Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Cicumnvigation - Chapter 10 - Launch

I agree with Alphadog about Rachel being alive; if she is, Australia seems a likely location for her. I have no idea why she would disappear and fake the sinking of her boat.

I still think this whole issue of Trevor being gay has created a communications problem between him and his dad because Dirk is also gay but doesn't realize Trevor is. Dirk doesn't want to discuss his sexuality with his son. I don't know what you read in this chapter that makes you think Dirk isn't gay and is not going north frequently to see his lover. One question: Are there no gay lawyers in Florida? :P

• Site Administrator

I do hope that some where along the journey the boy gets to enjoy some sex. Personally I'd like to see him have a few flings and trists on the way to Australia and then maybe meet someone more serious who travels with him back to the USA. Lots of adventures either way!

Dave

I have booked my flight to St. John's Newfoundland and from there it is a short drive to Cape Spear, the most eastern point of North America. From the lighthouse I shall wait for Trevor anxiously and will not leave until I'm safely on board the Atlantis tongue.gif .

It is the middle of the winter, and for that I will spare all of you, the good readers of Circumnavigation, the Canadian Coast Guard, the residences of Newfoundland, and all the sea life the lives on or in the Atlantic ocean the sight of me standing in a speedo lmaosmiley.gif .

Onto something more serious.... I'll be wearing boardies laugh.gif .

No, what I wanted to discuss was how we are still on Dirk's case here. After that chapter, I don't really see how we can criticize Dirk if we are blaming him for not realizing Trevor is gay.

I mentioned before, first off, how many parents really just make an assumption that the child is heterosexual? Probably 99.9%. That is until they do something that may make think differently. So lets assume the Dirk is under the impression that Trevor is gay. Trevor has brought up ambiguous subjects to skate around the issue to see how his Dad feels about gays. Dirk has seemed to have much of a reaction other than change the subject. Not normal? No. Then in this chapter, Trevor tells us that he let his Dad be under the impression for a while that he was dating Lisa :o . So we have poor old Dirk here who has no indication his son is gay, his son lies to him about having a girlfriend, he offers a trip to Australia to Trevor and his girlfriend (once again, where has Trevor indicated he isn't interested in girls).

I think we all need to get off Dirk's back for him not knowing Trevor is gay. Dirk has enough faults it seems to not have a unnecessary one piled on too. Things like his temper, his secret visits, his hiding information about his wife's disappearance/death, and him being a suspect.

Anyways, I've babbled on enough, and have to pack for my trip tongue.gif .

Steve cool.gif

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

As much as I hate to double post tongue.gif

I forgot that we needed to include a sailing song in our posts for this chapter. Since I don't know any besides Come Sail Away by Styx, I'll have to post these ones instead chris.gif :

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot

Drink up me hearties, yo ho

We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot

We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack

Maraud and embezzle and even high-jack

Drink up me hearties yo ho

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite

We burn up the city, we're really a fright

We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves

We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs

We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do-well cads

Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads

The old bridge over the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau was replaced in 2003. The new bridge is shown below:

104374-M.jpg104376-M.jpg

The bridge has a clearance of 60 feet. Clearance would vary significantly depending on the time of year, usually being less in the spring when the Mississippi carries virtually all the snow melt from the Midwestern US and nearly all drainage from the west of the Appalachian Mountains. Nearly half of the land area of the US lies within the Mississippi River basin:

Mississippi-map.gif

The Atlantis would have other problems "sailing" up the Mississippi. One is the lack of southerly winds plus the fact that the river meanders a lot, essentially flowing all different directions. Another is the strong southward current. The only practical approach would be to dismantle the Atlantis' main mast and burn a lot of fuel motoring up the Mississippi and Missouri to Nebraska.

If the mast was removed, he could definitely motor to Nebraska, and probably wouldn't even need to refuel to do it... err, well, actually, I'm wrong; Atlantis has a range of over 1500 miles BUT going upriver he'd be heading into the current. Okay, he'd need to fill up once. :)

BTW, a couple of years ago, I transited the Kiel Canal (from the north sea across the base of Denmark to the Baltic) in a cruise ship that was just a bit too tall to fit under the bridges. The stack was about 5 feet too high. I'll attach a few photos I took of how they did it.

stack1.jpg

stack2.jpg

stack3.jpg

stack4.jpg

It was fun to see, and I made a point of standing as high as I could on the ship. It was a blast having the bridge swoop by about 12 feet overhead. :) I love going under bridges, but that's the first time I've been under one with such a low clearance relative to the ship.

