Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Cicumnvigation - Chapter 10 - Launch

Fare well, my love. May your course be true and the winds strong.

Anchors A'weigh:

Verse 1

Stand, Navy, out to sea, Fight our battle cry;We'll never change our course, So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.Roll out the TNT , Anchors Aweigh. Sail on to victoryAnd sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray! Verse 2 (most widely sung)

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day, of day.Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam,Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home! The bridge is kept, and that the references to college are completely dropped.

And...

The Sailor's Farewell

Twas on a dark and stormy night, the snow lay on the ground

A sailor boy stood on the deck, his ship was outward bound

His sweetheart standing by his side, shed many a bitter tear

And as he clasped her to his breast, he whispered in her ear.

Farewell, farewell my own true love, this parting gives me pain

You'll be my hope, my guide, my star, till I return again

My thoughts shall be of you my love, though storms be raging high

So fare thee well, remember me, your faithful sailor boy.

So with a gale, this ship set sail, he kissed his love goodbye,

She watched the vessel out of sight till a tear bedimmed her eye

She prayed to God in heaven above, to guide him on his way

But still her lover's parting words, re-echoed o'er the bay.

Farewell, farewell my own true love, this parting gives me pain

You'll be my hope, my guide, my star, till I return again

My thoughts shall be of you my love, though storms be raging high

So fare thee well, remember me, your faithful sailor boy.

But sad to say that silip returned without her sailor boy

For he had died while outward bound and his flag was half-mast high

And when his comrades came ashore and told her he was dead

A letter he had sent to her and this is how it read.

Farewell, farewell my own true love, on earth we'll meet no more

But we shall meet in Heaven above on that eternal shore

I know that in that land so bright, that land above the sky

We'll meet, we'll meet to part no more from your faithful sailor boy.

From the Grieg-Duncan Collection of Folk Songs

Collected from James. M. Taylor

and....

Sailor's Farewell Hymn

Lyrics courtesy of www.sailorsongs.com

It's our time to go now

Haul away your anchor

haul your anchor

It's our sailing time

Get some sail upon her

Haul away your halyards

Haul away your hanyards

It's our sailing time

Get her on her course now

Haul away your fore sheet

haul away your fore sheet

It's our sailing time

Waves are rolling under

Haul away down channel

haul away down channel

On the evening tide

When my days are over

Haul away for heaven

haul away for heaven

God be by my side

It's our time to go now

Haul away your anchor

haul away your anchor

It's our sailing time

Lyrics courtesy of www.sailorsongs.com

::::wonders off to remember the hundred other times he sailed away::::

L.T.

mmm could the ares be caught by the jet stream - but gosh trev going to europe??

for the summer to oct its ok

but it seems he hasn't really though where he's going or has he??

he would go to austrailia via the artic circle?

it sounds a bit navigable but still dangerous

I think its best to go via the canada side - its english speaking

not sure how the russians feel about it even though it much easier to navigate

so if he gets to austraila and then spends time and hopefull gets

the relatives there to be on his side - sort out the issues

I wonder if after going thru a couple month voyage

would trev be up to it for a return trip

would trev consider being austrailian and leave USA?

it also means to leave his best friends

I'm surprise there aren't any relatives in USA for him

maybe they're on dirk's side?

----------

Surprising the day wasn't really celebrated special

just meals, sailing, and sex.

well thats two out of three for Trev

I see Trev was bit hungry for some buns??

its funny - though??

but it seems thats where they draw the line

imagine if Joel be willing to do it to help out his friend - sanity??

would lisa be willing to share joel to trev from time to time??

He's going round the world! Or to NY. LoL. Maybe even Canada. Or He's docking his boat and catching a bus to Nebraska :wub:

Given the title of the story, I have to believe he intends to circle the globe in Atlantis. His thoughts about the space shuttle liftoff he had just witnessed seem to make that obvious. I think he's on his way. It will be a risky adventure with the possibility of many cliffhangers along the way. As everyone knows, some of the highest cliffs on earth are on the ocean bottoms.

Circle the globe? Why? :blink:

No doubt it would be an adventure, but it would put the whole story on hold for a very long time. I don't get it.

Joel has to stay in the story on a regular basis. :wub:

Ok, what's up with Joel being concerned that people will think he's Canadian??? :angry:

That was a sweet chapter. I really enjoyed it. :2thumbs:

Why not? That's what's indicated by the story title.

No doubt it would be an adventure, but it would put the whole story on hold for a very long time. I don't get it.

Why would the story be put on hold? The story will be about the adventure. It's what you call an adventure story.

Why is that? I'm sure Trevor would like to have his best friend sail with him, but it's not necessary. The most noteworthy circumnavigations are solo trips. There have been several over the years, including some by teenagers and some by the elderly.

