computer problems.

i'm sure there's a topic like this elsewhere on this forum but it's kind of urgent so i don't have time to dig.

but anyway.

since about the start of the new year my computer's been a piece of crap and contracting every single virus it trips over.

it never used to do this! like a month and a half ago i reinstalled windows because it got so bad and it behaved for a while, but then it got everything back again and now i get nonstop pop-ups and it's telling me i have serious spyware threats... SO.

i even avoided downloading limewire after i reinstalled windows because that one was a problem causer.

but is there anywhere i can get GOOD free anti-virus/spyware stuff?

i can't even do a system restore because it was clever and disabled all the previous restore points.

help?

Take it out back and shoot it. Then buy a Mac. Best grand I ever spent. :axeman:

EDIT: I should mention that Macs rarely catch viruses, if ever, because they can't run the program file extensions that most viruses use. Something to ponder...

Hi Billy,

Download the following three free programs, then get the latest definition updates, and then do full system scans. The first two programs together usually find and get rid of most any spyware/adware. Run them one at a time. The last program is an anti-virus program. I use it to protect all my dedicated servers plus all my computers at home/work. Use it to do a full system scan last and then let it run all the time to protect you against getting any new viruses.

Ad-Aware

Spybot Search & Destroy

AVG

If you need anything else let me know and I'll do my best to give you a hand.

~gary.

Edit Reason: Clarifications.

Edited by GaryInMiami
Hi Billy,

Download the following three free programs, then get the latest definition updates, and then do full system scans. The first two programs together usually find and get rid of most any spyware/adware. Run them one at a time. The last program is an anti-virus program. I use it to protect all my dedicated servers plus all my computers at home/work. Use it last and let it run all the time.

Ad-Aware

Spybot Search & Destroy

AVG

If you need anything else let me know and I'll do my best to give you a hand.

~gary.

These three programs are fantastic, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Personally, I prefer Avast over AVG, though most of my friends use AVG and are just as virus free as I am.

If you do get Limewire again, get Peer Gaurdian as well, it helps with some security issues.

Avast

Peer Gaurdian

Make sure you get Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (where Gary's link points) and not a different program. I tried to get my dad to use Ad-Aware once and somehow he ended up with some piece of crap software called Adware.

Billy-

I endorse the reccomendations so far. As for Limeware, just say no. If there is a more secure alternative, that's the one you want to go with. Limeware and its dofus cousin Kazaa are notorious back doors into your system.

PM me if you've got any specific questions.

Good luck pal,

James

I concur wholeheartedly with the first three programs introduced here. But here is a better procedure for running them:

1. Download all three and make sure they are all completely up to date.

2. Run Ad-Aware.

3. Reboot into safe mode and then run Spybot: Search and Destroy.

4. Reboot into normal mode and run Ad-Aware, then Spybot once more (to be sure they get everything, they should report a clean system).

5. Run AVG.

6. Reboot again (if you like, to clear the system memory) and set AVG to constantly monitor your system.

7. Run Ad-Aware and Spybot once every one or two weeks.

This is what any computer-savvy person does to keep their system clean and running efficiently. It also helps to run disk cleanup and to defragment your hard disk drives at least once a month.

If some virus' remain, specifically trojans, then you should also consider a program called Trojan Remover. Trojan Remover was written to aid in the removal of Trojan Horses and Internet Worms when standard anti-virus software has either failed to detect the problem or is unable to effectively eliminate it. I used it once when I had a persistant trojan virus that neither Ad-Aware nor Spybot could successfully remove from my systen. TR essentially grabbed the thing and ripped it out.

The majority of Virus and Trojan Scanners are well able to detect malicious Trojan Horses and Internet Worms but are not always very efficient in removing them once they have been triggered.

Trojan

Remover was written specifically to carry out such a removal without the user having to manually edit system files, including the Registry.

The program also removes the additional system modifications some Trojans carry out which are ignored by other Virus and Trojan Scanners.

Trojan Remover examines the system files, including Windows Registry and will determine the programs and files that are loaded at boot time. The majority of Trojan Horses (once triggered) are loaded this way.

Trojan Remover will scan ALL the files loaded at boot time for Remote Access Trojans ('backdoors', like NetBus, SubSeven, Optix Pro, Back Orifice etc.), Internet Worms and other malware.

For each identified Trojan Horse, Worm, or other malware, Trojan Remover will pop up an alert screen showing the file location and name; it will offer to remove the program's reference from the system files and allow you to rename the file to stop its activation.

One more thing. What browser do you use? If you're still using Internet Explorer, STOP! Download Firefox, Maxthon, or Opera and use those. The only reason IE is still on my system is because Microsoft occasionally requires you to use it to download OS updates and such. Besides that, it's the worst browser on the planet and is a large reason for virus' and spyware getting onto peoples' computers.

Also, don't bother getting a Mac. The only reason that Macs are largely virus free is because they are not mainstream, and so hackers and such write code for Windows to hit as many people as they can. The Mac OS is so terrible that it isn't worth going to. If you want the fancy stuff that Apple puts into their OS, then get Vista Ultimate. You can have the cool stuff that Macs have while still being a user friendly system (once the security features are toned down, anyway).