Plot? Figuring out the mystery? I don't care. Just describe Tevor, et al. in their Speedos, please. That will satisfy me!

Let's just say there are plenty of visuals in many coming chapter. ;):)

Thank you CJ for another great chapter.

Personally I don't mind where Trevor sails as long as he gets naked sometime soon :P

Thanks! All I can say is... keep reading, because clothes and boats in hot climates are a bad mix. ;):)

OK, I've caught up again.

It does not seem to have effected Dad. Maybe I should just say that our dear author has not yet allowed us to see any effect it may have had on Dads' life or lifestyle. :whistle: "All in good time my pretty, all in good time..."

Who? Me? 0:)

He's heading UP the Gulf Stream with the intent of going to Australia? Hello! :huh: That has got to be the longest possible route to get there.

Here are four hypothetical routes to Australia; I've highlighted the one that would fit for his current heading. The four routes are: West, via the Panama Canal, South and then west, via Cape Horn (tip od S. America) South and then east,via cape hope (South Africa) or east, via the Mediterranean and Suez Canal.

The antipodal point (point on the opposite side of the globe) for Ft Pierce (Trevor's home) is in the central southern Indian Ocean, about a thousand miles west of Australia. Therefor, the shortest route would be via the Panama Canal. But... it's not that simple. The deciding factor is winds. The route via Panama and a direct transpacific run would put Atalntis in headwinds or the intertropical convergence zone (doldrums, where there can be periods of no wind for weeks) and would be extremely difficult (the only way to sail into the wind is to tack back and forth, making for very slow and difficult going and more than doubling the actual length sailed for those areas). Atlantis could avoid this by striking east from Panama and beating close hauled (slightly upwind) towards Hawaii, and then heading west, and then south. That would solve much of the wind problem, but still leaves the doldrums issue. This route is feasible, but would actually end up being longer and slower than the eastbound routes. However, it's a viable route.

Similar would hold true for rounding Cape Horn; the roaring 40's have eastbound winds, so same problem, but far harder to fix with a route change. This route is technically possible but would be incredibly difficult (the roaring 40's also hold some of the roughest seas on earth.)

Rounding South Africa is an option. Once Atlantis reached it, she'd have generally following winds, but getting there is a sizable detour, and from Florida to South Africa would be difficult; the winds often vary by season, and in the southeast Atlantis are often northerly so it would be difficult sailing, and crossing the central Atlantic would also be difficult (the prevailing winds run from northern Africa towards the Americas) but it is a feasible route, just long and potentially very difficult. It would also require crossing the Indian Ocean at about 30 degrees south latitude, and those can be stormy waters. However, it is a viable route.

The fourth option would be to head up the US cost from Florida, riding the gulf stream, and then take the eastbound winds across to southern Europe. Where would depend on the position and existence of the Bermuda High, though for mid summer, turning to a northeastern track around Cape Hatteras would be a likely option, taking a great circle route, passing close to the Azores, towards Spain. Then go via the Mediterranean and the Suez canal, down the Red Sea, and into the north Indian Ocean, then cut across the NE trades by heading rough south and then bending east. This also puts you in the doldrums in the central Indian Ocean, and this route is more prone to seasonal wind changes (that's why sailors often use the term "weather window"; a forecast for winds favorable for their direction of travel). However, this is also a very viable route.

We'll see in the coming chapter what his plans are. :)

Trevor is good at navigation; he has been mentioned as having (and knowing how to use) a sextant. He also has (and uses) clearpoint weather, which gives him updated reports on wind and weather. :) On the other hand, he is also prone to rash decisions. :)

I have booked my flight to St. John's Newfoundland and from there it is a short drive to Cape Spear, the most eastern point of North America. From the lighthouse I shall wait for Trevor anxiously and will not leave until I'm safely on board the Atlantis tongue.gif .

It is the middle of the winter, and for that I will spare all of you, the good readers of Circumnavigation, the Canadian Coast Guard, the residences of Newfoundland, and all the sea life the lives on or in the Atlantic ocean the sight of me standing in a speedo lmaosmiley.gif .

