Message Board Topic For 5/12

Whenever reading a story online, there should be a certain level of 'comfort' involved. Meaning that the reader can read through each engaging sentence without having to stumble or re-read or feel as though they're being taken out of the story. It can be hard to fully enjoy a story that you can't totally submerge yourself in.

This isn't just about punctuation or writing mechanics either. The plot and story structure itself could be a problem. Maybe the timeline is inconsistent. Maybe the dialogue is choppy and unrealistic. Maybe the characters aren't stable in their behaviors. There could be a number of reasons for a slightly 'disconnected' read.

The question this week is...how can an author create a smooth and enjoyable read for their audience? What should they avoid, in your opinion? What makes a story seem like it's jumping around too much or seem to be rushing too fast for you to keep up? Let us know what your thoughts are on this! :)

• Site Administrator

Practise :)

That, and reading. Read other stories that you enjoy and see how they do it. Don't copy, because there are different styles, but learn from how others do things.

Next, find some friends who you can trust will give you an honest opinion. Let them let you know if the story is too hard to read. An author is often too close to the story to be able to judge these things them self.

There are no real rules on things to avoid, because sometimes breaking 'rules' can be very effective. Sometimes having a story jump around is what you want, because the author wants the reader to be confused. However, these are things that should be done deliberately, not accidentally. If, as an author, you want to do these things, then be aware of why and what the impact will be on the reader.

I think the only thing that really makes for a choppy read is rushing to get to a certain point in the story without letting it build naturally. As I've said many times before, once I start writing, the characters kinda start taking on a life of their own. And if 'they' don't like the direction I'm taking them in...they're definitely gonna let me know about it. Hehehe! (Brats!) And there are a few stories where it seems like the author is pushing to hurry up and get to the sex, or hurry up and get to the big fight, or just plain pushing to get to the end. And scenes that could have been used to really bring out some natural emotion and a real connection to the characters, kinda get left out.

Like...'and then they met, and his name was this, and my name was that, and we had lunch and talked, and then went back to my house, and he's gay, woo hoo!' But...there's a LOT of story in those little skipped activities. There's dialog, and conflict, and hints, and glances, and all the little things that I remember from when I was going through it myself. I like to hear that part too.

I know that I tend to ramble a bit in my own stories, and I've had countless emails wishing that I'd just hurry up and get everything over with. But the truth is, I like that extra attention to detail, and the exposure to those innocent emotions, and tensions, and frustrations, of really being in love with somebody and not knowing what to do with that feeling. So I wouldn't cut out a single sentence. To me, it would be like taking a tour bus through Paris...at 150 mph! Hehehe, what's the point if you can't slow down and see everything and get the story to go with it? You know?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..