I collect minerals. Today I got new specimens:

Wulfenite

Wulfenite.jpg

The crystals are PbMoO4 which makes them a key source of molybdenum. Amazing that lead would make beautiful red-orange crystals. The sample came from Mexico.

Vanadinite

vanadinite.jpg

The crystals in Vanadinite are Pb5(VO4)3Cl. It is a major source of the industrial metal Vandium.

What other hobbies do GA members have?

• Like 2

Wulfenite

The crystals are PbMoO4 which makes them a key source of molybdenum. Amazing that lead would make beautiful red-orange crystals. The sample came from Mexico.

Vanadinite

The crystals in Vanadinite are Pb5(VO4)3Cl. It is a major source of the industrial metal Vandium.

Ahh james, now you're speaking my language :P I'm doing a lot of courses in my degree on inorganic and structural chemistry, a huge part of which is solids and solid (in this case) crystal structures. Very interesting stuff indeed.

Gorgeous color!

MIDI

Photography

(Just getting into) HD Video'ing

Editing multi-camera HD video and audio

Steve³

Working with Video is a very interesting medium. I'm looking into getting into it myself more extensively come this summer.

For myself, I skateboard, Snowboard, and produce music. Pretty simple :P

Edited by Skyline

Other than reading and reading some more, I love scratch building Model railroad accessories. The hubby's hobby is Model railroading itself, and My hobby just complements that! :D :D

Although I have to admit i am NOT very good at building them... I like to help and all of them are coloured be me :D . There.. so I colour them! :D

Also, we both share a love for astronomy (and i built my telescope too :D ). :)

The reason i mentioned both of them....

Here are pictures of my favourite Ships,

Sirius

Sirius%2B1.jpg

and Betelgeuse.

Betelgeuse%2B2.jpg

Too obvious, huh? :wacko:

The entire fleet can be seen Here! and all the other stuff... here. :D

• Like 1

Wulfenite

Wulfenite.jpg

Vanadinite

vanadinite.jpg

WOW! just wow! :) :)

Reading, writing, video games, movies, pro wrestling. That's pretty much it. I don't lead a very interesting life :P I used to snowboard and take Tae Kwon Do but I don't do that anymore. Actually I'd probably have a longer list of things I used to do but don't anymore, <_<

My hoppy is kinda wrapped around GA these days. Reading here, writing here, talking to peeps here...

Well... I do some art too just for fun.

My job plays the hobby role too, I get all the exercise I want from it.

My hobby: writing a story about my family, of both sides, the German one, going back till the 18th century and the Russian one, going back till middle of the 17th century. (I checked documents on a genealogy upon eight generations).

The first step was to research all the documents to be found in public archives or in records from private collections. Although many documents disappeared during WWII, you can’t imagine what you are able to find thanks Internet. My youngest son is a champion for that and helps me a lot. Then, I have a collection of old photos and letters, from the 19th and the 20th century (the eldest about 1835 for the letters and 1860 for the pics). I never counted all documents; there are more than 500 pieces!

The second step (it’s the one I’m on now) is to collect the documents, make copies (because the originals are often in bad condition) and classify by dates and matters. They are written in German, French and in two Russian languages (Old Russian till the middle of 19th century). My son is responsible of the translation of the Russian ones. It’s one of his hobbies. My story will be written in French, so I have to translate myself the German ones.

The third step will be to write the story itself, as a book for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. The table of contents and some chapters are already done, as a lot of notes for the further chapters. My only regret: I don’t give myself enough time for this work. Sometimes, I’m too lazy; sometimes I have too much to do in my professional work.

My hopes: I will live enough to finish my book, even if I’m not sure if all who come after me will find enough interest to read it :P.

Edited by old bob
  • Like 1

I used to play Dungeons and Dragons. 3.0 and 3.5. 4.0 came along after my life got crazy. Couldn't afford the books even if I had had the time. Still, I love to paint the miniatures.

That and I like hiking. The best part about going home are the summers I'll have available to go backpacking and canoeing out in the wilds. :)

• Site Administrator

Well I do photography, as anyone who has been in chat with me on a day I take pictures can attest :P I also really enjoy hiking, the kids and I do a lot of it during the summer, there are a ton of trails within an hour of my house with a lot of scenic areas which just feeds my photography. I am also a hunter, my husband and I both use bows so I practice that year round. Reading, writing, baking... that about sums me up!

I like opera. laugh.gif I also like to play the piano, write, and come up with game ideas, even though I don't have the proper software to develop them yet. And... I also have a great interest in pathology, as irrelevant to my other hobbies as it is.