Onto something more serious.... I'll be wearing boardies laugh.gif .

No, what I wanted to discuss was how we are still on Dirk's case here. After that chapter, I don't really see how we can criticize Dirk if we are blaming him for not realizing Trevor is gay.

I mentioned before, first off, how many parents really just make an assumption that the child is heterosexual? Probably 99.9%. That is until they do something that may make think differently. So lets assume the Dirk is under the impression that Trevor is gay. Trevor has brought up ambiguous subjects to skate around the issue to see how his Dad feels about gays. Dirk has seemed to have much of a reaction other than change the subject. Not normal? No. Then in this chapter, Trevor tells us that he let his Dad be under the impression for a while that he was dating Lisa :o . So we have poor old Dirk here who has no indication his son is gay, his son lies to him about having a girlfriend, he offers a trip to Australia to Trevor and his girlfriend (once again, where has Trevor indicated he isn't interested in girls).

I think we all need to get off Dirk's back for him not knowing Trevor is gay. Dirk has enough faults it seems to not have a unnecessary one piled on too. Things like his temper, his secret visits, his hiding information about his wife's disappearance/death, and him being a suspect.

Anyways, I've babbled on enough, and have to pack for my trip tongue.gif .

Steve cool.gif

Very good theories!

In many cases, parents do indeed assume heterosexuality. Trever thinks Dirk understood when Trevor tried sounding him out, and so Trevor now thinks that Dirk knows Trevor is gay.

Trevor has shown a past tendency to be wrong, so he might be here as well. On the other hand, The gay issue is far from the only one, so things can be complicated. :)

And, um, a PIRATE song!?!!? Come now, surely you don't think Trevor is going to hoist the Jolly Roger and take up piracy? 0:)

The General Jackson, a popular attraction on the Cumberland River in Nashville has smokestacks designed to be turned back parallel to the top deck so that it can cruise under the numerous low clearance bridges in the downtown area. You may need to enlarge the photo below to see the two stacks in their lowered position (they appear above the top deck just to the right of the "Caremark" sign). The smokestacks aren't essential to the operation of the sternwheeler; it runs on diesel engines which exhaust at the stern. Most passengers are never aware of the stacks being lowered; they are inside enjoying dinner and a show.

GeneralJackson-Skyline_.jpg

Edited by MikeL

Very good theories!

In many cases, parents do indeed assume heterosexuality. Trever thinks Dirk understood when Trevor tried sounding him out, and so Trevor now thinks that Dirk knows Trevor is gay.

Trevor has shown a past tendency to be wrong, so he might be here as well. On the other hand, The gay issue is far from the only one, so things can be complicated. smile.gif

And, um, a PIRATE song!?!!? Come now, surely you don't think Trevor is going to hoist the Jolly Roger and take up piracy? innocent.gif

Regardless of the navagable route, I have read the story and interpreted that Trevor knows in no uncertain terms that his father is not happy that he's gay, and wishes that he'd stop forcing the issue by suggesting he date girls. I also think Dirk is a closet case, however, and that the attorney is an old lover who was going to help Dirk in the divorce, which went sour when the wife went missing.

I think, also, there was a clue in one of the early chapters when CJ mentioned a freighter with the navigation alarms being unmanned while running on autopilot. Why would that have been put in there as a tidbit if it didn't affect anything else in the story?

MikeL: A new company which bought the old sternwheelers Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen, and American Queen (built 1994), when Delta Queen Steamboat Company went bankrupt in 2002 or 2003, is now in ownership of a sternwheeler, the American Queen, which--when built--was so tall that not only do the smokestacks tilt, but the pilothouse was built on lowering hydraulics to clear the bridges. Nevertheless, during the high melt off and rainy season floods of 1998 or '99, the boat got stuck at its dock in Cleveland between two bridges, which were not drawbridges or rotating bridges, for about 5 weeks until the floodwaters went down enough to allow bridge clearance.

