Beijing Olympics Opening

jovian_w2002

What do you think about the Opening Ceremony?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the Opening Ceremony?

• It's awesome!
    • It's ok.
    • It's pretty bad.

Is anyone watching the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony LIVE on tv now? I love it! I love the theme: One world, One dream!!! Swwwweeeeettttt!!! :D

I love how the various countries that are competing in the Olympics walk into the birdnest stadium with their heads held high. Sweeeet!!!

No, I didn't see it live because China is on the other side of the world and I was sleeping so I could get up at 6:30am for work.

I have little interest seeing China's Olympics buhaha.

Edited by Jack Frost

My Chinese friends are all gung-ho about it, and I do want to watch it, but... at the moment... I am going to Florence. So, I haven't seen it, and won't have a chance to this weekend. But I'll search it up on youtube when I get back. I liked Athens, what with Callas and the symbolic stuff; I hope the Beijing, with Zhang Yimou in charge, will be a good show. (Or -- has been a good show.)

I've mixed feelings about China's handling of the whole Olympics thing, and China in general. I don't think the Western press quite knows what it's talking about a lot of the time -- at least the NY Times, which I read pretty much every day. Maybe it's just an effect of reading things written by outsiders from an "insider's" perspective. Of course, a lot of China's behavior doesn't really help matters. It's too bad, in a way, that, the harder China tries to foster an environment of "pure" "human spirit" and "harmony," the darker the shadow cast by questions of human rights, pollution, etc. A lot of Chinese people I know are ridiculously happy about this Olympics thing, and I am determined to be at least happy for them.

lol, let's try to avoid politics in here :P

I agree.

However, it's hard to separate the Olympics from politics when the very boycott of an Olympic Games has been used as a political tool in the past.

But, I try to think of the athletes and whatnot, instead of the bickering between nations about human rights and pollution. Although both are important issues, when it comes to the Olympics, I'd prefer the news focus on who's winning what instead of what China's doing to piss off the foreigners.

I agree.

However, it's hard to separate the Olympics from politics when the very boycott of an Olympic Games has been used as a political tool in the past.

But, I try to think of the athletes and whatnot, instead of the bickering between nations about human rights and pollution. Although both are important issues, when it comes to the Olympics, I'd prefer the news focus on who's winning what instead of what China's doing to piss off the foreigners.

I think its hard/impossible to separate politics and the games - at least when the games take place in a country like China. I decided to ignore the games because of Chinas politics....

Edited by YaP

I think its hard/impossible to separate politics and the games - at least when the games take place in a country like China. I decided to ignore the games because of Chinas politics....

Although you probably mean that as a move protesting the Chinese government's human rights record, a typical Chinese person would probably feel -- no matter how clearly he/she knows your intentions -- that you're rejecting Chinese hospitality and culture. There's probably better avenues of affecting change.

Anyway... this wasn't very on-topic. But, as people have noted, politics are hard to keep out...

Btw, I didn't like the "We Are Ready" song. Too corny. :angry:

I am looking forward to gymnastics. It's my favorite. Swimming and diving are nice too. I think it's the one time when the world seems to have a united cause. While we have representatives from our own country, it's exciting to see the talents of people from all over the world. :)

I'll watch it tonight. :)

Edited by Tiger

There's a lot of countries you should ignore because of their policies, and many of them are represented here on GA. I don't think ignoring a country is going to do anyone any good -- some sound criticism, however, can be very effective.

I applaud the effort that they have put into the whole event. The opening ceremony was simply breathtaking to watch.

:)

BeaStKid

Me too... I *really* enjoyed it. It felt genuine, not corny, at least most of it did. :D I'm looking forward to it, very much!

There's a lot of countries you should ignore because of their policies, and many of them are represented here on GA. I don't think ignoring a country is going to do anyone any good -- some sound criticism, however, can be very effective.

I said i decided to ignore the games (and the opening ceremony)... NOT the country - huge difference ;)

Edited by YaP

I said i decided to ignore the games.. NOT the country - huge difference ;)

Lol sure, there's a lot of games you should ignore because of the country that's arranging them, then. ;) But I don't think that's the way to go... At least not in this case.

LOL. I don't agree with China's communist government. I think everyone should have human rights. Yeah, it's hard to avoid politics, but I think it's best if we focus on the Olympic games rather than the Chinese government, because ultimately it's the games that matters in the Olympics. I got to hand it to the people in China, they did a really good job in the opening ceremony. Haha, eventhough the team is "corny", it's still what I really hope the world would achieve someday: One World, One Dream.

I'd be rooting for Team Taipei (where my dad came from hehe), Team Japan (where my mother came from hahahaha), Team USA, Team Hong Kong, and Team Aussieland!!! hehe

• Site Administrator
I'd be rooting for Team Taipei (where my dad came from hehe), Team Japan (where my mother came from hahahaha), Team USA, Team Hong Kong, and Team Aussieland!!! hehe

I was getting ready to cancel your Australian license until I got to the last item :P

I tend not to be very parochial, but there are exceptions to every rule, and the Olympics are one of them

GO AUSTRIA, TONGA, EAST TIMOR... er... AUSTRALIA

I was getting ready to cancel your Australian license until I got to the last item :P

I tend not to be very parochial, but there are exceptions to every rule, and the Olympics are one of them

GO AUSTRIA, TONGA, EAST TIMOR... er... AUSTRALIA

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Oh well, I can't help but I like those countries too ;) hehehe; ultimately, I wish Australia would get as many gold medals as possible!!!! Woo- hoo! hehehe. Go Aussieland!!!!!!!!!!

I followed at the swiss TV. Nice show, from 2.08 pm till..... I dont know. it was nap time and I fell asleep !

We have an extra TV channel here to follow all the games. I will only look at them where swiss athletes will be involved :P .

BTW, even if you dont accept China's politics, Olympic Games are an opportunity to meet people around and to open an dialogue about other subjets than politics B) .

I remember the 1936 Games. Hilter tried to make a show of a new Germany but today we remember more Jesse Owens than the Hitler show ! See Jess Owens :) .

I'm slightly adverse to watching the Olympics because of where it's being held and how they've treated Taiwan, in particular.

With that said, I'll try to tune in for the diving, and I'll be rooting for GB's Tom Daley ... quite the impressive little athlete. I'll probably watch baseball, too.

I liked the Opening Ceremony, it was very breath-taking. (Although there was an extensive use of the color Red). I really liked how they decided to light the Olympic torch. I'm with Tiger on watching the Gymnastics, swimming and diving events. I am also hoping to see some of the weightlifting and wrestling events.

The equestrian event made me wish I could own a horse....

The equestrian event made me wish I could own a horse....

OMG! ME TOO! I've told my parents, repeatedly, that I want to take equestrianism up as a sport, but they refuse... partly because of my medical condition. But just like you, I really wanna own a horse hahaha ;)

The opening Ceremony was fantastic. I loved it. :)

I also love the Olympics and try to watch and get the results to every competition. :wub: