Message Board Topic 8/17

Have you ever had one of those friends that just loves some kind of conflict, no matter how necessary or Unnecessary it was? It's been called being 'real', and 'brutally honest'. 'Edgy', and 'in your face'. But it's the concept of using your writing and ideas to trigger an emotional response. Even if it starts out as a highly negative one.

It can be something like excessive cursing, or graphic depictions of taboo sexual acts, or use of religious or racial slurs, or harsh political commentary. Whatever it may be, it's meant to target the reader and yank on their emotions so hard that they can't help but to take notice. Even if they walk away disgusted and angry...they'll remember what they read. It's been that kind of strong rebel attitude that keeps the question of 'free speech' such a controversy. But...all things aside..is it EFFECTIVE?

Does rebel writing do exactly what it is meant to do? Do you walk away and get turned off by something so abrasive? Or does it pull you in even further to get such an 'unsweetened' taste of reality? And how do we judge what it is and what is NOT offensive? 'Catcher In The Rye' can be considered offensive by some. Speeches of 'Malcolm X' are considered offensive by others. Hell, many folks in the Bible belt of the US find HARRY POTTER offensive! So what do you guys think? Whatever your thoughts, let us know!

• Like 2

Being offensive to be offensive is offensive. Gratuitous language, sex, etc turn me off.

Being offensive to be true to the story, or the nature of the people involved, is another matter. I'm infuriated when I read descriptions about (as an example) people abusing kids. But when that abuse is an underlying story element (either because the child is going to be rescued from it, or is going to overcome it, or someone curses themselves for not intervening when they should have, etc etc) it helps make the story that much better, that much stronger.

But if it's done gratuitously, just thrown in there to get the readers attention, that I do tend to find offensive, or at the very least annoying.

• Site Administrator

I agree. Characters who are offensive are, generally, okay if it's done well, because people can see that that is that character. To do it properly, they should be balanced by other characters who are not offensive (at least not in the same way). If the story comes over as being designed to be offensive without reason, then that's a turn off (for me). I don't mind a story being offensive if it also makes me think -- where I can see that there is more to the story than just being offended.

Some writers use their writing as a catharsis of a sort and will write about things that they would never actually do. You'll see them write about all sorts of objectionable behavior: hyper-violence, raunchy sex, filthy language...

Sometimes it works and makes for compelling drama. Sometimes it is as bad as a Hollywood sequel that comes out three months after the original movie.

Other writers are writing to get something off of their chest. Usually you can tell. The true to life, no shit I was there kind of stories which really ring true and give you some insight into the extremes of the human condition- those are the ones that will make you think. I've seen writing like this, usually from victims of genocide, violence and abuse that will give you nightmares.

As a general rule gratuitous sex, violence and raunch are just plain boring unless it advances the plot or is logical in context.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..