• Site Administrator

The Beard Chapter One and two are up.

Beware, some weak spoilers below.

First off Dan, thanks for giving us a new story :worship: .

I really liked this story so far as I sort of have the feeling that it is going to be different from you usual genre. I know you did The Bully, and I was totally into that one as you do non sci fi just as well as sci fi.

It didn't take long at all to get an idea of the backgrounds and past history of both Dale and Cole. I guess the only real history thing that hasn't been explained has been the GSA/Football team incident, but I think it is safe to assume that it didn't go to well until Cole stepped in. Oops, I guess there is more to Dale's Dad and the accident, but I know we'll hear more of that in the future.

I wonder what Cole's father will say when he finds out about his plan to use Dale as a beard. Even though it seems Cole's dad and him are close and share ideas on how to win over voters, I wonder if this idea might be too big for Cole to handle.

At this point I can say that I really like both of the main characters, and really loved how Dale made Cole realize the full consequences of what he is about to embark upon in the last few sentences.

Can't wait for more.

Steve B)

Edited by wildone
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I thought I would change the line saying chapters 1&2 and hopefully this becomes just a general forum to discuss The Beard.

Is anyone following this story beside me :P ?

Personally I found the last chapter really interesting. Maybe I missed something before in the chapters, but I was shocked to find out that Dale's dad committed suicide. For some reason I was thinking along the lines of him getting drunk and getting in a bad accident which severely injured his mom and sent his Dad away to jail.

I recall reading that when Cole first approached Dale that there was mention of something about Dale's dad in the newspaper.

Oh well, maybe have to go back and reread the posted chapters to see if I missed a bunch of stuff on the first read through.

In a way I'm glad that Cole is sort of facing Dale to open his eyes and take a look around him.

Getting reacquainted with Jeremy and knowing that his mom was trying to help out after the accident seems to not only helping Dale take a closer look, but also building his self esteem a little as well.

I'm really curious what Cole and the others could do to help Dale work less and also maybe become the quarterback for the team. I wonder if Dale is reluctant to play football because he relates that as something his father liked and he would be hurting his mom if he took it back up.

It appears by Dale knocking Hector on his ass, not only has he earned the respect of the other players, but more importantly Hector himself and the coach. I can only see good things coming out of this.

Thanks for the chapters Dan, I'm really enjoying them. :worship:

Steve

Edited by wildone

I really like this story too! I'm not generally a sci-fi fan so am loving this :D .

Dan hasn't been really clear about what happened, but is revealing more each chapter it seems :)

I had thought, I think, that the dad had died, assumed had been a drunk driving accident or something by which the mother got hurt.

keep up the good work :) . can't wait for more. and for who Dale actually ends up with...

celia

• 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

Great chapter Dan, thanks for sharing :worship: .

I am really enjoying how Dale is coming around as we learn more and more about his past. I can understand why more of his past, specifically his Dad, wasn't mentioned earlier as Dale himself has blocked out most of his memories of the past.

Cole seems to be not only getting something from Dale by being his boyfriend to help his Dad's campaign, but Dale seems to be getting so much more which I don't believe he ever expected. A new job, a new (used) vehicle, his grandparents seem happy but most importantly his mother seems to be looking forward to the future more so than what we have seen of her in the past.

I'll have to go back and reread the dinner conversation with Cole's Dad to see what exactly he'll be referring to in his speech.

On a side note, I want to mention that I've always enjoyed your writing, but for some reason this story, not being so much the sci fi genre, has really impressed me. I know your living, and your passion is in politics, and I can't help but feel some positives towards the way your portraying it. Hopefully in the future this will be the actually reality, rather than the fiction it is now.

Thanks,

Steve B)

Okay, so Dan is probably going to fall out of his chair when he reads this, but what a theory :P

I think Cole is in actually a closet case... :blink:

Okay, I think Cole\'s parents know....and the football team, at least after the incident that Dale was involved in :blink::blink:

I think every thing that has happened to Dale is because Cole has wanted to be with Dale since the class project, and Cole decided to start a series of events meant to \"repair\" Dale\'s out look on life so that he would at least feel like he was date-able material :blink::blink::blink:

So, now that I\'ve said it, you can all fall out of your chairs in laughter :lol::P : :lol:

Hugs,

Tom

P.S. did I mention that everyone that knows is in on it??? :P:P:o:o:P:P

Edited by Tom(lostone)

:lol::lol: The end of the story will certainly be true and open love. We know it allready. But the "gimmic" is "how they will both accept it" and that makes the story amazing :worship: .

BTW, to bring in it a politician who needs the gay vote is even more funny that the story itself :P .

Well, I think we all know that the end of the story will include some true love, but between whom?

My bet is that despite discovering he's bisexual and that he's interested in Dale, Cole will blow it and it'll be Jeremy and Dale in the end.

I suppose we'll just have to wait to find out...

We're waiting.... Patiently..... Still waiting........ Yup, we got the patience of Job!.......... Don't rush for our sakes!........

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so chapter 10 just blew my theory out of the water :blink: . There is just no way Jeremy would have said what he did if he was in on the plot to make Dale the best catch of the season :lol: it sure is gonna cause some waves when Cole decides to not break up with Dale though :lol:

Dan, If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd say you were pure evil for this twist cause I know this is just the start :P

Hugs,

Tom

• Site Administrator

Well I didn't see that one coming :o !!

Should have listened to Gardentuber :P , he picked that one up right away.

Okay, now a question....

Being a foreigner :D , I don't totally understand the US political process too well. What happened that has Cole calling for Dale to show up ASAP to the campaign office?

• 3 weeks later...