Paranormal Activity

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this movie is worth the hype?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like these types of movies?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you perfer to go see movies like this...

• With a date
    • With friends
    • Go by yourself

I personally hated the blairwitch project, I thought it was a real rip off. I do however plan on going to see this, if it gets released nation wide. I went to the website and demanded it , as have 21 more people in my home town.

I doubt it will live up the hype but I still plan on going

I was neutral on the Blair Witch Project. The idea was excellent but I found the style frustrating and distracting. I love films with a good strong story and so I have to say I enjoyed it for that but it wasn't particulary easy to watch.

This one looks good and I will certainly see it if I have the chance.

I love horror movies and it seems directors are taking a more "real life" approach. Putting a camera in a room for 20 or 40 nights, however long they do and having shit happen to a couple is real time freaky, for some people. The whole people leaving the audience thing...Uhhmmm I'm not sure.

I remember Haunting in Connecticut was supposed to be the all time scary movie of the year, nay, it was kind of dull. Same with the Uninvited, however the Unborn was just really disturbing. My favorite new hopeful is the movie the Fourth Kind, that looks freaking awesome spooky.

This movie had a very low budget thusly why its only playing in certain states and if you want it you need to demand it and once a city reaches a million demands they will bring the movie there. I hope they put it out all over cause scary movies rock. But I'm unsure about the hype. Blair-Witch was lame and the sequal to that shouldn't even be considered a movie.

I think still the all time most disturbing, scary movie was the Exorcist, hands down.

A friend of mine was really into it and convinced me to go with him. Don't tell him, but I thought it was really overrated. ;) I mean it was decent; I wasn't totally bored. However, I really didn't find it that scary and the dude in it really annoyed me.

On another note, the whole camera as the observer thing is a huge pet peeve of mine. I think that is SO annoying. I actually wouldn't have gone if I'd known that's what it was going to be. On the plus side though, this one didn't make me nearly as nauseated as most of them do. The Blair Witch sucked big time and literally made me sick with the stupid wobbly camera. This movie is much better, but still not all that.

Of course I pretended to like it since my friend was so excited about it :)

-Kevin

So I went and saw it.

It definitely creep'd me out. I usually don't scare easily, I'm a pretty logical individual and try and disprove stuff. but some of the 'events' were really creepy. I had to check under my bed before I went to sleep. Bring a friend.

Review below, so spoilers abound:

Like AFriendlyFace said, the boyfriend is kind of annoying, but provides much needed comic relief when it contrasts with the night time footage which is completely SILENT apart from the heightened sound so you can hear the entity. But when it cycled through the various nights, got progressively worse and rather eerie, you could feel the tension and breathing being held in the theatre for sure.

I felt a bit of a film makers touch though at certain parts (spoilers, if you care, but you'll just see it anyways). When Micah (the boyfriend) finds Katie outside on the hammock and then there is a loud crash upstairs and the TV is on, but its snowing? Poltergeist anyone? Towards the end when she comes up the stairs and smells Micah then attacks the camera is kind of stupid in my opinion and when she is in the bed towards the end and speaks with the double voice that is supposedly the demon, kind of like dear Linda Blair.

I'm a pretty hard critic, like AFriendlyFace I guess, I like my scary movies and I want to be scared. I was as I said slightly disturbed, not scared per-sey. I also disliked the camera because at certain times it would not follow them, like when she walks down the stairs and lets out that unearthly scream. You have NO idea what went on downstairs, I guess that was the intention if it was an actual film, but certain aspects just seemed a bit rigged.

She gets pulled into the hallway? Really? When she slides from the bed she has a brief rag doll effect, sleeping people usually aren't prone like that. The footprints and the powder only reminded me of Big Bird, so that decreased the spooky factor. Ditto with the picture in the attic, what self respecting torturing evil force does that?

Both of the characters also kinda of "fell" throughout the movie, became more tense, negative and ultimately fighting with each other over this thing they couldn't see. The part which had me shivering were the two occasions where she gets out of the bed and just stands there for hours, according to time cycling in the corner of the camera screen.

I did like how the camera was positioned in the bedroom, kind of imposing the bed and the couple then looking straight into that f**king creepy hallway, nothing was there ever, but I always thought there was.

I just gave a detailed review haha, but, I thought it was worth it, so go.

This sounds a little like this very awesome Japanese movie I watched once on YouTube called Noroi, which was very well done and pretty spooky. Hard to explain though.

And this..

"The part which had me shivering were the two occasions where she gets out of the bed and just stands there for hours, according to time cycling in the corner of the camera screen. "

Was also used in Noroi, except the chick also went to the balcony and made thousands of intricate interlocking paper chains.

Edited by Zapp

I normally do not like this type of movie. Blair was a total joke. But this one seems to be somewhat well put together.

Years ago, when The Exorcist came out, I was the only one in the theater chuckling my way through it so I guess I'm a tough one to get frightened.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just saw it, since my mother bought it and wanted me to see it. Horrors don't scare me, ever. This was no different. My mother kept saying it was a true story, since they thank the families of Micah and Katie, and the local PD. Of course, her statement of that was punctured by the alternate ending. In the theatrical ending, she watches the sheet get pulled from Micah's sleeping form, then she walks over and watches him sleep for an hour or so, then goes downstairs, screams his name, he runs to help, she kills him, throws his body at the camera, smells him, then attacks the camera. In the alternate ending, the sheet stays on him, she goes downstairs after watching him, screams nothing in particular, he runs to help, she kills him, walks upstairs with a knife, locks the door, then goes right up to the camera and slits her throat.

The boyfriend was annoying, but he was cute. Doable, but not datable. At least, at the end of the day, he was devoted to her.

• 4 weeks later...

Never saw the other one but hopefully I'll see paranormal activity.

Can't a movie just be good??

I mean why do people have to compare other movies with another or always have complaints?

Like slumdog millionaire- That was awsome but yet people have to put it down with it was like city of god or it's retarded because it won the golden globes instead of dark night..

ugh

sorry about my rantdevilsmiley.gif

But yea it scared me so it did it's job for me=]