Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Bridgemont Music

Of course. :) The entire soundtrack fits. Even all that, er, "pounding" on the drums. That Youtube video is a little pervy, too.

And then there's Debussy - La Mer - a little late for the period though.

Handel - Water Music for when George is at court or in London...

- stuff they might play at dinner while at sea...

Of course - we're not there yet but the

... One of my favorites...

I'll see if I can dig up some more.

I'm doing some research of Mozart and Haydn in the period. This one works. Is it alright to go through earlier works before the 1790's? It's likely that many still listened to older works. I can find some Opera as well.

This is the first movement from Symphony #97 by Joseph Hadyn. It is called Adagio. It is in the C Major. It was completed in 1792

In addition, I have found an Italian opera piece by Mozart called Soave sia il vento. It is from Così fan tutte, ossia La scuola degli amanti. It was completed in 1790.

Edited by Tiger

Of course. :) The entire soundtrack fits. Even all that, er, "pounding" on the drums. That Youtube video is a little pervy, too.

And then there's Debussy - La Mer - a little late for the period though.

Handel - Water Music for when George is at court or in London...

- stuff they might play at dinner while at sea...

Of course - we're not there yet but the

... One of my favorites...

I'll see if I can dig up some more.

I also considered Water Music by Handel! :-) And I found this one more attractive and somehow clearer...

The Grenadier March : Picture the scene on Hood's flagship, the HMS Victory, when all 100 of her marines formed up on the quarterdeck, moving in perfect sync to the music of the Grenadier March.

Or perhaps this song being played by a piper on board at night after supper (and the serving of grog), making all of them homesick:

And of course,

. This is the song I visualize the marines playing when they first land in Toulon under Captain Elphinstone, marching towards the curious Frenchmen with their pipes blaring.

Would it be okay to include stuff from the earlier 18th century as well? That opens up A LOT!

You can put in whatever you want. :P:wub:

I think that in those days, they weren't as quick to write off their cultural heritage and music retained it's popularity.

Granger's next ship will ultimately be named HMS Belvidera. Belvidera was a Venetian noblewoman portrayed in the play "Venice Preserv'd," a play that was written during the Restoration period (late 1600s). Yet even a play that was over 100 years old could still wield enough cultural influence to warrant naming a royal navy ship after one of the key characters.

Good add Paya!

Odd that this topic arose today, because I'm listening to Musical Evenings with the Captain, which is some of the music referred to in the Aubrey-Maturin series that formed the basis for the movie Master and Commander. The composers that the captain and doctor played in the many novels are Locatelli, Haydn, Handel, Boccherini and LeClair. The CD does not include the great piece that ends the film: Boccherinis Musica notturna delle strade di Madrid, which can be heard

at minute 4:15 for about 2 minutes.

The Boccherini notturna music plays a part in my novel Palouse which is nearing completion and will appear at GA sometime in the near future, work willing.

Odd that this topic arose today, because I'm listening to Musical Evenings with the Captain, which is some of the music referred to in the Aubrey-Maturin series that formed the basis for the movie Master and Commander. The composers that the captain and doctor played in the many novels are Locatelli, Haydn, Handel, Boccherini and LeClair. The CD does not include the great piece that ends the film: Boccherini

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..