A Life on the Ocean Wave

A life on the ocean wave,

A-home on the rolling deep!

Where the scater'd waters rave,

And the winds their revels keep.

Like an eagle caged I pine

On this dull, unchanging shore.

Oh give me the flashing brine,

The spray and the tempest's roar.

Refrain:

Where the scater'd waters rave

And the winds their revels keep,

: The winds,..... the winds...

The winds their revels...keep. :

2. Once more on the deck I stand,

Of my own swift, gliding craft.

Set sail, farewell to land,

The gale follows fair abaft.

We shoot thro' the sparkling foam,

Like an ocean bird set free.

Like the ocean bird, our home,

We'll find far out on the sea.

Refrain:

3. The land is no longer in view,

The clouds have begun to frown.

But with a stout vessel and crew,

We'll say : Let the storm come down!

And the song of our heart shall be,

While the winds and waters lave:

A life on the heaving sea,

A-home on the bounding wave!

Refrain:

Henry Russell http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/

B).................It does look it it will be a long parting from his friends with Trevor deciding to sail north. I'm guessing he is headed to Canada to pick up a crewmate! :boy: After all, the clue was clearly given;

This story gets better by each chapter, I like all the characters , even Trevs dad because he at least show concern for Trevor. Why would Trevor go to Austrailia, ok his mother family comes from there, but if Trevors never met them in 17 years why bother now. Unless of course his mother is living in Austrailia!

This story gets better by each chapter, I like all the characters , even Trevs dad because he at least show concern for Trevor. Why would Trevor go to Austrailia, ok his mother family comes from there, but if Trevors never met them in 17 years why bother now. Unless of course his mother is living in Austrailia!

You have a good point. We don't know know with certainty that Rachel is dead. The only sure thing is that she is missing. Dirk had suggested Trevor go to Australia at Christmas to meet his mother's family. She may be there too.

Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main.

For many a stormy wind shall blow

E'er Jack comes home again.

Oh, sailing, sailing, over the bounding main.

For many a stormy wind shall blow

E'er Jack comes home again.

Edited by MikeL

You have a good point. We don't know know with certainty that Rachel is dead. The only sure thing is that she is missing. Dirk had suggested Trevor go to Australia at Christmas to meet his mother's family. She may be there too.

B).............Except that would make no sense at all, if Trevor's mother is alive and well in Austraila. The resentment Trevor would have for his dad may never be forgiven. Why would he allow his son to go dangerously looking for the missing mom, if she was alive and well? And remember Dirk is already consulting his lawyer about possible ramifications should Trevor uncover 'something'. The other mystery is the lawyer, Dirk's weekly jaunts are possibly to see him.

Given the title of the story, I have to believe he intends to circle the globe in Atlantis. His thoughts about the space shuttle liftoff he had just witnessed seem to make that obvious. I think he's on his way. It will be a risky adventure with the possibility of many cliffhangers along the way. As everyone knows, some of the highest cliffs on earth are on the ocean bottoms.

I Know ;) I was being sarcastic...I'm not used to getting up soooo flipping early...

B).............Except that would make no sense at all, if Trevor's mother is alive and well in Austraila. The resentment Trevor would have for his dad may never be forgiven. Why would he allow his son to go dangerously looking for the missing mom, if she was alive and well? And remember Dirk is already consulting his lawyer about possible ramifications should Trevor uncover 'something'. The other mystery is the lawyer, Dirk's weekly jaunts are possibly to see him.

We don't know Dirk's motive for suggesting the trip to Australia; I think, too, he was intending that Trevor fly there. We don't know the circumstances surrounding Rachel's disappearance; finding her in Australia won't necessarily result in Trevor being more hostile toward his father...it depends on the explanation for her disappearance. Any trips Dirk is making to see his attorney could be totally unrelated to the mystery surrounding his wife.

mmm could the ares be caught by the jet stream - but gosh trev going to europe??

for the summer to oct its ok

but it seems he hasn't really though where he's going or has he??

he would go to austrailia via the artic circle?

it sounds a bit navigable but still dangerous

I think its best to go via the canada side - its english speaking

not sure how the russians feel about it even though it much easier to navigate

so if he gets to austraila and then spends time and hopefull gets

the relatives there to be on his side - sort out the issues

I wonder if after going thru a couple month voyage

would trev be up to it for a return trip

would trev consider being austrailian and leave USA?

it also means to leave his best friends

I'm surprise there aren't any relatives in USA for him

maybe they're on dirk's side?

----------

Surprising the day wasn't really celebrated special

just meals, sailing, and sex.

well thats two out of three for Trev

I see Trev was bit hungry for some buns??

its funny - though??

but it seems thats where they draw the line

imagine if Joel be willing to do it to help out his friend - sanity??

would lisa be willing to share joel to trev from time to time??

