[Adam Phillips] Crosscurrents, Chapter 29

Chapter 29 of Crosscurrents has been posted.

True to his resolve in the previous chapter, Andy decides to Walk A Different Way.

Finally. I was getting pretty sick of that kid.

B)

At last :D A transition in the story.. I'm tired dealing with the PAINS you'd caused me from the last chapters.. :)

Can't wait for chapter 30!

• Like 1

Chapter 29 of Crosscurrents has been posted.

True to his resolve in the previous chapter, Andy decides to Walk A Different Way.

Finally. I was getting pretty sick of that kid.

B)

Agreed :P

I'm glad Andy is finally moving forward.....even though......well...you know my take on this ;p

I typically have a really hard time with the, "I'm in love with you and you," deal, but somehow the honesty in the words you put on the page makes me buy into it. I really feel like Andy is supposed to be with Angie now. Up to this point though, I've been cheering for Matt. I really want to see how things are resolved. I want it more for Matt's sake, than Andy's though. I think I might be more angry with Andy in this chapter when he is putting himself back together, than I have been anywhere else in the story. Its just coming home how much he hurt Matt.

If your heart is wired that way, you really can't have a much better woman than Angie. Man. Whatever her parents did to raise her, they did it right. I wish there were more confident, level women like her in this world.

Don't forget that Angie and Matt have known Andy for a long time.

And there's been hints in the story that the people who've known Andy the best have been trying to figure out how to essentially have an intervention with Andy over the way's he has been acting for years now.

Excellent chapter, Adam. Wonder what that conversation between Andy and Matt is going to be like this time.:ph34r:

As usual, good writing which tugs at the heart. I am wondering if the prolog takes place in the day or two before the planned 4th of July party. The conversation between Andy and Matt would then take place where they have lots of history and perhaps allow them to find a way to heal and still meet both their needs. This story reminds me of A Map of the Harbor Islands, a novel by J. G. Hayes. Amazing read if you haven't tried it. Go Andy!

As usual, good writing which tugs at the heart. I am wondering if the prolog takes place in the day or two before the planned 4th of July party. The conversation between Andy and Matt would then take place where they have lots of history and perhaps allow them to find a way to heal and still meet both their needs. This story reminds me of A Map of the Harbor Islands, a novel by J. G. Hayes. Amazing read if you haven't tried it. Go Andy!

Hey there, Lord Skovo. But I thought you were a bear, not a dog...:boy:

I have read and admired everything Joe Hayes has written. I'm especially crazy about A Map of the Harbor Islands, although I'm equally crazy about the short story "Regular Flattop."

I used to correspond with Joe fairly regularly. He has read Crosscurrents, and I have had the honor of reading a draft of his latest, as-yet-unpublished, novel. It's been a while since I've heard from him, but he's a hell of a guy, and I'm honored to be mentioned in the same breath. I'd like to have a tenth of his ability.

Anyone who hasn't read his stuff is advised to pick up a used copy of the short story collection (it's out of print) This Thing Called Courage and especially to check out the first story, "Regular Flattop." It's as close to perfect as a literary work can be. Then, after he's warmed and broken your heart with that one, read the rest, and then pick up a used copy of (also out of print) A Map of the Harbor Islands.

Joe is, for my money, the undisputed king of gay coming-of-age narrative. He writes with skill, instinct, and heart. And he writes true.

I have read and admired everything Joe Hayes has written. I'm especially crazy about A Map of the Harbor Islands, although I'm equally crazy about the short story "Regular Flattop."

I used to correspond with Joe fairly regularly. He has read Crosscurrents, and I have had the honor of reading a draft of his latest, as-yet-unpublished, novel. It's been a while since I've heard from him, but he's a hell of a guy, and I'm honored to be mentioned in the same breath. I'd like to have a tenth of his ability.

