write one yourself, and allow your true memory of it be put out there for other people to enjoy? What are some of your thoughts on this?

Looking back, I don't think any of my teenage experiences would make very good stories! Hehehe, sex was really easy back then for some odd reason. Wha do you think? The board is open! :)

I've actually read memoirs on Nifty that were so boringly written that I actually had to remind myself that they actually hapenned to somebody. True stories, to me, can make for better content, but it still takes that spark that makes a character someone you want to read about, ficitonal or not. If the writer is good enough, all stories feel like "true" stories

When I think about 'true stories' and how I would write them out...to be honest, they're not nearly as fun. Or special, or romantic. Hehehe! Like...at ALL! When I was younger and experiencing them first hand, it was like the world had exploded and every day was a shower of candy. But looking back at it, I wasn't really all that mature with my feelings, I don't think. My first sexual experience with a boy just sorta...'happened'. It was at my house, it was on the couch, and it was basically just a matter of taking a chance that he'd wanna do something. I was 13, and he was interested, and it happened. Then there was Seth, which just 'happened' after wrestling in his attic for a while and getting all hot and bothered by it. And my first 'boyfriend'...hehehe, I NEVER expected to really be able to ever sleep with him! I wanted to, but he was one of those guys that seemed to damn cute to want to have anything to do with me, you know? He was gorgeous....literally grgeous! Tall, blond, light brown eyes, well 'endowed', basketball team...didn't seem the type. I invited him over to the house, and HE made the first move. His first time at my house, ever. Hehehe! Again...it just 'happened'. Typical Nifty story stuff, and it didn't take any kind of real depth or explanation.

So I think I'll stick to the creative stuff instead. There isn't really much to write about in the way of romantic rendezvous and happy endings. Now...heartache, pain, big mistakes, and regret...? THAT I can write about until the sun burns out! :) But everything else was half dumb luck and half youthful experimentation. I MISS those days someimes!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I find true to life stories are always tainted by perspective. People always seem to either a] try and 'big themselves up' or b] put themselves down. I'm aware that creative writers pour a lot of themselves into their characters (generally) but when you're writing about yourself it's hard to get a perspective on whatever situation you are writing about. You're not writing with a plot or a character's growth or something in mind. You're writing in a way that makes you look best or like the victim or whatever.

Then there are the inevitable moments that will make you look bad that the writers invariably leave out, creating an incomplete story.

I think if you're writing about yourself and what actually happened to you then you need to - in a sense - treat it like a creative writing exercise, otherwise the world you're creating is incomplete. But then you're not really writing a memoir as such.

I don't know. Is this all seeming like incorehent babble?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..