Edited by kjames

MikeL: A new company which bought the old sternwheelers Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen, and American Queen (built 1994), when Delta Queen Steamboat Company went bankrupt in 2002 or 2003, is now in ownership of a sternwheeler, the American Queen, which--when built--was so tall that not only do the smokestacks tilt, but the pilothouse was built on lowering hydraulics to clear the bridges. Nevertheless, during the high melt off and rainy season floods of 1998 or '99, the boat got stuck at its dock in Cleveland between two bridges, which were not drawbridges or rotating bridges, for about 5 weeks until the floodwaters went down enough to allow bridge clearance.

I believe the American Queen is no longer in service; it is docked at Beaumont, TX. See: http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-pictures/american-queen.html

The infamous trapping was between two bridges was in Cincinnati rather than Cleveland. The American Queen later had a problem passing under a bridge at Cairo, IL due to high water.

Regardless of the navagable route, I have read the story and interpreted that Trevor knows in no uncertain terms that his father is not happy that he's gay, and wishes that he'd stop forcing the issue by suggesting he date girls. I also think Dirk is a closet case, however, and that the attorney is an old lover who was going to help Dirk in the divorce, which went sour when the wife went missing.

I think, also, there was a clue in one of the early chapters when CJ mentioned a freighter with the navigation alarms being unmanned while running on autopilot. Why would that have been put in there as a tidbit if it didn't affect anything else in the story?

tutti -

These are good points. Maybe I should stick to my gut which says Dirk is gay or bi, not my brain which says he's straight. Either way his father (as written) is clearly uncomfortable discussing the gay issue. He and the lawyer did seem to be buddies and not just attorney and client. Hhhmmm, so many maybees.

Yeah, that clue plus Trev's impulsive 17y.o. personality could spell some real trouble in the future. I hope he picks up a safe passenger or two before he gets too tired and falls asleep in a busy shipping lane.

Dave

• Site Administrator

Good points as well.

I just have the gut and brain feeling that Dirk is straight and does not know about Trevor's sexuality. I have a feeling there is a goat laughing his head off in Arizona reading about the debate that really only he knows the answer to thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif .

I have now calmed down enough to discuss another matter that had me extremely upset. I'm sure there is tens of people ready to riot in the streets across our fair nation with this little passage:

Trevor looked at Joel for a few moments, taking in his windblown blond hair, dark golden tan, and honed swimmer's physique. "What's wrong, Joel?" Trevor asked with a wicked grin. "Afraid people will think you're gay? I could hold your hand when we get to the beach if that'll help."

Joel shook his head, painting a frightened expression on his face, his eyes darting about as he lowered his voice to little more than a whisper to say, "No, I'm scared they'll think I'm Canadian."

Trevor and Lisa doubled over laughing hard, and Joel grinned before joining in.

So goat, what are you exactly saying.

Are you saying that all Canadians are gay? If I may quote Bugeye in another forum:

I'm from Georgia, not much contact with Canada. Only Canadians I know are here on GA. Using that as my guide. Everyone in Canada is gay and super nice.biggrin.gif

So was that your point CJ? That all Canadians are gay? Or was it that you think all Canadians show their junk off in Speedos when visiting the States?

No matter what, it sounds like Joel is referring to Canadians in a negative connotation. Don't put the blame on Joel, you put the words into his mouth tongue.gif .

What do you have to say for yourself CJ? The nation of Canada awaits your response biggrin.gif

Edited by wildone

Yeah, that clue plus Trev's impulsive 17y.o. personality could spell some real trouble in the future. I hope he picks up a safe passenger or two before he gets too tired and falls asleep in a busy shipping lane.

Dave

Hrm... I'm 28 and I have an impulsive personality. Does it get me in trouble, hell yeah. But all the trouble is worth it. I can't say that there's a whole lot in my life that I regret because of my impulsive personality (I'll be one of the first kids on my side of the family to graduate coll. with an associates degree because of it).

Despite Trev's impulsive behavior, he's not stupid, and he seems to have common sense. Sure, we didn't see any common sense when he set sail on his boat because his dad was going to get rid of it, but emotions, especially love, can do that to a person. He has obviously had time to think about his actions since then; he's going to follow through on the course he's set sail on, love can make a person do crazy shit.

The problem here is Dirk hasn't shown Trevor any love at all. If I was in Trevor's shoes, I'd have done the same thing. Why the hell would I want to stick around somewhere where I'm not loved? Would any of you stick around in that kind of household? Most likely not. Mind you, I suspect sooner or later we'll find out what the hell is going on with Dirk, but I'm going to take this from Trevor's point of view.