Trevor could go via the Northeast passage; Head north of Europe and across the top of Russia, then down into the Pacific via the Bearing Strait between Russia and Alaska, but that route, while navigable in late summer, would be exceedingly difficult, and he would encounter a great deal of floating ice. Or, he could be attempting a direct across-the-pole route, such as the one I mentioned for Dirk as a possible circumnavigation route to Miami. 0:)

My own personal theory is he will head up the US East Coast until he gets to Maine, and then hang a left, sailing along the US northern boarder, westward to the Pacific. All he would have to do is attach skis to Atlantis: they do call Canada the "Great White North" after all. 0:)

Okay, to be honest, I will say this; taking the Gulf Stream north and then cutting east across the Atlantic would be his most viable route to Europe, if that's where he's going. The mid-latitude winds that time of year blow east, and there is often a high pressure center near Bermuda called the Bermuda High, and high pressure cells rotate counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, giving strong easterly winds on the northern edge. This would be the most common eastbound route for an under-sail voyage from Florida to Europe. The northbound track makes sense. Europe is further north than many people realize; Paris, France is at the same latitude as Newfoundland, for example. :)

He's going round the world! Or to NY. LoL. Maybe even Canada. Or He's docking his boat and catching a bus to Nebraska :wub:

Aww, why can't he sail to Nebraska? 0:)

Isn't anyone going to buy my explanation for the title of Durk taking the long (long, LONG!) way around to get to Miami? Or that Trevor Circumnavigated Grand Bahama Island?

The shuttle liftoff is kind of symbolic in some ways. In the prologue there is a shuttle launch as well.

And shame on you for mentioning cliffs!! There surely can be in such things in a story of mine! :P

Ok, what's up with Joel being concerned that people will think he's Canadian??? :angry:

That was a sweet chapter. I really enjoyed it. :2thumbs:

All I can say about putting the story on hold for a long time is... wait for chapter 11. ;)

Now, you can't very well blame me for what Joel said about Canadians...

Joel shook his head, painting a frightened expression on his face, his eyes darting about as he lowered his voice to little more than a whisper to say,

When Dirk proposed the trip, you're right, he was indeed intending that Trevor fly. Trevor would have had to; the trip was to be over Christmas break, and that's only about two and a half weeks.

oww General Graeme will give him the VIP tour and the Key to grass hut!! for Circumnavigating

the GA Authors australian group will ask Trev for his blue speedos to bronze them so the county can rememeber him when he returns home

Trev would love to sail NAKED!! back home.

he can sail to nebraska - just that the boat will be on a truck going to the pacific.

so he can save on the panama canal toll fee

yaa the Title should have been LUNCH because thats what they had thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

oh - Dirk will be serving the 190 school days in jail for his son missing school!!!

then serve jail time - for his son's death being a bad parent!!!

oww General Graeme will give him the VIP tour and the Key to grass hut!! for Circumnavigating

the GA Authors australian group will ask Trev for his blue speedos to bronze them so the county can rememeber him when he returns home

Trev would love to sail NAKED!! back home.

he can sail to nebraska - just that the boat will be on a truck going to the pacific.

so he can save on the panama canal toll fee

yaa the Title should have been LUNCH because thats what they had thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

oh - Dirk will be serving the 190 school days in jail for his son missing school!!!

then serve jail time - for his son's death being a bad parent!!!

Trevor is 17. If Florida law is similar to New Jersey law, then he no longer is required to attend secondary school. He could have legally dropped out at 16.

Bad parenting... yeah, Dirk was a dick. :P

Aww, why can't he sail to Nebraska? 0:)

Well now, I think he could. If I'm right he'd have to sail up the Mississippi River. He can enter that one when he turns that tub around and heads into the Gulf of Mexico toward New Orleans and then he can get on the Missouri River and past the Rulo Bridge. I could meet him in Nebraska City when he sails under the bridge, or i, I could make it to Omaha or anywhere else along the River ;)

Alas, No sailing to Lincoln for him.

Wikipedia

It flows east across the plains of Montana into North Dakota, then turns southeast, flowing into South Dakota, and along the north and eastern edge of Nebraska, forming part of its border with South Dakota and all of its border with Iowa, flowing past Sioux City and Omaha. It forms the entire boundary between Nebraska and Missouri and part of the boundary between Missouri and Kansas. At Kansas City, it turns generally eastward, flowing across Missouri where it joins the Mississippi just north of St. Louis.

Alas, I have no idea how deep the bloody rivers are, so, it all depends on the depth of the bloody rivers.

Trevor is 17. If Florida law is similar to New Jersey law, then he no longer is required to attend secondary school. He could have legally dropped out at 16.

