GaryK

New Stories or Chapters  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find out about them?

• GA Announcement Forum Subscriptions
    • RSS Feeds
    • GA Members/Friends
    • Other (Please Explain)

I recently discovered the RSS Feeds for story announcements. I find them to be the most reliable and convenient method for me to learn about newly released stories or chapters.

If you're using RSS Feeds please let us know what reader or notification tool you're using.

I'm using Feed Sidebar for Firefox. It's not perfect, but it's the best solution I've found so far.

Edited by GaryInMiami

I use the Forum Subscription for the individual author's forum as an announcer. Usually, the announcement of a new chapter is made in his forum before he has a chance to announce them in the Announcement Forum....that is what happens with dkstories.. :P

The topic of the new Topic tells me that a new chapter/story has been posted. And the first post almost always contains a link. The new topic notification is set as such that the first post is always shown in the mail, so I am in no harm of discovering spoilers.

:)

BeaStKid

• Site Administrator

I use an old fashioned method -- I go look :P

I usually start with the forums, and check to see if anyone has started a thread on a new story or chapter. I then go check out the places where the stories are hosted to see if there's anything new.

It depends,, I find out that new chapter are posted either cause it's the specific day that the author post his new chapter (ex: tuesdays for CJ or Fridays for myself) or in the announcement forum. Also, something that help, some of the author I read makes the mention in his signature,,,

Edited by FrenchCanadian

I usually start with the forums, and check to see if anyone has started a thread on a new story or chapter. I then go check out the places where the stories are hosted to see if there's anything new.

It depends,, I find out that new chapter are posted either cause it's the specific day that the author post his new chapter (ex: tuesdays for CJ or Fridays for myself) or in the announcement forum. Also, something that help, some of the author I read makes the mention in his signature,,,

My answer would be a combination of these two.

Email is a notoriously bad way to communicate with me (or simply communicate information to me) so subscriptions would be pointless. Several MORE chapters would likely be out before I got around to checking and reading the email about the first one :P

On the other hand I check the forums frequently, so an announcement in the author forums is unlikely to slip by me.

Mostly just check on the announcement board, or just clicking on the authors page.

Yup, same here. Soon as I'm on the site, I look at the feed, then I go to the forums and check for any news, whether in the announcements section or the forum thread. Not all authors post their announcement, so after dabbling in the forums here and there, I check efiction and sometimes specific authors, but usually just efiction.

That little blurb at the top of the main forum page that says what the most recent update is... after that, looking in the actual announcement page instead of setting up an rss... i guess i'm just old fashioned for that >_>

I'm with Graeme here. I go look. But then again, I'm on several sites and I have to because hardly any of the sites I'm on have a group or way to tell me that a story is updated.

I start with the forums, then I shift through the links that I have for the stories. It's all a matter willingness to look for them.

I'm with Graeme here. I go look. But then again, I'm on several sites and I have to because hardly any of the sites I'm on have a group or way to tell me that a story is updated.

I start with the forums, then I shift through the links that I have for the stories. It's all a matter willingness to look for them.

Well it sounds like you might indeed benefit from the RSS feeds then!

Well it sounds like you might indeed benefit from the RSS feeds then!

If I knew what an RSS feed was, I'd probably agree with you...but right now, I'm rather sleepy, so I'm not so sure what it is.

If I knew what an RSS feed was, I'd probably agree with you...but right now, I'm rather sleepy, so I'm not so sure what it is.

I was in that same boat a few months ago!

Try checking out this blog entry for details. Especially check out the comments; I found Lucy's explanation very helpful!

Lucy's comments were a good primer on RSS Feeds. The methods for reading them have evolved so much since then. Firefox supports RSS Feeds natively, although it helps to use an extension to manage them. Google has Google Reader which is about the easiest way to subscribe to, and read, RSS Feeds that I've ever seen. I was surprised to learn that you're a bit technophobic Kevin. Is that still the case? I figured every young person was comfortable with technology. Anyway, if you're interested in learning how to use RSS Feeds I'd be happy to teach you. Since you have to look at all the forums though RSS Feeds on GA might not do you much good. But they're a great way to keep up with all the websites you frequent (blogs, news sites, discussion forums, et cetera) without actually visiting all those sites, unless you find something you want to comment on. It's a bit of a double-edged sword though in that the website logs can make it seem like the site isn't getting as many visits if a large percentage of people are getting their info via the feeds. Then again, if you factor in the log entries for the feeds it all sort of balances out.

I was surprised to learn that you're a bit technophobic Kevin. Is that still the case? I figured every young person was comfortable with technology.

Pretty much. I have no trouble figuring out how to work new technologies and innovations once I try, but most of the time I'm extremely reluctant to do so in the first place. Completely contrary to how I conduct the rest of my life, when it comes to technology I prefer to hum along maintaining the status quo. I don't really like new electronics, gadgets, and programs. I only tend to check into them when I have to.

Anyway, if you're interested in learning how to use RSS Feeds I'd be happy to teach you. Since you have to look at all the forums though RSS Feeds on GA might not do you much good.

I may take you up on the offer eventually, but as you said I try to stay up to date with most areas of GA in the first place anyway. As for other sites...well apart from email (and not as often as I should :P ) and youtube I don't really 'frequent' any other sites. Once a month I pay all my bills online, but I can't imagine the Feeds helping with that. I also frequently do research and occasionally 'surf' the net, but GA is the only thing I'm interested in rather or not anything has been 'updated'.

The feeds don't seem like they'd serve any useful purpose for you Kevvers. That's cool. Not everything is for everyone. It's good that you recognize when you need something to help you out instead of just buying every new thing that comes along. I'm the kind who buys almost everything new that comes out. Some are winners. Many are losers. It's the geek in me that pushes me to try new things. I hope my inner geek never leaves me. ;)

I almost never read more than one or two stories at a time, so I just keep the sites in my Bookmarks and check them for new chapters a few times per week. I'd use the RSS feed if I read several stories at once, though.

It's nice to find someone with the same old traditions :lol:

-- I go also look :P

Starting with the "Forums", then with the "Authors" and usually also going to other well known sites (you know what I mean, Graeme B) ) going to and back, sometimes to find new stories or chapters, sometimes to enjoy re-reading old ones.

BTW, I could image RSS feeds could be useful, but I'm perhaps too old (at at the moment too tired :P ) to learn how to deal with new methods.

Old Bob

I have no idea what a RSS feed is.

I tend to read completed stories for the fact that I have started way to many stories, really get into them, and for whatever reason the author doesn't complete them. Also, there are times when it takes so long for an author to post the next chapter, that I lose interest, or forget about the story. (Best example of this would be Finding Family on Nifty. Great story. However there weren't any updates for over a year. Another example is The Scrolls of Icaria by Jamie. It is another great story, and the author has been on Hiatus for a long time.) I know authors have real life, and that may/does conflict with writing time. Then authors may get bored with what they are currently working on, so they start another story and get so caught up in that that the other story gets put on a back burner for an indefinint period of time.

As for finding out about new stories, I have several places booked marked that I check on a regular basis, looking for completed stories. The Tarheel Writer has a page for recommended stories, both completed and ongoing stories. We have are Story Archive which gives a status of the story. There are times when I will see something recommended from here. In other words, its kinda hit or miss for me.

Boy on a String