Need British language translation help

NaperVic

I was reading an article in the Economist (a London based magazine), and I came across the following line in an article:

"With the United States at the fag-end of a disastrous presidency, Brazil assembled 33 countries from across the Americas to discuss a host of issues ranging from defence to the economic slowdown."

I thought fag meant cigarette. Can someone translate? I mean, in the context it sounds like it means tail-end. Or does it translate more like smoldering, like a cigarette.

I'm pretty sure it's derived from the stub of a cigarette, but generally just means at the end of something, usually something bad.

And no, contrary to what you are probably thinking, it's not intended as an insult in the slightest. Well, not to anyone but Bush, that is.

• Site Administrator
I thought fag meant cigarette. Can someone translate? I mean, in the context it sounds like it means tail-end. Or does it translate more like smoldering, like a cigarette.

I think it's intended to be a clever play on words. Yes, a 'fag' is a cigarette. The end that you are left with after you finish smoking it is known as the 'butt', which has other, cruder connotations. So, it's say the end the presidency, but in a moderately derogative way.

I'm pretty sure it's derived from the stub of a cigarette, but generally just means at the end of something, usually something bad.

And no, contrary to what you are probably thinking, it's not intended as an insult in the slightest. Well, not to anyone but Bush, that is.

yeah you have it right. It means at the end of something. but in the cigarette when you reach the end it gets nasty and foul and you shouldn't smoke it. smokers should know what I'm talking about. but also it means that its about to go out, about to be stubbed out. removed. only last remnants remaining. :)

edit to add: thinking about it, referring to Bush as a cigarette at all is derogatory, here cigarettes are pretty much a signifier for bad, unhealthy.

Edited by Smarties

but in the cigarette when you reach the end it gets nasty and foul and you shouldn't smoke it.

Actually, you shouldn't light a new, fresh cigarette either. Yes, I think it means something like a cigarette butt. Come to think of it, it's something we should never have started; now it's something we need to step on...be sure it's stamped out...finished. Then we need only walk away with a concern about our future health.

Actually, you shouldn't light a new, fresh cigarette either. Yes, I think it means something like a cigarette butt. Come to think of it, it's something we should never have started; now it's something we need to step on...be sure it's stamped out...finished. Then we need only walk away with a concern about our future health.

and so you realise what the brits think :) , and their humour.

oh, and make sure you don't litter, pick up that stub and put the whole in the bin :)

Edited by Smarties

• Site Administrator
Fag I also hear means a twig :?

Not 100% sure but I believe a faggot or fagot is a bundle of sticks. I don't believe one stick makes a fag, it is just a stick.