Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Totally random topic: are frogs satanic?

The following was posted by our resident amphibian, MikeL, in the Chapter 25 thread.

Drums out of the darkness, listen well.

Drums beating like thunder straight from Hell.

Trumpets are blaring, the time's come 'round -

Satan is here to claim His ground!

~from "Hymn of the Satanic Empire" by Anton LaVey

Hrmmm, now, why would a frog be quoting satanic hymns? It's one of those things that makes you go hmmmmm...

Also,. he does seem particularly concerned with the volcano... Why might that be?

I also wonder where he gets his info from? The reason I ask this is, Chapter 27 is entitled Drums out of Darkness

However, Chapter 26, which I do intend to post before 27, is entitled "The Scorpion and the Frog".

CJ 0:)

Hrmmm, now, why would a frog be quoting satanic hymns? It's one of those things that makes you go hmmmmm...

Also,. he does seem particularly concerned with the volcano... Why might that be?

I also wonder where he gets his info from? The reason I ask this is, Chapter 27 is entitled Drums out of Darkness

However, Chapter 26, which I do intend to post before 27, is entitled "The Scorpion and the Frog".

CJ 0:)

Cliff? Honestly! In case you haven't noticed, I put an appropriate quotation in my first post for each of your chapters. The Anton LaVey quote is in no way a reflection on us frogs' high moral standards or our pious demeanor. It's just a quote about Satan's thunder. I would appreciate a more circumspect treatment from you, considering frogs' standing in the community.

Your title for chapter 26 is fine by me. It sounds like an Aesop's fable, which, I trust, means there will be no cliffhanger. If a frog plays a central role in the chapter, it will set a new, higher standard for gay literature. That's assuming there are no scurrilous remarks impugning our dignity.

I don't mind that you have chosen a title for chapter 27 taken from LaVey's hymn. I mean, it's not like I hold the copyright. If it was my intellectual property, I would be talking to my legal counsel rather than writing this response.

As for the volcano, you keep bringing it up in the story. I wish the thing would blow up, collapse, fizzle, or whatever so we readers could relax. Speculation that frogs have any hellish attachment to volcanoes is just so much "goat manure".

That said, I am looking forward to the next chapter. :P

Cliff? Honestly! In case you haven't noticed, I put an appropriate quotation in my first post for each of your chapters. The Anton LaVey quote is in no way a reflection on us frogs' high moral standards or our pious demeanor. It's just a quote about Satan's thunder. I would appreciate a more circumspect treatment from you, considering frogs' standing in the community.

Your title for chapter 26 is fine by me. It sounds like an Aesop's fable, which, I trust, means there will be no cliffhanger. If a frog plays a central role in the chapter, it will set a new, higher standard for gay literature. That's assuming there are no scurrilous remarks impugning our dignity.

I don't mind that you have chosen a title for chapter 27 taken from LaVey's hymn. I mean, it's not like I hold the copyright. If it was my intellectual property, I would be talking to my legal counsel rather than writing this response.

As for the volcano, you keep bringing it up in the story. I wish the thing would blow up, collapse, fizzle, or whatever so we readers could relax. Speculation that frogs have any hellish attachment to volcanoes is just so much "goat manure".

That said, I am looking forward to the next chapter. :P

Greetings, Your Amphibiousness!

Ah, but the title of 27 is one word different from LeVay's hymn. :P

As for Cumbre Vieja, it's there, that's all. It's sort of like all the smog in Los Angeles; just background color. Just think of it as another character in the story, with it's own quirks and mannerisms. Now, while it's true that it might be said to have a hot temper, it's been very well behaved, so far. So, stop worrying, sit back, and enjoy the volcano. :)

Frogs, well, frogs do seem to show up in the darnedest places. I'd like to call everyone's attention tho this...

477px-Satan-traditional-arms.svg.png

Yes, that's a pleasant, and very froggy, coat of arms, no?

Now, whose heraldry might that be, with the three frogs?

Why, it just so happens to be Satan's! Yeppers, per Wikipedia, that's the coat of arms of Satan himself.

Is there something you're not telling us, Mike? :unsure:

Furthermore...

"And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness: And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness." (Leviticus 16:20-22 KJV)

The Scapegoat - A Symbol of Satan

The scapegoat was not killed, just as the spirit Satan cannot be killed. Instead, all of the guilt of the people was symbolically placed on the head of the scapegoat, who was then taken out into the wilderness and released (Leviticus 16:21-22).

Furthermore...

"And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness: And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness." (Leviticus 16:20-22 KJV)

The Scapegoat - A Symbol of Satan

The scapegoat was not killed, just as the spirit Satan cannot be killed. Instead, all of the guilt of the people was symbolically placed on the head of the scapegoat, who was then taken out into the wilderness and released (Leviticus 16:21-22).

Ahhh, so, Your Frogishness, you are making me out to be a scapegoat, eh?

Well, I must admit, that fits. Here is the definition of scapegoat:

Since this goat, carrying the sins of the people placed on it, is sent away to perish [1], the word "scapegoat" has come to mean a person, often innocent, who is blamed and punished for the sins, crimes, or sufferings of others, generally as a way of distracting attention from the real causes.

Yes, the poor, innocent goat... unjustly and unfairly blamed for the sins of others.. that sums me up rather well i think.

Thank you kindly, oh Amphibious One, for pointing this out.

0:)

:P

Frogs can't be satanic....their legs are way to delicious.

If they were satanic, they would taste like a healthy salad or something good for you according to the food nazis.

Leggo my legs, James.

Yes, the poor, innocent goat... unjustly and unfairly blamed for the sins of others.. that sums me up rather well i think.

Innocent? Goats are evil, foul-smelling, manure-spreading capra aegagrus hircus. That's why there are scapegoats. Who ever heard of a scapefrog?

Frogs are indicator species, they tell us whether or not an environment is healthy. :worship: A very grand attribute to all frogs everywhere.

So proof of goodness all the same, we go to frogs for answers to our future existence. To goats to get pushed off cliffs. :ph34r:

Frog Legs

Ready in: < 30 minutes

Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)

Serves/Makes: 4

Ingredients:

1 egg -- beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 pounds frog legs

1/2 cup cornmeal

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup cooking oil

Directions:

Mix the egg, corn meal, salt and pepper together to form a batter. Dip the frog legs into the batter, then fry in the oil in a large heavy skillet for 25 minutes, turning so they brown evenly on all sides.

Hahaha! I actually used to serve frog legs in a resort here in Vegas many years ago. Errrrrrrr! never had goat, any recipes out there??

Recipe and other info here, Benji. Just to make sure everyone knows, goats are much more delicious than frogs. And, it only takes one to serve a bunch of people.

• Site Moderator
Not funny, guys! :angry:

Don't worry. On one talon, it would take too many frogs to fill up this bird of prey. On the other, all it would take is one goat. I particularly like those cliff dwelling types.

Toads and frogs are very different species. Almost all toads are inedible. Toads have glands on their back that secrete substances that are either foul tasting or even toxic. Some species of toads release a toxin that are hallucinagenic to humans hence you hear of some buzz starved people "toad licking".

Before you try it, the toads with hallucinagenic properties are fairly rare. Most toads that you might try licking in North America will simply taste horrible and won't take you anywhere near cartoon-land.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..