What is art?

Art is an expression of our connections to the world, each other, the universe, or even "nothing" as the artist desires.

(I bet you'll love nihilistic art or the art of nothing, too post modern for me, though)

Does that mean a good dump is art??? blink.gif

There is actually a museuem showing dedicated to poop pieces. So yeah a good dump can be art. Art is very complex, the meaning that is. As an art major we always have this discussion with this very topic in some of my classes. It gets intense at times. Very intesne as some people's perception are very different. Take for example, Damien Hirst. I personally do not see some of his works to be art, but he is an artist. A very famous conceptual artist at that and one who makes a crap load of money. But crumpled piece of paper or a formaldehyde half of a cow for me ain't art. Or a pile of trash too. Yes these are all his real art pieces. But for me these things aren't art. That's my opinion.

I don't think art can be explained simply by a few words. I do believe art takes creativity and a capacity to explore and understand emotions and feelings.

Hi,

I'm taking an art theory class and the pretend funny professor gave us an assignment. "Interview" 50 people and ask them "What is art?" So, what is art to you? Describe it in a simple sentence or just one adjective.

When you look at art, or think of the word art, what is the first thing that comes to mind? If people can participate in this, I can get my homework done and go play out in the street until dinner. Thanks.

Art is the by-product of emotions which humans are unable to express through normal communicative mediums; it is an attempt to express things which transcend language, things which normal human correspondence falls short of being able to express.

Art is the voice of the soul.

By that I mean, it expresses our deepest thoughts, desires and dreams. It can be self conscious, wild or unforgiving. It can be anything we are because it IS us and it is always personal.

Your teacher reminds me of one of my English lecturers who, when asked to define the term 'text', pointed to a chair and said 'this chair is a text'. I'm not sure if what he's asking for is a list of 'things' that could be considered art or something more esoteric. Another English lecturer asked us to define poetry, which turned into a really interesting discussion as no one in the room had the same answer. Which is what I think your teacher is probably getting at also. Art is what we make it.

Hope that helped,

Wynter

Art is a glass half-full. While art is not a glass half-empty, it is a glass half-empty. Everything is art, and nothing is art. It is subjective: obvious, and hidden at the same time. It moves and it doesn't. It makes you cry and makes me laugh. It is not so much an expression as it is a perception, and vice versa. As Billy said, art is a function completely independent of functionality.

Art does not take itself seriously, and neither should you (but we all do, or else we wouldn't be answering this silly question).

Maddy (:

my two pennies worth,

Art is a fortunately assembled collection of forms be they paint, sounds, words, rocks, whatever the medium, but before which the witness responds.

Art can be beautiful or sublime, it can be aesthetically pleasing or repulsive. At its most sublime the response is usually wordless. Art is not practical, but its absence is impoverishing.

Art is a potentiality in everyone, but to realize it is an art in itself.

2310882_orig.jpg

Edited by aikirangel
  • Like 2

That makes me think of hell. I love you're paintings!

:-)

my head is full of the homoerotic subtext in the TV series, "Supernatural" ...the Angel Castiel and one of the Winchester brothers...yeah...

thanks Mark

Edited by aikirangel