Trevor is in the right, he'll make mistakes ; he's already made some in the past; he'll make mistakes in the future; He'll survive and move on. That's the nature of life.

Edited by Linxe Termoil

tutti -

He'll survive and move on.

We know he'll survive. We're only on chp 10... ;)

Being from New England, making fun of Canadians is something I grew up with. We were taught that Canadians were those nice, polite but goofy and clueless people who live north of us that we like a lot. The U.S. cousins. I don't know about the rest of the country but our poking fun at Canada was always in the same good natured fun as when siblings make fun of cousins they really like.

In the 70's only Euro tourists wore speedos on Cape Cod.

Dave

• Site Administrator

The problem here is Dirk hasn't shown Trevor any love at all. If I was in Trevor's shoes, I'd have done the same thing. Why the hell would I want to stick around somewhere where I'm not loved? Would any of you stick around in that kind of household? Most likely not. Mind you, I suspect sooner or later we'll find out what the hell is going on with Dirk, but I'm going to take this from Trevor's point of view.

What :o ???

Let's see...that mean and evil Dirk has offered to buy his son a trip to Australia so he can make contact with his Mom's relatives that may help his son who is still hurting over her loss. He also offered to pay for a 'girlfriend' if he had one, fare as well.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah, he also has shown constant concern that his teenage son doesn't have a 'normal' life because he spends every free moment with a boat. Instead of making friends, going out, goofing off, and generally being a teenager.

Somebody call social services on Dirk mad.gif . What a horrible father he has been so far based on the facts.

(no specific offence to you Linxe, I just needed to rant tongue.gif, please don't be mad at me innocent.gif )

Let's see...that mean and evil Dirk has offered to buy his son a trip to Australia so he can make contact with his Mom's relatives that may help his son who is still hurting over her loss. He also offered to pay for a 'girlfriend' if he had one, fare as well.

Ulterior motive. Most likely wanted his kid out of the house so he could shack up with Trevor's future evil step-witch...I mean, step-mom.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah, he also has shown constant concern that his teenage son doesn't have a 'normal' life because he spends every free moment with a boat. Instead of making friends, going out, goofing off, and generally being a teenager.

He's shown constant son over his son not having a 'normal' life because he wanted his kid away from that boat and not living a life like his mother had. He also wanted to squash any emotions Trevor had for his dear old mum; along with any resemblance or things in common they may have had. I just wish Trevor would get mad at his dad again and blurt out that him and his mom have a lot more in common then dear ol' Dirk thinks... they both like the sausage.

Somebody call social services on Dirk mad.gif . What a horrible father he has been so far based on the facts.

Yup, a really horrible father if you ask me.

(no specific offence to you Linxe, I just needed to rant tongue.gif, please don't be mad at me innocent.gif )

It's spelled Offense you crazy canadian cousin of mine.

(On another note, does this mean I have to stop being a perv with some of these canadian lads, since they're like...American Cousins or something??? :thumbdown: )

:sheep:

I believe the American Queen is no longer in service; it is docked at Beaumont, TX. See: http://www.steamboat...ican-queen.html

The infamous trapping was between two bridges was in Cincinnati rather than Cleveland. The American Queen later had a problem passing under a bridge at Cairo, IL due to high water.

You caught me, I always get the two crossed, at least the first letter is the same. Never heard about Cairo, IL, though... And you're right, the company that succeeded DQSC also failed after about 18 months or so.

Trebs, some interesting suppositions...here's another: Trevor's mom was a lesbian, the husband found her in bed with another woman, so he felt cheated as he was also a closeted gay man, but as Trevor was still very young, they came to an amiable solution and she decided to place her cat' on autopilot to those coordinates (where there was no wreckage found) while they filed for divorce as well. Dirk got custody of Trevor, not yet knowing that he was going to turn out gay, and he's been so busy hiding his own sexuality that he's forgotten even how to love his own son.

That ship with the auto-reporting radar system...what are the chances that Trev's mom's ship was noted and logged the same way by any other shipping firm, or even the same one?