Bad parenting... yeah, Dirk was a dick. :P

In Florida it's either 16 or 17, and the Florida Department of Education cites BOTH ages. :blink: Ah, Florida! :wacko: (and if Emoe reads this, I'm in trouble!) :ph34r:

Alas, I have no idea how deep the bloody rivers are, so, it all depends on the depth of the bloody rivers.

Depth wouldn't be a problem at all. Atlantis has a draft of about 3 and a half feet in salt water, so she'd be deeper in fresh water, but not by more than an inch or so. But, it's height that would be the roadblock: the Missisippi would be navigable for Atlantis only until Cape Girardeau, MO, because the bridge there is too low. Everything south of there has over a hundred foot clearance, but the mast wouldn't fit under the Cape Girardeau bridge, or anything north of it. :-)

The only answer, of course, is to blame Canada! (I do!) :music::ph34r:

Depth wouldn't be a problem at all. Atlantis has a draft of about 3 and a half feet in salt water, so she'd be deeper in fresh water, but not by more than an inch or so. But, it's height that would be the roadblock: the Missisippi would be navigable for Atlantis only until Cape Girardeau, MO, because the bridge there is too low. Everything south of there has over a hundred foot clearance, but the mast wouldn't fit under the Cape Girardeau bridge, or anything north of it. :-)

The old bridge over the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau was replaced in 2003. The new bridge is shown below:

104374-M.jpg104376-M.jpg

The bridge has a clearance of 60 feet. Clearance would vary significantly depending on the time of year, usually being less in the spring when the Mississippi carries virtually all the snow melt from the Midwestern US and nearly all drainage from the west of the Appalachian Mountains. Nearly half of the land area of the US lies within the Mississippi River basin:

Mississippi-map.gif

The Atlantis would have other problems "sailing" up the Mississippi. One is the lack of southerly winds plus the fact that the river meanders a lot, essentially flowing all different directions. Another is the strong southward current. The only practical approach would be to dismantle the Atlantis' main mast and burn a lot of fuel motoring up the Mississippi and Missouri to Nebraska.

Guest Wyndham

Thank you CJ for another great chapter.

Personally I don't mind where Trevor sails as long as he gets naked sometime soon :P

OK, I've caught up again.

Well it seems that my own suspission (not expressed) that Dirk is a gay closet case seeing some guy up north is now dead. The mystery man on the phone is the lawyer. So it's back to Dirk just not wanting a gay son. The underlying reason that Dirk has this reaction is not very evident. He isn't a dyed in the wool southern bigot so I feel it's best to just watch for the underlying irritation to surface more clearly. He loves his son.

I'll say it again. Mom is still alive. B) It is an intriguing idea that she might be in Australia. But we still have no idea what it was she did that was so bad she had to drop out of life. It does not seem to have effected Dad. Maybe I should just say that our dear author has not yet allowed us to see any effect it may have had on Dads' life or lifestyle. :whistle: "All in good time my pretty, all in good time..."

He's heading UP the Gulf Stream with the intent of going to Australia? Hello! :huh: That has got to be the longest possible route to get there. He is not equipped clothing wise to cross the north Atlantic even in the summer. I grew up in New England and have been as far out as Georges Bank for summer fishing and it aint Florida. Plus once you take that right turn off the Maritimes the trade winds are no longer being warmed by a landmass. The North Atlantic has a well earned reputation for being a rough ocean. (Approx. 20-25% of all colonists btw 1500 and 1800 AD never made it to the New World/Colonies) I hope he pulls in to resupply and/or changes his mind and his route. After the crossing he still has two of the most dangerous passages on the planet ahead of him, for different reasons. The Cape of Good Hope has storms that sink modern merchant ships even now. Then there is the problem of a teenage boy sailing an expensive looking boat through the Eastern Med, the Suez Canal, and the always bad Red and Arabian seas. Piracy off the Horn of Africa and outside the Persian Gulf has always happened. We just hear about it more these last couple of years because they're not just going after pleasure craft. Sure there is a bit of piracy even in the Caribean, but not on the scale of the Red/Arabian Seas or the waters off Indonesia and Malaya. Much safer to take the (sorta) shorter route by way of the Panama Canal and then try to hit the south Pacific islands. Hhhhmmm, dammit I can't remember where the westerly traveling Spanish Fleets used to pick up the trade winds. God that Pacific is huge!

We don't know how good he is at navagation. It's one thing to GPS his butt around the Bahamas, but quite a bit different to cross say the southern Indian Ocean and hit Australia. He should do some sort of practise run like navigating by sun and stars to Burmuda. Maybe try for Ireland and if he hits Lands End he realises he's going to have to get help or get some nav education fast. GPS units are just another computer and they can crash or have battery failure.

I do hope that some where along the journey the boy gets to enjoy some sex. Personally I'd like to see him have a few flings and trists on the way to Australia and then maybe meet someone more serious who travels with him back to the USA. Lots of adventures either way!

Dave

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..