Microsoft Word 2007

thatboyChase

It seems like alot of people have it and I have an ancient version. I think it is time to convert over to help beta readers and editors rather than sending notepads. Anybody know of a location where I don't have to go through the mire of crap that is on the Microsoft site? I have to download office then when I do it won't fully download and all this office stuff.

Anybody have any suggestions? Please and thank you.

• Site Administrator

I didn't think you could download a legal copy -- you have to buy one.

I've just upgraded to OpenOffice 3.1.0 and that's what I use for communicating with my beta-readers and editors, AND also for doing beta reading when required. As long as I don't get .docx files, I can read word files. I had a problem with embedded textured backgrounds when I was using version 2, but I haven't checked that with version 3, yet.

Not everyone likes OpenOffice, so if you really want to get MS Office 2007, I think you'll need to go out and buy one. Sorry.

I use the old MS Word 2002 and find it reliable. My wife uses the Open Office word processor and has no problem reading and revising Word documents. I would certainly try Open Office for free before I would give Microsoft any of my hard earned money.

I have 2007 (bought it at Best Buy when I bought the new laptop), but I still save all my files as Word 97-2003 documents to ensure Word doesn't clog up the works with a bunch of irrelevant code. It's those .docx files that mess it up. When sending files to my editor I just hit F12 to bring up the Save As menu and select Word 97-2003.

I didn't think you could download a legal copy -- you have to buy one.

I've just upgraded to OpenOffice 3.1.0 and that's what I use for communicating with my beta-readers and editors, AND also for doing beta reading when required. As long as I don't get .docx files, I can read word files. I had a problem with embedded textured backgrounds when I was using version 2, but I haven't checked that with version 3, yet.

Not everyone likes OpenOffice, so if you really want to get MS Office 2007, I think you'll need to go out and buy one. Sorry.

I use Open Office too..and love it. Plus it's free.

Open Office can read, but not save in, docx format. It won't associate itself with the format, however, so you have to manually open the file every time (annoying, yes!)

Google Docs

gives access to writing like in word and its available as long as you have internet connection and its free and universal.

just like gmail etc etc

I have 2007 (bought it at Best Buy when I bought the new laptop), but I still save all my files as Word 97-2003 documents to ensure Word doesn't clog up the works with a bunch of irrelevant code. It's those .docx files that mess it up. When sending files to my editor I just hit F12 to bring up the Save As menu and select Word 97-2003.

Actually, the new Word docx format eliminates all of the irrelevant code that's been hidden in .doc files. It's easy to see that's the case by looking at the size of a file I received to edit, a 123 page draft of a novel. It came as .doc format; I opened and saved it as .docx. The original .doc file is 189 KB. The .docx file is 78 KB. The .docx file is 41% as large as the .doc file. An impressive size reduction, IMO.

Colin B)