Edited by kjames
  • Site Administrator

I added the bolds. In a few months is NOT his 18th birthday, so that's not when Trevor will find out whatever. But it COULD be when Dirk thinks Trevor would fly to Australia. Personally, I think the wife is still alive, Dirk helped her "hide" and Trevor was supposed to find out when he visited Australia. The risk is higher than Trevor can imagine because there WAS no wreck. And if it isn't that his mom is alive, it is still something that Dirk needed to wait for Trevor to visit Australia.

Other than a couple of months Trevor would be starting his senior year in High School and I can't see Dirk sending him down under then, you bring up a lot of good points.

I wonder if his mom is still alive and hiding in Australia, by him running (sailing) away, he is ruining Dirk's and his Mom's plan for him to understand the conspiracy ph34r.gif .

You've given me a lot to think about Trebs, thanks specool.gif .

I can't say (it would be a spoiler if I did) whether the freighter on autopilot and no one on watch is significant to coming events, but I can say that it's a fairly common occurrence. Also, a great many yachts have been lost due to being run down by freighters and other large ships. Several without-a-trace vanishings are suspected to be from this cause. This is an even greater danger to long-distance solo sailors, because they have to sleep sometime. They usually have radar alarms set, but those are not 100% accurate.

Sometimes I put things in just for detail and color. Sometimes I put things in as red herrings, and sometimes they are foreshadowing and will be very relevant later. :)

tutti -

These are good points. Maybe I should stick to my gut which says Dirk is gay or bi, not my brain which says he's straight. Either way his father (as written) is clearly uncomfortable discussing the gay issue. He and the lawyer did seem to be buddies and not just attorney and client. Hhhmmm, so many maybees.

Dave

You're right, falling asleep while underway is dangerous, especially in a bush shipping lane or near land. The problem is, it's required if you're crossing an ocean solo. Sailing with one or more people is definitely safer. Solo sailing is less dangerous in recent years thanks to radar alarms, but it's still risky. Also, radar can't pick up some hazards, such as floating debris that can hole a hull.

Back a decade or more ago, solo sailors didn't have radar alarms or radar. I've read a few accounts of them waking up and seeing a large ship that has just passed. There are other cases where they simply didn't wake up at all, ever, due to a collision.

Even when sailing with several aboard, things can happen. Sometimes, you get a mystery, like the entire crew just vanishing but the yacht is okay. Other times, boat and crew both vanish without a trace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1042910/Mystery-solved-Mary-Celeste-yacht-crew-disappeared-leaving-engine-running.html

I have now calmed down enough to discuss another matter that had me extremely upset. I'm sure there is tens of people ready to riot in the streets across our fair nation with this little passage:

So goat, what are you exactly saying.

Are you saying that all Canadians are gay? If I may quote Bugeye in another forum:

So was that your point CJ? That all Canadians are gay? Or was it that you think all Canadians show their junk off in Speedos when visiting the States?

No matter what, it sounds like Joel is referring to Canadians in a negative connotation. Don't put the blame on Joel, you put the words into his mouth tongue.gif .

What do you have to say for yourself CJ? The nation of Canada awaits your response biggrin.gif

Erk!

Now, now, please bear in mind that you're trying to hold me accountable for something I never said!!! I can prove it. Here's the relevant passage,

Trevor looked at Joel for a few moments, taking in his windblown blond hair, dark golden tan, and honed swimmer's physique. "What's wrong, Joel?" Trevor asked with a wicked grin. "Afraid people will think you're gay? I could hold your hand when we get to the beach if that'll help."

Joel shook his head, painting a frightened expression on his face, his eyes darting about as he lowered his voice to little more than a whisper to say, "No, I'm scared they'll think I'm Canadian."

Trevor and Lisa doubled over laughing hard, and Joel grinned before joining in.

The middle paragraph is explicit; Joel was saying that, not the narrator. So, therefor, those are Joel's words, not mine!

What did Joel mean? I can only speculate that it's something to do with the fact that Canadians are notorious for speedo-wearing in Florida. That's just a guess; for clarification, you'll have to ask Joel.

0:)

There was one part back in Chapter 7 that I think is key, and don't think people have really looked at. It is after Trevor comes back from the anniversary trip and Dirk is confronting him:

I added the bolds. In a few months is NOT his 18th birthday, so that's not when Trevor will find out whatever. But it COULD be when Dirk thinks Trevor would fly to Australia. Personally, I think the wife is still alive, Dirk helped her "hide" and Trevor was supposed to find out when he visited Australia. The risk is higher than Trevor can imagine because there WAS no wreck. And if it isn't that his mom is alive, it is still something that Dirk needed to wait for Trevor to visit Australia.