Edited by rknapp
1. Download all three and make sure they are all completely up to date.

2. Run Ad-Aware.

3. Reboot into safe mode and then run Spybot: Search and Destroy.

4. Reboot into normal mode and run Ad-Aware, then Spybot once more (to be sure they get everything, they should report a clean system).

5. Run AVG.

6. Reboot again (if you like, to clear the system memory) and set AVG to constantly monitor your system.

7. Run Ad-Aware and Spybot once every one or two weeks.

This is a good suggestion when you're dealing with a known problem. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

If some virus' remain, specifically trojans, then you should also consider a program called Trojan Remover.

Trojan Remover works as well as most trojan detection and removal software. It's only free for the first 30 days. Again a good recommendation.

Also, don't bother getting a Mac.

Let's please not go off-topic and get into an OS battle. Whatever OS works best for your needs is what you should be using. That is why I ignored Brad's mention of the Mac. :)

Edited by GaryInMiami
Also, don't bother getting a Mac. The only reason that Macs are largely virus free is because they are not mainstream, and so hackers and such write code for Windows to hit as many people as they can.

Didn't know that. Well in that case, MACS R TEH SUXORZ! NEVER BUY ONE EVER!!!!11 :P

This thread is for discussing the problem with viri, trojans, etc. Please keep the Mac Vs. PC wars out of this thread as the subject is important, especially to the first poster who is asking for your help. I think there are Mac vs. PC threads around here, and if not, or not current, they can certainly be started, but please keep this thread on-topic so we can help lesfeuxdemoncoeur, plus any others with similar issues.

I'll weigh in with some advice; Ditch Limewire. That is likely one of the sources of the adware, and the adware (Spyware, mallware, I consider it all much the same) is, from the sound of it, causing much of the trouble. There are plenty of other sources, of course, but Limewire is a known route. I've heard some claims that if limewire is obtained directly from the company, it is no longer (which means they once did, and may again) bundled with maulware.

Any program that auto-updates is a potential security breech. With an auto-update, the people behind the program can install anything on your system. I don't let any program, including windows, auto-update.

Get a decent firewall. These help a great deal.

I very much like both Adaware and AVG.

Good luck.

CJ

I always have virus on my computer and it practically ruined my life! lol. But it took me long time to fix my computer. I had to download anit-virus program, and it took me about, I don't really remember, maybe few hours or two days to finish downloading the anit-virus program. So far, I don't have virus on my computer since then and I am so glad. :)

I always have virus on my computer and it practically ruined my life! lol. But it took me long time to fix my computer. I had to download anit-virus program, and it took me about, I don't really remember, maybe few hours or two days to finish downloading the anit-virus program. So far, I don't have virus on my computer since then and I am so glad. :)

That's great news Mike. Welcome to GA! Hopefully we can get the same outcome for Billy.

• Site Administrator

AVG and Spybot are what I run on my machines and I've never had a problem. I also use ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

Having said that, I suspect your problem is not viruses as such, but trojans. It's a technical difference, but in the first case you're attacked. In the later, you voluntarily accept the software that is causing you a problem. Some trojans masquerade as legitimate programs, and these are the ones that the anti-virus software picks up and detects, but some are legitimate functions of programs that you've accepted somehow. Pop-up ads are an example of this -- something you've installed on your machine (whether you realised it or not), is allowing this to happen. As far as anti-virus software is concerned, you've told the system it's legitimate so they don't stop it.

Essentially, be paranoid about downloading software onto your system. Do some checks on the internet (Google is your friend :D ) to see if anyone has reported problems or issues with the software. Don't click on those pop-ups on websites that say 'do you want to install XYZ?'.

Otherwise, I think you've been given some great advice on how to clean up your system. Keeping it clean is up to you....

Bah!

I used to use Norton Antivirus in the good old days...Switched over to Norton Internet Security in the good days...Then to McAfee Internet Security in the days...

All Crap! and extremely heavy!

Now, I'm smarter...I use AVG with Spyware Terminator. The spyware program is so fussy that it even asks my permission to run .dll files required by programs (once only, though..not each time I run them)

For example, I install Yahoo! Messenger...it'll ask me if I want to run the 'setup.exe' file...and once I have installed it, and click to run the messenger, it'll ask me if i want to 'run' the dll files required to start the messenger.

Many would find this irritating, but I again point out that once you give access, it'll remember that and not bother you again with that software... quite nifty...

:)

BeaStKid

Damn. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm concerned we haven't heard from Billy. Does anyone know how to contact him in RL? Preferably a moderator like Graeme or someone who clearly knows him like James?

Sorry- no word from Billy. :(

I know a lot of people won't like this but here goes: I use Norton Internet Security. Why? Because it has everything I need in one bundle: firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, email filtering.

I update it every year and not having to worry about this firewall, that anti-virus and those spyware killers is worth $30.