Anyone who hasn't read his stuff is advised to pick up a used copy of the short story collection (it's out of print) This Thing Called Courage and especially to check out the first story, "Regular Flattop." It's as close to perfect as a literary work can be. Then, after he's warmed and broken your heart with that one, read the rest, and then pick up a used copy of (also out of print) A Map of the Harbor Islands.

Joe is, for my money, the undisputed king of gay coming-of-age narrative. He writes with skill, instinct, and heart. And he writes true.

I'm definetly giving these books a try. At Swim Two Boys as well. It was mentioned in ITWB and I read a synopses and some reviews for it. It sounds good. I'm sure you read it too Adam...did you like it? :)

I'm definetly giving these books a try. At Swim Two Boys as well. It was mentioned in ISWB and I read a synopses and some reviews for it. It sounds good. I'm sure you read it too Adam...did you like it? :)

I loved At Swim, Two Boys. But you have to be patient with it. The thick Irish dialect he quotes makes the first fifty pages most intimidating, and in addition to that, the pace is leisurely, so if you're looking for hard-hitting action and plot development, you might be disappointed. But things do get moving eventually.

Make no mistake, this is some pretty serious literature. But it's an incredible book. And be forewarned: If your emotions ride close to the surface, you're going to cry buckets at the end.

• Like 1

I loved At Swim, Two Boys. But you have to be patient with it. The thick Irish dialect he quotes makes the first fifty pages most intimidating, and in addition to that, the pace is leisurely, so if you're looking for hard-hitting action and plot development, you might be disappointed. But things do get moving eventually.

Make no mistake, this is some pretty serious literature. But it's an incredible book. And be forewarned: If your emotions ride close to the surface, you're going to cry buckets at the end.

Yeah...some of the reviewers warned me about that. But I would really like to give it a try. And what's so bad about learning some irish dialect in the process? :P

Yes...it has gotten some amazing reviews! Lol...my emotions do run close to the surface...I cried buckets in CC too....but that's alright...I love stories like that.

I can already guess that's there's not going to be a happy ending...but sometimes it just has to be like that.

Anyway...how about A Map of Harbour Islands? ;p

Yeah...some of the reviewers warned me about that. But I would really like to give it a try. And what's so bad about learning some irish dialect in the process? :P

Yes...it has gotten some amazing reviews! Lol...my emotions do run close to the surface...I cried buckets in CC too....but that's alright...I love stories like that.

I can already guess that's there's not going to be a happy ending...but sometimes it just has to be like that.

Anyway...how about A Map of Harbour Islands? ;p

Personally I think you'll love A Map of the Harbor Islands. Not everybody's as crazy about it as I am. It's easy to read...but Joe Hayes is kind of an odd guy, and one of his two main characters, Petey, is definitely an odd guy.

But this story had so many points of resonance with my own life and history, though the personalities involved and their adventures were very different, that I was totally riveted. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll smile.

It's a book that made me rejoice.

• Like 1

Personally I think you'll love A Map of the Harbor Islands. Not everybody's as crazy about it as I am. It's easy to read...but Joe Hayes is kind of an odd guy, and one of his two main characters, Petey, is definitely an odd guy.

But this story had so many points of resonance with my own life and history, though the personalities involved and their adventures were very different, that I was totally riveted. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll smile.

It's a book that made me rejoice.

Haha....that sounds good. I've read a synopsis and review for this one as well. I know what happens to Petey. So it's not as heartbreaking as At Swim, Two Boys?

If it's anything like CC...I have to read it! xD

Anyway..thanks a lot Adam...you made me really excited for these books! I'm gonna let you know what I think when I'm done with them...that is....if you want to hear my ramblings :P

Edited by Anya

Don't sell yourself short, you write very well indeed. I just got Batting for Boston and This Thing Call Courage and am looking forward to reading them both. I also recommend Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. At Swim, Two Boys was also really good, poignant, depicts time gone by and evokes emotion. Keep writing, you have the gift, Adam.