Excellent speculation and a sharp eye!!!! I can't confirm what they mean, but those are key passages. :)

Some interesting theories here lately. Robert pointed out that Dirk said "You’ll find out everything in a few months". It may be that finding out has nothing to do with the time of year (Christmas); it's coincidence that something else is important in the timing of whatever may be revealed to Trevor. I'm wondering if it's a legal matter such as a statute of limitations on some crime. There is an attorney rather prominently involved in the story.

I can confirm that "a few months" may, or may not, mean Christmas. :)

• Site Administrator

Erk!

Now, now, please bear in mind that you're trying to hold me accountable for something I never said!!! I can prove it. Here's the relevant passage,

The middle paragraph is explicit; Joel was saying that, not the narrator. So, therefor, those are Joel's words, not mine!

What did Joel mean? I can only speculate that it's something to do with the fact that Canadians are notorious for speedo-wearing in Florida. That's just a guess; for clarification, you'll have to ask Joel.

innocent.gif

This is still unacceptable to the 32 million Canadian citizens. After the protest of the tens of people we have contacted the Department of Foreign Affairs (equivalent to your State Department), and are making the following demands:

Until such time Joel or CJ clarifies the comments and makes a full apology to Canada, we will proceed with treating this incident as an act of aggression against our country. Furthermore, we respectfully request that Joel does not appear in any chapters going forward wearing a speedo mad.gif . If he should appear in a future chapter in a speedo than we will take the following actions:

• File an official complaint with the United Nations.
  • Recall our Ambassador and Consul Generals from our embassy and consulates all over the US.
  • Cut off all supply of oil and natural gas to your country (just think of all the states getting the unusual blast of winter and not having any heating fuel).
  • File a warrant for the trial of C James in the world court in The Hague for his transgressions against Canada.
  • Notify our Department of National Defense and Canada Customs and Border Services of the Canada Revenue Agency to forbid the entry or exit of any US citizen to Canada.

Consider yourself on notice Mr. James.

LangSelect_FIP.png

Sheila: Times have changed

Our kids are getting worse

They won't obey their parents

They just want to fart and curse!

Sharon: Should we blame the government?

Liane: Or blame society?

Dads: Or should we blame the images on TV?

Sheila: No, blame Canada

Everyone: Blame Canada

Sheila: With all their beady little eyes

And flapping heads so full of lies

Blame Canada

Sheila: We need to form a full assault

Everyone: It's Canada's fault!

Sharon: Don't blame me

For my son Stan

He saw the darn cartoon

And now he's off to join the Klan!

Liane: And my boy Eric once

Had my picture on his shelf

But now when I see him he tells me to f**k myself!

Sheila: Well, blame Canada

Sheila: It seems that everything's gone wrong

Since Canada came along

Blame Canada

Copy Guy: They're not even a real country anyway

Ms. McCormick: My son could've been a doctor or a lawyer rich and true,

Instead he burned up like a piggy on the barbecue

Everyone: Should we blame the matches?

Should we blame the fire?

Or the doctors who allowed him to expire?

Sheila: heck no!

Blame Canada

Sheila: With all their hockey hullabaloo

Liane: And that bitch Anne Murray too

Shame on Canada

For...

The smut we must stop

The trash we must bash

The Laughter and fun

Must all be undone

We must blame them and cause a fuss

Before somebody thinks of blaming uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!!!!

Edited by Linxe Termoil
  • Site Administrator

If he should appear in a future chapter in a speedo than we will take the following actions:

• Notify our Department of National Defense and Canada Customs and Border Services of the Canada Revenue Agency to forbid the entry or exit of any US citizen to Canada.

If I may make a small suggestion, I would advise changing this to "forbid the entry or exit of an US goats to or from Canada." There is no need to penalise the many US citizens who are not goats and therefore not a party to this event.

If I may make a small suggestion, I would advise changing this to "forbid the entry or exit of an US goats to or from Canada." There is no need to penalise the many US citizens who are not goats and therefore not a party to this event.

Both countries need to protect their citizens from mad goat disease.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..