Downside: NIS is a resource hog especially when it is scanning the system but if you are running a fast system with enough memory, it won't be so bad. Just scedule it to run when you are at work or asleep.

Also, if you have or are going to have Firefox, there's a free add-on I found the other day that I would recommend to anyone.

It's called NoScript, and what it does is blocks scripts on webpages. What that means is, many webpages have external scripts running through their webpages (ie Javascript) in order to run things like the annoying as hell ads and flash cartoons. NoScript blocks these scripts. So, most of the ads on websites are blocked. It also lets you allow scripts for trusted sites, as some sites (like the new Yahoo! mail) don't work without some scripts running. But even then, you can set it up to only allow the needed scripts.

This also stops most scripts thats install adware, spyware, and viruses.

Wow, I just re-read what I typed and realized I sound like an infomercial. O_o

But anyway, it is like totally mega awesome.

As for virus scanners, I concur on Avast and AVG. My desktop has Avast, and my laptop has AVG, lol. Equally good in my opinion.

I also like Ad-aware and Spybot.

Here is the link for NoScript.

Hope I was helpful!

^_~

Well, I'm a woefully irresponsible and lazy computer user. My general approach to these things is to completely ignore them until it gets so bad I have to do a system recovery, and then when that quits working I buy a new computer. Like I said, lazy and irresponsible, but I justify it by pointing out how quickly old computers become obsolete anyway.

I know a lot of people won't like this but here goes: I use Norton Internet Security. Why? Because it has everything I need in one bundle: firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, email filtering.

I'd be remiss in not pointing out that I'm consistent when it comes to these kinds of things.

Whatever works best for you is what you should be using. :)

It might not be what I'd choose, but it's really quite irrelevant.

Well, I'm a woefully irresponsible and lazy computer user. My general approach to these things is to completely ignore them until it gets so bad I have to do a system recovery, and then when that quits working I buy a new computer. Like I said, lazy and irresponsible, but I justify it by pointing out how quickly old computers become obsolete anyway.

Kevvers my love :wub: , please set a good example for the rest of us. cheek_kiss.gif

The main purpose here is get get Billy some computer help.

Edited by GaryInMiami

haha ok so update.

i think i'm making slow progress. or this is what i'm telling myself.

i've run the spybot search and destroy a bunch of times and it claims to eliminate them, but then i run the scan again and they respawn.

now when i do it in safemode, it gets rid of a bunch but then says that there's one it can't get rid of without restarting.

so i restart.

and then when i sign in, it shows my desktop background and that's it. and i try to use task manager but that's been disabled so i have to restart, and when i do that it's like all the problems are back.

now why do i say i feel like progress is happening? well the first time i ran spybot s&d in safe mood it found over 70 problems, but the last time i did it, it only found 30ish. and now i'm running AVG (again) and it's also finding less than it did last time.

so... either there're less problems left... or they got better at hiding from the programs.

i'm not noticing any difference in performance yet, and i do suspect that eventually i'll have to fold and reinstall windows. but i'll keep trying. i think graeme is right about the trojans because this all started (or at least got severely worse) when i accidentally clicked a pop up on myspace and the computer got out of control, and shortly after there were all these things telling me i needed to get spyware removal and yack yack yack, and i know for sure one of the things i took as my computer helping me was actually malicious software.

so maybe i'm not making progress. who knows?

thanks so much for helping though, everyone.

i'll leave another thing if anything happens.

You seem to be making progress Billy.

Some of these injection cannot be vanquished even with a reinstall of Windows.

They're the ones that have infected your HD's master book record (MBR) and are far more difficult to get rid of. If it comes to that I can help you with it.

Also, some of these nasties can make it look like Ad-Aware, et all are working when in fact they are not. Some of them can disable your firewall too.

My recommentation based on what I know is to deal with the any potential MBR issue and then reinstall Window.

Ultimately it depends on you to keep this crap from getting on your computer. :)

Standard disclaimer: I've got a wicked migraine. I'm on heavy-duty narcotics. I claim ownership of my mistakes even if I might not be aware of them right now.

so assuming there's a problem with the MBR, what do i do?

(almost right after i put up my last post, it said there was a visual run time problem or something and i'm back to my background being up with no icons and just this browser window to work with. bah.)

I got a wicked migraine today Billy Not much use to anyone. I can help with the the MBR problem which at this point seems like the best route to take. Please give me until Monday to recover enough to be helpful to you. If anyone else can talk Billy through whsts neceeary including an fdisk and format before installing Windows please do so.

Standard disclaimer: I've got a wicked migraine. I'm on heavy-duty narcotics. I claim ownership of my mistakes even if I might not be aware of them right now.

I got a wicked migraine today Billy Not much use to anyone. I can help with the the MBR problem which at this point seems like the best route to take. Please give me until Monday to recover enough to be helpful to you. If anyone else can talk Billy through whsts neceeary including an fdisk and format before installing Windows please do so.

yeah take as long as you need. i can do school work on my mom's laptop so it's no biggie.