Accents

Favorite Accent  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Accent do you find the most attractive?

• English
    • French
    • Scottish/Irish
    • Australian
    • Spanish/South/Central American
    • Caribbean
    • US - West Coast (think surfer)
    • US - Southern
    • US - Midwest (think farm boys)
    • US - Northeast (except New York)
    • US - New York
    • Eastern European/Russian
    • Asian
    • Italian
    • Arabic

I think I'd have to go with a New Jersey accent. Odd choice I know, but it's my current "flavour of the week." I think it's pretty adorable. Anyway, since that wasn't actually one of the choices (I won't bother complaining sine I've been beaten to the punch :boy:), I actually picked West coast/surfer. I think that is pretty HOT! Other popular choices were both English and Australian, and I might have gone with generic East coast (probably excluding New York I'm afraid :P). Some midwestern US is good too, but I actually find it varies a lot. I like Wisconsin and Minnesota the best.

I agree that not all English accents are created equally. I could get really into someone with a cockney accent whereas a more "posh" accent would probably get a little old and annoying after awhile. Someone with a Somerset accent would just take a great deal of getting used to!

I'm more neutral about folks from my neck of the woods (the general South). Some people sound really cute with a Southern accent; others are just really annoying. It largely depends on personality and what stereotypes the person is embodying as well as challenging. A polite, mannerly, hospitable person is attractive anyway, having a cute Southern accent does bump it up a few extra notches. On the other hand, if the person is being ultra conservative or generally "redneck" then a Southern accent just sort of compounds the offense. :P:boy: A "hippie" sort of person with a Southern accent is a pretty rare and sexy combo. One thing I often find very attractive is a Southern African American accent.

As far as accents of non-native English speakers I'd say some sort of Scandinavian accent is the most attractive. Italian and Spanish don't do much for me at all and despite having a real fondness for most Asians I don't find the accent especially attractive (OR unattractive). I can go either way on German or French accents.

I've found that many native African accents can be ridiculously hot! It actually took me about the longest of any non-American accent to be able to easily understand, but once I "got it" it was all I could do to hold myself back! :whistle:

I'd still have to say the New Jersey accent is my current favourite though! :wub:

-Kevin

• Site Administrator

Every time a poll is posted on here, there are people who complain about how it isn't representative. This time, you guys beat Kevin and Graeme to the punch. :D I put Australian in just as a pre-emptive strike on Graeme.

Ah, but you've left off the New Zealand accent. For most people, it's the same as the Australian accent, but with a few vowels swapped. For example, they pronounce i and e as most Australians would pronounce e and i. This means they when they say "six" it sounds like "sex" 0:) It introduces an interesting new possibility for what the number of beast really means :devil:

I like one accent.

My accent.

Interesting :) Personally, I don't consider myself to have an accent. Accents are what people from other places have, not people from where I live :D

Ah, but you've left off the New Zealand accent. For most people, it's the same as the Australian accent, but with a few vowels swapped. For example, they pronounce i and e as most Australians would pronounce e and i. This means they when they say "six" it sounds like "sex" innocent.gif It introduces an interesting new possibility for what the number of beast really means devilsmiley.gif

[/quote

Considering it was postulated by Crowley... not so suprising really

Ah, but you've left off the New Zealand accent. For most people, it's the same as the Australian accent, but with a few vowels swapped. For example, they pronounce i and e as most Australians would pronounce e and i. This means they when they say "six" it sounds like "sex" 0:) It introduces an interesting new possibility for what the number of beast really means :devil:

Interesting :) Personally, I don't consider myself to have an accent. Accents are what people from other places have, not people from where I live :D

Actually, you do have an accent. If you went to Japan, you'd have an accent, if you went to the US, you'd have an accent.

If I went to the east coast, I would have an accent, if I went to England, I would have an accent.

I like New Zealand's accents for the most part. I don't find it as strong as the Australian accent though. I am surprised that the Irish accent is winning over the more notoriously sexy accents like, French and Italian.. :P I recently watched an Irish movie though so I see the appeal.

Side question: Colin Farrel is Irish, yes?

I like New Zealand's accents for the most part. I don't find it as strong as the Australian accent though. I am surprised that the Irish accent is winning over the more notoriously sexy accents like, French and Italian.. tongue.gif I recently watched an Irish movie though so I see the appeal.

Side question: Colin Farrel is Irish, yes?

That's probably your answer right there

Also the Kiwi iccent az tirrible az bro

• 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

What are you guys talking aboot, eh? Speak slower so I can understand what your saying tongue.gif !!

Funny I missed this topic, but oh well, better late than never.

I chose Caribbean. I imagine you could also expand this to anywhere that colonial English is/was taught such as India. There is something in the 'crispness' of the enunciation of words that gets me excited biggrin.gif .

Edited by wildone

I grew up with various Scottish accents so I find those comforting. Sorry, but a southern American accent is like fingernails screeching down the chalkboard.

Irish is nice and The Queen's English is quite pleasant too. Although I agree with another poster here, the mouth from which the accent emanates makes SUCH a difference!

I supposed though any accent when whispered in the ear will do just fine!

Guest meowmint

Caribbean would have to be the best from the list of accent, but Spanish and Italian accents come in a close second. Italians mostly for the wonderful to die for food *drools*.

• 1 month later...
:D not going to bitch as enough people doing that lol but i understand it is near impossible to list all accents but i voted irish and i'm just surprised scottish and irish were together, they sound nothing a like :P

Catalan... I really love that accent... I can't help that there's something quite distinctive in the speakers' voice (at least the male ones). Even my two Catalan friends have that same similar distinctiveness... Could be the pitch or tone that is slightly deeper than what I'm used to.

This is an example... :D

Wikipedia has an interesting article on Southern US English pronunciation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English).

Below is the section on the Southern Appalachian accent (note the influence of Scots and Irish):

Due to the former isolation of some regions of the Appalachian South, the Appalachian accent may be difficult for some outsiders to understand. This dialect is also rhotic, meaning speakers pronounce "R"s wherever they appear in words, and sometimes when they do not (for example "worsh" for "wash.") Because of the extensive length of the mountain chain, noticeable variation also exists within this subdialect.

The Southern Appalachian dialect can be heard, as its name implies, in North Georgia, North Alabama, East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Southwestern Virginia, Western Maryland, and West Virginia. Southern Appalachian speech patterns, however, are not entirely confined to these mountain regions previously listed.

The common thread in the areas of the South where a rhotic version of the dialect is heard is almost invariably a traceable line of descent from Scots or Scots-Irish ancestors amongst its speakers. The dialect is also not devoid of early influence from Welsh settlers, the dialect retaining the Welsh English tendency to pronounce words beginning with the letter "h" as though the "h" were silent; for instance "humble" often is rendered "umble".

A popular myth claims that this dialect closely resembles Early Modern or Shakespearean English. [1] Although this dialect retains many words from the Elizabethan era that are no longer in common usage, this myth is apocryphal. [2]

Having lived half my life in Memphis and half in Nashville, I can testify that there is a noticeable difference in the native accent of the two cities, both of them in Tennessee and only 200 miles apart.

The South

\tha 'sau'th\, noun

The place where...

1) Tea is sweet and accents are sweeter

2) Summer starts in April

3) Macaroni & Cheese is a vegetable

4) Front porches are wide and words are long

5) Pecan pie is a staple

6)